E3 2008 Videos and News

I think really the only thing that I see as worth while at E3 this year is more details on a Spore.

G.T
Square Enix are also developing 3 other games for the console, forgot what they're called. I guess MS payed them a lot to fill in the lack of RPGs it has.

I could see it being Square's decision. They'll probably make more money that way. And it's not like the PS3 has a pile of RPGs either.

edit: I bet the 360 version of FFXIII will be on at least 3 discs.

I could see it being Square's decision. They'll probably make more money that way. And it's not like the PS3 has a pile of RPGs either.

Microsoft has been trying to steal Final Fantasy from Sony for ages now, Square said they would have to pay for the entire development cost of a XBOX 360 Final Fantasy XIII and they initially refused.

Now it looks like Billy Boy went ahead and signed the check.

PS3 games I'm looking forward to:

Dumbed Down Ported Final Fantasy XIII that only runs at 30fps on PS3 and 60fps on the 360 because Microsoft makes Square say the 360 is superior (Yeah right:rolleyes:) with exclusive Xbox 360 Add-On Content
Gran Turismo 5
Little Big Planet

The Microsoft Press Conference is Today, anyone going to spy on the enemy?

I'm recording it, as I am all the coverage on G4, but I definitely don't consider Microsoft or the Xbox an enemy. Far from it. Competition is great. Imagine what the PS3 and PSN may have been like without having to compete against Microsoft, the 360 and XBL - and vice versa.

In fact, I'm hoping the PS3's success will force Microsoft to come out with a new console that truly offers next gen technology, full HD media support, 3rd party peripheral support (no crappy MS wheels!), 3rd party hardware support (no $200 120GB MS licensed drives), and improved reliability. When that happens I'll be among the first to buy one! 👍

Maybe, but they're claiming they are out selling the PS3 (by maybe a million units according to their chart), and that they will continue to outsell the PS3 this generation through offering exclusive Xbox titles & Live.

I'm recording the coverage so I have not seen it yet, but global sales of PS3 have been higher than 360 for several months now. In fact, until recently, even PS2 sales have been higher than 360 sales.

ConsoleSales2008071320080114.jpg

G.T
Yeah, I know how you feel, but it's good to know a lot more people will get the FF experience now.

I agree. I'm always in favor of multi-platform releases... as long as the developer doesn't dumb down or limit the size and scope of a game just so it will work with all platforms.

So I take it you all missed it last week when Sony's CEO was talking about how their focus is shifting to first-party because third-party exclusives aren't financially feasible for developers any more?

PS3 games I'm looking forward to:

Dumbed Down Ported Final Fantasy XIII that only runs at 30fps on PS3 and 60fps on the 360 because Microsoft makes Square say the 360 is superior (Yeah right:rolleyes:) with exclusive Xbox 360 Add-On Content

I doubt that will happen, at least the part before the exclusive add-ons.

G.T
Woo, Final Fantasy XIII for 360. :D

Wow! :eek: Definitely didn't see that one coming. Seems a perfectly reasonable development however as I'm sure the development costs for the FF series have skyrocketed these past 2 or 3 versions. So it's pretty much a win-win, Square gets twice the user base to sell to and MS gets to steal a little of Sony's thunder. Obviously all things being equal I'm rooting for the PS3, but hey free markets FTW! :)

So I take it you all missed it last week when Sony's CEO was talking about how their focus is shifting to first-party because third-party exclusives aren't financially feasible for developers any more?

Must have been posting at the same time. Anyway good recall, obviously given that statement we should be much less surprised.

Wow! :eek: Definitely didn't see that one coming. Seems a perfectly reasonable development however as I'm sure the development costs for the FF series have skyrocketed these past 2 or 3 versions. So it's pretty much a win-win, Square gets twice the user base to sell to and MS gets to steal a little of Sony's thunder. Obviously all things being equal I'm rooting for the PS3, but hey free markets FTW! :)

Win: Square Enix
Win: Microsoft

EPIC FAIL: Final Fantasy Gamers

I think this is a bit extreme as I personally know a lot of Final Fantasy fans who bought a PS3 in anticipation of FFXIII.

And if Square gave the PS3 a few bonuses I wouldn't be surprised either.

I think this is a bit extreme as I personally know a lot of Final Fantasy fans who bought a PS3 in anticipation of FFXIII.

That's a major part of the reason why I got a PS3 along with MGS4.

I don't know, if I were you (or any other avid FF gamer) I wouldn't jump off a cliff just yet. I can understand your disappointment, but consider that XIII has been in development for what... at least 2 years. The vast majority of that effort has been focused on the PS3 as being THE hardware platform. So since this multiplatform development is, in comparison, fairly recent if anything I'd expect the 360 to get the inferior port this time around. So buck up camper, this announcement isn't all doom and gloom.

G.T
Woo, Final Fantasy XIII for 360. :D

All jokes aside, this really is another perfect example of how the word "exclusive" means nothing anymore. I see nothing wrong with it at all but you should see some of the forums exploding over this news.

I don't know, if I were you (or any other avid FF gamer) I wouldn't jump off a cliff just yet. I can understand your disappointment, but consider that XIII has been in development for what... at least 2 years. The vast majority of that effort has been focused on the PS3 as being THE hardware platform. So since this multiplatform development is, in comparison, fairly recent if anything I'd expect the 360 to get the inferior port this time around. So buck up camper, this announcement isn't all doom and gloom.
Besides, it may require multiple discs, which immediately makes the PS3 version a better option for those with both systems.

All jokes aside, this really is another perfect example of how the word "exclusive" means nothing anymore. I see nothing wrong with it at all but you should see some of the forums exploding over this news.

I figured all the fanboys would come out.

Besides, it may require multiple discs, which immediately makes the PS3 version a better option for those with both systems.

It most certainly will. Lost Odyssey, which I'm currently playing, is on 4 discs.

Oh I can only imagine. This is the kind of announcement that the net trolls drool over and dream about. :lol:

I figured all the fanboys would come out.
Pfft, I'm already stuck in an email discussion. I don't need forums.

All because my one Nintendo fanboy friend is upset that Microsoft and Sony are only trash talking each other and ignoring Nintendo, like they aren't worth the effort.

Only reason I bought a PS3 so long ago was in anticipation of just 2 games, GT5 and FFXIII. Everything else didn't really matter.

FFXIII forums are going crazy now talking about how there is no reason to get a PS3 now and that the PS3 they have now is useless.

icelt

I would expect that if we weren't dealing with Microsoft. When they buy something they want a favor in return, better framerate, exclusive add on content, something.

****, we might even have had FF-XIII by now if all these behind the scenes deals weren't going on. That's why we've seen it for 2 years and there has been next to nothing to come out on it because Microsoft was busy negotiating how much.

I would expect that if we weren't dealing with Microsoft. When they buy something they want a favor in return, better framerate, exclusive add on content, something.

****, we might even have had FF-XIII by now if all these behind the scenes deals weren't going on. That's why we've seen it for 2 years and there has been next to nothing to come out on it because Microsoft was busy negotiating how much.

C'mon now that's a whole lot of speculation. Checking FF history here real quick FFX was released in 2001 and FFXII didn't show up until 2006! I'm kinda omitting XI as it was a MMORPG. Even including XII it was released in 2002. So there was a solid 4-5 development cycle before XII was ready for sale. And correct me if I missed something, but none of that had to do with MS mucking with the works as both X & XII were PS2 exclusives. These games just take a loooooong time to program. Now you have to factor into that equation the PS3 learning curve, so given all that to suggest somehow they could have finished XIII in around half the time it took to complete XII is quite the analytical leap IMHO.

1st off, I never made any claim or reference to sales between the competing consoles (present or future). 2nd off, I clearly indicated I was stating a personal opinion. 3rd off, sales has bugger all to do with fundamental hardware design, manufacture, assembly, testing and packaging. 4th off, what else do you expect MS to say? You know Sony is going to "cook" their numbers in a similar fashion. When it comes to sales projections by these companies it's all plausible horse manure.
I never said you did. Don't over react & get so defensive. :odd:

I never said you did. Don't over react & get so defensive. :odd:

Yeah in retrospect I think you're right. My apologies :guilty:.

Edit--------------

Since it will be at least a year before we see XIII released what about the possibility MS uses this game as justification to release a BR drive 360 model thus getting around the disc issue? It has already been rumored that they are toying around with the idea so I'm thinking this announcement just might be linked to a future HW revision. I mean MS has already shown they are not adverse to mfr'ing significantly differently spec'd models. However to make this idea viable, especially to Square, they would then have to produce 2 different versions; 1 for DVD 360's and 1 for BR 360's. Hmmm.... kinda makes the whole idea less financially feasible, but this is $20+ billion in cash MS we're talking about.

I was still fuming over being lied to and betrayed by Square-Enix for the past 2 years about FF13 being PS3 exclusive until I saw this posted on anther forum:

response.jpg

I lol'd, but I'm still furious we have been led around with a leash for 2 years only to be lied to and betrayed later on.

The thing is, according to initial reports they're not even going to release the 360 version in Japan because the install base of 360s there is pathetic. So that leaves just American and European territories. American 360 owners are more interseted in shooters and American RPGs not JRPGs. Iirc PS3 has already outsold the 360 in Europe.

Also, the 360 version is said to be released at the same time as the PS3 version which is another slap in the face of people who bought the PS3 for this game after seeing the 2006 trailer that said "Exclusively for the Playstation 3"

They said the deal was made 'recently' so FF-XIII might not even make 2009 because the 360 version will hold back

damn!

I was still fuming over being lied to and betrayed by Square-Enix for the past 2 years about FF13 being PS3 exclusive until I saw this posted on anther forum:

response.jpg

I lol'd, but I'm still furious we have been led around with a leash for 2 years only to be lied to and betrayed later on.

The thing is, according to initial reports they're not even going to release the 360 version in Japan because the install base of 360s there is pathetic. So that leaves just American and European territories. American 360 owners are more interseted in shooters and American RPGs not JRPGs. Iirc PS3 has already outsold the 360 in Europe.

Also, the 360 version is said to be released at the same time as the PS3 version which is another slap in the face of people who bought the PS3 for this game after seeing the 2006 trailer that said "Exclusively for the Playstation 3"

They said the deal was made 'recently' so FF-XIII might not even make 2009 because the 360 version will hold back

damn!
:lol: My word, some people need to get a life. People complaining that their PS3 is useless, err no it's not FFXIII is still coming out on the PS3, they can still use thier PSS3's for what they intended, if their intention was to play FFXIII on it. If thier intention was as much if not more so to use FFXIII in the virtual penis tugging game of my consoles better than yours then these people are to put it simply, losers with seemingly very little in thier lives that is of any actual worth.

Anywho, I'm hoping we get some new info on GT5 tomorrow and maybe a few other interesting titles.

nevermind the bloody betrayers!

sony's press conference is tomorrow: finger crossed!
After that Final Fantasy bomb already has forums screaming EPIC WIN for Microsoft Sony had better drop a huge bomb.

Because if they come out and hint at PSP peripherals "coming soon" that have been in other regions for months and talk about a movie download service without details I will be less than impressed.

And while we will be happy with some form of GT5P or GT5 news there needs to be something for the general gaming public.

nevermind the bloody betrayers!

sony's press conference is tomorrow: finger crossed!

I don't know what Sony can do tommorrow to counter this

Except,

• Super Awesome Trailer of Gran Turismo 5 showcasing damage and weather.
  • Concrete Home Relase Date and promise no more delays!
  • Announce another price drop (It's already too cheap for what it gives you)
  • Show a new jaw dropping first party game

We'll just have to wait and see, but we do need a strong counter attack vs the enemy.

lol I'm reading comments from various videogame websites about the FFXIII betrayl and they're making me lol, they range from xbots saying the PS3 is doomed and Sony will leave the console industry to intense, FIERY hot hate comments to Square Enix to those just laughing at fanboys...good stuff makes me feel a LITTLE bit better.

After that Final Fantasy bomb already has forums screaming EPIC WIN for Microsoft Sony had better drop a huge bomb.

Because if they come out and hint at PSP peripherals "coming soon" that have been in other regions for months and talk about a movie download service without details I will be less than impressed.

And while we will be happy with some form of GT5P or GT5 news there needs to be something for the general gaming public.

I totally agree with you.
Sony doesnt need to steal any exclusive game from xbox or PC. I think they just need to speed some upcoming releases and services. Besides there is already a lot of project coming to PS3 but we dont even know what they look like (LA Noire, Heavy Rain. God Of War 3 etc)

I haven't seen anything of that LA Noir since that first video popped up, looked like a potentially great game too.

I haven't seen anything of that LA Noir since that first video popped up, looked like a potentially great game too.
Well, they didn't want to steal their GTA4 thunder. Now that GTA4 is out the door we will probably see some more stuff.

Is R* at E3?

And for those that didn't see my post in the PS Store Update Thread:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/07/14/playstation-store-e3-release-plan/
+ Posted by Ro Hernandez // PLAYSTATION Store Team

Hi everyone – I’m Rommel Hernandez, and I manage the PLAYSTATION Store schedule.

With the E3 summit going down in LA this week, the PLAYSTATION Store will feature daily updates featuring fresh content straight from the conference. Check back often to download HD videos of some of hottest games featured at E3 from publishers like Capcom, Namco Bandai, Activision and THQ.

Also, here’s a quick look at some of the notable game content releasing this week:

- The Best of The Who Rock Band Edition
- Super Stardust HD Team Mode Add-on
- Elefunk an upcoming PLAYSTATION Network downloadable puzzle game

For daily update news, keep an eye on the PlayStation.Blog’s Twitter page or the module on the right sidebar. With all this E3 stuff going down, don’t forget to log on to peep out the normal Thursday update! This week promises to be one of the best ones yet with a variety of free and premium content for every type of gamer!

Have a great week!

Those screaming are just another example of what Dave commented on... only having an opposite reaction to the news.

I would say that if someone considers having a 360 version of the next FF game is an "EPIC WIN" for Microsoft, then Microsoft is in much worse shape than what the numbers have already shown. :indiff:

Speaking of which, so as not to get too far of topic, I moved my follow up comments on recent console sales HERE.

I will say though, that I agree with Dave, and that I really do not understand why people should react so negatively to this news. "If" it means Square Enix dumbs down and or limits the size and scope of FFXIII in order to make it an equal multi-platform release, then sure, I can understand why many may have some legitimate concerns.

However, seeing as we have no idea if that is really going to be the case, I think the best course of action is for those concerned fans, to contact reps at SE and let them know your concerns.

Same here. Last I heard it had grown significantly in size and scope and thus the expected release window was pushed back to 2009.

I would say that if someone considers having a 360 version of the next FF game is an "EPIC WIN" for Microsoft, then Microsoft is in much worse shape than what the numbers have already shown. :indiff:

Agreed. Besides the FFXIII bombshell, did anything else excite you from the Microsoft press conference? Exclusive Fallout 3 DLC? We all know how that's working out (cough*gta4*cough). Cover Flow, Netflix, Miitoos? Did they show any first party games at all?

Back