Investment and/or Personal Finance

A monumental drop in the stock market is predicted by an outlier analyst for later this week. BS or truth, we'll know soon.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/26/leh...i-takada-warns-it-could-happen-in-a-week.html

giphy.gif

I wish I better understood the mechanics of monetary policy.

How much of the "recovery" has really been Fed stimulus and speculation? Interest rates have been so low for so long that it seems like an almost artificial environment. What will happen if we go into a recession and interest rates are already at zero or near zero? What will the Federal government's (and Federal Reserve's) response be to an economic crisis? What tools will be used? What kind of future, and what role will banks play if a prolonged zero/negative interest rate period unfolds? Is this interest rate paradox a momentary glitch in the system, or are we looking at a future of inverted borrowing costs? How can that possibly be sustainable?

Everything is weird right now.

Everything you see right now is because Economies around the world Kicked the can down the road after 2008 rather then solve the issue.

This huge economic gain has been fueled by record low interest rates which just increases Borrowing as people can now borrow more money for cheaper, none(well Most) of it is real growth it's credit growth, and we are getting to the limit of what our currencies can handle.

I think a Currency Change is on the Horizon for many Economies.

Ah good old money and the economy. Another thing humanity created and can't control...

Ah good old money and the economy. Another thing humanity created and can't control...
I'll give humanity credit for fire, the hammer, axe, animal domestication and maybe the wheel and agriculture. Advanced stuff like Kingship, money, laws and civilization were brought about by the genius of the few, advanced elites who descended upon places like Gobekli Tepe and established training camps for us rock apes. :lol:

Money and economics springs up naturally out of trade. It wasn't thought up and implemented, it occurred organically.

Some people had to sit around and figure out how to "organize" it right?

You mean like communism?

If you're talking about the federal reserve, I guess you could call it "organizing". Certainly humanity straight up created various forms of fiat currency, like the US dollar. So if that's what you've got in mind then I understand you better. But the underpinnings... money, economics, that was already in place.

Personal Finance huh...

hmmm... let me use this GIF to illustrate my current situation...

RevolvingGlumCranefly-size_restricted.gif
Wiped out in the big crash!

In times of great distress, people wishing to survive and feed their families will resort to extreme measures. Crime, migration, suffering humiliating jobs, accepting government assistance, etc. It's all understandable and forgivable. However, some things are forbidden by the law of karma.

So what are some investments or industries that are more recession proof? I read that ETFs for utilities and consumer staples (necessities) are a good choice. I guess what can be done if a recession is expected?

So what are some investments or industries that are more recession proof? I read that ETFs for utilities and consumer staples (necessities) are a good choice. I guess what can be done if a recession is expected?

If inflation is expected, I like @Danoff 's idea of debt in the form of mortgage. It's kind of like shorting the recession....borrow now and reap the immediate rewards (an appreciating, inflation-proof asset, *probably*) and then pay it back with less valuable money later. If inflation is higher than the interest rate...you *make* money from borrowing money, disregarding the money you'll make via appreciation. And you get a place to live! Buying unimproved land is probably the safest way to do this, but if you happen to need a house (I need a house) than it seems like probably the best move to make.

I think recessions are less about what is recession-proof and more about what good deals you can get in the depths of it for the recovery. (See mortgage above).

Another good investment during a downturn might be more education, depending on how much value you put in that. Even intrinsic value aside, if you can pay $40k (for instance) one time for an asset that pays $100k/year (ur educated brain) for the rest of your life (optimistically)...that's a pretty damn solid return.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert or professional, let me make that clear. That said, IMHO safety is your first concern. Investments that are leveraged on the hope of growth paying off debt are of grave concern. Late payments, loan calls and credit tightening can be expected.

If inflation is expected, I like @Danoff 's idea of debt in the form of mortgage. It's kind of like shorting the recession....borrow now and reap the immediate rewards (an appreciating, inflation-proof asset, *probably*) and then pay it back with less valuable money later. If inflation is higher than the interest rate...you *make* money from borrowing money, disregarding the money you'll make via appreciation. And you get a place to live! Buying unimproved land is probably the safest way to do this, but if you happen to need a house (I need a house) than it seems like probably the best move to make.

I think recessions are less about what is recession-proof and more about what good deals you can get in the depths of it for the recovery. (See mortgage above).

Another good investment during a downturn might be more education, depending on how much value you put in that. Even intrinsic value aside, if you can pay $40k (for instance) one time for an asset that pays $100k/year (ur educated brain) for the rest of your life (optimistically)...that's a pretty damn solid return.

It's a great time to borrow, fantastic, probably one of the best. Interest rates are low, and inflation seems to loom. Borrow money now at a cheap rate and pay it back with dollars worth less in the future. No question it's a great borrowing opportunity.

The tough part is what to buy. San Francisco housing could probably give up 10% or more (I have no idea, I don't live there are watch it, I'm mostly basing that on what I know has been a long run-up). My house in LA dropped $200k from where I bought it during the last bubble. I don't think that we're headed for another 2008 in housing. That situation was insane. People were forging mortgage applications left and right, they were buying places with 5 year ARM mortgages with zero down (or negative interest), and expected to make hundreds of thousands of equity in a few short years and do it again. Some people did, and laddered through 6 or 7 properties, and they were crapping their pants when the rates jumped, prices dropped, and their ARMs broke loose.

That kind of insanity is not what I see right now. I see a lot of people who are wary of housing. And that makes me think there is no way it could be as bad as it was. The behavior I saw in 2007 and the years leading up to it was bonkers, there-is-no-way-this-is-real, something-has-to-give, how can this be happening type behavior. Today seems absolutely tame by comparison, and people have fresh memories of that time keeping them from over-doing it.

I think we could see a drop in housing prices, but I seriously doubt that it goes south hard like it did. But what do I know? I lost $200k in real estate once already.

For a recession, optimally you have cash and area ready to buy when the stock market drops. But for right now, with inflation looming, I'm not sure cash is a great idea. This is a tighter spot than recessions might normally be.

Last edited:
It's a great time to borrow, fantastic, probably one of the best. Interest rates are low, and inflation seems to loom. Borrow money now at a cheap rate and pay it back with dollars worth less in the future. No question it's a great borrowing opportunity.

The tough part is what to buy. San Francisco housing could probably give up 10% or more (I have no idea, I don't live there are watch it, I'm mostly basing that on what I know has been a long run-up). My house in LA dropped $200k from where I bought it during the last bubble. I don't think that we're headed for another 2008 in housing. That situation was insane. People were forging mortgage applications left and right, they were buying places with 5 year ARM mortgages with zero down (or negative interest), and expected to make hundreds of thousands of equity in a few short years and do it again. Some people did, and laddered through 6 or 7 properties, and they were crapping their pants when the rates jumped, prices dropped, and their ARMs broke loose.

That kind of insanity is not what I see right now. I see a lot of people who are wary of housing. And that makes me think there is no way it could be as bad as it was. The behavior I saw in 2007 and the years leading up to it was bonkers, there-is-no-way-this-is-real, something-has-to-give, how can this be happening type behavior. Today seems absolutely tame by comparison, and people have fresh memories of that time keeping them from over-doing it.

I think we could see a drop in housing prices, but I seriously doubt that it goes south hard like it did. But what do I know? I lost $200k in real estate once already.

For a recession, optimally you have cash and area ready to buy when the stock market drops. But for right now, with inflation looming, I'm not sure cash is a great idea. This is a tighter spot than recessions might normally be.

Based on my obversvations of home price history on Zillow (not comprehensive, of course) it appears that many homes in the Bay Area peaked around 2007 and then dropped like a good 35-60% (!!) during the recession. They peaked again towards the middle of 2018 at around 10% higher than the pre-recession peaks (call it a 100% or more increase over recession lows) and have tapered or dropped slightly since then. If the pre-recession prices are understood to be caused by a speculative bubble, and the economic landscape of the Bay Area hasn't changed drastically (tech and high-pay was here before, during, and after the Financial Crisis) and population growth has only been about 3%....it seems to me prices are too high. Probably not 50% too high, but I don't think 25% is too much of an overestimate, for the Bay Area.

Note: I think foreign investment (there are a lot of empty condos around), investors buying up supply during the recession for rentals, and short-term rental conversions have really cut into the supply. The lack of buildable land, the fierce opposition to development (NIMBY), absurd labor rates ('shop electricians charge $75/hr!!!) and extensive entitlements processes have also hurt the ability of the system to provide adequate supply. Basically there is a long host of issues why Bay Area housing prices are through the roof, and I think it's compounded by a fair amount of speculation.

Hope #1 is that a lot of folks that have been here a long time and are property owners, are seeing a recession on the Horizon and see a closing window for them to cash out on their properties to fund their retirement. Marin county, especially has a very high proportion of seniors (25% of residents are 65+) and they all own property. The big issue with that theory is that Marin county is pretty much already an ideal retirement location (near-perfect weather, good communities, great landscape, outdoor activities, etc) and seniors who own already probably can do so at relatively little expensive because they likely bought years, if not decades ago.

Hope #2 is that existing investment property owners (institutional or otherwise) are going to be fearful of missing the opportunity to cash in those 100%+ returns they achieved when they bought during the recession and will do whatever they can to sell before a housing market downturn materializes. If enough of them do that simultaneously, it will suppress prices to a more reasonable level.

So my plan is to just save and diversify as much as I can now so that I can be well positioned to mobilize in the event of a downturn. The last thing I want to do is buy now (relenting to fear that prices will keep going up) and then watch my equity tank in 2-3 years while possibly also losing my job. The risk, of course, is that prices do keep going up (I don't honestly think they can go much higher, a 500SF condo costs $500k in so-so locations, for God's sake) and well and truly miss my chance. In that case, I will likely leave SF - this damn pressure cooker. So pretty though.

I wish I had been cognisant of what was happening during the 04-07 housing boom. I mean I was like 15 years old, so I'll give myself a pass, but I'd like to think I would have seen the bust coming if I was my current age back then. Imagine going in in 2010 and buying up all these 500-1000sf condos in San Francisco for like $150-200k. You could have made an absolute killing either as rentals or as longer-term holdings.

Do you think we are headed to a period of 1970s-style stagflation? That would be a real big bummer. The government has so much debt...they're gonna have to print money to pay it off or raise taxes...not something i would expect most presidents to do, let alone Trump. If they do that during a recession...**** that is gonna suck.

Last edited:
People in Australia are waking up to the Negative interest rate policy that looks to be coming, forcing cash bans so you can't avoid paying the bank to hold your money: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08...nk-to-hold-your-money-what-imf-wants/11443646

Based on my obversvations of home price history on Zillow (not comprehensive, of course) it appears that many homes in the Bay Area peaked around 2007 and then dropped like a good 35-60% (!!) during the recession. They peaked again towards the middle of 2018 at around 10% higher than the pre-recession peaks (call it a 100% or more increase over recession lows) and have tapered or dropped slightly since then. If the pre-recession prices are understood to be caused by a speculative bubble, and the economic landscape of the Bay Area hasn't changed drastically (tech and high-pay was here before, during, and after the Financial Crisis) and population growth has only been about 3%....it seems to me prices are too high. Probably not 50% too high, but I don't think 25% is too much of an overestimate, for the Bay Area.

Note: I think foreign investment (there are a lot of empty condos around), investors buying up supply during the recession for rentals, and short-term rental conversions have really cut into the supply. The lack of buildable land, the fierce opposition to development (NIMBY), absurd labor rates ('shop electricians charge $75/hr!!!) and extensive entitlements processes have also hurt the ability of the system to provide adequate supply. Basically there is a long host of issues why Bay Area housing prices are through the roof, and I think it's compounded by a fair amount of speculation.

Hope #1 is that a lot of folks that have been here a long time and are property owners, are seeing a recession on the Horizon and see a closing window for them to cash out on their properties to fund their retirement. Marin county, especially has a very high proportion of seniors (25% of residents are 65+) and they all own property. The big issue with that theory is that Marin county is pretty much already an ideal retirement location (near-perfect weather, good communities, great landscape, outdoor activities, etc) and seniors who own already probably can do so at relatively little expensive because they likely bought years, if not decades ago.

Hope #2 is that existing investment property owners (institutional or otherwise) are going to be fearful of missing the opportunity to cash in those 100%+ returns they achieved when they bought during the recession and will do whatever they can to sell before a housing market downturn materializes. If enough of them do that simultaneously, it will suppress prices to a more reasonable level.

So my plan is to just save and diversify as much as I can now so that I can be well positioned to mobilize in the event of a downturn. The last thing I want to do is buy now (relenting to fear that prices will keep going up) and then watch my equity tank in 2-3 years while possibly also losing my job. The risk, of course, is that prices do keep going up (I don't honestly think they can go much higher, a 500SF condo costs $500k in so-so locations, for God's sake) and well and truly miss my chance. In that case, I will likely leave SF - this damn pressure cooker. So pretty though.

I wish I had been cognisant of what was happening during the 04-07 housing boom. I mean I was like 15 years old, so I'll give myself a pass, but I'd like to think I would have seen the bust coming if I was my current age back then. Imagine going in in 2010 and buying up all these 500-1000sf condos in San Francisco for like $150-200k. You could have made an absolute killing either as rentals or as longer-term holdings.

Do you think we are headed to a period of 1970s-style stagflation? That would be a real big bummer. The government has so much debt...they're gonna have to print money to pay it off or raise taxes...not something i would expect most presidents to do, let alone Trump. If they do that during a recession...**** that is gonna suck.
You have to look at the route of the problem, Sure the bay area is one of the best areas in America for high paying jobs especially in the tech industry but I can assure you the vast majority of that property price growth is due to credit growth and not wages.

Now say we have the Recession and then new banking regulations kick in, that limit Loans without a sizeable deposit. You can't realistically expect this nonsense growth you have seen in the past to happen again without a system that loosens back to what it was.

Last edited:
Cash bans so that negative interest rates can be sustained is a new level of horror.
The IMF has Economists who are openly in favour of this(sources are even in that link) and many countries have already implemented their strategies, France right now has a 1000 Euro cash Limit, this is well advanced.

Following the tech crash at the end of the '90's & then the shock of 911, the US government goosed the economy by tax cuts, record low interest rates & deficit spending. The economy came roaring back in the next few years ... & then crashed spectacularly in 2008.

I see parallels with the scenario now: the economy gradually strengthened under the Obama administration, again fuelled by low interest rates & deficit spending. The economy continued to grow under Trump, but instead of leaving well-enough alone & attempting to pay down the national debt, Trump has insisted on further goosing the economy with huge tax cuts again fuelled by deficit spending. In addition, he has pressured the Fed to reduce interest rates. All this in pursuit of unrealistic & unsustainable growth rates that are intended to show what a great President he is. Throw into the mix highly disruptive obstacles to international trade & you've got a recipe for disaster. This is not going to end well ...

Following the tech crash at the end of the '90's & then the shock of 911, the US government goosed the economy by tax cuts, record low interest rates & deficit spending. The economy came roaring back in the next few years ... & then crashed spectacularly in 2008.

I see parallels with the scenario now: the economy gradually strengthened under the Obama administration, again fuelled by low interest rates & deficit spending. The economy continued to grow under Trump, but instead of leaving well-enough alone & attempting to pay down the national debt, Trump has insisted on further goosing the economy with huge tax cuts again fuelled by deficit spending. In addition, he has pressured the Fed to reduce interest rates. All this in pursuit of unrealistic & unsustainable growth rates that are intended to show what a great President he is. Throw into the mix highly disruptive obstacles to international trade & you've got a recipe for disaster. This is not going to end well ...

I've read a theory that the economy never really properly recovered from the mid 1980s recession and that monetary policy has created nonstop boom-bust sequences which the fed stimulates its way out of via interest rate cuts. Take a look at the federal funds rate since the 1980s. Notice that its just been marching down to nothing...not quite reaching its previous pre-recession highs? Doesn't look like there is much else left...

2EOOz2f.jpg

I think we're in for some serious money printing folks.

Consumer sentiment has taken a sizeable dive in August. [Original Source]

Overall buying attitudes toward appliances, home electronics and other household durables fell to their lowest level in five years, with net price references more negative than anytime since June 2008.”

Can someone explain what "net price references more negative" means?

Also, it looks like Trump may have been bluffing when he tweeted about Chinese trade engagement last week in order to boost markets. The fact that it's not unreasonable to assume the President of the United States would mislead all Americans like this is pretty damn sad.

I've read a theory that the economy never really properly recovered from the mid 1980s recession and that monetary policy has created nonstop boom-bust sequences which the fed stimulates its way out of via interest rate cuts. Take a look at the federal funds rate since the 1980s. Notice that its just been marching down to nothing...not quite reaching its previous pre-recession highs? Doesn't look like there is much else left...

2EOOz2f.jpg

I think we're in for some serious money printing folks.

While extremely low interest rates are bad (and negative interest rates), so are super high positive interest rates. Think of an interest rate as the amount of opportunity value of money. In other words, the value that it brings by being present. A super high interest rate says that just having money creates extreme value, that scarcity of money is causing lots of people who could otherwise generate value to be unable to do so. Injecting just a little bit of capital gets gobbled up to create real production. In other words, the economy is starved for capital and is under-performing as a result.

Extremely low or negative interest rates send the other signal. The economy is flush with credit, so much so that it struggles to find a use for it. When interest rates are zero, it's like saying "yea there's nothing you could do with that cash to make money". Negative interest rates are like saying "dude anything you spend that on is going to be a waste".

The federal reserve has been trying to keep rates low (since the 80s apparently) in order to keep from having to pay on the huge national debt. This slows economic growth because it spurs malinvestment. There is so much credit floating around that the expected return on it is nearly zero (meaning a lot of investments are losing money). Running a deficit is a drain on the US economy even if you never pay off the debt, and eventually we won't be able to sustain insanely low interest rates (people will stop buying it), and we'll have to inflate the money pool or go into a debt spiral.

Can someone explain what "net price references more negative" means?

I'm guessing that it means the cost of goods is dropping.

Negative Interest rates can't work without a Cash ban, and the only way they can do a Cash ban is if they fool the public into thinking it's for money laundering reasons because if they say the truth it will never pass.

Back