F1 Game Development License Rumors

• Thread starter icelt
  • 62 comments
If they usew the same team that Did the last game this may be good. But it being a 360 port from a possible chump developer team could be bad for PS3 owners(NASCAR08 anyone?).

If they usew the same team that Did the last game this may be good. But it being a 360 port from a possible chump developer team could be bad for PS3 owners(NASCAR08 anyone?).

Yeah Studio Liverpool got rid of those 50 employees earlier this year, so I suppose there's a good chance that at least a few of those people were deeply involved with F1:CE. I guess the best hope we have is that the best of those firees got picked up by EA. Seems kinda a faint hope though.

this is a disaster will it even be as good as CE?
And they'll throw it together really quickly so as it is out before next season.
Although at least we are getting one!

The SUN......... about as reliable as ZOO and NUTS!

If this is true its a SAD SAD day... I bought F1 2001 courtesy of EA and oh man was it horrible!

Why cant Studio Liverpool keep doing it, F1CE was really good and they could do even more wonders with another game!

Oh well if its EA, no taping into PS3 power there... higher price (because not first party) and a ****ty 360 port...

Robin

EDIT - Reading the article it may not be for the official F1 license... it may be one of these private racing games... like Lewis Hamilton Pro Racing Championship or something! :lol:

About as reliable as using a sieve for a contraceptive.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement right there.

The SUN......... about as reliable as ZOO and NUTS!

If this is true its a SAD SAD day... I bought F1 2001 courtesy of EA and oh man was it horrible!

Why cant Studio Liverpool keep doing it, F1CE was really good and they could do even more wonders with another game!

Oh well if its EA, no taping into PS3 power there... higher price (because not first party) and a ****ty 360 port...

Robin

EDIT - Reading the article it may not be for the official F1 license... it may be one of these private racing games... like Lewis Hamilton Pro Racing Championship or something! :lol:

You may be on to something there Robin.

British Formula 1 star rumoured to front new EA titles next year
Britain's Formula One rookie Lewis Hamilton, who almost won the championship with McLaren in his debut season this year, has been snapped up to front a new videogame title by EA Sports.

That's according to a report in UK tabloid The Sun, which reports the deal as worth an estimated GBP 5 million to Hamilton.

There is currently no indication that EA's investment will result in a specific F1 title however, as Sony currently holds the FIA license for its long-standing racing series, although the report does cite "Xbox and PlayStations" as the platforms.

Like you noted they do some goofy stuff over there, maybe we will see a new F1 fantasy racing series similar to NFL Street :rolleyes:

Well i hope they could join 07 and 08 in the next F1 season. If the game will be about F1 though...

icelt
Like you noted they do some goofy stuff over there, maybe we will see a new F1 fantasy racing series similar to NFL Street

Yeah, it could be any time of motorsport oriented game, maybe you follow his life going from carting then upwards through the various classes to F1... they could have unbranded F1 clone cars like in GT or maybe just mercedes will feature seeing as he has been under that team since about 11 or something! Basically follow in his footsteps in as you said a fantasy racing series...

"F1 Street" :lol:

Brilliant Idea!! :lol:..... like that film Driven where they race on city streets in F1 (the american equivalent) cars. Would be like Formula 1 Underground... NOS up that V10!!! and start dodging the traffic! :lol:

Robin

Brilliant Idea!! :lol:..... like that film Driven where they race on city streets in F1 (the american equivalent) cars. Would be like Formula 1 Underground... NOS up that V10!!! and start dodging the traffic! :lol:
Ack! I hope not, although that was just one scene where they were at some kind of show and stole the display cars.

If this does turn out to be the next F1 game I doubt I will be getting it. I have basically sworn off anything made by EA Sports. I would swear off all EA, but I figure I will end up buying Spore.

Doesnt sony hold the FIA license until 2010? I dont think sony would allow EA one of their biggest rivals to use the license

Shocking news of the day:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=94315
EA Sports' global marketing boss Todd Sitrin has said that the division is currently working on two new, unannounced intellectual properties, GamesIndustry.biz reports.

In January this year, EA Sports unveiled Facebreaker, a new boxing title in development at EA Canada.

"We actually have three new original IPs in development, the only one that's been announced is Facebreaker, we haven't done an original IP at EA for several years, not since back to Freekstyle," Sitrin told geekpulp.

EA Sports consistently turns out the best-selling sports franchises in the business, with Tiger Woods, FIFA, and Madden titles a regular fixture in the charts in Europe and North America.

Former Microsoft exec Peter Moore joined EA Sports as president last July. In his most recent blog post, Moore addressed the rumour that EA Sports might pick up the license to Formula One, stating that although he is a big fan of the sport, the licence just isn't available.

"The excitement that Lewis Hamilton has brought to the sport, and its vast global appeal, make it an appealing game licence, but as of right now it is not available," he detailed.

"Maybe in a few years the situation will change, but until then we fully respect the rights held by our partners at Sony."

WAHHHHHHHH:eek: So where the hell is our F1-2007 or 2008?! :confused:

However is thesun reliable?
It was The Sun that reported the production crew of the new James Bond film was not only in mortal danger from riots in Panama, but that they actually started them.

So no. They're about as reliable as Williams' 2006 car.

Shocking news of the day:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=94315

WAHHHHHHHH:eek: So where the hell is our F1-2007 or 2008?! :confused:

You could argue that F1CE was their F1 lanch of 2007 so maybe they are just going to skip 2007 and release a 2008 one. But who is going to make it didnt Sony make Studio Liverpool develope Wipeout HD. Also those rumors a while ago didnt just appear, theres no smoke without fire, so maybe Moore is just keeping it quiet, maybe he wants us to get angry with Sony for not releasing a 2007 title, he did work for MS.

Guy "Who is in The Know" told me yesterday that due to licencing issues with FIA, production (manufacturing) of F1: Champion Edition game has had to be stopped on 31st December '07.

It could mean two things - or they do not have the licence at all, or that they are not allowed to produce (and therefore ship to retail) game with '06 season details.

I have checked on few sides, and nobodyy knows what the real situation is. So, for now we'll have to play inside the grey zone.

so if EA doesn't have the license and Sony doesn't then who the hell does ? I'm totally confused about this .... we should send something to the FIA complaining about this, the most exciting season ever and it has no game , and maybe no 2008 version :(

Well, here's my two cents on possible scenario:

Activision has the rights. They've bought it from FIA prior to buying Bizzare Creations, and Bizzare was suppose to make a new F1 game to go multiplatform - because FIA didn't get enough revenue from last F1 title being only PS3 exclusive due to not-so-great sales when comapred to PS2 games (few million consoles at the time comapred to 100+ million PS2).

But hen came the 2007 season. And "Case McLaren" among other things. And in order to give green light for producing a licenced game, FIA also have to have green light from all the teams in the Circuis. Which is somehow a problem.

Because Ferrari could object about McLaren being equal to them from known reasons, Renault can mourn about Alonso, Alonso can mourn about McLaren and game with 2007 data is very much complicated in the start. Not even to mention famous "Ea-hamilton" deal.

Also notice that in 2007 all teams has signed new deals with FIA and we do not know nothing about the "game licencing" parts.

Last but not least - tobacco. Many tracks/Grand Prix are now absent because those goverments didn't allow advertising of tobacco products. But - some other venues in calendar allow tobacco to be advertised. Question for million dollars is: What the Bahrain Track Goverment Body has to say for whole "licencing deal" if no tobacco producers - who are track sponsors in real life - can't be in the game? And game should be "licenced"? Same goes for Ferrari cars on Bahrain or Shangai, for example.

Many problems there.

So, this is pretty much very complicated situation due to complicated business nature of the whole F1 deal.

Another scenario - Sony still has the rights, but now not to make a standalone F1 game, but to give it inside Gran Turismo series as a separate venue inside the whole game, as the "Formula" class already is since the GT3.

Last scenario seems most plausible to me - IF Sony still HAS rights for F1 - since they could sell more copies of Gran Turismo games with F1 cars/tracks in (and with propper marketing) then standalone F1 games - in order to secure amount of money needed for FIA's licence.

Sadly even when the FIA asks us for an opinion they seldom if ever use the input. Plus if you watch carefully the rules and their application, it is obvious that the FIA observes, interprets, and then explains why they didn't follow the rules they've published.

Schumacher's Undertray at Belgium, Barge Boards at Maylaysia, Barrichello wins and fines at A1 ring, Mass damper good then, no good because ferrari couldn't make theirs work, Fines for MCLaren with yet unpublished documents or due process. Clear as mud don't you think, huh!

Do even get me started on Le Mans rules about corner cutting where Aston Martin got a three minute penalty for a curb brush and Peskyrolos 4 wheels off drew not mention!

Cheers
French legal system aside, don't go to jail in New Orleans, is all I can say!

Interesting thoughts guys, but I'm still just boggled. I mean based on all that I've read over the past 6 months or so it sounded like it was basically common knowledge that Sony was passing on the license effective midnight 12/31/07 (or thereabouts). Also we know that SL let go like 50 people right before these whole license rumors surfaced. Seems pretty damning right?

So now this little bomb by PM and EA. Just dudn't make sense.

Also it was my understating that Formula One Management (FOM), and not the FIA, that was responsible for marketing, advertising, brand licensing and the like. However I'm not certain exactly how this makes a difference regarding this confusing situation.

Also it was my understating that Formula One Management (FOM), and not the FIA, that was responsible for marketing, advertising, brand licensing and the like. However I'm not certain exactly how this makes a difference regarding this confusing situation.

You're 100% right there, FOM is the govermental body for all regarding F1, but since it's endorsed by FIA - and F1 games are always coptrighted by FIA and FOM - I used "FIA" in order to prevent already growing confusion here. There are few other companies involved in this "games licenceing" deal, such as: Formula One Administration (FOM is part of FOA) and Formula One Licensing BV (usage of F! trademarks and such). However, you're right though, FOM has all the commercial rights, for F1 World Championship - while FIA remains the body under whole F1 WC is being opperated.

Very confusional, but at the end Bernie remains Tha King of them All :D

With the news of the inclusion of the Ferrari F2007 in GT5P does this mean that Sony does still have the license & that Sony will be putting out a F1 game or will PD have a standalone F1 game or include it in GT5?

i just think that i would like to try a F1 car in GT5P before deciding if i want PD making a whole F1 game either within GT or standalone, if they can do it right, then it would really be cool if they included an F1 game in GT5, either as a whole career or a season or single races...whatever...it would even be cool if they made the next F1 game but they have a ****load of work to do!

i just think that i would like to try a F1 car in GT5P before deciding if i want PD making a whole F1 game either within GT or standalone, if they can do it right, then it would really be cool if they included an F1 game in GT5, either as a whole career or a season or single races...whatever...it would even be cool if they made the next F1 game but they have a ****load of work to do!
Wouldn't it just be GT5 with the relevant tracks and adding the cars?

If you ask me it sounds like once GT5 is done a huge foundation will be laid out, kind of like Tourist Trophy was mainly GT4 with bikes.

You have ask yourself whether the F12007 is in GT5P as a result of the F1 license or the Ferrari license because it may well be the only F1 car in the game folks..

Robin

Back