E3 2008 Videos and News

Agreed, I'm just not wowed by it but I really didn't think I would. Sure the graphics are pretty but I think the game play will be less than thrilling.

Seriously?? It looks like some of the most innovative gameplay Ive seen in a first person game period. Im more than excited for something different, and this sure looks to offer it.

Seriously?? It looks like some of the most innovative gameplay Ive seen in a first person game period. Im more than excited for something different, and this sure looks to offer it.

A game based on free running sounds very unappealing to me, seems to gimmicky to be honest. As I've said, graphically it looks great, but about the last thing I really care about in a game is how it looks. I'll download the demo though to see how it is, I might be surprised, but I'm not impressed with the initial reports.

Mirror's Edge needs a good story. Otherwise it would be a boring game for me.
This world needs a good quality game with a good quality story. I'm sick of seeing graphically good games but they are actually empty inside.

Mirror's Edge needs a good story. Otherwise it would be a boring game for me.
This world needs a good quality game with a good quality story. I'm sick of seeing graphically good games but they are actually empty inside.

Exactly, that's why I loved (and still love) Mass Effect. Graphically it was buggy as hell with texture pop-ins and weird shadow effects, but the story was simply epic which made it a great game.

100% agreed. In fact I don't think graphical they have shown anything that is spectacular... what is so interesting is the actual gameplay movement. I agree with Rainmaster and Joey, and that even having innovative movement isn’t enough to make a game truly compelling, and that having a story that engages you and makes you feel connected to the player on the screen is what often distinguishes one first person action game over another.

One of the things that really helped create Halo into the franchise that it is today is the connection the players have with Master Chief and many of the side characters.... without that I seriously doubt it would be as successful as it has been.

That said, we know very little about the story and the way that is translated into the final game. All we know right now is what they have shown, and considering so many people say gameplay is very important to them, and complain about how the gameplay in most first person games is practically identical... it's nice to see a game breaking the mold and incorporating a fast growing sport/movement (Parkour) into the mix. How it will all end up, who knows, but I certainly really like what I am seeing so far. 👍

Mirror's Edge looks lousy to me.

Im on the fence about mirrors edge, I already dont particularly like the lead character because she looks slightly overdone (all this bad-ass future look doesnt do it for me).... I would have prefered a Lara look-a-like :sly: and secondly if its just constantly running round jumping over objects just to get away it would get boring for me really quickly.... as others said it needs a good story and it needs EA to not mess it up!

Robin

So, I was going to post the FFXIII petition video, because it is full of hilariousness, but then he drops the F-bomb like three times in the last 30 seconds.

Joystiq has it if anyone wants to see why Earth is not over reacting, by comparison.

BTW: I still have not yet had a chance to watch the coverage off the DVR, but I heard that Microsoft made G4 and other news cameras shut off the cameras that were near the screen when they showed the video footage of FFXIII. Is that true, and if so why?

OK, so I finally got around to watching the G4 coverage, and sure enough the camera that was being used to show Microsoft's presentation went from this:

DSCN1967.jpg

To this (including a disclaimer from G4):

DSCN1966.jpg

I also noticed during the three minute long video (which the G4 commentators said was the same video that Sony showed two years ago) of FFXIII it cut to a black screen with some text on it, here is one of those screens:

DSCN1964.jpg

This happened about seven times. Anyone know what each of those screens said, and is that why Microsoft made G4 use a camera that was far enough away from the screen so that other than those in attendance, no one would know what it said on the screen? That, or maybe they didn't want it to be obvious that they were using the same footage that Sony showed two years ago?

Very odd.

OK, so I finally got around to watching the G4 coverage, and sure enough the camera that was being used to show Microsoft's presentation went from this:

This happened about seven times. Anyone know what each of those screens said, and is that why Microsoft made G4 use a camera that was far enough away from the screen so that other than those in attendance, no one would know what it said on the screen? That, or maybe they didn't want it to be obvious that they were using the same footage that Sony showed two years ago?

Very odd.

That is pretty telling now isn't it. Definitely interested to hear the back story on this one.

Conference is starting in half an hour.

And yes, I agree D-N, it's very, very odd that they had to film at that distance. It's clearly FF XIII, but, according to my brother who's watched the PS3 FF video several times, the video is different, but there are similar parts... It could still be PS3 footage though.

Pity, I'm going to be out when it starts. Anyone have any idea how long it's on for.

Generally 2 hours, depending now how much is annouced. Me thinks Sony's one will be pretty long. :)

EDIT:

@ G.T.: Presumably so... The Nintendo conference was surprisingly short and lacked a major title debut, but they're more about selling the consoles more mini games than actual titles these days, so I suppose that's not a big deal. When you're dominating the market in the manner that they know is working, why not continue going down the same path?

That being said, I was told Sony's conference started at two (by G4). Its now nearly 2:30 and I've yet to see anything.

I do hope that it is less-painful than last year's presentation. I'm interested to see what Sony has in store, because so far, E3 has not been overly impressive for me.

thank god veohTV will record the sony confrence for me seeing as ill get to see part of the first half hour then its off to work. will definatly have to check up on what was announced at work on my PSP. im hoping its something big that will make my time at work better.

Has it started yet? I got the stream up but there was no video. i refreshed the page then nothing

edit: 3 minutes past 2:30 and the stream is up but no video

Has it started yet? I got the stream up but there was no video. i refreshed the page then nothing

edit: 3 minutes past 2:30 and the stream is up but no video

Same here.

Edit----
Now I'm getting video

That being said, I was told Sony's conference started at two (by G4). Its now nearly 2:30 and I've yet to see anything.
Joystiq's live blog says they had to stand outside in line because Veronica Belmont was doing photo ops out front. Apparently everyone is still getting seated and they are just showing gameplay footage on all the Sony Vaio monitors.

thank god veohTV will record the sony confrence for me seeing as ill get to see part of the first half hour then its off to work. will definatly have to check up on what was announced at work on my PSP. im hoping its something big that will make my time at work better.
I just hope the PlayStation store gets the full presentation like they did from GDC.

If you ever want your wife to give up on trying to ungeek you watch an hour and a half gaming presentation while getting all excited at each new video.

Its kicking now... Although they're rambling about the Shrine Auditorium...

Opening with Jack Palance jokes :odd:

Edit----

Using LBP as a backdrop for the business presentation.... brilliant!!

Check the first post, they actually said 2:30pm:

2:30PM ET - Live on-air and online streaming, commercial free coverage of the Sony Press conference

Holy crap. That Resistance 2 video was great, but the Playstation presentation being presented through LittleBigPlanet was amazing! :drool:

Maybe. It's been on Steam for a long time, now.

Sure'nuff. Looks like it's been around since 2005... I had no idea it was out there already. So obviously it could very easily end up going multi-platform as well.

Still no Playstation Home Release Date

This Conference is uselesss and a waste so far

If they don't counter losing FF-XIII with anything substantial they'r going to lose alot of customers

Back