F1 2021 Revealed, Arrives July 16 for PlayStation, Xbox, and PC

The WRC series also does it as does NASCAR, it’s always been the case for most motorsport series.

Noted that this is how F1 games have been in the past. Also noted that WRC games are this way (albeit the Moto GP game is more closely aligned with start date).

I suppose my original question is, is anyone put off by that? Are we OK, as F1 fans (assuming), with F1 games being released half way through the F1 season?
I won’t accept a ‘that’s the way it’s always been’ response ;)
NBA, NHL, MLB, (FIFA depending on league) games are all released closer or at season start. Why can’t a F1 title be that way as well?

Last edited:
Noted that this is how F1 games have been in the past. Also noted that WRC games are this way (albeit the Moto GP game is more closely aligned with start date).

I suppose my original question is, is anyone put off by that? Are we OK, as F1 fans (assuming), with F1 games being released half way through the F1 season?
NBA, NHL, MLB, (FIFA depending on league) games are all released closer or at season start. Why can’t a F1 title be that way as well?

Honestly doesn't bother me really. I'm guessing they would all release to coincide with the season in an ideal world, but they're now stuck in a yearly development cycle which is hard to shift. So for WRC 11 to break the development cycle and release in time with the start of the season, they would only have a few months to make and complete the game, as opposed to a whole year. That's my guess anyway.

I suspect it’s down to the amount of time it takes to model cars and tracks and how close to the season start they all get finally confirmed and revealed

So they confirmed on the official forum that the current tracks won't have the real life changes, Australia for example has a a new corner made and also confirmed not all new tracks will be in the game at launch.
I’m not really connected to the dev team but to give some perspective, a new track takes a year of man-hours to make and there are 3 of those this year, not to mention the whole pandemic thing throwing a wrench in every step of the research and production process.

As for the adjusted tracks, my guess is that it’s probably a timing thing. Adjusting a track layout isn’t as simple as dragging a corner a few metres to the right, as all sorts of other things are impacted by new paths being generated.

It’s not the same as building a track from scratch but with everything else that’s going on within the game and its features (and the upgrade to a new generation of consoles) it’s a tough call to allocate the dev hours I imagine.

I’m aware it’s not new for the F1 games. To me it would make more sense at the beginning of the season. Like all of the other sport games I can think of.
The reason is simple: It’s a licensed series.

Every car needs to have a ton of reference data so that the car models are accurate (I believe the teams send CAD models), the liveries are accurate, the race suits, helmets, team wear, trackside signage, new drivers have their faces scanned etc.

Given how highly confidential the sport is that data likely doesn’t get to Codemasters until around the time the teams reveal their cars, so there’s a lot of work to be done before they make it into a game.

This is also why F2 didn’t come until December last year, they didn’t start racing until July.

Last edited:
I don’t really see how you can fault Codies for not having the updated Australia circuit considering the original plan was to do the changes after the race’s original date. They are only racing on the new layout this year because the date was pushed back.

There is only so much you can do when last minute changes are made.

Man I wish Mugello, Nurburgring and Istanbul park come as dlc.

Seriously hope some machines from the 1950s to the 1970s.

I don’t really see how you can fault Codies for not having the updated Australia circuit considering the original plan was to do the changes after the race’s original date. They are only racing on the new layout this year because the date was pushed back.

There is only so much you can do when last minute changes are made.

I agree with Australia, that would be tought to do.

Last edited:
I'm all for iconic drivers but why on earth would someone would want to use them in My Team as their avatar I've no idea.

It's amazing that after all this time they've still not got classic content that's better than f1 2013. Surely they now have the financial clout for all (or most) the licenses and actually can create some proper classic content ie. old seasons/scenarios.

And yes, whilst I understand the difficulty of introducing new tracks and implementing the AI around them, not having 3 tracks on the calendar at the release date of the game is comical.

Why bother getting this at release? First iteration since f1 2015 I won't be pre ordering for sure.

Last edited:
I'm all for iconic drivers but why on earth would someone would want to use them in My Team as their avatar I've no idea.

It's amazing that after all this time they've still not got classic content that's better than f1 2013. Surely they now have the financial clout for all (or most) the licenses and actually can create some proper classic content ie. old seasons/scenarios.

And yes, whilst I understand the difficulty of introducing new tracks and implementing the AI around them, not having 3 tracks on the calendar at the release date of the game is comical.

Why bother getting this at release? First iteration since f1 2015 I won't be pre ordering for sure.

I believe the other classic tracks would be Hockenheimring or Sepang International Circuit , they can just copy and paste them from previous games.
Still, it's definitely ODD to not have those 3 new tracks at launch.

The last one I bought was f2017 and liked it. I will get this one as well.
After checking my games I have F1 2019 so I will wait and see if the upgrade is necessary.
Oops, after clicking on it I found out that it is just a trial...
I will be waiting for this game to come down on price and I will get it.

Last edited:
Back