Electric Resto-Mods / Classic Car Conversions - Yes or No?

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 36 comments

Electric Resto-Mods - What do you think?

• Brilliant

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Meh

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • The Devil's Work

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
United States
Marin County
Electrifying old cars can make a ton of sense, but it can also completely miss the point. Especially when you start talking about cars that originally sold with crappy automatic transmissions, like a lot of Toyota MR2s, or an NSX, or any car where the engine was a real maintenance nightmare and not worthwhile, or where the transmission was a big problem, could be excellent candidates. Basically cars where engine/transmission swaps seem like a good move.

Edit:

E46 M3 SMG

I think a transmission swap is more worthwhile in the case of the E46 M3 purely because the S54 is a gem of a motor. I think the perfect candidate would be something like an XJS V12. Beautiful car with a big lazy engine that doesn't tolerate neglect at all. An electric powertrain is perfect for the character of an XJS.

Danoff

Who is John Galt?
Premium
United States
Mile High City
I think a transmission swap is more worthwhile in the case of the E46 M3 purely because the S54 is a gem of a motor. I think the perfect candidate would be something like an XJS V12. Beautiful car with a big lazy engine that doesn't tolerate neglect at all. An electric powertrain is perfect for the character of an XJS.

There were enough manual E46 M3s that unless we're talking CSL, the manual conversion is perhaps not worthwhile. Meanwhile, it's a beautiful car that requires a ton of powertrain maintenance (not just the SMG). Selling the engine could finance part of the project, and SMGs are cheap (or they were a year ago, I haven't looked) even in immaculate condition.

Nessy

Premium
United Kingdom
UK
I think the perfect candidate would be something like an XJS V12. Beautiful car with a big lazy engine that doesn't tolerate neglect at all. An electric powertrain is perfect for the character of an XJS.
Funnily enough, i was thinking the same thing when i started this rough sketch/unfinished drawing, a few months ago.
I'd completely forgotten about it until i read your post above.

kikie

I'm here
Premium
Belgium
in the land of stupidity
In English

According to a Dutch reviewer from "Autoweek", you still have to shift gears and use a clutch with this resto mod.

Australia
The Bronx
Four cars I'd like to see: E30 318is, Corrado(G60 or SLC), Golf Rally and an A2 16V Jetta. I just love the boxy shapes of the era. With the Corrado, it's just so perfectly stubby.