E3 2008 Videos and News

I enjoyed the LittleBigPlanet presentation, it was rather awesome... But I'm in the same boat Earth. I haven't been blown away yet. I'm still not sold on HOME (I know, some people are), and this new video thing they're touting isn't much different than what Microsoft already offers. I would be astounded if they offered a Netflix add-on eventually, but I don't know if they've got that locked up.

Still, Resistance 2 looks like quite a lot of fun. And although they're drumming Top Gear on GT5P, I was a bit disappointed they don't have a GT5 release date down yet. We'll see, I'm hoping for a lot more!

Ratchet & Clank was my favorite from this presentation.

If they don't counter losing FF-XIII with anything substantial they'r going to lose alot of customers

*ahem* They haven't lost FFXIII. The most units of FF will be sold in Japan anyway and the 360 doesn't have much of a base there. Sony is doing well enough that the few customers they may lose will not matter. So where will these customers go?

$15 to purchase a std def (480P I assume) movie? How does this compare to Live's pricing?

Not sure. I wonder if you can keep it longer than Live, though. I bought (or maybe rented, not sure) Superman Returns, and the next day, it disappeared.

You rent movies with live, you don't own them. Argument, I assume, is that the hard drive isn't big enough. It looks like the rental price of $4 (SD) and $6 (HD) seems competitive with Microsoft.

EDIT:

Thought before I leave for work...

This E3 has seemed like its been more about hardware than the games, and that kinda disappointment me. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up on what happened during my break!

You rent movies with live, you don't own them. Argument, I assume, is that the hard drive isn't big enough. It looks like the rental price of $4 (SD) and $6 (HD) seems competitive with Microsoft.

Ok, but the question for me then is will the PS3 allow me to keep the movie for more than 24 hours? I may have wanted to watch Superman Returns again (not really, just saying).

My understanding is that the $15 movies are yours on your HDD and you can port them out to your PSP (and PC?). Not too bad of a deal, but I'm not sure if they're HD or not. I caught the very end of the thing... But nevertheless, they don't disappear.

===

DC Universe Online! Huzzah!

For the one title they demo'd the only purchase (meaning non-rental) option was for a std definition version (once again assuming 480P).

The littlebigplanet presentation and the GTTV was the best part of the show. I'm just looking at what's to happen with these three here:

Gran Turismo
Tekken
Ace Combat "crosses fingers"
God of War

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not looking for any big things to happen, just something from those t\four. There were some noteworthy stuff though:

Resistance 2

I may change my mind, but I'm still stuck on what are in my mind the main four titles. BTW, my reaction about FFXIII on 360 = :rollseyes:. I could less about DMC4, GTAIV(Never liked that series actually), and FF. My reaction about AC6 on 360 on the other hand = :grumpy: While i remain optimistic that GOW is going nowwhere since its debveloped by Sony, if the others make the jump, this:mad: will turn to this:banghead: then full on destruction of my room.

80 GB PS3 for 399.99??!!!:drool: Yes!!!!!!! Finally they got the idea about the price! I better have it too!

ROADDOGG33J
*ahem* They haven't lost FFXIII. The most units of FF will be sold in Japan anyway and the 360 doesn't have much of a base there. Sony is doing well enough that the few customers they may lose will not matter. So where will these customers go?

And to make that more obvious, 360 Availability of it will only be on North America so its nothing special.

80 GB PS3 for 399.99??!!!:drool: Yes!!!!!!! Finally they got the idea about the price! I better have it too!

Careful. What I heard was "80GB hard drive in the current 40GB model's functionality". We still don't know for certain but it does sound like PS2 backwards compatibility is just about dead. If true it would also mean 2 less USB ports and no memory card reader slots.

Careful. What I heard was "80GB hard drive in the current 40GB model's functionality". We still don't know for certain but it does sound like PS2 backwards compatibility is just about dead. If true it would also mean 2 less USB ports and no memory card reader slots.

They get rid of backwards compatibility, I'm gonna be very upset. But seeing as supposedly the PS2 is on its 9th year, they'll **** up bad if they decide to get rid of it completely.

They just showed God of War III.....:eek:

Ok, but the question for me then is will the PS3 allow me to keep the movie for more than 24 hours? I may have wanted to watch Superman Returns again (not really, just saying).

It appears the answer is yes, although at $15 for a DVD quality download, I personally would want to just buy the DVD, or better yet pay about the same amount as the download for the Blu-ray version and enjoy it in 1080p with HD audio and all the extra features. 👍

The nice thing about downloads is that you don't have to wait to get them, and you'll never have to worry about losing them or physically damaging them.

However, the bad thing about downloads is they eat up HD space... they can take a long time to download without a high-speed connection... you can never sell them (legally) and recoup some of the cost down the road... you won't be able to use them on other players without taking along your console (although YSSMAN thinks you can port them out to your PSP and possibly a PC?)... you can't enjoy them on your laptop or car AV system while traveling... and you won't be able to lend them to your friends and family.

For several of these reasons it is unlikely (legal) downloading is going to match the success of physical media any time soon, especially true HD (1080p), which no one even offers (legally) as far as I am aware of. In fact, even the 480p and 720p legal movie downloads on XBL appear to be using lower bit rates and higher compression than on DVD in order to make the files easier and faster to download. :indiff:

Race, did you catch the GOWIII trailer? :sly:
I sure did and I'm stoked right now. Yet another best part of this show:)
From looking at it briefly, They've keeped his face consistant from GOW1 & 2, which is a relief.

MAG looked nice but it was just a CGI trailer

256 players online that's crazy.

but,

At least show Killzone 2 and Motorstorm 2

Worst press conference ever!!

E3 is not even half of what it use to be.

And thats an understatement. All 3 press conferences were terrible. Only real news was Xbox getting FFXIII.

They get rid of backwards compatibility, I'm gonna be very upset. But seeing as supposedly the PS2 is on its 9th year, they'll **** up bad if they decide to get rid of it completely.

Once again we don't know all the details yet, but the terms Jack chose leads me to believe that it'll just be the current 40GB model stuffed with a larger hard drive. Who knows, maybe to compensate they will put a 100GB drive in the current BC 80GB model. We'll just have to wait and see what's really going on with the various hardware models.

Nooooo!!!!!! No Tekken???!!!!! No Ace Combat??!!!!!!grrrrrrraaaaahhhhhhh!:mad:

What a horrible conference, Sony will get panned for this.

The only thing they mention with GT is something we've known about for several months now and has been out for several months. Gah! :grumpy:

MAG sounds good, just a pity they dont show any gameplay footage, just like almost every game in that conference. Sony's running on fumes here.

However, the bad thing about downloads is they eat up HD space...
Can we redownload for infinity like always? Freeing up HD space is easy then.

they can take a long time to download without a high-speed connection...
True.

you can never sell them and recoup some of the cost down the road...
You resell your DVDs, AND have that many? I have a feeling that for you and I this is not really an issue.

you won't be able to use them on other players without taking along your console...
By console you mean PSP?

you can't enjoy them on your laptop or car AV system while traveling...
PSP video out?

and you won't be able to lend them to your friends and family.
I want to see how tight the DRM is before I make that assumption.

I think that we will all get an answer to that tonight. I love that they announced it and then said, "Oh yeah, that is tonight, by the way."

MAG looked nice but it was just a CGI trailer

256 players online that's crazy.

Valid point, but come'on after hearing about the concept and seeing the trailer you've got to at least be impressed with the vision.

Valid point, but come'on after hearing about the concept and seeing the trailer you've got to at least be impressed with the vision.

I am impressed with the vision, just hope they execute the game right.

I'm wanting Battlefield 2 but with alot more players

Can we redownload for infinity like always? Freeing up HD space is easy then.

Good point... although that adds to the download times, but still, being able to delete and re-download content is not only a nice feature, but a must really for those with small HDD, or a lot of content, or who may need to restore content that was accidentally removed or corupted in any way.

You resell your DVDs, AND have that many? I have a feeling that for you and I this is not really an issue.

Guilty as charged... but I have been known to sell a few DVDs on eBay every once in a while. :)

By console you mean PSP?

No. I was speaking in general terms, because only the PSN Movie download service supports PSP. However, as I noted, at least it appears the PSN service will offer the opportunity to take your movies with you... assuming you have a PSP though, which I do not. I do travel a lot, and so I use my DVDs a lot for traveling, especially when we travel with the kids. 👍

I think that we will all get an answer to that tonight. I love that they announced it and then said, "Oh yeah, that is tonight, by the way."

Quite true. That's something Apple is famous for, and by doing so helps limit all the fanboy hype and troll rants to a certain degree.

Worst press conference ever!!

E3 is not even half of what it use to be.

And thats an understatement. All 3 press conferences were terrible. Only real news was Xbox getting FFXIII.

First of all, the conference isn't even over yet, only the official console presentations. Second of all, unless you re willing to actually explain in detail what makes you say it is half of what it used to be that would even for a moment allow us to take you seriously, especially when you say it's an understatement... and curiously your main gripe before E3 was that you said quite clearly that big developers like Square-Enix don't even bother showing their big games like Final Fantasy XIII there anymore...

It's hard for me to get REAL excited about E3 anymore, it's just a shell of what it use to be, and because of that big developers like Square-Enix don't even bother showing their big games like Final Fantasy XIII there anymore.

Well guess what, you couldn't have been more wrong.

I get it, you are quite clearly a massive FF fan and you have already done a tremendous job expressing how very angry you are that they are going to release a version of FFXIII for the 360, but there has already been a huge amount of news and demos at E3 that have nothing to do with FF... Although maybe that's what irritates you so much. I don't know, but I can't imagine that getting so worked up over an announcemnt about a game based on very little additional information, is doing anything to put you in a better mood.

Oh well. Other than the stale personalities of many of the presenters, so far I have been impressed with the Microsoft and Sony presentations, as well as some of the news that's been coming out of E3 from 3rd party developers... and yes, even the big developers you claimed no longer participate in E3.

Back