Driveclub is the Most-Played PS4 Driving Title with Estimated 10.5 Million Players

A game having its servers shut down completely so soon (with no imminent sequel) shows how dead it truly is. So much for the "10.5 million players".
So soon? 6 years is quite a while. Doesn't shock me that you don't even bother to look up the length of time that other games servers with millions of players get shut down as well.

Here I'll help you a bit since you always seem to miss pretty massive things that happen to the games you're in favor, probably because you're trying too hard to find anything to make a point about..

Gran turismo 6: Launch Dec 2013
Servers shut down: March 2018

Driveclub: Launch Oct 2014
Servers shut down: March 2020

You seem to have trouble with math every now and then, so let me know if you need more help here.

Plus, how much do you wanna bet that Sony cuts servers to GT Sport on PS4 the second that a re-released GT Sport on PS5 is released, considering we're getting very close to that time?

Plus, how much do you wanna bet that Sony cuts servers to GT Sport on PS4 the second that a re-released GT Sport on PS5 is released, considering we're getting very close to that time?
Something something GTS is the best seller this generation... ramble ramble Sony makes billions!

You guys are becoming a running joke. Are you purposely trying to spin or does it come naturally?
GT5 closed after the launch of GT6. GT6 closed after the launch of GTS. Spot the difference with Driveclub.

You guys are becoming a running joke. Are you purposely trying to spin or does it come naturally?
GT5 closed after the launch of GT6. GT6 closed after the launch of GTS. Spot the difference with Driveclub.

How far back are the goal posts by this point? I think they're in the next county.

Plenty of titles don't get the servers shut down when a new title comes along.

So that line doesn't carry weight, the length of time the servers are up for is the only measure and in that measure for a racing title DC shows itself well.

That for some utterly odd reason pisses you off.

Okay. Doesn't really change the fact that the comparison between DC and GT is laughable.
One is getting sequel after sequel, servers closing upon the release of the next game.
The other has had its studio close, franchise canned, and server shutdown with no sequel in question.

in that measure for a racing title DC shows itself well.

:lol:
In no way is a server closing with no future title in plans well.

Okay. Doesn't really change the fact that the comparison between DC and GT is laughable.
One is getting sequel after sequel, servers closing upon the release of the next game.
The other has had its studio close, franchise canned, and server shutdown with no sequel in question.
The only one laughing is you and it really doesn't paint you in a good light.

The comparison has been explained, you keep moving the goalposts which is really no surprise.

:lol:
In no way is a server closing with no future title in plans well.
As a title in isolation, a point you will know I was referring to, and given how long ago Sony closed the studio it certainly is.

What does that have to do with what you said about being too soon though? It really makes absolutely no sense, but that's really not surprising.

So if it's a bad thing that these servers shut down "So soon" what does it actually mean for Polyphony digital?

For a game that was "so bad" in comparison, its weird how the servers stayed up so long. You'd think that if it was really that much of a loss, they wouldn't even attempt to have kept it up much more after the closure of the actual studio.

Examples include Battlefield 4, 1, and probably Hardline as well. (Though in the case of the later, barely anybody plays it anyway)

Fairly certain that most of the COD games released this generation have their servers up too.

Examples include Battlefield 4, 1, and probably Hardline as well. (Though in the case of the later, barely anybody plays it anyway)

Fairly certain that most of the COD games released this generation have their servers up too.
Yep the COD ones I can confirm are all still us, as well as the Battlefield ones.

Modern Warfare 2's servers were still up around Christmas at least; a game that predated GT5 by a full year and has had nearly a dozen sequels since.

Hell, aren't Forza 4 servers still up, too?

It's easier to name games that don't shut down their older servers with new releases than those that do, to be honest.

Dang, so I guess it is true. A game shutting down servers so soon does truly show how dead it is.

A game having its servers shut down completely so soon (with no imminent sequel) shows how dead it truly is. So much for the "10.5 million players".

So soon? The game came out in 2014, and hasn't had anything new non-VR added to it since 2015.

It's hilarious how you keep walking away from this argument when everyone points out how bad your arguments are, then coming back days or weeks later when you think you've got something new to grasp onto.

I never really got on with Drive Club - It just didn't click with me, but at least with DC the offline part will still be perfectly playable (OK, probably not the point for some of you). And that is more than can be said for GTS when and if they turn the servers off. Unless PD implements local saving, which I don't see happening, then GTS will become totally unusable, apart from a few "rental" cars.

The comparison has been explained, you keep moving the goalposts which is really no surprise.

Your explanation is invalid. As pointed out for the third time, DC has no sequel while GT games continue getting sequels with server closures happening when the new game launches.

But by all means ignore reality and keep acting like the scenario is the same :lol:

The game came out in 2014

There are PS3 games that still have running servers :lol:

Your explanation is invalid. As pointed out for the third time, DC has no sequel while GT games continue getting sequels with server closures happening when the new game launches.
And GT6 has no sequel on the PS3, and as you acknowledge the PS3 still has titles with the servers still up, so you just invalidated your own argument.

But by all means ignore reality and keep acting like the scenario is the same :lol:
The only reality is that DC's servers will have remained up longer than either GT5 or GT6.

So why not GT's then?

Last edited:

To go back to your original point really quick:

If this was so soon, and it's showing how dead the game is because of that, what does the servers shutting down on GT5 and GT6(a lot sooner mind you) mean?

Do you think that anyone in their right mind would keep paying for something for so damn long, if there wasn't any worth to doing it? If there was a lack of players, do you really think they would have wanted to waste that money for so long? I don't, I think they'll cut it off as soon as it starts becoming a loss.

By all means, keep ignoring the scenario that the vast majority of games with sequels do not close down the servers of prior games on the launch of another. In my opinion, That's probably because they don't want to feel like they've shafted the playerbase, giving a forceful hand to move on to their next product. That just sounds like damn terrible business.

Last edited:
By all means, keep ignoring the scenario that the vast majority of games with sequels do not close down the servers of prior games on the launch of another. In my opinion, That's probably because they don't want to feel like they've shafted the playerbase, giving a forceful hand to move on to their next product. That just sounds like damn terrible business.

Aside from sports games, where the iterative nature of it explains somewhat the shutting down of servers, what games have their servers shut down with the incoming of a new title?

So soon? The game came out in 2014, and hasn't had anything new non-VR added to it since 2015.

Not technically. The final DLC was released in 2016.

Back