Investment and/or Personal Finance

NY Fed to pump $75bn into money markets daily through October 10

I mean...isn't that like....a lot of money? Like....$1.5T a lot? How is this not a huge deal? Can somebody explain to me why this is happening?

https://www.newyorkfed.org/markets/...y-implementation/repo-reverse-repo-agreements

I think that it's temporary. These are short term loans, which are then paid back (at least that's my understanding). So I don't think that you can add up the days and say that the money is just out there.

But this is way into the federal reserve weeds for me.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/repurchaseagreement.asp

Edit:

So US treasury bonds flooded the market at the same quarterly taxes were due. So bonds rushed in and cash rushed out, creating a temporary spike in short term interest rates for repos. The government is flooding the repo market with cash (what they got from taxes probably) to keep that rate down. In theory, it should be a manageable strategy.

Last edited:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4292953-repo-problem-deeper-fed-admits

Article implies that the banks are using the overnight repo of the federal reserve as a way to meet reserve requirements. In other words, the banks are supposed to hold more cash in order to be more robust and are using the federal reserve to accomplish that, thus negating the point of having banks hold reserve cash. The article strongly insinuates a disaster is eminent.

Soo many zombie banks world wide at the moment.

The implosion is going to break the system, or currency.

Are we in for a liquidity crisis?
At this time, the Fed and the financial markets do want want us to discuss these issues while they engaged in making sausage and tripe is all over the floor. Rather they would have us discuss British Supreme Courts, impeachment and fantasy football.

SELL!!!!!

Last edited:
Some more articles on the subject of the overnight operations and their implications:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4293220-treasury-bond-backwardation

https://monetary-metals.com/when-gold-backwardation-becomes-permanent/

Both are somewhat alarmist, and the ladder definitely has skin in the game (look at the website name :lol:) but they raise some troubling points.

To understand this, we need to look at the macroeconomic environment. The interest rate has been falling for about 40 years. This is so long that few in finance or economics today were working back when rates were rising. Falling rates is presumed to be normal.

Normal or not, it puts growing pressure on the profit margins of every enterprise, including banks. When the interest rate was 10 percent, a bank could make a wide spread between what it pays to borrow and what it earns to lend. But this spread narrows as the rate falls. So, banks have two responses.

One is to increase their leverage. Suppose a bank takes in $1,000,000 in deposits. If it lends $900,000 (or buys $900,000 assets), then it keeps $100,000 in cash. If the bank is paying 6 percent on average for its deposits, then its cost is $60,000. If it is lending at 10 percent, then it is making $90,000 on the part it lends out (and to keep it simple, assume nothing on the part it keeps). The difference between the two is the bank's gross margin, or $30,000.

But if the interest rate falls, and the bank is paying 0.75% and lending at 2%, the math changes. Its cost would be $7,500 and its revenues $20,000. So, its gross is now $12,500. Let's assume that the bank employs the same number of people, and pays rent on the same square footage of retail bank branches to raise deposits as it did (the cost of compliance is actually much higher today). The bank has a big shortfall to somehow make up.

So, the bank may be tempted not to lend just $900,000 but, say, $990,000. By lending that additional $90,000, it adds $1,800 revenues. So, it is up to $14,300. Better, but still inadequate.

The other trick is to lend for longer duration. The interest rate is normally higher on long bonds than it is on short-term bills (though we have had some inversion in recent months). Suppose the 30-year bond yield were 3.25% (it's actually a point less right now). On $990,000, the bank earns a gross of $32,175, or a net margin of $24,675. That looks better, doesn't it?

Of course, there are macroeconomic problems when a bank lends a higher percentage of deposits. The borrowers spend those dollars, and in an irredeemable currency system, there is no way to hold a dollar outside the banking system (even the paper bank note funds the Fed, which funds the banks and the government). The recipients of those spent dollars deposit them in a bank. Which lends 99%. And so on. The quantity of what people call money goes up quite rapidly.

There are also risks to the bank itself. Depositors have the right to withdraw deposits, but the bank does not have the right to call its loans. So, if depositors want to withdraw cash, the bank may not have enough on hand. Then, it must sell assets and take losses, even in a good market. And in times of crisis, these losses are much greater.

And there will be a crisis, because the other banks are in the same situation. All attempt to sell assets, with few (or no) buyers, desperately raising cash to satisfy their creditors who are withdrawing cash and not willing to roll their credit.

I can imagine a scenario in which:
The stock market suffers a severe loss (due to some shock, or cascading effect of trade wars and other chaos)
Trump issues an executive order to bring the fed under his direct control
Trump pushes the interest rate to zero, or even below zero
There is a mass exodus of cash from banks, causing banks to fail and people to lose savings, prompting massive FDIC payouts necessitating currency printing
Cash becomes, on the whole, worthless.
...I don't know what happens next. Chaos, mostly.

I don't think gold is necessarily the safe haven, in this scenario. I don't know if there is one. Perhaps real estate and long term debt on real estate. Regardless of how things go down, I think the plunging interest rates are a death knell for currency as we know it. I'm guessing Japan will be the model for how things disintegrate.

Japan is the best case scenario but I don't see it, when their bubble burst it wasn't as bad as it could be since the vast majority of goods sold in Japan where made in Japan, they also had an Exceptional Trade surplus, so their problems became very isolated to Japan itself, If America fails it will drag basically everything down with it as it has its hands in everything everywhere.

Not only that but as far as I see it nearly all the world Leading economies are on the edge of the cliff holding hands with one ready to jump and take them all with it, this is certainly vastly different to 2008 and tbh even 1929, this is completely uncharted territory here where modern monetary policy seems to all be aligning to the end game sceniaro.

Gold(and all metals) are an excellent investment especially in physical form at this stage and basically anything tangible will be that isn't a fiat based currency as far as I see it.

Consistent demand goods such as Food will probably be lucrative if it gets really bad.

Last edited:
A shocking new survey finds most Americans are completely unprepared for the next recession.

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-...cans-are-completely-unprepared-next-recession

Just like in 2008, most Americans are living right on the edge financially, and so any sort of an economic downturn is going to be extremely painful for tens of millions of American families. When you have not built up a financial cushion, any sort of a setback can be absolutely disastrous. During the last recession, millions of Americans suddenly lost their jobs, and because most of them were living paycheck to paycheck a lot of them suddenly couldn’t pay their mortgages. In the end, millions of Americans lost their homes during the “subprime mortgage meltdown”, and today the housing bubble is even larger than it was back then. Sadly, the reality of the matter is that many of us are just barely scraping by from month to month, and that is a very dangerous position to be in.

A shocking new survey finds most Americans are completely unprepared for the next recession.

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-...cans-are-completely-unprepared-next-recession

Doesn't seem very shocking.

Allow me to monger a bit more Repo Fear.

According to the Bank for International Settlements, outstanding collateralised loan obligations are split with approximately $1.2 trillion in US dollars, and $200bn equivalent in euros[vi]. The dollar exposure accounts for half of all leveraged loans in the US financial system, so the total size of the US leveraged loan market is more like $2.4 trillion, which compares with the book value of total equity capital for commercial banks in the US of $1.95 trillion. While direct bank exposure to CLOs is estimated at only $250bn, they are bound to have the lion's share of the rest of the leveraged loan market, giving them a total exposure of up to $1.5 trillion without indirect exposure being taken into account. Most of American banks' equity capital is therefor at risk.

Collateralised or not, leveraged loans are bank loans to highly indebted corporations with high interest servicing costs barely covered by earnings, and mostly rated at less than investment grade. In an economic downturn these are the businesses that are the first to fail, and underlying asset quality is already reported by the BIS to be deteriorating. Furthermore, as global interest rates and bond yields have fallen towards and into negative territory, the demand for higher yielding CLOs has increased and the underlying quality decreased. The debt to earnings ratio of leveraged borrowers securitised in CLOs has risen and CLOs without maintenance covenants have grown from 20% in 2012 to 80% in 2018.

Consider, for a moment, the position of a typical large US bank and the changing commercial motivations of its directors. Following the Lehman crisis, lending margins to non-financial corporations never really compensated for the risk of extending credit to anything other than large corporations and consumers prepared to pay credit card rates of interest. As the economy gradually recovered, loans to investment grade borrowers increased. Along with higher yields and with a AAA rating attached, lending to sub-investment grade borrowers became increasingly available through CLOs. Once the CLO ice was broken, even better yields were available by lending directly to sub-investment grade borrowers, the key being improving economic prospects underpinning the borrowers' earnings. Furthermore, the bank's competitors were also allocating increasing amounts of credit towards borrowers of this sort, so it is nearly impossible for our typical large bank not to follow them.

So far, all lending will appear to conform to the bank's lending risk criteria, assuming of course that economic prospects are improving. The moment that stops, the directors of the bank will feel exposed and try to contain, then reduce their exposure to loan risk. In this respect, the change in the Fed's interest rate policy is the clearest signal of an economic slowdown and rings the bell on the soundness of lending assumptions. This also includes considerations of systemic risk, in other words the risk of lending money to other banks and financial institutions deemed to be exposed to both CLOs and other leveraged loans.

As with all humanity, the rapid transposition from greed to fear afflicts bankers as well. If anything, given their tight group-thinking it is especially acute, turning on a dime. The expectation that the Fed was going to cut its Fed Funds Rate could act as a catalyst for fear, instead of laying concerns to rest over lending margin prospects. And bankers have good reason to be extremely concerned when they cast their attention towards geopolitics, the global and domestic economic outlook, and the growing threat of negative interest rates. And here, the news is not encouraging.

tl;dr

Banks are beginning to be fear exposure to systemic risk, and therefore are less inclined to lend money to other banks. Hence the overnight lending interest rate spike. Also Deutsche Bank may collapse by the end of November. Maybe.

Last edited:
Australian Reserve Bank cut Interest rates to 0.75% today.

Quite funny how I saw this on my Google news feed, denial is strong with our media.
Screenshot_20191001-173441.png

This guy has a pretty good library of basic economics and economic history videos. Nothing too controversial, and pretty high level, but done in a way that is effective for lay persons (like me!)

This one he recently did on negative interest rates is worth a watch:

I honestly think a universal adoption of negative interest rates will destroy fiat currencies, if not the global economy itself.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/o...t-is-sitting-on-a-record-cash-pile-2019-10-15
https://www.advisorperspectives.com...dated-look-at-the-buffett-valuation-indicator
https://global-macro-monitor.com/2019/10/14/how-far-can-the-stock-market-run/

This story came out that Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway has been sitting at a record level of cash. It links it to a Buffett quote that the market cap vs GDP indicator "is probably the best single measure of where valuations stand at any given moment." And well...turns out that if you use the indicator we are on the high side. Brace yourselves, winter is coming.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/o...t-is-sitting-on-a-record-cash-pile-2019-10-15
https://www.advisorperspectives.com...dated-look-at-the-buffett-valuation-indicator
https://global-macro-monitor.com/2019/10/14/how-far-can-the-stock-market-run/

This story came out that Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway has been sitting at a record level of cash. It links it to a Buffett quote that the market cap vs GDP indicator "is probably the best single measure of where valuations stand at any given moment." And well...turns out that if you use the indicator we are on the high side. Brace yourselves, winter is coming.

Interesting way to gauge valuations. I'd really like to see an additional trendline on that graph, just for fun: Corporate stock buy backs, in dollars. I'd be really curious to see correlations.

This guy is pretty much a permabear on real estate, but his investigations are deep.

tl;dw:

-Housing crisis caused enormous price deflation and foreclosures skyrocketed
-To stop the prices from crashing further, lenders did not list many/most foreclosed properties for sale, especially expensive ones.
-When that didn't work, they simply stopped foreclosing on properties, regardless of delinquency. Some borrowers have not made mortgage payments in 5+ years. There's evidence some borrowers have actually never made a mortgage payment.

Last edited:
This guy is pretty much a permabear on real estate, but his investigations are deep.

tl;dw:

-Housing crisis caused enormous price deflation and foreclosures skyrocketed
-To stop the prices from crashing further, lenders did not list many/most foreclosed properties for sale, especially expensive ones.
-When that didn't work, they simply stopped foreclosing on properties, regardless of delinquency. Some borrowers have not made mortgage payments in 5+ years. There's evidence some borrowers have actually never made a mortgage payment.

Alot of that is on the Wikipedia article of the housing crisis, it makes sense though as home loans would be the majority of banks income, so they would feel the responsibility to not allow a housing crash hit the real low by demanding Mass foreclosures as long as they can afford it, to protect their assets.

Alot of that is on the Wikipedia article of the housing crisis, it makes sense though as home loans would be the majority of banks income, so they would feel the responsibility to not allow a housing crash hit the real low by demanding Mass foreclosures as long as they can afford it, to protect their assets.

It makes sense in the short term. Eventually though, if you're in the business of making money from lending money, and you aren't making money from lending money....something's gotta give, right? I'm sure they figured they could kick the can down the road, maybe unwind their foreclosures gradually...but I think that relies on a steady and long road of economic growth. That may not continue much longer.

It makes sense in the short term. Eventually though, if you're in the business of making money from lending money, and you aren't making money from lending money....something's gotta give, right? I'm sure they figured they could kick the can down the road, maybe unwind their foreclosures gradually...but I think that relies on a steady and long road of economic growth. That may not continue much longer.
There has been a lot of kicking the can down the road, not solving the real issues for along time even before 2008, which is why I think those that think the next recession is going to be a smaller one then 2008 are incredibly short sighted when you look at the data.

Although unlike in 2008 there is a mainstream acceptance that a recession is going to happen which likely comes down to the fact there are no tools to prevent the full effects of a future recession unlike in 2008 when interest rates world wide where slashed and with massive money printing to stimulate the dying industries, this time there is next to no interest rates left to cut and the amount of stimulus required to bail out those failing industries will put too much stress on the currencies to maintain any resemblance of value.

1929 is the benchmark of economic failures and while I think from an economic standpoint this one could be worse I doubt the living conditions will ever get as bad due to modern technology alot of which helps us make life alot easier, I don't think I can picture what the reality will be.

Last edited:
It's anecdotal and highly region specific...but in some of the areas around San Francisco with less intrinsic value (as in, places people don't really want to live, but areas that have nonetheless risen with the rest of the region) I'm seeing a lot of price trends on properties that look like this:

noXr5Nv.jpg

A lot of properties have already lost a ton of value and are sitting on the market for months. This flat out didn't happen from 2015-2018, where bidding wars were inflating asking prices 100% or more in some cases. San Francisco itself seems to remain steady, but I sense something happening on the periphery. I get the sense that the recession fears are going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Didn't see this but it's a sign of things to come: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...-worlds-first-negative-interest-rate-mortgage

What they won't tell you is by the time this is accepted in the mainstream, cash will be illegal and banks will be eating your money at a rate of 3-5% a year in negative interest.

Everything has a cost.

That said I think they will have to think long and hard on how to fool the public into a cash ban because the money laundering excuse has already been disproven by economist's, and their hand has already been shown so everyone is already skeptical.

Thinking of doing a put Option on some index funds in preparation for the recession, there is an element of risk I lose a little if it doesn't happen in a set amount of time but the potential gain if it does makes it very lucrative.

He will try for negative interest rates, if need be.
Doesn't that mean that you'd be owed money by the lender? That sounds absurd. But correct me if it's not as unusual as I imagine it to be.

Also, I really have enjoyed investing in $XAR. They've outperformed the market a few times, now. I'll admit I'm much more attracted to funds and ETFs rather than buying individual equities. And shorting/options seem too volatile. I had this idea, that anything that can make you rich real quick can also make you poor real quick.

Doesn't that mean that you'd be owed money by the lender? That sounds absurd. But correct me if it's not as unusual as I imagine it to be.

Also, I really have enjoyed investing in $XAR. They've outperformed the market a few times, now. I'll admit I'm much more attracted to funds and ETFs rather than buying individual equities. And shorting/options seem too volatile. I had this idea, that anything that can make you rich real quick can also make you poor real quick.
CFDs are the real danger.

Interesting comparison of housing prices in various metros now vs the pre-GFC housing bubble.

I find this comment (though not many others there) pretty insightful: (ZIPR = Zero Interest Rate Policy)

“seems like ZIRP/NIRP puts a floor (at least a pretty solid one) under real estate.”

Everything may be ok until rates are ever allowed to even twitch upwards towards truth -then you get a massive asset value/housing implosion (because the ZIRP inflated prices are utterly unaffordable under even slightly higher rates – because real salaries have stagnated or worse).

See the 2008-9 implosion – small hikes had started in 2006 (getting nowhere near historic norms) and within two years had triggered the implosion of trillions of ZIRP driven ******** loans.

And the Fall 2017-2018 hike of MTG rates from 4 to 5 caused a 15 pct fall in CA home sales (as a 2 to 3 hike in 10 yr Treasuries triggered a 20 pct collapse in stock values).

DC has steered the country into the Dead Zone.

Some day rates will have to increase because alternatives around the world will yield 2 to 3 times more in yield for comparable risk – draining true capital from the US.

The Fed will print more to make up the difference but more and more productive capacity/legit assets will exist outside the Dominion of the dollar (with its history of debauchery). China will have/has more productive capacity and a less fraudulent currency.

So all the Fed printing will yield is wildfire inflation. There is no free lunch and DC’s empire of ******** isn’t magic – it is just as*holery.

People like to point to absence of US inflation (ignoring many categories of prices…and the Fed confiscated price cuts – vilified as deflation
– that would have been the US consumer’s had the Fed not operated to defeat them)

It seems ZIRP has made the economy hyper sensitive to interest rate changes. God help us if we start to see inflation rising, and with commodity prices on the rise...that seems plausible.

Some think that inflation could directly impact the housing market do to increasing material costs.

So I could see something like this happening:

-US Dollar continues to weaken, pushing inflation up
-The US housing market hits a crescendo in the summer of 2020 with more expensive building materials and labor pushing up costs even further.
-While house prices are peaking, simultaneously that inflation causes the Fed to react by raising interest rates.
-Those already incredibly unaffordable homes now become simply impossibly overpriced (due to the more expensive mortgages) and sellers start to slash prices. Panic selling and a race to the bottom ensues.

Seems like it could happen.

I wish I could borrow now and buy later. Is there some instrument that would enable me to do that? Maybe I could buy $200k worth of unimproved land somewhere in a region with stable pricing (rural Texas?) and then sell it when things hit the fan?

Last edited:
Interesting comparison of housing prices in various metros now vs the pre-GFC housing bubble.

I find this comment (though not many others there) pretty insightful: (ZIPR = Zero Interest Rate Policy)

It seems ZIRP has made the economy hyper sensitive to interest rate changes. God help us if we start to see inflation rising, and with commodity prices on the rise...that seems plausible.

Some think that inflation could directly impact the housing market do to increasing material costs.

So I could see something like this happening:

-US Dollar continues to weaken, pushing inflation up
-The US housing market hits a crescendo in the summer of 2020 with more expensive building materials and labor pushing up costs even further.
-While house prices are peaking, simultaneously that inflation causes the Fed to react by raising interest rates.
-Those already incredibly unaffordable homes now become simply impossibly overpriced (due to the more expensive mortgages) and sellers start to slash prices. Panic selling and a race to the bottom ensues.

Seems like it could happen.

I wish I could borrow now and buy later. Is there some instrument that would enable me to do that? Maybe I could buy $200k worth of unimproved land somewhere in a region with stable pricing (rural Texas?) and then sell it when things hit the fan?
That would be basically gambling though, remember Inflation isn't assured it's only one of the options in a Collapse(If the Fed/Govt decides to protect the currency that strategy is exactly wrong as interest rates will climb fast).

You also need to look at the supply side, some areas are purposely restricted in Supply to keep house prices high but generally those areas are filled with investment owners who are the most likely to sell when price pressure pushes prices down so it can re open supply(something a Real estate Analysis on TV will never tell you) to make you believe some areas will never be cheap to pressure people into more loans(Happens here big time).

In a couple of months I will be going into another business venture, selling the restaurant I have worked for 10+ years. I have saved up about 70K+ and will be receiving about 200k in the sale. 170K will be going into a share of the new business and because I like to have a comfortable buffer I will be borrowing 50K from my parents. If the business fails I will have some capital to invest or finance a participation in a new business.

I am still very nervous leaving behind a steady income and workplace. I am planning to be frugal the first year and reducing my budget from 4k a month to 2500 a month with a wife and 2 kids.* A drastic change, but potentially will provide me with a six-figure yearly income and at the same time reduce my workweek from 60-80 hours to 50-60 hours.

Anyone like to share having had the same kind of experience? Taking a risk and transtitioning to a new business opportuinity?

edit: * I told my stay at home wife to look for a parttime job to help with the monthly budget and her personal expenses at least for the first year.

Last edited:
Back