Engrish -- Ever Notice This?

• Thread starter Thirdeye
  • 19 comments
United States
Grand Rapids, M
ThirdeYe1337
Derek1337
In the Beginner League, go to the 4WD Challenge, and read the purple text in the left and right hand corners. It reads:

Why don't you choose 4WD? Though it is the composition which became stable most and stands big output. Now we declare "4WD is a supreme". If you approve of this declaration, to participate in this challenge.

Thought that was pretty funny :P I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for anymore.

I know, it's about just worst English the to translation Japanese read I ever did see.

pupik
I know, it's about just worst English the to translation Japanese read I ever did see.
:lol: Obviously, you've never watched Chinese DVDs of Japanese movies. Their translation of Japanese to English is so bad, sometimes, they even change names in the movies to Chinese names. :scared:

Edit:
RedWolfRacer
"Oh no! Someone set us up the bomb!"
"We get signal!"
"Main screen turn on!"
"This is Cats! All your base are belong to us!"
And it goes on...

The game? Wing Zero for the Playstation. :P
:lol: LMAO

The Chinese, although superb at their craftmanship, never took a language class judging by their captions and translations of Japanese DVDs. It makes me wonder why the Japanese just don't do it themselves so as to not be shamed. lol

RedWolfRacer
The Chinese, although superb at their craftmanship, never took a language class judging by their captions and translations of Japanese DVDs. It makes me wonder why the Japanese just don't do it themselves so as to not be shamed. lol
No kidding. I wonder how much of the translation they just guess or wing it. :lol:

i noticed that the first time i tried the series. but what makes me laugh the hardest is that in ruf, every description of every car and the company makes SURE you know that they are an auto manufacturer in their own right. i'm sure it's just a legal thing, but i guess the Japanese never heard of overkill.

What's the wet race caption?
"Rain: concrete and asphalt become black terror."
Something like that, always thought it was rather amusing.

Emohawk
What's the wet race caption?
"Rain: concrete and asphalt become black terror."
Something like that, always thought it was rather amusing.

That sounds poetic and descriptive though..... perfectly fine in my book.

Sounds like "Resident Evil" doesn't it? Doesn't that game say something about "welcome to surviving horror"? :lol:

Here's a good one, under the MR Challenge's yellow text on the right side of the screen:

The challenge for all Midship-engine. Rear-drive configure machines to win.

And under Spider & Roadster at the top, in the white text:

Cars with the feel of open air. Races with the feel wind in your face.

They're not all engrish, but most of them (like the one I posted) are just a little strange. Not something you'd expect a native english speaker to come up with.

Hehe! I've always noticed the funny engrish in GT, cool that others think its funny also!

Grammar get!

Also, Zero Wing was for the Sega Megadrive (or genesis as it was called in japan), not PlayStation. Very funny though...

Someone a couple years ago actually posted the 4WD Challenge text to r/copypasta :)

I've also come across a few 4chan threads with the text from around the same time

I spotted a typo in the arcade car selection class menu: Motor Sport Elise is written as “MoterSport Elise”... there’s also quite a few cars that were seemingly rearranged after they completed the scrolling text videos.

Back