E-Cigarettes and Vaping Thread

I'm really thinking about getting into vaping to at least cut my actual smoking down from a pack a day, I've tried a few and nothing has really stuck because I still get cravings, I have stuck with using my vuse e-cig at least at times when I can't smoke, and it's quite tolerable. My question really is can anyone recommend a cheap setup for a total noob that if I give up and throw it away I wouldn't be losing too much money?

I'm really thinking about getting into vaping to at least cut my actual smoking down from a pack a day, I've tried a few and nothing has really stuck because I still get cravings, I have stuck with using my vuse e-cig at least at times when I can't smoke, and it's quite tolerable. My question really is can anyone recommend a cheap setup for a total noob that if I give up and throw it away I wouldn't be losing too much money?

The Blu Plus system I use was $40 and they look and feel pretty similar to cigarettes. It comes with 3 tobacco cartridges, two batteries, and a charging unit. I see you are already using the Vuse e-cig, which I've also tried and rather liked. I found Blu's tobacco flavor to be more like a cigar or piper whereas Vuse is more like a cigarette. I know there's a lot of negativity towards companies like Blu and Vuse, but it's mainly because they are owned by big tobacco companies and more and more people who vape don't want anything that looks like a cigarette. However, the good thing is you can pick up the cartridges for either of these e-cigs at almost any corner store that sells regular cigarettes.

As for one of the pen style vapors, I've heard nothing but good things about the Evod but I can't really comment any more than that.

The Blu Plus system I use was $40 and they look and feel pretty similar to cigarettes. It comes with 3 tobacco cartridges, two batteries, and a charging unit. I see you are already using the Vuse e-cig, which I've also tried and rather liked. I found Blu's tobacco flavor to be more like a cigar or piper whereas Vuse is more like a cigarette. I know there's a lot of negativity towards companies like Blu and Vuse, but it's mainly because they are owned by big tobacco companies and more and more people who vape don't want anything that looks like a cigarette. However, the good thing is you can pick up the cartridges for either of these e-cigs at almost any corner store that sells regular cigarettes.

As for one of the pen style vapors, I've heard nothing but good things about the Evod but I can't really comment any more than that.
I actually like the cigarette style, it makes it easier to carry it around so im more likely to use it, I looked at the evod and hopefully someone more experienced in vaping chimes in before I pull the trigger. I do have an expensive set of li-ion batteries and charger I can use to save money on a battery.

Wow, lot's of good conversation here, glad to see people aren't fighting and flaming :cheers:

Let's see if I can keep this to under a page worth of stuff lol

1. @Mike_grpA posted a pretty good article. It does bring up a few interesting points. However it is written in a manner that seems to be a little squeamish about mentioning how those same chemicals are found and created in analog smokes. It does touch on it, but doesn't truly compare them. Secondly it does not talk about the specific liquids used for the tests. There are a LOT of liquids from China that have all sorts of nasty stuff in them and most of these studies notoriously use the worst ones they can find to effect a negative result. Notice they have never once used liquid from any of the products sold by the big tobacco companies for these tests either.

Another thing they skim over is that they use "items found in food flavorings" etc... what they don't mention is that these same chemicals are found in the very inhalers doctors prescribe to patients for asthma attacks, one of the things they site as a contributor found in ecigs. I've checked the labels on several of my wifes and my sons and they both have propylene glycol and glycerin in them. Ever go to a concert, club, or dance party? The fog machines at those events are nothing more than a big ecig without nicotine or flavoring. The use a coil to heat either propylene glycol or glycerin to produce vapor. Use a humidifier with any sort of additive? You'll find it in there are well. Nasal sprays, air fresheners, basically anything wet that gets aerosolized. Now, I'll give you that people don't inhale the same amount when using an inhaler, or humidifier, or going to a club, but it is the same substance(s).

At any rate, I get the point of the story, they want people to understand that they may not be totally harmless like many people think, but the point that should be stressed is that they are still a better alternative.

2. As @niky pointed out, the real nasty stuff starts happening when you start to superheat this stuff. The research story briefly passes this over by mentioning "higher voltage". What you really need to do is look at it from a standpoint of Wattage, not Voltage. Voltage only takes into account the battery output and not the overall power converting the liquid to vapor. Heating coils have different resistance values and as such I can have a high resistance coil and high voltage but get the same result with a low res coil and a low voltage battery. This is why power (wattage) should be used instead.

Now, a typical "cigalike" like Blu and Vuse, as well as "pen style" Evod as mentioned by @Joey D have a normal operating voltage of about 3.4-3.8v and usually a coil that is approximately 2ohm which makes it's max power rating about 7.2w. The setup I use has a 1.5ohm coil and a battery capable of running 4v which puts the max power level at about 10.6w. A lower end digital variable voltage/power device can usually run up to a max power level of about 15w. That being said, none of these devices have enough power to convert propylene glycol or glycerin into formaldehyde or other compounds.

Here is the real problem. Vaping has practically become a sport with some people. Who can get the biggest cloud, who can get the hardest hit, who can show the biggest numbers, etc. As such the power levels have continued to rise. Right now there are new devices on the market that can produce a staggering 45w. Think about this for a moment... an average car cigarette lighter can produce about 24w at the coil. I dripped a drop of liquid onto a car lighter once just to see what happens and let me tell you it is not pretty. At that power level the liquid instantly burns and I have no doubt it is a toxic nightmare. I can not imagine why these people are using twice as much power and even more so actually enjoying it. In my opionion those devices are hazardous in more ways than one and should really not be sold, but hey, if it makes them happy fine let them do it. I just don't want to see it on the news when some guy suffocates and then starts his house on fire with one.

3. @savage388 , basically there are two types you could start with, a "cigalike" style you can find almost anywhere that look just like analogs and are very cheap -or- what is more widely know as an eGo style or as @Joey D called it "pen style" which is also pretty easy to find and inexpensive (albeit a little more than the first).

As I've said before, to make these things work for you can be a matter of trial and error. I started messing with ecigs when they first came to the US about 6 or so years ago and have tried almost literally every design and method. Personally it was the eGo style (such as the Evod) that finally got me off analogs and it happened organically, I didn't decide to quit, it just happened on it's own. It is the same basic design I've stuck with because it works. You can generally pick up an evod kit for about $35.

The setup I am using as I write this is in fact a type of eGo setup (the one I mentioned before)...

16701975174_104c62da57_m.jpg

It is simple, durable, rebuildable, cheap, and works great for me. In fact it is easier and just as effective as the $200 setup I was using last summer. The one pictured would cost about $30 to replicate. An added bonus of this one is that the voltage is variable so you can adjust it to your liking. It will also accept a wide range of different res coils to further tune the power range. Those are two things you won't find on the kit models.

Another key component is nicotine level. If you pick something with too low of nicotine you won't like it because it will feel to far away from a real one. I've seen analogs compared to 36mg in the past so I would start at either that or 24mg depending on how heavily you smoke. I was up to 2.5pk/day when I quit and I was using 36mg at the time. If you smoke Menthol, get menthol flavor. If non-menthol keep in mind that "most" liquids labeled as tobacco are similar to a pipe tobacco or a cigar, not the flavor from a cig. Look for something listed as "reds" or "turkish" or something similar. Those usually try to emulate Marlboro or Camel type flavors. At the same time I would suggest trying a few different liquids to see if there is one that works for you. I would advise staying away from the super cheap Chinese stuff though, as mentioned above.

5. In my honest opinion there is obviously no way that ecigs will ever be "perfectly safe" but as I've said they are a better alternative, and if used correctly can be a great cessation aid. I'll admit that my personality does not allow the "cold turkey" method. I tried it several times and each time I ended up worse off than before and smoked even more. It's been a bit of a long road but I am now down to almost zero nicotine, and when that happens it won't be long before I ditch the ecigs altogether.

If you can, IMO the safest thing you can do is to mix your own liquid. This is what I do. I have total control over the ingredients used and their ratios. It is also truckloads of cash cheaper in the long run.

If you made it this far through my ramblings congratulations and I hope it helped answer some questions :)

Last edited:
It took me a bit but I finally picked up my first refillable Kanger Tech Evod kit today from a local shop called Joost Vapor. I figured I probably should support the local company so they stay around and they brew all their own liquids on site, as well as have all the ingredients (and where they purchased them from) posted so I know I'm at least getting a quality product. The girl helping me got me into a nice starter kit and threw in two 5mL bottles of some of their tobacco flavors. The flavors they gave me are a little on the mild side, but since they were included I can't complain. They taste more like a sweet cigar versus a cigarette or a more robust cigar like I'm used too, but browsing around it looks like they have other options.

ij7igvz.jpg

Big shoutout to @smskeeter23 for helping me make the switch, you were a ton of help!

I think I'm still going to keep my Blu kit in my truck, but the Kanger will be my go to this summer sitting on the back deck reading a book with a quality beer in hand.

I just got around to buying my first ego style pen and I'm disappointed that I've been missing out! I didn't even intend on quitting smoking but ive went from smoking a pack and a half of day to almost nothing in a week. My current setup and juice:
14384055265451459762963.jpg
Just a cheap battery with a kangertech genitank mini, and the juice is pina colada flavored which I find awesome over regular cigs.

Very good job there with the smoking cessation. Keep tapering down and hit the e-cigs like a treat. You'll probably enjoy it more when you do use it if you use it less frequently.

Glad to see this thread being useful :-)
Your advice helped alot 👍👍 I've already upgraded from that setup to a vv pen and want a mod box with a larger tank already. All the choices are crazy confusing though so I'm working on it.

Yes lots and LOTS of choices for sure. This is what I'm vapin on right now as I type this...

Vamo V6 40w, Kanger Protank II with a Kanger Aerotank flow valve base and stainless tip and 2.3ohm coil.

20150810_124620-picsay.jpg

Yes lots and LOTS of choices for sure. This is what I'm vapin on right now as I type this...

Vamo V6 40w, Kanger Protank II with a Kanger Aerotank flow valve base and stainless tip and 2.3ohm coil.

View attachment 428452
That pen mod looks amazing, I know I'm getting a kangertech subtank mini, so would that fire a sub ohm coil? I'm really looking at the sigelei mini or ipv mini so far. I'm really trying to keep it budget friendly, after all I want to save a little money by not smoking lol. Down to two packs a week from 8 currently so I have a little ways to go yet. Work isn't vaping friendly so I still have to smoke to get my nic fix in 5 mins or less every couple hours :(

Can't say I've ever really ventured into sub-ohm coils. Even 1.5s are hotter than I like.

Take a look into this http://www.discountvapers.com/vamo-v7-40-watt-mod-stainless-steel/ I've seen them fire down to .8 whereas most VV mods cut off at 1.2

Personally though I wouldn't recommend sub-ohm stuff it can be quite dangerous if you don't know what you are doing in more ways than one.
Since I've already pulled the trigger on a kanger subtank mini I'll find out how I like it, I'm not going into building quite yet, just using the stock .5 and 1.5 coils. If I don't like subohm the 1.5 coil should be fine. I figure it's the same price as any other tank so I can use it at higher resistance. I'm more of a lung-hitter (?) So I'm really not to satisfied with the little pen.
About lithium ion safety, its something I know enough not to mess with after playing with flashlights and lasers with 18650 cells. Ive never had one vent but its because I buy the right chargers/batteries and keep and keep an eye on them while charging and discharging.

Edit: after a week on the subtank mini with the innokin MVP pro I just don't want to smoke, these subohm tanks are very simple too, not much harder to take care of than any other tank. I've even messed with building my own coils for it some pretty decent success.
IMG_20150821_143244736.jpg

Last edited:
My current setup. switched from a mechanical mod to this and it hits like a freight train lol. it's a tugboat v2 with a twisted messes RDA and twin 18650 batteries. I haven't touched a cig in almost 3 months now
IMG_20160813_084818.jpg

Figured I'd bring this back now that vaping technology has grown even more.

I can't smoke in my apartment (I get why), which makes having a cigar a bit difficult. I'm also yet to find a cigar bar in Utah (I'm guessing they don't exist because it goes against the LDS Church or something) which makes it more difficult. So I figured I'd go back to vaping so I can at least have something to do while sitting on my back patio reading a book now that the weather is nice. The dude at the vape shop hooked me up with an ELeaf battery and an Aspire Cleito tank. Right now I have a Cavendish flavored e-liquid in it that seems to taste pretty good.

WFyMcK0.jpg

Stupidly vaping is illegal here in public and sales of juice is prohibited which means now that my machine is broken (cheap plastic part broke) I can't get a replacement and have been smoking regular cigarettes which are certainly killing me. Somebody has told me there's a vape shop in the city but I'm yet to find it.

Figured I'd bring this back now that vaping technology has grown even more.

I can't smoke in my apartment (I get why), which makes having a cigar a bit difficult. I'm also yet to find a cigar bar in Utah (I'm guessing they don't exist because it goes against the LDS Church or something) which makes it more difficult. So I figured I'd go back to vaping so I can at least have something to do while sitting on my back patio reading a book now that the weather is nice. The dude at the vape shop hooked me up with an ELeaf battery and an Aspire Cleito tank. Right now I have a Cavendish flavored e-liquid in it that seems to taste pretty good.

WFyMcK0.jpg
Nice. I used to have an eLeaf iStick Basic. One of the best little vapes I've ever used. My only problem was that, after putting a new coil in, it would take so long for me to get any flavor that, by the time I got any, the coil was already burnt. :/

It's insane how much the tech in these things is improving and reducing size and weight. I've got a SMOK G-Priv with a touchscreen and a TFV-12 that genuinely has 12 very small coils packed into it. The T-12 coils are a little much, so I'm gonna switch to the T4 when this one goes up.

Honestly it's kinda helped me lose a little weight, because when I'm craving something sweet I can just draw on this and taste fruit loops, cinnamon toast crunch, berries, or whatever.

14933934003521766097611.jpg

These coils usually last a while, too. Much better than the cheap one I started with years ago, or anything that was on the market at the time.

Stupidly vaping is illegal here in public and sales of juice is prohibited which means now that my machine is broken (cheap plastic part broke) I can't get a replacement and have been smoking regular cigarettes which are certainly killing me. Somebody has told me there's a vape shop in the city but I'm yet to find it.

In Utah it's actually illegal for me to buy any vaping products on the Internet, mostly because I think the state would rather have people smoking combustible cigarettes since they generate more tax revenue. Zoning regulation make it nearly impossible for brick and mortar shops to open too, so my selection is pretty limited. Looks like I'll be going to Wyoming more.

We have a vaping thread...great!!!

There is some incredible confusing information in the media right now. I've spent a lot of hours reading and researching about what is happening and would like to share what I have found out.

Background on my position:
My wife and I have smoked on and off for over 30 years. We both quit smoking on the same day, Aug 6th of this year. We walked into a vaping specialty store, asked for advice, and walked out with devices. That was the last day either if us have had a smoke.

Flavors are a big topic. My favourite go to are watermelon/strawberry, Dunks (dunkaroos), and 8 ball- a caramel latte with spiced rum and vanilla custard

Plan on posting some info very soon.

Any questions?

"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."

Unknown

Last edited:
Smoker, vaper, non smoker...all Americans should be angry with how their governments are far more interested in the agendas, and MSA and tax money. You should be upset that activists and health care agencies with an abstinence ethos don't want to even consider harm reduction as an option.

Phil and Dimitri are well known in the vaping community and do a great job of explaining what is actually going on in the states.

Maybe you think its really about the kids. After all this is over, cigarettes will still be available at gas stations and corner stores. No harm in that I guess.

And the kids will still be able to get fruity vodka and coolers. That's apparently not an issue, even if over 4,000 under age kids die in the US every year, from drinking alone.

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/underage-drinking.htm

Last edited:
https://m.metrotimes.com/detroit/ca...illness-cdc-finally-says/Content?oid=22770256

Everyone knew this weeks ago.
The CDC are either terrible problem solvers, or really good at creating them. I'm not really sure at this point. Either way, deaths of Americans could have been prevented with strong clear and actionable warnings weeks ago.

I have to add that the message is still not going out loud and clear in the media. I have 4 teenagers living at home. I've explained to them what is really going on. Then I asked how common is THC vaping happening. It's big. I've read that it's about 30% of the product being vaped.

I asked them to reach out to their friends and talk to them about the current issue with street/black market THC carts.

I don't usually use drugs. Prefer wine and whiskey myself. No one should be dying for wanting to get a little high.

My understanding is that there are close to a million of these tainted THC carts in circulation at the moment.

Last edited:
That's why my dad took the time to get a medical marijuana card and do it properly. Also, you have teenage kids that listen to you?!

Joe! How are ya now? I don't think I knew you were a Michigander. I always assumed you were from AZ. Surprises me how many of us there are on GTP.

On the topic. I personally havent smoked since 2010 wasn't really a heavy smoker since 2006. At most though I was never more than half a pack a day. Generally 4 to 6. I enjoyed the flavored Camels that came in the tin. Especially the Mandarin Mint and Dark Mint.
My wife has struggled with quitting since I quit. About a year ago she switched over to using a Smok vape pen and has slowly been decreasing the nicotine strength. She prefers using the tobacco flavor.
I myself actually just picked up vaping. I use CBD as I found it helps me deal with some anxiety issues that have cropped up recently. (Oddly my mother struggled through them at the same age and my sister is also starting to feel anxiety as well). I am not a big fan of psychoactive medications and find the effects of things like xanax unenjoyable. CBD doesnt completely stop anxiety, but it definitely lessens the effects and doesnt drug me up. My preference is tinctures, however, vaping is perfect for getting an immediate reduction in anxiety rather than waiting on the tincture to be absorbed.
I prefer simpler flavors. Blueberry, cherry. Nothing crazy like pumpkin spice creme brulee berry Blast minty vanilla. I do definitely enjoy vaping though.
On this issue, my wife and I were on opposite sides. She fell in with the "for the kids" argument for a while. I think after debating a few other people on the issue shes coming over to the other side. Living in mid michigan, its sure going to be inconvenient having to travel out of state to get flavored CBD juice. I really hope ignorant reactionism isnt the style of governing we can expect of Whitmer.

@Rallywagon I'm in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada. Good to know your wife was able to get off the cigarettes with vaping. Its really easy with this method. Ans that's what I think has a few people scared; the huge swing off of tabacco that will continue if not banned.

Can't trust mainstream media to give you the full picture. That has been very clear lately. This problem has now started in Canada and the reporting is a couple weeks behind what is now reported in the states. There is little mention of tainted THC carts. It's all about banning vaping because it will kill you and saving the kids before they turn to smoking analog cigarettes. Its insanity.

Last edited:
I vape. I enjoy vaping. I stopped smoking cigarettes largely because of vaping.

I can’t help but scratch my head as our media is consumed with the 12 known vaping deaths this year as to the reason for all the coverage.

Trying to instill fear? RJ Reynolds and big tobacco losses turning into a media war on vape juice?

From what reliable information I’ve been able to gather most of these deaths have been attributed to vaping synthetic cannabis, or K2, also known as “Spice” on the street.

Any other smokers/vapors out there finding these media reports questionable?

Didn’t see that 7 year old thread.
Every day here in 2019 a major media outlet runs a new story on vape danger, and they all fail to mention the CDC numbers of 480,000 dry tobacco deaths last year.

Didn’t see that 7 year old thread.
Every day here in 2019 a major media outlet runs a new story on vape danger, and they all fail to mention the CDC numbers of 480,000 dry tobacco deaths last year.
The thread may be seven years old, but the most recent post isn't yet three days old; the thread is still on the first page of the Rumble Strip subforum.

But don't read too much into my posting that link, because that's really all I did. It was a polite suggestion that there already exists a thread for discussing this topic. I didn't even alert moderators to this one and request a merge or a lock.

And for what it's worth, we've known of the health risk associated with cigarettes for quite some time now; we're actually approaching the 56th anniversary of the first Surgeon General's report (the first report, not the first individual to hold that title) on those dangers.

Vaping is quite new by comparison, and while I don't doubt it doesn't necessarily pose the same threat, it still isn't without risks and is subject to harmful effects not inherent to cigarette smoking.

Back