Driveclub is the Most-Played PS4 Driving Title with Estimated 10.5 Million Players

Even for an arcade claimed racing games, Driveclub isn't good enough for me because the physics is too unrealistic. It launched long before GT appears on PS4, sold on PS4 bundles, its price got cut for years, making it sells well. I may be a GT fan, but I like other racing games too. Driveclub Bikes is also really suck compared to Ride and MotoGP titles. Dunno why this game gets so many positive feed backs even by medias.

OH MY GOD bro, how much more annoying can you get? With all due respect, just stop.
---
Since the first day I was saying Sony made the worst decision closing down a talented and inspired studio like Evo. The only reason is they were freaked out by Drivelub's success and had to stop it in its tracks, or less and less people would buy GT Sport. It's not always about the simulators you know, Sony... People just want to have some easy-going fun, and that what Driveclub offered plenty. The immediacy and exhilaration of gameplay is what made people play it again and again. Driveclub was created with passion and is a work of art and heart, it is genuine, authentic and.. well, timeless. ;D Piece!

Last edited:
Even for an arcade claimed racing games, Driveclub isn't good enough for me because the physics is too unrealistic.
Yeah I'm with you man. It's the same for MarioKart, the physics are just too unrealistic, I mean drifting and eating mushrooms to get a speed boost, what kind of simulator is that? What a disgrace to the genre, and the reviews are obviously biased and the sales inflated since there is no Gran Turismo on the Switch.

I think so at least. That doesn't mean that the cars disappear from the game once you bought it but the game won't be sold in the PS Store. Same happened to Forza Horizon 1. And yes I know, Playground Games is still a thing. I just hope this doesn't happen to DRIVECLUB but I wouldn't be surprised since Rushy said on Twitter that for every racing game licenses have an expire date. Question is, when?
I learned something new today.

Blows my mind seeing people here thinking this figure is something impressive. Guess it shows how out of tune with business some gamers are.

The game was given away for free because it couldn't sell. Thats basically admission that its a commercial failure.

It took DC 10 months to sell 2 million.

It's saying something about the path GT went when Driveclub has more players. Shoulda just did GT7 and never made Sport.

Yeah it says free games get downloaded more.....such a surprise lmao

Blows my mind seeing people here thinking this figure is something impressive. Guess it shows how out of tune with business some gamers are.

The game was given away for free because it couldn't sell. Thats basically admission that its a commercial failure.

Pretty much like GT Sport then which (didn't sell at all) sold for €9,- a month after release here in France. Only Driveclub has a couple of million players more 4 years after its release.

Odd as Sony disagree

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ed-10-5-million-players.385096/#post-12622286

You also seem to be misunderstanding where this data comes from, its not downloads. In order to appear you need to have played the game enough to have earned at least one trophy.

However rabid defense of GTS, not a big surprise.

I wonder when will the licenses for the cars expire? As far as I know it's often after five years. That would be in this year. Hopefully they won't shut down servers too.

I mean, it all depends on Sony, but even if the licenses are expiring this year, the servers could be up for a while still.

Forza licenses seem to run on four-year periods (with exception to the publicized six for Porsche), and last I checked even FM3 servers are still up, which released a decade ago.

I just can't like Driveclub. That's all. Sorry for harsh opinions about it. :D

That's fine not to like a game — I'm not a huge fan of DC either, though I do appreciate what it did.

The issue I imagine some people are having with your post is the misguided "it wasn't sim enough" argument. It never aimed for that. Besides, if you're using GT and Forza as the bar for what is and isn't a sim, you've already lowered the standard considerably.

Like almost immediately discounting a game by over 50%? Aren't you the one that's tried to argue player numbers directly translate to sales figures? Or is that only when it's convenient for your argument?

Unless you have the split between the PS+ version and the paid one, we have no idea how many of those players bought it.

Also, you make it sound like the PS+ version was pushed out later in response to the sales. It wasn't: it came later, but was always part of the original plan as a sweetener to encourage PS+ folks to try it and (hopefully) buy it.

It launched long before GT appears on PS4, sold on PS4 bundles, its price got cut for years, making it sells well
Oh, so running down a similar road as the GT series?

Like almost immediately discounting a game by over 50%? Aren't you the one that's tried to argue player numbers directly translate to sales figures? Or is that only when it's convenient for your argument?
Well, it depends on the game he's speaking about. If it's GT, than pretty much every player is a sale. However, If it's Forza he's talking about, than 50% of the players are duplicate accounts and that sales are barely going to be half of whatever is said.

If it's Forza, than they only release player data because they're too embarrassed to release actual sales data. If it's GT, than it's a good game that sold well, because they released the amount of players on the game.

Still irks me that Sony shut down Evolution and for what? What they (and the fans) see in PD is what I don't see. They're just not that impressive of a studio in my eyes anymore, even with GTS.

These numbers are impressive for a game that released in 2014. Only pro GT fans will say otherwise because it's not GTS or GT in general.

Last edited:
So how about a one time event in DRIVECLUB for all here at GTPlanet to participate in? Simply to celebrate this awesome game!

I'd like that, mostly because I'm missing that Unbeatable trophy and would like to be able to send some challenges other folks' way. :P

That and the Level 6 trophy are all that's standing between me and platinum.

Checked and you can! Direction is possible with thumbstick, d-pad or motioncontrols.

IMG_20190129_224250170.jpg

Well, it depends on the game he's speaking about. If it's GT, than pretty much every player is a sale. However, If it's Forza he's talking about, than 50% of the players are duplicate accounts and that sales are barely going to be half of whatever is said.
Actually 95% of Forza Horizon 4 player numbers are Game Pass free 2 week trials, the game itself only sold 5 copies.

Instead of quoting you all individually I'll respond wholly since you have similar points.

Don't be a joke and try to compare this to GTS. Driveclub was given away free. For those still wanting to compare thats $0. Let us know when GTS is given away as a free PS+ game.

GTS has become an international bestseller and it didn't need to be a free PS+ game to get impressive player numbers and sales.

For those who think SCE see DC as a success: DC is a dead franchise and the studio got shutdown. Enough with the spin. The game had a bad launch, mediocre sales and had to change to a F2P model to be saved.

Are the player numbers impressive? No. It's a free PS+ game.
Are the sales impressive? No. 2 million in 10 months is not impressive.

Could this lead to .... pointless talk, DC is a dead franchise and the studio behind it is no longer active.

Instead of quoting you all individually I'll respond wholly since you have similar points.

Don't be a joke and try to compare this to GTS. Driveclub was given away free. For those still wanting to compare thats $0. Let us know when GTS is given away as a free PS+ game.
A playable demo of Driveclub was given away for four months,

GTS has become an international bestseller and it didn't need to be a free PS+ game to get impressive player numbers and sales.
Nor did Driveclub, the game was never, I repeat never given away on PS+, a time limited demo was provided via PS+ that you could upgrade to the full title for a slightly reduced price (£42.99 vs £55 in the UK based on articles from the time)

So no, DC was never given away on PS+

For those who think SCE see DC as a success: DC is a dead franchise and the studio got shutdown. Enough with the spin. The game had a bad launch, mediocre sales and had to change to a F2P model to be saved.
Sony disagree with you on the sales, and it was never, and has never been a F2P model. You would quite literally have to be an idiot to have looked into the facts behind the PS+ demo and come to that conclusion.

Are the player numbers impressive?
In which case GTS has far less impresive player numbers, oddly based on your logic no PS4 racing title has impressive player numbers.

No. It's a free PS+ game.
It was never a free PS+ game. A lie repeated is still a lie.

You are either spectacularly ignorant of the facts or aware of the fact and lying about them. Which is it?

Are the sales impressive? No. 2 million in 10 months is not impressive.
We are not talking about sales, but once again Sony disagree with you.

Could this lead to .... pointless talk, DC is a dead franchise and the studio behind it is no longer active.
I don't recall you taking ownership of the site and enforcing a limit on what can and can't be discussed? If in your view its a pointless discussion then you are free to leave, but you don't get to shut down a valid discussion because you are either ignorant of the facts or happy to lie in order to support your prefers title.

Note: I've highlighted the word Demo in the hope that a little bit of subtle CBT might make the fact sink in.

@GT6mebe The game wasn't changed to f2p model, it's still a paid game. Just a "demo" version of it was available for some time in PS+. It only had 1 location and few cars.
1 location, 12 cars and was available for only four months (June 2015 to Oct 2015).

https://www.videogamer.com/news/driveclub_ps_plus_edition_is_being_removed_from_ps_plus_next_month

Last edited:
Best arcade racer we got since PGR4, yet Sony decided to kill which was one of the best UK based studios with a glorious pedegree of WRC games on the ps2 (still my go to rally tittles even to this day, specially WRC2003) just to keep feeding that totally out of date Yamauchi dinosaur.

Never forgive you for this one Sony. What an embarrassment.

Last edited by a moderator:
This game was great!!! The car models were spot on. I still play it. The VR version was great as well. The only issues I have with game is the engine sounds, especially the Ferraris don’t sound very authentic. The track list was completely fictional. Some real circuit tracks would’ve been a huge plus. There weren’t any Porsche’s in game. Other than that the game was terrific. I wish the studio was still around to produce a sequel.

I'd take part if I hadn't already sold my copy. How I miss this game. Maybe I'll buy an used one, since I have all the DLC.

One thing I like the most about Driveclub is the car selection, especially because of the not-so-obvious cars added, like the Mazzanti Evantra, VUHL 05, Icona Vulcano, Rimac Concept_One and many others.

Odd as Sony disagree

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ed-10-5-million-players.385096/#post-12622286

You also seem to be misunderstanding where this data comes from, its not downloads. In order to appear you need to have played the game enough to have earned at least one trophy.

However rabid defense of GTS, not a big surprise.
If you launch the game one time it will already install trophies in your profile and counts in the %.
You don't have to unlock any trophy.

Paid version and free version shares the same trophy lists... so everybody is counted for the % since you launched the game at least once (you don't need to play any race).

If you launch the game one time it will already install trophies in your profile and counts in the %.
You don't have to unlock any trophy.

Paid version and free version shares the same trophy lists... so everybody is counted for the % since you launched the game at least once (you don't need to play any race).
Sorry I meant to say that you need to have unlocked a trophy for it to count in the creation of the video tat is used to then calculate the numbers.

That however is an aside, as its the exact same for every title, demos, copies borrowed from people, duplicate accounts, etc.

This game was great!!! The car models were spot on. I still play it. The VR version was great as well. The only issues I have with game is the engine sounds, especially the Ferraris don’t sound very authentic. The track list was completely fictional. Some real circuit tracks would’ve been a huge plus. There weren’t any Porsche’s in game. Other than that the game was terrific. I wish the studio was still around to produce a sequel.
Unfortunately Porsche would never have featured given that it was released long before EA lost the exclusive licence for them.

Best simcade racer of this generation by miles. Has the spirit of Sega arcade machines like Daytona and Sega Rally imo.

The fact it still looks amazing is......amazing. Those bike models also put Ride and Milestone and their flat Tamiya model look to shame, Bikes in PGR look better than Ride.

Back