Explosion in Manchester UK

• Thread starter Mr P
  • 356 comments
Everybody in the area stay safe, and condolences to all the families of the victims.

I know speculation has already started on this being a bombing etc, and whilst it may turn out to be a bomb it may also turn out to be something else entirely that has caused it.

There was also talk of an electrical overload, which caused a speaker explosion. Coupled with mass panic and fleeing we could even be looking at a stampede which led to loss of life and injuries.

Either way, jumping to the worst conclusion (whilst it may turn out to be true) is something none of us should do.

Just seen a twitter video, which appears real from a driver with a dash cam nearby, very loud explosion and you see a flash as well before behind a building. So scary.

This is so terrible, my condolences go out to everyone affected by this.

It's utterly terrifying to think how many young children were there.

Unconfirmed rumours (hopefully fake) of a gunman near Oldham Hospital as well.

EDIT:

About those rumours of a gunman. People saying they're on lockdown inside.

Apparently, it's false. On lockdown for the other incident.

I'm reading 19 dead and 50 injured - absolutely awful :(

I used to visit the Arena a lot until I moved away from MCR a couple of years ago, seems more horrible for being a place I know :(

What's really tragic is seeing the appeals in real time for children to contact their parents. There were a lot of teens at the gig who were meeting their parents outside afterwards. Unclaimed children from the evacuation have been taken to the nearby Holiday Inn and a number issued for parents to get in touch.

Sadly it seems that some parents haven't found their missing children there. Awful awful goings-on :( :(

EDIT: Taxi companies whose vehicles were originally comandeered by the police to transport mobilised off-duty officers are now taking concert-goers away from the scene as the local rail/tram/bus services are suspended.

"Second device" that was destroyed in controlled explosion was in fact abandoned clothing.

My thoughts go out to the victims of this attack. Hopefully they catch the scumbag(s) that did this and never mention his name (just make up an insanely stupid name for said sleezeball, like Poopy McPoopface).

I also can't help but spare a thought for Ariana, I can't imagine what it's like having people die at an event centered around yourself. Hopefully the record company doesn't push her and perhaps the guys from EoDM can reach out to her.

Warning!! Please be advised anyone who goes to the above link to MEN arena that an individual is posting some very shocking footage of victims in the war overseas claiming this is the start of their revenge, the video's he posted should not be shown to anyone.. Please be warned in advance!

Hope someone closes him down and deletes everything asap 👎

I hope they find the people who did it, toss them in a jail cell, and throw away the key. Maybe the UK should rethink its immigration policies too.

There is a guy, David Leavitt, who made such a tasteless joke on Twitter that he deserves all shame that comes to him.

Controlled explosion carried out on a secondary device.
From CNN:
After the initial incident, police carried out a precautionary controlled explosion nearby but the item turned out to be discarded clothing, not a "suspicious item," Greater Manchester Police said.

Odds are leaning towards a suicide bomber outside of the venue.

From CNN:

Odds are leaning towards a suicide bomber outside of the venue.
That's what I heard as well. Someone at the gate. Security stopped them but the explosion still did damage. Same as the Palm Sunday bombing in Egypt.

There is a guy, David Leavitt, who made such a tasteless joke on Twitter that he deserves all shame that comes to him.

The only thing funny about his "joke" was his terrible apology/explanation, which is really only funny because it made things oh so much worse. :lol:

Some new footage from inside the Arena, Pandemonium was inevitable :( Also it's the 4 years to the day that Lee Rigby was killed 👎

Last edited:
My thoughts go out to the victims of this attack. Hopefully they catch the scumbag(s) that did this and never mention his name (just make up an insanely stupid name for said sleezeball, like Poopy McPoopface).

I also can't help but spare a thought for Ariana, I can't imagine what it's like having people die at an event centered around yourself. Hopefully the record company doesn't push her and perhaps the guys from EoDM can reach out to her.

I agree well with most of your post, but why would you want to protect the identity (and motivation) of someone who was so effectively trying to kill you? An enlightened and self-respecting democratic people should absolutely understand who and why they are being assaulted in such horrific ways as this. How else could you take effective steps to prevent such acts from happening again and again?

I agree well with most of your post, but why would you want to protect the identity (and motivation) of someone who was so effectively trying to kill you? An enlightened and self-respecting democratic people should absolutely understand who and why they are being assaulted in such horrific ways as this. How else could you take effective steps to prevent such acts from happening again and again?
The problem is that the terrorists want their name to be known and remembered no? How can one psychologically remember the attack but yet at the same time also cause the bomber to have no "glory"? Do we call them savage, uneducated, hopeless dregs of humanity?

The problem is we put so much focus on the perpetrator(s) to the point they achieve celebrity status while the victims, the ones we really should care about, usually get forgotten about shortly after the attack. Hence why I said come up with over the top silly names instead of using their real ones (except for initial reports that is).

The problem is that the terrorists want their name to be known and remembered no? How can one psychologically remember the attack but yet at the same time also cause the bomber to have no "glory"? Do we call them savage, uneducated, hopeless dregs of humanity?
Who cares what the perpetrator wants or doesn't want? I'm more interested in the complete truth.

As if this wasn't sickening enough there are people posting fake missing family member pictures all over Twitter to get retweets probably for exposure or financial gain. The internet has yet again taken something low and made it even lower. This world is truly beyond redemption now :ouch:

As if this wasn't sickening enough there are people posting fake missing family member pictures all over Twitter to get retweets probably for exposure or financial gain. The internet has yet again taken something low and made it even lower. This world is truly beyond redemption now :ouch:

Things like this make me very happy to be absent from Facebook and Twitter.

That's not the internet's fault though. These people existed before, the internet just makes you aware of them. Most people are still perfectly sane.

Back