Driving assists (I have searched before making the thread)

• Thread starter Mikey15
  • 10 comments
OK, well I can drive in real life, but I'm still not exactly an expert on racing or cars or anything like that. One thing I like to do in games though, is to play as realistically as possible. Are the driving assists in GT4 realistic, or are they only used in GT4 and not real racing to help the less skilled? I'd like to know because I'm almost 50% of the way through the game, and if the driving assists don't exist in real driving, I'll feel like I'm cheating if I use them.

Cheers.

my uncle's ford mini-van has a 4.2 litre engine with traction control. the traction control is more jerky, because the tires will spin for a bit, then it will cut the power to get traction, then the tires will spin a bit more, cut the power again... it's a really powerful van though.

On my famils car, when one of the wheels start to spin, then you can feel the brakes are applied and the wheel is slowed down to help it regain traction again. :) I experienced when my mom was driving in the snow, it was sooo cooooool!!!👍

KiwiBoy
On my famils car, when one of the wheels start to spin, then you can feel the brakes are applied and the wheel is slowed down to help it regain traction again. :) I experienced when my mom was driving in the snow, it was sooo cooooool!!!👍
i turned it off in the snow because i notice it wouldn't allow me to climg hills, every time one wheel would spin, the power gets cut slowing my momentum... so i just turn it off and climb the hill at a steady pace

I'm no expert on the subject, but I know a lot of GT4 racers disdain the use of driving aids. Aids on/off i think is similar to the argument of manual vs. auto transmission.

I myself have recently been trying to use no aids while driving, instead making adjustments where necessary to the brake controller & full custom LSD (limited slip differential). It definitely is a learning process, where I run into the most trouble with suspension settings.

Many of the cars I can manage with no aids, but some seem to really need to have a clik or two of TCS so you dont just burn tires for 50 meters while everyone else zips by you.

I suspect most 'Aids off' settings are easier to control with a DFP (Driving Force Pro) wheel, but I just use the DS2 (Analog controller), and get by fair.

As far as whether the driving aids are represented realistically in game (as in do they match what the real car would have in real life) I'm not sure... but I rather doubt they were actually equipped on pre-1965 production vehicles.

I use no aids, because I can't be sure which cars have them available for use. For instance, Honda S2000 has no traction control, and no ESP. So, if you drive the car with those things on, yes, it will be unreal. But, its the game, so, no cheating.

I cannot drive with driving aids, my times in tsukuba are 1 second higher, with TCS and ASM :yuck:

well I did a very small amount of searching and found the following:

TRACTION CONTROL

Definition: An enhancement of an existing ABS system that prevents wheel spin while accelerating on wet or slick surfaces. It uses the same wheel speed sensors to monitor wheel speed during acceleration, but requires some additional control solenoids and a pump to apply braking pressure to control wheel spin. The traction control system brakes the drive wheel that's starting to spin to shift torque to the opposite drive wheel that still has traction. Most traction control systems only operate at speeds up to about 30 mph. Additional control strategies that some traction control systems use to limit wheel spin include reducing the throttle opening, upshifting the transmission, retarding spark timing and deactivating fuel injectors. (link)

History (ABS)

The German firm of Bosch had been developing anti-lock braking technology since the 1930s, but the first production cars using Bosch's electronic system became available in 1978. They first appeared in trucks and German limousines from Mercedes-Benz. ABS Systems were later introduced on motorcycles.

Anti-lock braking systems were first developed for aircraft. An early system was Dunlop's Maxaret system, introduced in the 1950s and still in use on some aircraft models. This was a fully mechanical system. It saw limited automobile use in the 1960s in the Ferguson P99 racing car, the Jensen FF and the experimental all wheel drive Ford Zodiac, but saw no further use; the system proved expensive and in automobile use somewhat unreliable. The first car (worldwide) to have ABS fitted as standard (across the entire range) was the Ford Granada Mk 3 (of 1985). (Link)

Hope this helps a bit.

It's not "cheating" if you use driving aids. Despite what was said above, all modern cars have some sort of driving aid, such as ABS, TCS, or ASM... And as cars develop, designers are making more advanced systems.

Real life race car drivers have to use some sort of aids too. Sometimes ASM, some times TCS, but going all out in a 800HP car with no assist is nothing but dangerous. And due to new regulations for safety on most tracks, they are required, not optional.

I say if you feel comfortable with driving aids, go for it.

Lo!

I've found that driving aids are more of a hinderance than of any help. The TCS system, for me, is always set to 1 -- to prevent endless wheelspin.

Other than that, they just slow ya down.

The ASM can slow your car down if your suspension set up is bad. However, if it is good already, the ASM wont have a large affect on it, there is a slight affect, but not by a large margin.

TCS on the other hand is great if not over used, a setting from 3 to 5 can hinder over wheel spin, most cars come stock with a setting of 7, turn it down, and the car will be a driving dream.

The ones who say it is "cheating" are the ones who probably don't have lives, and know crap about true racing. In other words, they probably couldn't even change a wheel if they got a flat on the road. I don't even have a license yet, and I probably know more than them.

Back