Excel file to help gear ratio tuning

• Thread starter sucahyo
  • 21 comments
The first file trantuner.xls, is from NoQuarter from his post at
http://granturismoforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=59769
http://forums.gttimes.com/viewtopic.php?p=148006
http://hgt.themaille.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=664020&view=getlastpost

this file calculate the top speed of each gear using top rpm and gear ratio, it also can be used to calculate the gear ratio of different final drive.

The second file Jmac's GT2 Gear Ratio Guide.xls, is from Jmac279, he has gearing tips on
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1573114&postcount=9

this file is the easiest to use, you just enter lowest 1st gear, highest 4th gear, top rpm, maximum power rpm, and it will calculate the best gear ratio and even the optimal shifting point 👍 !

The third file, gearrpm.xls is from me. This file calculate the start rpm after changing gear (on spesific rpm), it also calculate the gear ratio based on the target start rpm you enter. You can also enter the incremental rpm that you want. Using 0 delta have the exact same result with Jmac's static gearing.
You need to use excel goal seek to maximized the gear. I add second method with calculated suggested gear change based on start rpm you want (you can just enter the start rpm you want on the first method). Also speed estimator is hidden in O & P column. Try it on 1st gear, modify max rpm and tire diameter to get more accurate result.

Tuning the gear is important because it can make you win easier :)
There is many good gear tuning tips on this forum 👍 !

This is spoon integra with gear tuning vs no tuning at the first race on GT300

You can slam other car easier if you can keep up ;)

Using suggestion from Jmac279 and MacRoadster I can make it faster 👍 !

With this, I can slam the first car :D , it doesn't matter how bad I am on corner as long as I have the first corner, the rest of the race is easy............
On whatever file I mostly use 2.500 final drive because it gives me faster 1000m ............. :)

edit: added my newest calculator

Attachments

• trantuner.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Jmacs GT2 Gear Ratio Guide.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 159
  • gearrpm.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 152
  • sucahyogear.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 103
Nice links 👍

I've got some nice tools long time ago, to calculate gear ratios, but ended by never using them with GT2... :P

The Spoon Integra is a very nice car, we were beating the All Stars in Red Rock on the "Challenge Me" thread some months ago. Jmac even posted a video of his driving :)

Jmac279
My calculator is better :)
Wow, complete with optimal gear shifting!
I see, using the same start rpm for wide power band and using different start rpm for narrow band .....

I use my file to make lowest 1st ratio and maximum high gear ratio. I use goal seek to make the 4th or 5th gear maximum by changing 2nd gear ratio, with 1st gear is always minimum. But I forgot the include the instructions ..............

If you use my table you can make the high gear maximum on dynamic method too :), I think that you should use highest 5th (not 4th) gear ratio on dynamic method.

MacRoadster
The Spoon Integra is a very nice car, we were beating the All Stars in Red Rock on the "Challenge Me" thread some months ago. Jmac even posted a video of his driving :)
Too bad the link is gone ......, do you still have it Jmac?
I try it with my dirtiest method and can only make in 4th :(.

I've done 5:56 with the Spoon ITR on that race. I find it quite easy to win ... I'm usually in the lead by the end of the first corner and don't usually relinquish the lead from then on ...
00792lg.jpg

I don't have the video anymore, unfortunately ... Maybe I'll record my driving again some time ...

Jmac279
Updated ...
7 Speed!
Are there any car that have 7 speed in GT2 ?

BTW, I just found out (after using your car setting 👍 ) that using higher spring rate can increase your speed in Redrock corner. The fastest lap that I can do is know 11.5xx :). I think I will try it again with 16.0/16.0 spring rate ............

Here are a couple replays I did tonight ... didn't exactly drive well, but I won ...

Attachments

• Jmac_Spoon_ITR.zip
    12.7 KB · Views: 29
sucahyo
7 Speed!
Are there any car that have 7 speed in GT2 ?
The Subaru Pleos have 7-speed transmissions ... they're also popular in hybrids ...

Updated again ...

Changes:

Added *rough* optimum shift points for stock transmissions
Corrected *rough* optimum shift points for all calculators
Minor layout changes

Attachments

• Jmacs GT2 Gear Ratio Guide.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 58
Jmac279
Here are a couple replays I did tonight ... didn't exactly drive well, but I won ...
Thank you, this is very informative 👍 . It seems that my cornering on corner after the tunnel is wrong, because you have faster speed before the last corner.

BTW is this the right replay ? Because when I play it (three times), your replay have 1:13.605 best lap, 6:15 total, and came in 4th (the computer seems to plays differently on each replay but the end result is the same)

I use harder spring rate and I can make 2nd (using load and save)!

No, I didn't run a 6:15 ... I ran a 6:05 and was quite disappointed (although I still won) ...

You must be loading it off the wrong memory card ... The replays should be labeled "Spoon ITR GT-AS RRV" and "RRV2" ...

Jmac279
You must be loading it off the wrong memory card ... The replays should be labeled "Spoon ITR GT-AS RRV" and "RRV2" ...
Oops, it is wrong memory cards!
But sadly it won't replay properly, in the first replay the integra out accelerate a GT40! and the second one keep hitting the wall. I think I should find NTSC sim disc first .........

sucahyo
But sadly it won't replay properly, in the first replay the integra out accelerate a GT40! and the second one keep hitting the wall. I think I should find NTSC sim disc first .........
I've tried the replays too, after converting the saved game to my version, but all i see is the Spoon hitting the wall on the 1st corner, just like you...

Jmac279
The Subaru Pleos have 7-speed transmissions ... they're also popular in hybrids ...

Updated again ...

Changes:

Added *rough* optimum shift points for stock transmissions
Corrected *rough* optimum shift points for all calculators
Minor layout changes
This Gear Calculator is cool but a GS is so much easier to really tweak the gears and Put a 7Speed in ALL your cars, Nice work though!

HYBRIDLVR
This Gear Calculator is cool but a GS is so much easier to really tweak the gears and Put a 7Speed in ALL your cars, Nice work though!

But what if I don't want a 7 speed in all my cars?

Last edited:
I think calculator can help tuning non hybrid or hybrid gearing, since we can get almost exact gear ratio for the speed we need.
The calculator (slightly modified in my signature) really help me in GT4 300mph race, 4 first position with only 16 total hour playing :).
With calculator, I only need few minutes to tweak the gear.

Back