Engine notes(sounds) for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

• Thread starter Noremac55
  • 20 comments
Rossy55
I have see all these videos for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue but does anyone have any idea as to whether the engine notes that I heard in the videos are actually those of the cars in the game. I don’t know if anyone else noticed it but some of the engine notes weren't inline with the cars. As well as that PD did say that GT HD had the same physics engine as the up and coming GT game but the engine notes in GT HD for the Ferrari sound nothing like a 599 GTB, yet in the video the Ferrari F430's sound exactly the way they should.

Can some one please help me out, and explain why the two games may be so different.

The engine in GT:HD is GT4. Outdate and old, nothing more than a souped-up GT3 engine.

The engine in GT5, though, is entirely new, and re-done. The AI apparently is now of intelligent levels (it can be witnessed during the 4 way battle in Trailer 2, and witnessed by Gamespot). The sound is also spot on. The R8 and F430s, prime examples of their real brothers, and the detail is spot on.

The 599 GTB noise is quiet for me in GT:HD when I've played it, but I can hear notes of the real car. I trust the new found power of the PS3 for Polyphony will allow GT5 to become the GT1 of next gen. racing.

The sound is also spot on. The R8 and F430s, prime examples of their real brothers, and the detail is spot on.

lets hope youre right about this, but I wont believe it until I hear a camaro or vette fired up in game. the american cars, as we all know, have had notoriously bad engine sounds in the previous games.

I expect a minor improvement over Forza 2, and that's being optimistic. While it would be great to have sound like that of the trailer, I doubt it's gonna happen with GT5 let alone Prologue.

what im hoping for is gt5, I would be extremely disappointed if we have to go through another iteration with mostly terrible car sounds, somehow all the japanese cars in the game sound good...

I expect a minor improvement over Forza 2, and that's being optimistic. While it would be great to have sound like that of the trailer, I doubt it's gonna happen with GT5 let alone Prologue.

Forza 2 has the sound down pretty well but it's still very mild compared to games like GTR2, especially the race cars. There are no backfires or cracks or pops like a real race car would have due to the highly built engine running straight exhaust and a rich A/F ratio. The power adder sounds are also very weak. I've heard a TT Camaro do a highway run before in real life and you can hear the twin turbos spool like no tomorrow and the car back firing when he lets off the gas. Also a supercharged Vette and a Triumph with a single turbo 455 big block (buddy's dad's car) is just sick sounding in real life.

Race-car games would be the ultimate, but one of the reasons they sound so good is because they have a very limited amount to record. It would be nice if they changed the exhaust note based on the upgrades more realistically this time, plus the racecars will have to be beefed up as you say.

Race-car games would be the ultimate, but one of the reasons they sound so good is because they have a very limited amount to record. It would be nice if they changed the exhaust note based on the upgrades more realistically this time, plus the racecars will have to be beefed up as you say.

True, they have a limited amount, but they also do not post Pitpass Reports telling how they use some of the best audio equipment in the world to capture their sounds, equipment that will ensure 100% realism.

From the sound of it, I think the engine sounds in the videos are "live" recorded sounds of the real cars simply laid over the video, and not indicative of in-game sound. For one, they sound too damn good. And the Audi was still going at full acceleration according to the sound, but it appeared to be slowing down and taking a corner according to the video.

I do hope that the sound engine is something they're drastically improving. The GT4 sound engine just isn't good enough anymore, and hasn't been for quite a while. The 599 did have some good tones now and then, but they've got to get away from the "pitch it higher" cheat for higher revs, and incorporate separate sounds instead of just the one, as was used previously. We know it can be done, because other games have done it.

From the sound of it, I think the engine sounds in the videos are "live" recorded sounds of the real cars simply laid over the video, and not indicative of in-game sound. For one, they sound too damn good. And the Audi was still going at full acceleration according to the sound, but it appeared to be slowing down and taking a corner according to the video.

I do hope that the sound engine is something they're drastically improving. The GT4 sound engine just isn't good enough anymore, and hasn't been for quite a while. The 599 did have some good tones now and then, but they've got to get away from the "pitch it higher" cheat for higher revs, and incorporate separate sounds instead of just the one, as was used previously. We know it can be done, because other games have done it.

I don't think the sounds in the trailer sounded too good at all. Forza 2's engine sounds are similar to what was in the trailer. As for the R8 sound when it was going through the corner. What I got from that was it broke, downshifted then accelerated through the corner. Either that or the Audi downshifted while braking. I could be wrong, though. :)

The engine sounds in previous GT series, including GT:HD, were said to have been recorded from car at idle and then digitally sped up to mimic an engine revving. This is why it sounded flat and doesn't have the sound of an engine under load. If they did what Turn10 did with Forza 2 and recorded the car sounds under load then it's very possible for them to replicate almost the exact sound of their real life counterpart.

Hang on guys. PD wouldn't have said they are using whole new physics engine, and then go and not improve the engine noises drastically. Plus I doubt they would just over lay the noises of a real car over those in the game, they were probably just trying to give you the best idea of what each car sounds like. Yes some of the noises weren't right, but as the group of cars on Suzuka circuit go down the back straight they do all sound in time, and the Ferrari F430 does seem to be in time, plus straight after the Nizzan 350Z race car you hear a F430, modified with a Turbo.
So I think the noises in the Videos must be those of the cars in the game, other wise when gaming magazines come to try the new game, they will squash it like a bug because of the deception portrayed in PD's trailer videos.

Anyone else AGREE!👍 👎

I noticed the same thing as well. I doubt it will sound as good as in the trailer, but who knows? You have to be optimistic ;) I quite liked the engine sounds in the trailer thought.

The audio in the first trailer are not ingame sounds. You can easily tell becaue the engine sound is still reving up as the brake lights on the car go on and the car is slowing down to take the corner. But I pray to the cargods that PD finaly get it right this time! To have roaring engines, backfires, dust spraying up underneath the car etc if you ask me, makes for more realism than all the graphics in the world! PLEEASE dont let us suffer another 5-6 years in wait for GT6 to hope for atleast decent engine sounds!

I've heard a TT Camaro do a highway run before in real life and you can hear the twin turbos spool like no tomorrow and the car back firing when he lets off the gas. Also a supercharged Vette and a Triumph with a single turbo 455 big block (buddy's dad's car) is just sick sounding in real life.

id probally be happy if they could at least get the NA camaro sound right, this time around.

Hang on guys. PD wouldn't have said they are using whole new physics engine, and then go and not improve the engine noises drastically.

why not, theyve done it in all the previous games.

What I don't get is, people keep talking about the 2 cars. F430 and Audi R8's engine sounds only. In trailer 1, when the Cars are on the Straight (I believe it's suzuka), from 1:07 to 1:18, that is proper ingame engine sound/s, syncing with what the car/s is/are doing.. Yes you can't make out WHAT car sound it is due to so many cars at the same time... Although the engine notes sound SO real to me, The Echo around the track is Perfect. I have been to quite a few trackday events, and everytime I see that trailer 1, it reminds me of my visit to one of these events...

Yes the F430 and R8 sounds are not synced with what the Car is doing (between :49 and 1:00), but I am sure that the sound is ingame engine sound, based on what I heard at the end of that trailer..

BTW, somewhere I'd heard, that GT:HD had compressed sounds and also sounds recorded during the making of GT4, just to keep the Demo below 650MB... I dont know how true that is, but I have heard it somewhere... The Blu-Ray disc can hold completely uncompressed sound, so if GT5:P comes on a disc, it'll have uncompressed sound / engine notes, that would sound much like it's real-life counter-part (just guessing / speculating)..

This is the very first official GT trailer that I recall seeing without a music track playing and so much attention put into the sounds of the cars. Believe me, I've been watching these vid since before the year 2000 and what I'm hearing now sounds awesome. I realize that some of the sounds seem out of sync but I am confident that they have totally revamped the in game sound effects and they were showcasing that in this trailer. PD would be stupid to ignore such an important part of a racing sim especially since they now have the power of the PS3 at their disposal. If I hear a corvette in GT5 buzzing like a vacuum cleaning then I will literally eat my foot...

This is the very first official GT trailer that I recall seeing without a music track playing and so much attention put into the sounds of the cars. Believe me, I've been watching these vid since before the year 2000 and what I'm hearing now sounds awesome. I realize that some of the sounds seem out of sync but I am confident that they have totally revamped the in game sound effects and they were showcasing that in this trailer. PD would be stupid to ignore such an important part of a racing sim especially since they now have the power of the PS3 at their disposal. If I hear a corvette in GT5 buzzing like a vacuum cleaning then I will literally eat my foot...

Amen to that. We need American Muscle that'll actually make our room shake at an idle. I never really thought of the fact that PD might have been showcasing just the sound in that first trailer. I guess at first, it was so much to take in, I didn't really sit down and think about what they're were trying to get across, other than the next GT will be awesome. Now I think I'll go watch that trailer on the PS3, with surround sound all the way up.......

What I don't get is, people keep talking about the 2 cars. F430 and Audi R8's engine sounds only. In trailer 1, when the Cars are on the Straight (I believe it's suzuka), from 1:07 to 1:18, that is proper ingame engine sound/s, syncing with what the car/s is/are doing.. Yes you can't make out WHAT car sound it is due to so many cars at the same time... Although the engine notes sound SO real to me, The Echo around the track is Perfect. I have been to quite a few trackday events, and everytime I see that trailer 1, it reminds me of my visit to one of these events...

People just like to concentrate and nit pick at the negatives. It's typical human behavior, that's all. I totally agree with what you're saying because I have been to quite a few track days and have raced in quite a few of them myself and PD has done an amazing job with the sounds! I also do not for a minute doubt that those are actual in-game sounds because if Turn 10 can create such realistic sounds for Forza 2 on a DVD disc already. I don't see why or how PD couldn't/wouldn't be able to create even better sounds for GT5 on a Blu-Ray disc.

Back