Dune Prt 1 & 2 (Denis Villeneuve Adaptation)Movies 

• Thread starter Sprite
  • 54 comments
Release date: October 22, 2021.

1626841749633.png

I tried reading the book a few weeks ago to prepare for the movie, but I couldn't get into it. I got like 2 chapters in, but stopped because it was just too much. If anyone has read the book, would you recommend trying it again?

Just saw Dune Part One in the theater, in 4DX as well. And i gotta say, holy ****, lol. I ain't gonna go into the story and all that, cause spoilers. But the cinematography, my god, this movie is beautiful. It feels so grand. The pacing is perfect, nothing is rushed. The locations are stunning.
The 4DX effects like wind, mist, motion, water, smell etc. were just the cherry on the cake. It's especially epic when an aircraft takes off and you feel the wind. It's like you're there hehe.
But anyways, this is a must see on the big screen if you ask me. The movie is beautiful.

Forgot to add. They do throw around lots of names and terminology, which i assume is familiar to those who know the lore. But it's never explained to those of us who are going in fresh. Stuff like Bene Gesserit, Kwisatz something, the history and relationship between the houses, the emperor is mentioned yet never shown. And many more things like that. Guess we'll have to wait for part two.

Last edited:
Well I know its a little late in the game but I've finally seen Dune - Part 1 twice now.

Overall I was very happy with how it turned out and hotly anticipating Part 2.

Just watched this interview. Some interesting information from both of them, maybe stuff we already knew and picked up on but always a pleasure to hear from two of the greats.

Managed to watch this (streamed) between Christmas and New Year. Good as it is, i had a niggling feeling that i'd only watched half a film. In this Netflix age of being used to bingeing an extended story, largely to whatever extent you find satisfying, it feels odd to have to wait to watch the second part of this. I have seen the original adaptation numerous times, although not in decades, so i had pretty much forgotten much of the plot. Assuming this version is pretty close to Herberts original book, i'm glad it wasn't messed around with to condense it into a single film, but still, 18+ months until Part II is going to be a long wait.

My grandpa is a big fan of the old Dune books and films and I watched the new one back in September with him and my uncle.

I'm really looking forward to this. I thought Part 1 was fantastic.

I’m hoping we won’t have as long to wait for Part 3, on the flip side I’d rather they don’t rush and put out great films.

Also looks like Part 2 & 3 are being filmed entirely on IMAX rather than the mixed Aspect Ratio which should up experience.

Looks like this has been delayed till March 2024 due to the writers & actors strikes.

While I’m a little gutted we won’t get it this year, I’m happy to support the strikes.

Looks like this has been delayed till March 2024 due to the writers & actors strikes.

While I’m a little gutted we won’t get it this year, I’m happy to support the strikes.
Yeah, same, they announced the delay yesterday.

And Trailer 3 has arrived.

Looks utterly fantastic.

Last edited:
My review of part 2: 👍 👍

I'm a big fan of the first part, and while the second part falls short of it, it is still quite good.

IMG_0272.jpeg

Finally got back from watching Prt 2 at the cinema.

I’m enchanted with Denis world building and the Character's he fills those worlds with. Obviously Frank Herbert has more to do with that but Denis vision of the source material is certainly better than Lynch.

To get into the mood the wife and I watched Part 1 again on UHD, finishing about 1 hour before 2 started so the whole thing was fresh in our minds. It certainly makes for a cohesive and stunning journey.

I felt 2 could have been longer, fleshing out the battle sequences a bit more and diving deeper into Paul’s rite of passage from an Atreides to an honorary Fremen. Also I could certainly handle some more worms. It did feel as though maybe this was considered and cut to be a more cinema friendly time.

Denis is apparently nearly finished with the script for Part 3, which should cover Dune Messiah. There is also talk of a prequel TV series, but it’s not a forgone conclusion.

I wouldn’t say the second film quite stands up to the hype that reviews and critics are giving it but it’s not far off.

I can’t wait for the UHD so I can watch both back to back. I’d also like to see extended versions and hopefully this included the altering aspect ratios to show the IMAX scenes.

Last edited:
I watched Dune Part 2 at IMAX on Saturday, in short, I thought it was fantastic. A real cinematic masterpiece.

That said, it wasn't without flaws, but it picks up right from where Part 1 ended. Becuase Part 1 did most of the world building, Part 2 felt faster paced and if you watched Part 1 (which you should), you will already be familiar with most of the characters and themes.

Chalamet played the part superbly, as did most of the cast. Some actors aren't in the film as much as you might have thought, and one thing I did feel like was the Harkonens didn't come across as smart and cunning in this film as they had in the first. But overall, the film really hit the mark and I would definitely reommend it.

If you were a fan of the first, you'll probably like Part 2 as much, if not more than Part 1. If you didn't like Part 1, then depending on why, you may like Part 2, but I think he odds are you won't.

For me, and I was a big fan of Part 1, I really enjoyed it. Although it is slightly longer thna Part 1, it felt shorter as it was better paced in my opinion.

Overall, I would give this a 9/10 and reccomment anyone interested, to go and see it in IAX or the equivilent if availalbe in your area.

Awesome. LOTR level of cinematography, instant classic. Would be perfect in form of trilogy, now feels little bit incomplete).

Third part of the second film feels little bit butchered on montage table, but I get why(2.5h long film already). 3h director's cut would be great.

MMO survival from Conan, Anarchy online and Secret World creators.

Finally saw it last night with my wife. As a huge fan of epic Fantasy tales, I was impressed with the complexity of the storyline, and of course, the cinematography and musical score.

Debating on wether or not to read the series before they release Part 3.

“Dune” is what I wish they would have done with my beloved Dark Tower series 😑

Last edited:
View attachment 1333134

Finally got back from watching Prt 2 at the cinema.

I’m enchanted with Denis world building and the Character's he fills those worlds with. Obviously Frank Herbert has more to do with that but Denis vision of the source material is certainly better than Lynch.

To get into the mood the wife and I watched Part 1 again on UHD, finishing about 1 hour before 2 started so the whole thing was fresh in our minds. It certainly makes for a cohesive and stunning journey.

I felt 2 could have been longer, fleshing out the battle sequences a bit more and diving deeper into Paul’s rite of passage from an Atreides to an honorary Fremen. Also I could certainly handle some more worms. It did feel as though maybe this was considered and cut to be a more cinema friendly time.

Denis is apparently nearly finished with the script for Part 3, which should cover Dune Messiah. There is also talk of a prequel TV series, but it’s not a forgone conclusion.

I wouldn’t say the second film quite stands up to the hype that reviews and critics are giving it but it’s not far off.

I can’t wait for the UHD so I can watch both back to back. I’d also like to see extended versions and hopefully this included the altering aspect ratios to show the IMAX scenes.
After reading your post, then researching… I was honestly shocked that the trilogy wasn’t filmed in one sitting - as is normal for movies THEY KNOW they’ll do sequels too

I saw Dune part 2 in a 70mm IMAX theater and it was incredible. After watching Oppenheimer and now this I think I'm slowly becoming a 70mm IMAX snob

Debating on wether or not to read the series before they release Part 3.
I don't think reading the series would spoil enjoyment of the movies in any real way. If anything it goes into a lot more explicit detail of the world-building in ways that just aren't possible with a movie without spouting exposition directly in the camera. I don't think you need the books to enjoy the movies though, and the movies might well be more enjoyable going in blind.

Also, the books set you up to enjoy the rest of the series. Dune is really good, but there's an argument that the first three books are just set-up for God Emperor of Dune. I really, really hope that Villeneuve just keeps going making these for the next decade or so and gets at least that far. Maybe it could be done in 5 movies?

Last edited:
Back