Driving personal car after GT Sport racing

• Thread starter sturk0167
  • 71 comments
I have been using the paddle shifters a lot more after playing GT Sport.......hmmm, wonder if there is a correlation??

I have a 2012 Audi S5....its days are limited as my two kids are getting bigger and my wife hates my two door!

Sweet. Track car or weekend driver?
I prefer driving fast on closed circuits, so yes, trackdays. The STi has been modified quite a lot, but still acceptable for daily driving. Harsh and noisy but it should be. The Bilstein suspension is d*mn good, the breaks scream when cold, and exhaust is load, but who cares :mischievous:

I did a few online races, this morning before leaving the house to go to the store. I found myself checking the rear-view mirror a lot for other cars coming fast from behind. I also looked for the apex of every turn and accelerated sooner and harder out of the turns than I needed to. I don't normally drive this way. Anyone else have a similar experience?
...no I don't own a car lol I'm environmentally mental ha ha ...I leave most cars at the lights on my road bike (pedals) :lol:

I've always tried to practice good road craft ever since I started driving. I passed my test in 1990, so nothing to do with Gran Turismo I suppose. But I do always try to be attentive to what's around me, in front, behind and to my sides. I'm always reading the road ahead and not just the end of my bonnet. I look through the apex and beyond when taking turns, I try to make all my inputs as smooth as possible and drive appropriate to the conditions (that means the other road users around me, type of road, hazards, etc., not just the weather). Also, I'm not afraid to use all the revs and acceleration available to me, when appropriate. For example, when leaving a slower speed limit zone into a faster one, to open up a safe gap to the traffic behind you. None of this helps me to be a faster driver in racing games though! :lol:

I'm currently driving a Fiat 500 Turbo (Similar to the Euro spec base Abarth but without the twin pipes). I wanted something small, nippy, fun to drive and with manual gears. I used to drive the red Alpine in my Avatar. Owned it for about 14 years before having to sell it after I moved to the States. :grumpy:

No offense but people who don't drive like this on a daily basis should have their licence revoked . You openly admitted online that you drive semi blind by mot checking your rear mirror every 10 seconds ( yes you should do that , and every time you come to a hault , saved my ass once on the freeway when the ditz behind me was texting , I pulled to the side from a standstill when I noticed the car behind wasn't slowing down, she smashed into the car in front of me ) . Checking the apex of every turn is critical in seeing pedestrians . If you aren't fully dedicated to driving you shouldn't drive . To many people " drive " around semi or completely distracted and end up killing some one / crashing . Too many use the excuse " he / she came out if nowhere " like no you just weren't checking your damn mirrors / looking .
I understand that I may not have worded it correctly. When I said I don't normally drive this way, I meant I don't normally worry about being overtaken, but I do constantly check the mirrors to see what's going on around me.

I'm a grandpa and have a Jeep Wrangler as my main drive. I also have two motorcycles a Honda Goldwing and Suzuki V-Strom 1000. The fun never stops!

What cars does everyone driver IRL?

Volkswagen mk4 R32, 400hp HPA turbo

i-TcwXXgp.jpg

Mazda mx-5

i-vgtWbQd-5095x3400.jpg

Audi 90 quattro sport

i-RNhtmPp-5K.jpg

Did you do the overclockers competition for that? I'm sure there were some vaguely familiar names when I read it.

We did indeed :). Matty did 2nd and 3rd one and qualified and won the final, Jimbo did 2nd one and qualified for final and came 2nd, I did the 3rd and qualified for final and came 4th (Rain cost me big in caterhams :( ).

In addition in the final we were given no tuition we were told to go out and drive which was kinda insane when you think about it. It started wet and began drying which really messed up the M4's as the time's got 3 seconds quicker between runs. So then we had a 1 lap shootout which again meant the 2nd lot of drivers got a slightly drier track. Then in the afternoon on the Caterhams the heavens opened, so much so one half the track flooded and I was one of the last to go and still did pretty well in the grand scheme of it on it! Even so still bloody good fun :D!

If anyone wants an idea of times tuition vs no tuition I ended up getting the exact same time on the Atoms between tuition and no tuition, and actually went faster than I did previously in the clios (The only pure dry parts of the day).

If it had stayed dry, I imagine you'd have all left the track wondering what it would have been like driving in the wet.:P

Looked like a great experience though.👍

The other evening a person drifted towards me, then as we were approaching a stop light, cut into my lane and stopped abruptly. I had an automatic reaction to want to side swipe them and ram them into the middle of the intersection. That really surprised me.

If it had stayed dry, I imagine you'd have all left the track wondering what it would have been like driving in the wet.:P

Looked like a great experience though.👍

Haha to be honest the F3000 was more fun than expected in the wet! The JP-LM was absolutely horrific in the wet! Was aquaplaning all over the show and not very enjoyable at all. I wish it was dry for that as I went fast in it in the 3rd qualifier round in my first experience of down force so knew I could go quicker with another go! F3000 was fun in the wet as you really had to learn where to go, where to brake and all that good stuff :D! We absolutely demolished the previous groups times!

The only time I get confused between GTS and real life is when I come home after running errands. I check my trip odometer to see how many miles I drove and excitedly wonder what kind of free daily workout car will be waiting for me in my garage...

... and then I remember that real life isn't GTS which makes me sad :(

I drive a lot long distances because of my work. I'm a quick driver, always around the limit speed to what is allowed. Just to be sure nobody misunderstands me, I never had issues with my drivers' licence or big traffic tickets o made an accident, but as I said, I drive not slow for no reason.

But since I play GTS intensive I drive slower. Because I satisfy my, let me say, "need for speed" with the Game.

And thats for me an another proof for the so called experts beeing wrong about video games. That video games makes you a killer or amok driver or whatever

My driving hasn't really been affected hugely since GTA3 when I played for 8 hours straight, went to the store and felt compelled to run every red light. But I have been doing more unnecessary shifting to maintain optimal torque with my Cooper S since playing GTS. But driving in Southern California I'm a very defensive (but quick) driver already, so if anything my real-life driving influences my GTS driving more than vice versa.

Not old enough to drive yet but I hope my years of sim racing with wheel + pedals and shifter don't affect me when I start my lessons in a few months :D

One day i was driving in a mountain & as i come to the top of a cliff there was a stip downhill & i couldn't see the road & instead of raising up to see better i looked up for the mini-map lol true story :)

Back