• Thread starter Sprite
  • 54 comments

Sprite

Beanbag Brain
Premium
United Kingdom
Horbury, West Yorkshire
GTP_Sprite
Is anyone looking forward to this as much as I am.

I've never read the books or watched the more recent TV series. I am however a fan of the Lynch movie just because I grew up with this version and It's a bad but good movie. Apparently this new one will be split into two as Villeneuve wanted to do more justice to the books compared to the Lynch mess.

These are our current look of how this film is going to look.
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg
009.jpg
010.jpg

I've read Dune, have the David Lynch movie, and played the excellent Emperor: Battle for Dune by Westwood Studios, who also made the first RTS game, Dune 2.

Will most likely watch this as well. 👍

I highly recommend reading the first Dune novel if you have not done so. Even though the Lynch movie was kinda bad, I liked the surrealist visuals in it. :lol: It was the movie Lynch made after Eraserhead, so that makes sense. :D Curious to see what an ornithopter will look like in this version.

"May His passing cleanse the world."

If I want something faithful to the written word, I'll read the written word. Cinematic adaptations of great books are very nearly always disappointing.

"May His passing cleanse the world."

If I want something faithful to the written word, I'll read the written word. Cinematic adaptations of great books are very nearly always disappointing.

very true. Not many if any book to movie adaptations are exact and true to the written subject matter. I just hope he does a good job with this, I’m pretty sure he will be still I’m not putting my eggs in one basket.

@Grand Prix I’ve been meaning to read the books. But I’ve got so many others in the queue at the moment I’m not sure when I’ll get to them. Not before this new movie I suspect.

Read the book many (many!) years ago and really liked it, but have never gone back to it and don't remember much beyond the basic premise. Which is fine - in many ways I'd rather come to this version without too many preconceptions. I do remember the previous movie being terrible for me, but I have a lot of faith in Villeneuve as a filmmaker - hopefully he can pull it off. I'll be going to see it for sure (once we're all allowed out again!)

I didn't realize that's who that was, but then I haven't seen much of what he's done.

You should read the book. It's a masterpiece ... if you like that sort of thing & a good read even if (like me) you don't. I started watching the David Lynch version on Netflix a few days ago. It's terrible - so bad it's good kind of terrible. It appears to have been the inspiration for Blackadder's A Christmas Carol visit to "the Future":

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for Villeneuve's new effort. Might have been better as a GOT level TV series, which would have allowed enough time for the complexities of plot to develop properly.

I've never read the book. I believe I'd seen the David Lynch film on TV by the time I was 10 years old, and found it very disturbing... Having subsequently become somewhat of David Lynch fan, I've now watched it a couple more times. The effects may not have dated well, in fact, they may well have not been very good for their time, but there's something about the way Lynch makes a film, and the look of it, combined with 'off-the-wall' ideas that I guess were present in the book, that makes it really visually really intriguing... it was weird - but it felt like it had substance too. I think Villeneuve can get the visuals where they need to be, but I hope it captures that feel too.

I’ve only seen his last three films, but, they have been very, very, good. So I can’t wait to see he does next

Villeneuve has shown with Bladerunner 2049 and Arrival that he's probably the most capable director around right now to pull off Dune.
Glad he's made it two films, rather than force it all into one.
Can agree that it would also make a great Netflix series, but I'll take what I can get when it comes to Dune.
Still playing Westwood's finest.

Off-topic, but...

Do you know who this is? Or is it just a reaction gif you found? He looks familiar but I can't place his face and it's bugging me. I'm pretty sure he's British.

Off-topic, but...

Do you know who this is? Or is it just a reaction gif you found? He looks familiar but I can't place his face and it's bugging me. I'm pretty sure he's British.
David Tennant, playing his UK television role of the tenth Doctor in Doctor Who.

Also played Crowley in Good Omens, Casanova in Casanova, and Kilgrave in Jessica Jones.

David Tennant, playing his UK television role of the tenth Doctor in Doctor Who.

Also played Crowley in Good Omens, Casanova in Casanova, and Kilgrave in Jessica Jones.

Also excellent in Criminal: UK and Broadchurch

I was just coming to post this trailer up. I really like the look. The Sandworms look excellent. I’m certainly aboard the Hypetrain for this.
The sandworm at the end looks amazing., I like the choice of song to go with the trailer as well.

I really hope this hits the mark, it's a big ask to for this story into a film but if they nail it (and the trailer looks promising) it wil be ace.

Last edited:
...The David Lynch-directed 80s Dune movie is still one of my guilty pleasure films. It sure has aged like a stinky kimchi and I love it for all the wrong reasons.

Having said that, I'm really stoked for this movie. Something about the rustic, aged vibe the trailer gives off through the set design and costumes are hitting all the right notes for me. Fingers crossed that the studio don't meddle too much and make it as broken as Lynch's version...

I was looking forward to seeing this adaptation later this year, alas, it has been delayed to October 1st, 2021 for a theater release. Old news, I know. :lol:

The good news is that apparently, Villeneuve was pressed for time with the edit, and this delay should allow for more fine-tuning.

I like that the ornithopters in this one will have flapping wings, that is very important.
smiley_yes.gif
:lol: I like most of the casting choices.

What really intrigues me about the novel, are the deep themes about ecology and the addictions/vices of humans. I didn't get much of a sense of those from the trailer, but I'll wait and see. Converting the subtext and inner thoughts of the characters to film could be a challenge. David Lynch tried to tackle this problem by revealing the characters' thoughts with voice overs, which a lot of people didn't like. Villeneuve will have 5 hours of movie to pull this off, so it shouldn't be a complete mess... Hopefully. That was another problem with Lynch's version, he had to cram all of Dune into 2 hours. :lol: He did well, considering that.

Last edited:
What really intrigues me about the novel, are the deep themes about ecology and the addictions/vices of humans. I didn't get much of a sense of those from the trailer, but I'll wait and see.

I think it could very much be the right time for a Dune movie that focuses on these themes. As much as they're somewhat evergreen, the twin ideas of ecological balance and authoritarianism seem pretty relevant right now.

Converting the subtext and inner thoughts of the characters to film could be a challenge. David Lynch tried to tackle this problem by revealing the characters' thoughts with voice overs, which a lot of people didn't like. Villeneuve will have 5 hours of movie to pull this off, so it shouldn't be a complete mess... Hopefully.

I think that's mostly a scriptwriter's problem. I suspect a movie is better off not trying to convey information in the same way as a novel - inner dialogue works in a novel because you can take two pages as an aside to explore a characters thoughts and reactions and it's not particularly jarring. In a movie that's not true, but I think you can portray a lot of that same information through other means such as skilled acting or appropriately revised dialogue while keeping up the pace and engagement required of a film.

I'd prefer that the movie not hamstring itself by trying to stick strictly to the text, and instead present the same world and plot using techniques that are appropriate for the medium.

I think it could very much be the right time for a Dune movie that focuses on these themes. As much as they're somewhat evergreen, the twin ideas of ecological balance and authoritarianism seem pretty relevant right now.

I think that's mostly a scriptwriter's problem. I suspect a movie is better off not trying to convey information in the same way as a novel - inner dialogue works in a novel because you can take two pages as an aside to explore a characters thoughts and reactions and it's not particularly jarring. In a movie that's not true, but I think you can portray a lot of that same information through other means such as skilled acting or appropriately revised dialogue while keeping up the pace and engagement required of a film.

I'd prefer that the movie not hamstring itself by trying to stick strictly to the text, and instead present the same world and plot using techniques that are appropriate for the medium.

Oh yes, perhaps now more than ever. Addiction can be quite powerful, and is not confined to drugs. Consider how many of us depend on the internet. Or by extension, our smartphones. Or various other forms of entertainment, such as video games and TV. The addictive nature of power that leads to corruption of leadership. The dependence on oil and the conveniences it has given.

We are all addicted to something, and in a sense, are enslaved to it. Much like the people of the Dune universe addicted to the Spice Melange.

"The Spice must flow."

Oh yes, perhaps now more than ever. Addiction can be quite powerful, and is not confined to drugs. Consider how many of us depend on the internet. Or by extension, our smartphones. Or various other forms of entertainment, such as video games and TV. The addictive nature of power that leads to corruption of leadership. The dependence on oil and the conveniences it has given.

We are all addicted to something, and in a sense, are enslaved to it. Much like the people of the Dune universe addicted to the Spice Melange.

"The Spice must flow."
Absolutely true, our internet went down for a day last week, my wife came home from work and when she walked in I said "we need to talk".

"Why, that's wrong?" was her reponse. "We have no Wi-Fi, we're actually going to have to talk tonight" was mine.

The horror, if we weren't in lockdown, was obvious for all to see.

And it is true, our Wi-Fi did go down last week for pretty much a full day, but you don't realise just how dependant you are on it until you can't use it unexpectedly for a while. It's the same if I leave my phone at home by mistake when I go out, it's like you're missing a limb. It's not good to be so dependant on these things.

Last edited:

"The Spice must flow."

I think the Spice is actually a bit odd from the perspective of addiction, because it has unquestionably positive effects. It extends your life, enhances your physical health and potentially enables super-human abilities or prescience. Addiction usually carries a negative connotation, which seems like it wouldn't apply to the Spice. If you can get it then you use it, and the same with most of the items you mentioned.

I feel like there's a word in the English language that I either don't know or maybe just doesn't exist for something that is so useful that it becomes necessary. And that feels distinct from something like alcohol or cocaine which has some positive effects, but can be ultimately detrimental even to the point that the user wishes to stop but doing so would also cause harm.

And it is true, our Wi-Fi did go down last week for pretty much a full day, but you don't realise just how dependant you are on it until you can't use it unexpectedly for a while. It's the same if I leave my phone at home by mistake when I go out, it's like you're missing a limb. It's not good to be so dependant on these things.

That's true, but that's more a case of a balanced lifestyle being ultimately healthier. Computers and the internet are incredible tools that enable things that are otherwise basically impossible, and there's nothing innately wrong with that.

It seems less about the specific "thing" that you're attached to in these sorts of cases, as I'm sure at various points in history any number of things could have been substituted for smartphones and the internet to much the same effect. Pretty much any reasonable activity can be indulged in to an unhealthy degree. It's about a lifestyle choice (although "choice" might be overstating it, as I think a lot of the time it's not explicitly intentional), which points more to the personal factors of addictive behaviour than the specific addictive nature of smartphones or the internet or whatever.

I think the Spice is actually a bit odd from the perspective of addiction, because it has unquestionably positive effects. It extends your life, enhances your physical health and potentially enables super-human abilities or prescience. Addiction usually carries a negative connotation, which seems like it wouldn't apply to the Spice. If you can get it then you use it, and the same with most of the items you mentioned.

I feel like there's a word in the English language that I either don't know or maybe just doesn't exist for something that is so useful that it becomes necessary. And that feels distinct from something like alcohol or cocaine which has some positive effects, but can be ultimately detrimental even to the point that the user wishes to stop but doing so would also cause harm.

The Spice is actually quite harmful to Dune's humanity in a lot of ways. I'll discuss this in a spoiler tag for those who want to jump into the Dune movie blind. (Wheee! :lol:)

The Spice is described as being so insidious, that it kills you when you stop taking it. Withdrawal is death. This influences the decision making of many people, great houses and factions in the Dune universe, the Spacing Guild navigators especially. Guild navigators spend their lives floating around in a tank of highly concentrated Spice gas, which has mutated them to point of appearing monstrous. They have a very strong addiction to the spice and will die if denied its intake. They underwent this transformation so they could see into the future for safe travel across the universe, with the folding of space. This gives them an extraordinary amount of power over the universe, to the point that even the Emperor should listen to their demands. Humanity as a whole is dependent on the Spice through the Spacing Guild.

Not to mention the risky venture of actually harvesting the Spice. Sandworms are fiercely territorial and respond violently to any rhythmic vibrations they detect ("Walk without rhythm and you won't attract the worm"), which draws them to attacking Spice harvesters. Carryalls were developed to lift harvesters to safety because of this.

We could also look at why humans need the Spice for safe space travel in the first place. Thousands of years earlier, humanity freed itself from thinking machines through a war known as "The Butlerian Jihad." If I remember correctly, Frank Herbert didn't go into a lot of detail explaining why this war happened. It could have been a literal enslavement of humanity by the machines, or it could have been a dependency on the machines; In any case, it resulted in a brutal war where humanity nearly died out, and was a traumatic enough experience that they no longer wanted anything to do with artificial intelligence ever again. This resulted in mentats (humans serving as computer replacements), the ever-meddling Bene Gesserit Sisterhood and the Spacing Guild.

If I recall correctly, Frank Herbert was on psychedelic mushrooms when writing Dune, and no doubt this inspired the creativity he needed to write this masterpiece. Did I mention that Dune is deep? :lol:

While it is true that the internet and many other facets of modern technology have their benefits, withdrawal (for society) is very difficult, should we ever need to withdrawal. Unless you want to live like the Amish, but they too have their own, but different vices. Humans have been a slave to technology from the first moment someone sharpened a pointy stick and thrust it into an animal to acquire food, inventing the mighty and humble spear. So strong is our relationship to the spear in fact, that we used it all the way to WW2 in the form of the bayonet rifle, even if the bayonet rifle is a heavier and more cumbersome spear, but I digress. :lol:

Humans are always looking for new things to attach themselves to, especially if it gives them power over others. That's my interpretation of Dune at least.

Back