Driveclub is the Most-Played PS4 Driving Title with Estimated 10.5 Million Players

I don't own a PlayStation 4, and I am not as intrigued about Driveclub based on reviews and impressions. Seeing this article, though, makes me want to look at Driveclub. I see more people play with The Crew series outside of all the people who talk about how bad Driveclub is. Or maybe I've heard too many negative reviews without really playing Driveclub and judge for myself.

Either way, this is pretty interesting news. Maybe I will consider the Driveclub if and when I get a PS4.

In 2014 the four biggest racing games at the time were The Crew 1, Forza Horizon 2, Project C.A.R.S 1 (Although that would come out in 2015) and Driveclub. I supported Driveclub out of all of them because I believed that it was more than just graphics.

It was my first PS4 game and is still in my library four years later. The sheer amount of support from Paul and Evolution studios made me love this game. The handling never hit that level of Horizon, but I always felt that this was a mix of Forza, and the Blackbox NFS titles. This is what the handling of 2015 and Payback should've been. But it was more than that. The car selection rivaled that of the Classic-Era NFS and Test Drive Games and being the first appearance of cars such as the FXX-K and P1 GTR I'm saddened that this game could've stayed just a little more longer when EA's Porsche Liscence expired. Cars such as the 918, 911 GT2, and Carrera GT would've been a perfect fit for this game even adding other cars such as the Vulcan too.

The tracks were really good especially props for each country to have their own circuit. lol The weather system is still just as good as some of the current racers today and still has one of the best photo modes in any game out there. To me the addition of City Tracks made Driveclub the true spiritual succesor to Project Gotham Racing in it's entirety.

I think Sony made a mistake in dropping Evolution studios, cause this game did make it's strides and came back thanks to the incredible support and passion from the people who made this game. I think having Driveclub still going on while GT Sport is out would've been great for Sony having two exclusive racers that could appeal to both crowds. Forza Horizon 4 is my favorite racing game this generation....But DRIVECLUB is a dead-close second.

Thank You Paul, Thank You Evo for this game. #DRIVECLUBFOREVER :)

Best arcade racing game of the gen :bowdown::gtpflag:

1547130132-driveclub-tm-20190110145120.png

This game. The visuals, the physics, the presentation, the soundtrack. Everything hit the right notes. The landscapes were so real it made me appreciate the beauty of the natural world even more. The cinematic soundtrack broadened my listening palette and made me fall in love with Hybrid's sound again. While everybody else was shooting for the moon, Evolution Studios was shooting for the sun. Sony made a huge mistake pulling the plug on them, and it is going to be a very sad day when the servers are eventually shut down.

This game. The visuals, the physics, the presentation, the soundtrack. Everything hit the right notes. The landscapes were so real it made me appreciate the beauty of the natural world even more. The cinematic soundtrack broadened my listening palette and made me fall in love with Hybrid's sound again. While everybody else was shooting for the moon, Evolution Studios was shooting for the sun. Sony made a huge mistake pulling the plug on them, and it is going to be a very sad day when the servers are eventually shut down.

I wonder when will the licenses for the cars expire? As far as I know it's often after five years. That would be in this year. Hopefully they won't shut down servers too. I really have to buy a digital version to got it always ready for playing. Luckily I got a steelbook when it was released. It looks beautiful.

@MidnightRush:

Porsche in DRIVECLUB would have been so cool. A PS4 Pro update for this game could have been a great opportunity to fix the problem with the jaggies. It's the weak spot of this game when you play at daytime. Otherwise it still looks very nice and with rain and snow it is gorgeous.

What confuses me always, why did Sony close Evolution? According to Sony's Jim Ryan the game sold very well and I don't think it was as expensive as GT5 when it came out.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...absent-from-sonys-show-the-jim-ryan-interview

Difference is that driveclub is a much smaller game than gt5. Gt5 has more customization.
You can upgrade cars, unlike driveclub. Gt5 has Much more content overall, so driveclub should by no means be the same price

I don't own a PlayStation 4, and I am not as intrigued about Driveclub based on reviews and impressions. Seeing this article, though, makes me want to look at Driveclub. I see more people play with The Crew series outside of all the people who talk about how bad Driveclub is. Or maybe I've heard too many negative reviews without really playing Driveclub and judge for myself.

Either way, this is pretty interesting news. Maybe I will consider the Driveclub if and when I get a PS4.
Its worth reading some of the re-reviews of it, as a lot changed in less than a year.

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/defence-drvieclub-and-why-its-time-get-back-behind-wheel/
https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/driveclub-review/

#FailClub
The most played racer on PS4 is a fail.

Interesting logic.

Difference is that driveclub is a much smaller game than gt5. Gt5 has more customization.
You can upgrade cars, unlike driveclub. Gt5 has Much more content overall, so driveclub should by no means be the same price
That's not really how game pricing works, and the season pass for DC, the VR side (which sold half a million in its own right) and the Bikes add-on all brought in additional revenue, how much additional revenue has GT DLC brought in this gen?

Last edited:

Yes, this is what I mean. Not as expensive as GT5 and sold "very well", so why did they close them? For me there is only one explaination: SONY didn't see a future for DRIVECLUB and maybe Evolution had the idea for ONRUSH in their heads but Sony rejected it, both as a new IP and as a reboot for the MOTORSTORM series.

That's a pretty poor criteria. I mean RDR2 has a budget of 300+ million dollars, loads of content, if this game is sold for $60 most other games should be under $10 at release.

Driveclub is phenomenal, having completed every single piece of content the game has to offer (outside all the Elite levels because the XP gates are just too much), I can handidly say this is the best racing game on PS4.

I was happy to find out DriveClub VR has a new campign but I just can’t bring myself to play it with such poor image quality. Resolution just ruins the fun.

On the subject of Sony, them closing Evo, Studio Liverpool and the new direction of GT is ultimately what made me decide to go PC for the next gen and leave the brand behind. They no longer have time for the type of games I love - and that’s fine, times (and focus) change. Just count me out of the third party action game plethora.

For me both Driveclub and Drivecub Bikes are not good games. Sony made a right decision not working with its developer anymore.

Sony made a right decision not working with its developer anymore.
Right in what way? Driveclub sold well on its own , it sold PS4 units as it was the only racing title at launch so it made money for sony and people want a sequel all things considered this decision dosen't seem right.

I've written down my long winded thoughts on this game on lots of other threads so I'll keep this brief. I only bought my PS4 for Driveclub and GT Sport. One of them simulated torque steer and lift off oversteer in FF cars, the other didn't. Guess which game does (hint: it's not the one self proclaiming "The Real Driving Simulator").

It's really a shame that they botched the launch. Imagine what Evo Studios could do with PD's budget and if Driveclub has the same post release support as GT Sport. Probably we'll see the McLaren Speedtail, AM Valkyrie and AMG One in one of the upcoming updates :(

Was on the game the other night. In terms of gifted arcade game, it's great. And amazingly still looks pretty good too.
The single thing I wish we could have done was to change the brake bias - if you look at replays very often the rears are lighting up before the fronts, causing the oversteer etc. Getting the bias right would have (in my opinion) made the game.
Next request would have been tyres followed by real-world tracks.
Overall, lovely game, glad I own it.

Right in what way? Driveclub sold well on its own , it sold PS4 units as it was the only racing title at launch so it made money for sony and people want a sequel all things considered this decision dosen't seem right.
Right in sim racing game's view. Remember the hype before the game was launched? There is high hope for this game to match with Forza and Gran Turismo. But this game is no bigger than Need for Speed. I think Driveclub is made for kids.

Was on the game the other night. In terms of gifted arcade game, it's great. And amazingly still looks pretty good too.
The single thing I wish we could have done was to change the brake bias - if you look at replays very often the rears are lighting up before the fronts, causing the oversteer etc. Getting the bias right would have (in my opinion) made the game.
Next request would have been tyres followed by real-world tracks.
Overall, lovely game, glad I own it.

DRIVECLUB_20190127151542.png

The front brakes are stronger than the rear's. It is not with every car the same though! I agree the game could use a few tweaks but if you activate the hardcore drivingmodel, the driving changes completely and also your brakingpoints, steeringinput, levels of grip etc etc.

Car licenses can expire for a game made by a studio that shut down? :confused:

I think so at least. That doesn't mean that the cars disappear from the game once you bought it but the game won't be sold in the PS Store. Same happened to Forza Horizon 1. And yes I know, Playground Games is still a thing. I just hope this doesn't happen to DRIVECLUB but I wouldn't be surprised since Rushy said on Twitter that for every racing game licenses have an expire date. Question is, when?

Right in sim racing game's view. Remember the hype before the game was launched? There is high hope for this game to match with Forza and Gran Turismo. But this game is no bigger than Need for Speed. I think Driveclub is made for kids.
Oh please you had to use "its made for kids" to make an argument... but to answer your question people can expect anything they want in thair minds
a good example of (ironicly) is GT Sport because people were expecting GT7 with 1500 100 tracks or whatever but you know the rest.... also (ironicly) again is how you used GT Sport as an example of a Sim to downplay driveclub when GTS has many major physics flaws.

You mean the series that on PS4 has more players than GTS has? That would be Need for Speed......

upload_2019-1-29_11-27-36.png

....of which DC has more players than any single NfS title on PS4 and more than GTS.

Its an odd argument to try and use given that both NfS and DC are 'bigger' games than GTS in that regard.

As for sim racing titles, DC never made such a claim at all, not once, and a strong argument can be made for GTS and Forza only just making the cut in that regard.

Your closing mark also goes to show just how absurd your remark is, given the numbers it seems quite a few more players than just kids have picked it up. Then again I do have to take account that you seem to be a GTS fan attempting to play the Sim-Purist card, which is utterly hilarious (particularly given that an arcade title managed to simulate FWD torque steer and FWD lift off oversteer better than your chosen sim does).

I get it, you love GTS and don't seem happy that others might like other titles as well, or that an arcade title has more players than GTS has. However to attempt to use that as a sly dig at anyone who does like DC (made for kids) really does you no favours.

Lots of love, a 48 year old 'kid' with a deep love of everything from arcade racers right through to sims.

Driveclub is cheap if get a second hand copy.

Then ther is so much dlc content that really count, and bikes the ride games are terrible if you have a ps4 love cars and racing games you need this.

Even for an arcade claimed racing games, Driveclub isn't good enough for me because the physics is too unrealistic. It launched long before GT appears on PS4, sold on PS4 bundles, its price got cut for years, making it sells well. I may be a GT fan, but I like other racing games too. Driveclub Bikes is also really suck compared to Ride and MotoGP titles. Dunno why this game gets so many positive feed backs even by medias.

Even for an arcade claimed racing games, Driveclub isn't good enough for me because the physics is too unrealistic. It launched long before GT appears on PS4, sold on PS4 bundles, its price got cut for years, making it sells well. I may be a GT fan, but I like other racing games too. Driveclub Bikes is also really suck compared to Ride and MotoGP titles. Dunno why this game gets so many positive feed backs even by medias.
So you are basecally saying Sony was right to close down evoloution studios because you specifically didn't like the game? Please don't you ever open a business for our sakes. Oh by the way you may want to correct your grammar errors.

Even for an arcade claimed racing games, Driveclub isn't good enough for me because the physics is too unrealistic. It launched long before GT appears on PS4, sold on PS4 bundles, its price got cut for years, making it sells well. I may be a GT fan, but I like other racing games too. Driveclub Bikes is also really suck compared to Ride and MotoGP titles.
You're basing all of your arguments on the physics, yet Driveclub has never claimed to be a simulator, not even a simcade.
Dunno why this game gets so many positive feed backs even by medias.
Because realistic physics doesn't make a game good.

Even for an arcade claimed racing games, Driveclub isn't good enough for me because the physics is too unrealistic.
Yet in a number of areas it actually does a better job than GTS when you switch on hardcore mode. If that makes DC's physics unrealistic, what does it make GTS's?

It launched long before GT appears on PS4, sold on PS4 bundles, its price got cut for years, making it sells well.
No one has denied it launched before GTS; however GTS has also been bundled and has had both hard copy discounts and has been in a large number of PSN sales as well.

Keep in mind that GTS has always sold well above the norm for racing titles, as such any title than even gets close to its player volume, let alone passes it (regardless of all other factors) is significant.

I may be a GT fan, but I like other racing games too.

Driveclub Bikes is also really suck compared to Ride and MotoGP titles.
I've got the lot of them and disagree.

Dunno why this game gets so many positive feed backs even by medias.
Maybe because you're in a minority in that regard.

Back