Dynamic lighting glitch?

• Thread starter Jedi2016
  • 10 comments
I'm just curious if anyone else noticed this.

By "dynamic lighting", I'm referring to the overall brightness of the image, in and out of the HDR range. For example, when you go into the tunnel, especially on the Reverse track, it brightens up a bit so you can make out the details on the wall (with some nice parallax mapping on the bricks). And when you come out of the tunnel, especially going Forward, there's a brief flash of bright light as you exit, that dims down to become more natural.

A couple of times playing the game, I've felt that the image was too dark. I could still see everything, but it didn't really look like bright daylight anymore. Combine that with some darker-than-usual Blu-ray movies, and it makes me question the calibration of my TV, when I'm fairly certain it's accurate.

Anyway, I was playing the game yesterday, driving the track in Reverse for the first time, and was again thinking that certain sections of the track were too dark. I happened to glance behind me to see something, and when the view returned to normal, I was surprised to see that the lighting had also returned to normal, and was much brighter than it had been a half a second before.

Has anyone else noticed this? Ever notice that the image seems a bit darker than it should be? Try that "trick".. change the camera view (in/out of the vehicle also works), and see if it fixes itself. I'm curious if others have noticed this, and I certainly hope it's something that PD addresses at some point. What with HDR illumination and all, bright daylight should be just that... bright.

By "dynamic lighting", I'm referring to the overall brightness of the image, in and out of the HDR range. For example, when you go into the tunnel, especially on the Reverse track, it brightens up a bit so you can make out the details on the wall (with some nice parallax mapping on the bricks). And when you come out of the tunnel, especially going Forward, there's a brief flash of bright light as you exit, that dims down to become more natural.

A couple of times playing the game, I've felt that the image was too dark. I could still see everything, but it didn't really look like bright daylight anymore. Combine that with some darker-than-usual Blu-ray movies, and it makes me question the calibration of my TV, when I'm fairly certain it's accurate.

Anyway, I was playing the game yesterday, driving the track in Reverse for the first time, and was again thinking that certain sections of the track were too dark. I happened to glance behind me to see something, and when the view returned to normal, I was surprised to see that the lighting had also returned to normal, and was much brighter than it had been a half a second before.

Has anyone else noticed this? Ever notice that the image seems a bit darker than it should be? Try that "trick".. change the camera view (in/out of the vehicle also works), and see if it fixes itself. I'm curious if others have noticed this, and I certainly hope it's something that PD addresses at some point. What with HDR illumination and all, bright daylight should be just that... bright.

I have'nt noticed anything in the way of glitches...well maybe I have, but it seemed like they were trying to simulate your eyes focusing on the light in certian situations. when you get in the tunnel, if you stay on the dark side, it slowly gets brighter, like your eyes suddenly dialate. if you stay in the part where the light hits, everything is bright and you can't really see very well in the shaded area. if you stay in the shaded area then exit, it seems very bright, then adjusts.

it could of course all be a glitch, or my memory is wrong, but that's the way it seemed to me

It seems worse when you drive the course backwards. Try it.. go through the tunnel, around the corner, facing back towards the "top" of the track. Note how bright the environment is. Now do a quick look-behind and -forward, and see if it changes. If it's doing like mine is, the image will be significantly brighter when you look forward again.

I've noticed a similar "dimming" on the reverse track when pulling up the final hill towards the train station. It's something I always make a mental note of and then forget about when I'm on other parts of the track. :dunce: I thought it was just me - I'll pay more attention and look out for it next time. I've never noticed a dimming in Blu-Ray movies, though.

No, this is something unique to GTHD, something in the way the game is handling the change in brightness for the lighting. I just hope it's something they're aware of and will fix sometime down the road.

You mean how the bright sunlight would normally dazzle you, requiring your eyes a second or so to adjust...

Just making sure we're talking about the same thing. Because I know how how realistic lighting can throw people off. :)

You mean how the bright sunlight would normally dazzle you, requiring your eyes a second or so to adjust...

Just making sure we're talking about the same thing. Because I know how how realistic lighting can throw people off. :)
Yes. I know Test Drive Unlimited on the X360 does that as well. It's the first game that I've actually see do it, actually...

I'm not sure what's wrong about the overall brightness though. A few games have had a similar problem to this in the past, so hopefully they will fix it.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about, but that's not the "glitch" I'm talking about. That sunlight exiting the tunnel is supposed to be there. But when the lighting system glitches, and leaves the whole screen darker than it should be, that's what I'm talking about.

As I said, try the exact thing I mentioned above. Drive the track in reverse. Go through the tunnel and around the left turn. When you're facing the top of the track again, take a look at the surrounding environment. Now do a quick tap of the look-behind button, then let it go. You'll see that the environment up the hill just "magically" became much brighter, without the car even moving.

I'm pretty sure HDR lighting is just like that in all games. If you've played Counter-Strike with HDR on, the same thing happens when there's a huge change in lighting.

As I said, try the exact thing I mentioned above. Drive the track in reverse. Go through the tunnel and around the left turn. When you're facing the top of the track again, take a look at the surrounding environment. Now do a quick tap of the look-behind button, then let it go. You'll see that the environment up the hill just "magically" became much brighter, without the car even moving.

I may have forgotten, but are you the one with the Westinghouse TV?

Again: just checking, because I still haven't noticed it.

Back