Engine soundtrack?

Well, I just saw some ingame footage from the new GT HD, and I must say that I'm pleased that Ferrari has finally realised that they should be in GT...

But the SOUND! A V12 Ferrari, should really sound better than a driller!

What's your thoughts about this? Will we ever get more life-like engine sounds?

I feel that the sounds are slowly improving, but it still needs a lot of work. I actually did a sound comparison of the Ferrari in game, revving, and at the same time, i found a video of the same Ferrari revving on the computer. Surprising to me, the sounds were almost right on, but the in game Ferrari lacked the "umph" and raw power feeling that you would get if you were standing right next to the car. So, yes it's close, but it's still too easy to tell that the in game car sounds are digitally created moreso than recorded.

I wonder why PD are having so many problems getting the sounds right in GT?

I'll be honest, but I've never heard any racing game that is equal to real life experience, but you'd think with the next Gen consoles, they'd be able to seriously raise the bar some more with the audio.

I've always felt the audio has been an after thought to most game developers, and this shows in the final product.

I hope they will really improve the sound! If you just look THAT video where is on-board camera in Arta nsx, I'm sure you'll understand whats on my mind. I would kill for that sound(hehe joke) :) . Listen that gorgeous sound on 2:00 sec...pfuuu. I'm praying that PD is working on that. Or listen car engine, when car is passing pits(around 2:20sec). Thats the real deal. Not sound in GT3, where are all car sounds almost the same(I know that ps2 couldn't deliver more :) )

Polypony Digital PLEASE, PLEASE improve sound!!

Am I really only one here, who is impressed, when car sounds like REAL racing car?
:)

TestDrive unlimited comes to mind, as well as the latest Need For Speed Series. Keep in mind we are talking Sounds rather then realism.

I think those games are on the right track when it comes to sound quality/authenticity.

I was really dissapointed when i played GT-HD because of this, the cars sound so unrealistic, very dull and lacking in power i'm sure an EVO with 500 odd horsepower would not sound so bland.

Theres no VTEC on the Integra - No Turbo spooling or any sign of blow off valve on turbo'd cars and i dont know how anyone can say that ferrari sounds close to real :(

TestDrive unlimited comes to mind, as well as the latest Need For Speed Series. Keep in mind we are talking Sounds rather then realism.

I think those games are on the right track when it comes to sound quality/authenticity.

The Subaru Impreza NFSU2 vs Subaru Impreza IRL is so very close it's sick! I'll try to remember to make a movie with those two compared and link it here.

the GTHD engine soundtrack is pretty pathetic... the ferrari 599 sounds nothing like the real thing (ive heard one at full flight, and the sound is nearly orgazmic!)
and the GTR sounds like a wet fart.. ive been in many GTR's and have a skyline motor in my car, and GTHD is not even close..
hopfully when GT5 comes round they will have used better quality recordings of EVERY car they include in the game...
and that clip above just shows how bad the GT sounds really are.

LOL

That Scooby in GT4 just sounded like a standard car engine noise from a 1980's racing game on my Spectrum. I had no idea it was quite that bad.

it would be nice if gt5 sounds and engine characteristics are captured with real car in dyno,like forza people do(correct me if im wrong).

I think it would be cheaper also; Less hours on effects like turbo spool.

it would be nice if gt5 sounds and engine characteristics are captured with real car in dyno,like forza people do(correct me if im wrong).

I think it would be cheaper also; Less hours on effects like turbo spool.

or with farm animals like nfsu2 👍

GT series deffinately lacks in the sound department,but it's not that they haven't recorded all the cars, it seems they don't know how to mix and program them to sound lifelike together(more "sound layers" are recorded at different rpm's+extra sounds=turbo.etc)! I've been following the GT series since GT2(the guy brought his PS in the barracks when I was serving army back in '99) and I'm hooked since:dopey: . The best sounds I ever heard were from the last few NFS's(which suck in other aspects),GTR series are relatively good and TDU which I've been playing this past week(phisycs are basicly good in this game,but unfortunately,someone messed it up good upon finetuning,so it feels kinda odd. And also, they've managed to screw up the beautifuly made cockpit view with too small FOV(field of view) and head bobing which induces sea sickness! They should've payed few grand to those 3 genius guys that make LFS:tup: to tune their physics and cockpit view, which is spot on in lfs!)
Anyway I hope the guys from polyphony are looking at this forum and will do something about it,cause if they get it wrong again with all the power and space that PS3 and bluray can provide,that'll be just plain embarasing.:scared:

it would be nice if gt5 sounds and engine characteristics are captured with real car in dyno.

I'm pretty sure they've been doing that since GT3, and I know for a fact they did it for GT4. The problem, like speedfreak said, isn't the sounds themselves, but how PD processes them and inserts them into the game.

I wouldn't take GTHD as a pointer for sound, though... it's pretty clear that all of the sound samples, and no doubt the sound engine itself, is the exact same one used in GT4. If they're smart, they'll re-write it from scratch for next-gen. The Cell is ideal for streaming and processing media, including audio. They should be able to do anything they please on the PS3 in terms of sound.

well, they've got a long time until GT5 comes out, so hopefully they will actually concentrate on the sounds

I thought that when they were making
GT3...
...and GT4...
...so I gues we're all here just a bunch of stupidly optimistic fans eh?:crazy: :sly:
Well, I still hope they gonna do it right this time...💡

Does anyone know what type of audio they used in PD's GT4 intro? Some of the car sounds in that intro sound true to life to me......doesn't sound like anything in particular, but it definitely sounds better than the in game audio

Does anyone know what type of audio they used in PD's GT4 intro? Some of the car sounds in that intro sound true to life to me......doesn't sound like anything in particular, but it definitely sounds better than the in game audio

At least that shows PD knows they do it wrong. If the intro sounds would be in-game sounds this thread would never appear.

I wonder why PD are having so many problems getting the sounds right in GT?

I'll be honest, but I've never heard any racing game that is equal to real life experience, but you'd think with the next Gen consoles, they'd be able to seriously raise the bar some more with the audio.

I've always felt the audio has been an after thought to most game developers, and this shows in the final product.

the reason why is that when GT4 came out there was not enugh disc space for those high quality sounds, and as well having each and unique sound for each car. when GTHD came out, i think they wanted to demo not to be too huge for the download as well... but i agree, one of the best game companies out there and weak in sound lol. seems that they spended creating the dumb soundrack for the GT4 then for the engine and muffler sounds haha.

the reason why is that when GT4 came out there was not enugh disc space for those high quality sounds, and as well having each and unique sound for each car. when GTHD came out, i think they wanted to demo not to be too huge for the download as well... but i agree, one of the best game companies out there and weak in sound lol. seems that they spended creating the dumb soundrack for the GT4 then for the engine and muffler sounds haha.

Sorry,but that's bull. GT4's DVD wasn't nowhere near as full(+the sounds were just marginaly better than GT3).
About GTHD,700MB for a one (small)track/20 cars demo is huge,especially if you don't have a really fast connection...
I think there aren't any exscuses for PD when you put things into perspective,the biggest racing game studio with all the money from sony should do a hell of a lot better than keep rehashing sounds from the first two GT's(I know they recorded some of the sounds again,but in the end it sounds just a little bit better,which indicates their incompetence so they should fire the guy(s) responsible for mixing/programing the engine sounds).

Sorry,but that's bull. GT4's DVD wasn't nowhere near as full(+the sounds were just marginaly better than GT3).
About GTHD,700MB for a one (small)track/20 cars demo is huge,especially if you don't have a really fast connection...
I think there aren't any exscuses for PD when you put things into perspective,the biggest racing game studio with all the money from sony should do a hell of a lot better than keep rehashing sounds from the first two GT's(I know they recorded some of the sounds again,but in the end it sounds just a little bit better,which indicates their incompetence so they should fire the guy(s) responsible for mixing/programing the engine sounds).

in GT2 the sounds were quiet good, much turbo sounds e.t.c.

in GT2 the sounds were quiet good, much turbo sounds e.t.c.

GT2 & GT3 were not too bad i used to spend my time on SSR5 in an impreza through the tunnels - in GT3 SSR5 wet track!

Car enthusiasts not only like cars for how fast they go - or how slow - or how nice looking - or whatever else, the sound of the car.

Turbo whine whistle or supercharger or N/A symphony is very important.

Some cars have made some fame out of how they sound - the grumbling boxer engine from a subaru - the vtec on a honda - the v12 in a ferrari list goes on.

Point is - how can one of the most succesfull racing games ever made be so crap at having the correct or even similar to realistic sounding cars - i mean forza 2 will have vtec sound and no doubt most of the cars will sound great,

I'm no hater - i have always loved gran turismo but jeez it is getting annoying as after every game in the series i've hoped for much improvement and now even with a new console - next gen - they still havent given us anything greater than what we have had!

I mean jeez still no reverse lights - lol

GT2 & GT3 were not too bad i used to spend my time on SSR5 in an impreza through the tunnels - in GT3 SSR5 wet track!

Car enthusiasts not only like cars for how fast they go - or how slow - or how nice looking - or whatever else, the sound of the car.

Turbo whine whistle or supercharger or N/A symphony is very important.

Some cars have made some fame out of how they sound - the grumbling boxer engine from a subaru - the vtec on a honda - the v12 in a ferrari list goes on.

Point is - how can one of the most succesfull racing games ever made be so crap at having the correct or even similar to realistic sounding cars - i mean forza 2 will have vtec sound and no doubt most of the cars will sound great,

I'm no hater - i have always loved gran turismo but jeez it is getting annoying as after every game in the series i've hoped for much improvement and now even with a new console - next gen - they still havent given us anything greater than what we have had!

I mean jeez still no reverse lights - lol

the only thing i can say to you is... WORD!

I don't know about you guys,but thinking back I realized that allthough I allways pick the cars I like visually,in the end ,I drive those cars which have the greatest sounding engines the most,because I play from the bumper(cockpit,if there is one)view and all there is from a car is it's sound and handling!💡 (ie.I LOVE the Mustang GTR concept in TDU but I rather drive the Corvette just because it sounds great!)
Think about it for a minute...
I am positive that 90% of us drive in those views,so sound really becomes a BIG part of the expirience,but ends up being put to side by game developers,concentrating mainly on the graphics! At present,GT looks amazing and physics need just finetuning,but the sound NEEDS complete overhaul! Do you guys agree?

I don't know about you guys,but thinking back I realized that allthough I allways pick the cars I like visually,in the end ,I drive those cars which have the greatest sounding engines the most,because I play from the bumper(cockpit,if there is one)view and all there is from a car is it's sound and handling!💡 (ie.I LOVE the Mustang GTR concept in TDU but I rather drive the Corvette just because it sounds great!)
Think about it for a minute...
I am positive that 90% of us drive in those views,so sound really becomes a BIG part of the expirience,but ends up being put to side by game developers,concentrating mainly on the graphics! At present,GT looks amazing and physics need just finetuning,but the sound NEEDS complete overhaul! Do you guys agree?

That is my exact opinion!!! Great point you made there - in GT4 i found myself on bumper cam as the sound is slightly better, in TDU and PGR i found myself changing view as it gives a more in depth engine sound as it is like you are hearing it from outside the car!

And also as you said - i too generally love driving the cars with the best sound! In GT2 blow off valves were very involved in the turbo'd cars - i used to drive my R33 V-Spec II around on and off the accelerator just to hear it!

That is my exact opinion!!! Great point you made there - in GT4 i found myself on bumper cam as the sound is slightly better, in TDU and PGR i found myself changing view as it gives a more in depth engine sound as it is like you are hearing it from outside the car!

And also as you said - i too generally love driving the cars with the best sound! In GT2 blow off valves were very involved in the turbo'd cars - i used to drive my R33 V-Spec II around on and off the accelerator just to hear it!

im with you there, but i had the Supra as my favourite, i used to increase the volume on the tv and listen to the full rev range in 5th gear 👍

...when GTHD came out, i think they wanted the demo not to be too huge for the download as well... but i agree, one of the best game companies out there and weak in sound lol. seems that they spended creating the dumb soundrack for the GT4 then for the engine and muffler sounds haha.

I understand them wanting to keep the file size down on GT:HD, but I think they should upgrade the engine sounds in their latest patch/release to give us an idea of what they can do with the audio, as it's getting beyond a joke now. Just like tyre marks, damage and changing weather.

Given how serious this problem is, I really think we should consider sending some sort of petition or letter on behalf of the entire GTP community. Seeing as how Sony is showing more and more symptoms of product mytopia I really think we need to express our sediments that all is not well in the kingdom and this is something that we as a loyal customer base are not satisfied with.

Back