Electric Resto-Mods / Classic Car Conversions - Yes or No?

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 47 comments

Electric Resto-Mods - What do you think?

• Brilliant

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Meh

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • The Devil's Work

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters

Scaff

United Kingdom
He/Him
ScaffUK
I've been seeing more and more Electric Reto-mods around, and when they are well done, as the example below is in my opinion, I happen to think they are stunning.

To me, they are a natural extension of the time old restoration and/or modification of classic cars, and keeping in mind that Hydrogen Fuel Cell conversions will (to remain close to clean) utterly neuter the performance of any ICE (by around 50%), they are a way of keeping these classics on the road, admittedly with the loss of the sound we associate with them.

So with that in mind, what do my fellow GTPers think of these, and what are the best examples you've seen around.

Alfa Giulia GT - 518 bhp resto-mod with over 200 miles range

foto_front.jpg

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/electrified-518bhp-restomodded-alfa-giulia-gt

https://www.totemautomobili.com/

https://www.esquire.com/uk/design/a33337663/vintage-cars-restomod/

Last edited:
Frankly I'm more bothered by the tacky visual modification to that Alfa than anything having to do with powertrain.

I dislike 99% of resto mods, but the concept of an electrified one i find intriguing. Just keep it looking as stand as possible, that's all i want.

I dislike 99% of resto mods, but the concept of an electrified one i find intriguing. Just keep it looking as stand as possible, that's all i want.
That why I wanted to include just straight-up electric conversions in the conversation, as while they are less common right now (as Resto is the money pit), I can see it being a growth industry in the near future, will be interesting see how much that also affects the classic racing scene as well.

I can see it being a growth industry in the near future, will be interesting see how much that also affects the classic racing scene as well.

This will dictated by future legislation i guess. If there is a ban on the sale of new ICE in say 10 years from now, what will be period of grace be for a total ban - or will the authorities allow a natural decline as cars reach their natural lifespans? Will classics* still be allowed but under a limited mileage scheme? How would a ban on ICE effect all motorsport? So many questions but so few answers for now.

*What will define a 'classic' if there is an allowance in place. Something over 20 or 30 years old? What would happen to a 2020 Bugatti Chiron in that case?

Last edited:
I have no issue with resto-mods, because they often solve issues of narrow tracks and lofty ride heights whilst giving the car modern interpretations of details such as lights and grilles. I also like electric propulsion as a concept and would love to try one.

An EV original Mini strikes me as a wonderful city car and putting one in an Audi A2 would be the icing on the cake for that forward-looking concept.

There's a classic Mini ute that was done well. Looks standard.
I remember someone mocking up [if I recall correctly] a DC motor onto the top of an Austin gearbox but I lost track of the project. I seem to recall it may have been for a Mini pickup.

Don't personally see what the issue is. If you don't like restomods at all that's one thing (certainly the lazy Chip Foose ones are something I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing another), but I see very little difference in just saying "Okay it's electric now" versus "Okay, we're going to take the entire 1950s/60s/70s drivetrain out and put a C4 suspension in it and a crate LS1" that every other restomod of the 00s seemed to do.

Last edited:
Frankly, I'd rather take an electric E-Type, Mini or any British sports car, knowing that I probably won't have to deal with the gremlins that come with maintenance that is prevalent with those types of vehicles, especially if it isn't going to be daily use and is going to sit in the garage and will be an occasional Sunday drive that also won't be taken out during the winter in most of continental Europe and North America.

Frankly, I'd rather take an electric E-Type, Mini or any British sports car, knowing that I probably won't have to deal with the gremlins that come with maintenance that is prevalent with those types of vehicles, especially if it isn't going to be daily use and is going to sit in the garage and will be an occasional Sunday drive that also won't be taken out during the winter in most of continental Europe and North America.
Good point. I didn't think of that. EV conversions would definitely encourage more of those with garage paperweights to put on some miles.

Last edited:
"Okay, we're going to take the entire 1950s/60s/70s drivetrain out and put a C4 suspension in it and a crate LS1" that every other restomod of the 00s seemed to do.

Usually attached to said LS1 (or ZZ383 if they're feeling spicy) is a 700R4 or 4L60E transmission, T-5 if lucky.

Usually attached to said LS1 (or ZZ383 if they're feeling spicy) is a 700R4 or 4L60E transmission, T-5 if lucky.

Just for ONCE I want to see somebody use one of these restomod vehicles as a daily driver. What's the point of spoiling its originality and updating everything to dead-reliable modern equipment if you only drive it 2 times a year to the town-center boomer car show? I've had the thought of getting something old, really old, and doing a light restomod (mostly just so that it works) and just using it as an everyday car. How often do you see pre 1960s cars running around? Almost never.

Last edited:
Just for ONCE I want to see somebody use one of these restomod vehicles as a daily driver. What's the point of spoiling its originality and updating everything to dead-reliable modern equipment if you only drive it 2 times a year to the town-center boomer car show? I've had the thought of getting something old, really old, and doing a light restomod (mostly just so that it works) and just using it as an everyday car. How often do you see pre 1960s cars running around? Almost never.
That's sort of the difference between restomod and show car. I'm aware of a few restomods that are fair weather drivers. They've been updated somewhat for performance and reliability but they're $50,000 cars rather than $250,000 cars.

Also, the problem with daily driving old cars, no matter the powertrain, is the somewhat perilous nature of daily driving. Everyone's experience is different, of course, but when your car is one of few, you tend to get a little asphalt shy.

That's sort of the difference between restomod and show car. I'm aware of a few restomods that are fair weather drivers. They've been updated somewhat for performance and reliability but they're $50,000 cars rather than $250,000 cars.

Also, the problem with daily driving old cars, no matter the powertrain, is the somewhat perilous nature of daily driving. Everyone's experience is different, of course, but when your car is one of few, you tend to get a little asphalt shy.
They might also be reliable as a somewhat modern car but safety wise they are death traps

Voted Brilliant, but have a more nuanced take. Some electrified old cars, like this Mustang...

...make no sense to me at all. The noise is part of the theatre. Whereas this Rolls Royce...

...makes a great deal of sense; a smoother, quieter version of a car that is supposed to be smooth and quiet.

My ideal electric restomod would be a SWB Series IIA or III Land Rover. Whilst bumbling around offroad down tracks through woodland is OK in the diesel Discovery I own, it always feels like something's not right... until I turn the engine off. Then you can hear the birds singing, and you're not choking on exhaust fumes that aren't being outrun at walking pace. To be able to have that whilst still moving would be wonderful.

Brilliant is my choice. Some resto-mods are beautiful cars, electrified or not. That Alfa looks gorgeous and I wouldn't mind having one, the electric version is this case. Even the interior is a place where I would like to be in as much as possible. :D

Ehhhhh. They didn't have to do that to the front. I know the opening becomes beyond pointless but EVs don't need to be ugly.

The goal seems to make it look like it was electric from the factory. I kinda like it. There are going to be LEDs integrated into the sides.

Early rendering:

Last edited:
Electrifying old cars can make a ton of sense, but it can also completely miss the point. Especially when you start talking about cars that originally sold with crappy automatic transmissions, like a lot of Toyota MR2s, or an NSX, or any car where the engine was a real maintenance nightmare and not worthwhile, or where the transmission was a big problem, could be excellent candidates. Basically cars where engine/transmission swaps seem like a good move.

Edit:

E46 M3 SMG

Last edited:
Back