Endurance Racing

• Thread starter TMM
  • 4 comments

TMM

England
Nottingham, England
Has anybody else noticed that during an endurance race, when you pit to change tires, the next set sometimes seem better or worse than the prevouis set?

At first I thought it was maybe my racing style, getting used to drifting round corners on worn tires and then trying the same on new tires which grip much better but since racing my GT-R LM @ GVS Im not sure. I was leading by the start of the third lap, the 2nd place car was an Imprezza Rally Edition with over 500 BHP and a bad setup for top speed so it's not surprising. So I was taking it pretty easy, not forcing myself into corners @ high speed etc and trying to make my tires last. The first set lasted until lap 24 but the rear tires were red and I was starting to lose drive, the next set lasted until lap 44 but the rears were only yellow and I could have continued except that I was by now at least 2 laps ahead of every car on the track and could afford to change my tires.

But I drove in much the same style for both set's of tires and was doing the same sort of lap times with both set's. Could GT tire wear have a randomness about how good the tires are and how long they last? Has anybody noticed this before me? I must admit I haven't done a search on the topic.:dunce:

I think you lose a bit of mileage on your first stint because you do the start and probably spin them a bit. On subsequent stints you might get a lap or two extra mileage because the computer does a nice easy start for you from pit lane.

Other than that, tire wear seems pretty consistent. But I don't drift a lot.

As long as your nearest competitor hasn't entered that double hairpin after the tunnel, you should be able to retain the lead at GVS. I.e. you need about 20 seconds lead to keep the lead during your pitstop.

SportWagon
I think you lose a bit of mileage on your first stint because you do the start and probably spin them a bit. On subsequent stints you might get a lap or two extra mileage because the computer does a nice easy start for you from pit lane.

Other than that, tire wear seems pretty consistent. But I don't drift a lot.

As long as your nearest competitor hasn't entered that double hairpin after the tunnel, you should be able to retain the lead at GVS. I.e. you need about 20 seconds lead to keep the lead during your pitstop.
I hadn't thought of that, still I somtimes swear by the 2nd set of tires but the third set I swear at because they seem worse!!! It could be because I'm coming to the end of the race so I speed up trying to gain either places or time or I just want to finnish quicker. It's all probably in my mind.

Have you noticed though how the AI pit and come back out to race much quicker than your race car, even though it's controlled by the M/C?

By the end of the race you are probably getting tired and making more mistakes of various sorts, some of which probably cost you tire wear.

Yes, the AI do seem to get a little preferential treatment.

Do you think it was a decision taken by PD or just the way the program handles the pit stops? Maybe the AI cars aren't reduced to 100 K down the pit lane. It's a shame that little things like that affect the enjoyment of playing the game. I like GT2 because of the numbr of European cars, I like GT3 because the pit lane is open during testing and seems more realistic. Maybe in GT4 they will get all the elements right and we will even get a pit crew.

Back