F1 2020 Revealed, Arrives July 10 for PS4, Xbox One, PC and Stadia

Ummmm...... Why are they releasing a game when there hasn't even been a 2020 season yet. I would question the IQ of anyone who buys this.

Ummmm...... Why are they releasing a game when there hasn't even been a 2020 season yet. I would question the IQ of anyone who buys this.
I mean there is no need for the sesson to start as they have the cars drivers etc already included. They only thing that might get effected is team performance at the start of career mode which was already 🤬 in F1 2019 anyway.

Thats how sport games work.
Furthermore the decision to release F1 games yearly isn't really comes from Codemasters itself, but by the F1 licensee management team within the FIA.

It's effectively true to most other sports games with respective organizations (NBA Games by NBA, FIFA Games by FIFA, etc).

This title should be cancelled in case it becomes clear the season won’t happen. Hopefully it doesn’t go that far, but not cool if the licensee ends up making decent money while the licensors struggle to survive.

I’m not implying there are hard rules in such a scenario, but here it would be distasteful.

Last edited:
This title should be cancelled in case it becomes clear the season won’t happen. Hopefully it doesn’t go that far, but not cool if the licensee ends up making decent money while the licensors struggle to survive.

I’m not implying there are hard rules in such a scenario, but here it would be distasteful.

Won't happen and don't understand your argument for cancelling it. Distasteful? Perhaps you meant something else, not sure.

There would be absolutely no sense in cancelling the game whatsoever. There's no reasonable argument for it.

Won't happen and don't understand your argument for cancelling it. Distasteful? Perhaps you meant something else, not sure.

There would be absolutely no sense in cancelling the game whatsoever. There's no reasonable argument for it.

The argument would be there if the 2020 season doesn't happen. Real possibility.

I don't even think someone like EA would be crazy enough to release an Euro 2020 expansion for Fifa 20 after the tournament has been postponed to next year. Their license to do it would be revoked.

I'd suggest that Liberty Media and F1 in general will want the game to sell, given they will stand to make some money from the licensing rights...

I'd suggest that Liberty Media and F1 in general will want the game to sell, given they will stand to make some money from the licensing rights...

I think it would depend on the state of the sport. If some of the smaller teams end up bankrupt or similar because of no races being held, then it would look weird to make a buck off a game that's goes far to realistically depict every venue, car, team and driver.

For now it's just worst case scenario, but it's a thought worth consideration. The current situation is far from normal, and many sports are already doomed for the rest of the year.

The argument would be there if the 2020 season doesn't happen. Real possibility.

I don't even think someone like EA would be crazy enough to release an Euro 2020 expansion for Fifa 20 after the tournament has been postponed to next year. Their license to do it would be revoked.

Someone like EA doesn't need an expansion to make money. F1 is Codemasters biggest title by far.

2020 not starting or not happening is all the more reason for it to release. It a team goes bankrupt, it would be awful of course. And F1 2020 will immortalise the last car they ever built.

I think it would depend on the state of the sport. If some of the smaller teams end up bankrupt or similar because of no races being held, then it would look weird to make a buck off a game that's goes far to realistically depict every venue, car, team and driver.

It would look even more weird to potentially bankrupt a company because they decided to not release a finished game because the series it's based on has had it's season cut due to unfortunate circumstances.

Yes, the F1 series probably makes Codies a good chunk of money, but it's also more than likely the only title that will be making them money for the next year or so. Grid was not a success, Dirt Rally 2.0 was but it's support is done and the SMS game hasn't even been unveiled yet.

Also, while I obviously have no clue what the licensing deal includes exactly, I would be surprised if the teams didn't get a slice of the pie.

Someone like EA doesn't need an expansion to make money. F1 is Codemasters biggest title by far.

2020 not starting or not happening is all the more reason for it to release. It a team goes bankrupt, it would be awful of course. And F1 2020 will immortalise the last car they ever built.

It would look even more weird to potentially bankrupt a company because they decided to not release a finished game because the series it's based on has had it's season cut due to unfortunate circumstances.

Yes, the F1 series probably makes Codies a good chunk of money, but it's also more than likely the only title that will be making them money for the next year or so. Grid was not a success, Dirt Rally 2.0 was but it's support is done and the SMS game hasn't even been unveiled yet.

Also, while I obviously have no clue what the licensing deal includes exactly, I would be surprised if the teams didn't get a slice of the pie.

In all likelihood it comes down to the conditions of the licensing deal. Maybe Codemasters already has secured the rights to release the game no matter what objections the F1 owners would have down the line, and if so, they most likely will release the game. But they also have to consider not to burn any bridges.

If however the owners of F1 can revoke the licence under specific circumstances, then I can see several reasons why they'd want to have the game cancelled if the real season ends up being just that.

In all likelihood it comes down to the conditions of the licensing deal. Maybe Codemasters already has secured the rights to release the game no matter what objections the F1 owners would have down the line, and if so, they most likely will release the game. But they also have to consider not to burn any bridges.

If however the owners of F1 can revoke the licence under specific circumstances, then I can see several reasons why they'd want to have the game cancelled if the real season ends up being just that.

I don't see why any owners would object since their team being in the game is providing their sponsors with exposure, which seems rather important in a time where the real life car is parked in their shop indefinitely.

Does anyone expect this to take over for F1 2019 in the official races they're streaming online?

I don't see why it wouldn't.

At least there are large scale changes to the game each year - I'm still playing Fifa 17 because I don't think anything has changed since then AT LEAST!!!
I'm still on Fifa 17 too. I don't think the following Fifa's are any better so there is no point in "upgrading".
I disagree with other posters who say that the F1 games aren't different enough each year to warrant a purchase.

Does anyone expect this to take over for F1 2019 in the official races they're streaming online?

Definitely. There's even talk that custom builds of 2019 will be pushed out for new tracks sooner but I imagine they'll just switch to 2020 when its stable enough.

At least there are large scale changes to the game each year - I'm still playing Fifa 17 because I don't think anything has changed since then AT LEAST!!!

So basically (as far as I could always tell), an average EA Sports title.

Are we talking about the same EA that referred to Loot boxes as "Surprise Mechanics"?

So basically (as far as I could always tell), an average EA Sports title.

Are we talking about the same EA that referred to Loot boxes as "Surprise Mechanics"?

Just as an aside to this conversation. EA haven't had the UEFA license for a little while (Champions league aside). It was Konami and Pro Evo that had the Euro 2020 license and it will still be releasing as an add on for Pro Evo 2020 this Thursday. With all teams, kits, ball and stadium.

Just as an aside to this conversation. EA haven't had the UEFA license for a little while (Champions league aside). It was Konami and Pro Evo that had the Euro 2020 license and it will still be releasing as an add on for Pro Evo 2020 this Thursday. With all teams, kits, ball and stadium.

I didn't even notice that PES had taken over the licence, but the Euro 2020 DLC is delayed indefinitely. I suspect it will be rescheduled for 2021 if the real thing gets underway by then.

Back to F1.

I didn't even notice that PES had taken over the licence, but the Euro 2020 DLC is delayed indefinitely. I suspect it will be rescheduled for 2021 if the real thing gets underway by then.

Back to F1.

Mid June. Had Japan not declared state of emergency 10 days ago it would have launched as normal. My point being that its not respect to the competitions and teams that will affect anything releasing as you're suggesting.

Mid June. Had Japan not declared state of emergency 10 days ago it would have launched as normal.

Mid June?

My point being that its not respect to the competitions and teams that will affect anything releasing as you're suggesting.

My point was that UEFA wouldn't allow it, and we can't really be sure unless the DLC comes out this year.

Several factors would probably influence the decision to go ahead with the F1 game in case the F1 season doesn't, but again, the licensing deal might have the final say.

Mid June?

My point was that UEFA wouldn't allow it, and we can't really be sure unless the DLC comes out this year.

Several factors would probably influence the decision to go ahead with the F1 game in case the F1 season doesn't, but again, the licensing deal might have the final say.

UEFA have allowed it. The limitation is on Konami physically doing it as they are based in Japan which has just stepped up on the national emergency. Its been pit back indefijitely but sources have said it could be mid June for release.

The licenses are done deals, its down to the devs what gets released and as releases make money they will go ahead as and when possible.

Back