F1 TV coverage threadFormula 1 

I've really got used to viewing just the odd live race now and watching highlights on C4. So much so that if a European race is on live on C4 I'll record it and do other jobs on a Sunday afternoon and avoid the news. Same with quali, I like to sit down with my meal early Saturday evening and go out in the afternoon.

With more non European races being added this makes it even more easier to not watch live.

I will admit I've accidently clicked on the BBC sometimes and spoiled a quali session and even the football pages if you scroll down enough you see F1 links.

With F1 going to Sky I've been trained into a teatime early evening viewer and have no care to watch a live stream or SD satellite channel such as RTL and incentive subbing to Sky is low as ever.

I've really got used to viewing just the odd live race now and watching highlights on C4. So much so that if a European race is on live on C4 I'll record it and do other jobs on a Sunday afternoon and avoid the news. Same with quali, I like to sit down with my meal early Saturday evening and go out in the afternoon.

With more non European races being added this makes it even more easier to not watch live.

I will admit I've accidently clicked on the BBC sometimes and spoiled a quali session and even the football pages if you scroll down enough you see F1 links.

With F1 going to Sky I've been trained into a teatime early evening viewer and have no care to watch a live stream or SD satellite channel such as RTL and incentive subbing to Sky is low as ever.

Much the same here mate.

I couldn't help noticing in the back of the sports pages today, but C4 seem to be crowing over the fact that the Monaco GP is now on their list of live races for '17... even though nearly anyone who's watched F1 over the past few years would say that barring rain, it's one of the most tedious to watch on the whole calendar.

Bang on mate. I was really happy that Monaco was one of the highlights because it is so boring it is shocking. The only ones I want live are Malaysia, China, Belgium, Italy, Britain, America, Brazil and Abu Dhabi. All of the others are pants.

When it comes to races I will try and watch most of the live ones live (Channel 4 like the BBC before it normally have good pre race features). But I'm the same with highlights I normally get round to watching them eventually unless I hear it was a dull race then I don't bother or skip through it sadly.

I wish this IndyCar-style OBC was used more. Skip to 0:21.

The T-cam has had its day. OBCs from the side of the cockpit looking forward always portrayed a greater sense of speed and reacted more to the bumps and knocks the car and driver receive.

The T-Cam is the best camera for everything, as you can actually see the whole track with the car in the middle, it's the best camera for actually watching the driver driving a lap.

That said, it sucks with a Halo. Maybe a new camera could be integrated into the halo.

I have heard nothing about sky f1 becoming fta. Sky have paid alot of money for exclusive coverage from 2019. Do you have a link ?

From what I can see, it doesn't mean Sky F1 being free-to-air

I've quoted you both in this thread as it's more on-topic here. As before I remembered incorrectly - the British GP has to be free-to-air, that's all.

Yeh, I can't see how Liberty can change things directly

Well, Chase Carey has only ever worked for Murdoch companies (including being COO of News Corp for some time). Liberty are holders of News Corp so he still works for a Murdoch interest. I get the feeling that if he makes a particular recommendation to Murdoch he'll be listened to more than most.

With that said it seems Liberty favour a "30-70" free-to-air suggesting that "big" races would be free while viewers would have to pay for the rest.

Don't blame them. I doubt viewership for F1 is very large here. I sure wish some rich patron would start a proper racing channel stateside again.

Don't blame them. I doubt viewership for F1 is very large here. I sure wish some rich patron would start a proper racing channel stateside again.

From the wording of the release, it has more to do with the actions of the new owners—most likely starting their own streaming service to compete with the TV broadcasters.

And replacing NBC for F1 on American TV will be ESPN...

Yes, that's right - ESPN is going to bring back motorsports ever since they gave up NASCAR back to NBC...

(Does this mean will we see F1 races...on ABC?)

I didn't expect this to happen, but it's understandable (and Fox Sports isn't interested at the moment).

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/144733-espn-takes-over-us-tv-rights-for-f1

"ESPN has had a long commitment to motorsports..."

Not "has had," sweetheart...HAD. As in past tense. As in no longer does. Look no further than letting their NHRA and NASCAR deals lapse, the quality (or rather lack thereof) of their IndyCar broadcasts, and sacking basically all of their IndyCar on- and off-air crew.

This is Liberty's Sean Bratches doing his old coworkers at Disney a favor after NBC said no to a short-term deal (which is what Liberty wants because the launch of F1's own streaming platform is likely only a couple years away). Not sure who the big winner(s) of this move is, but the big losers are definitely the fans. 👎

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/144733-espn-takes-over-us-tv-rights-for-f1

"ESPN has had a long commitment to motorsports..."

Not "has had," sweetheart...HAD. As in past tense. As in no longer does. Look no further than letting their NHRA and NASCAR deals lapse, the quality (or rather lack thereof) of their IndyCar broadcasts, and sacking basically all of their IndyCar on- and off-air crew.

This is Liberty's Sean Bratches doing his old coworkers at Disney a favor after NBC said no to a short-term deal (which is what Liberty wants because the launch of F1's own streaming platform is likely only a couple years away). Not sure who the big winner(s) of this move is, but the big losers are definitely the fans. 👎
This is horrific. :banghead:

Nothing has been said, but judging by the early tone, the current announcing staff will not be kept on.

UPDATE: Diffey has confirmed he is remaining at NBC.

UPDATE 2: Hobbs calls it “the end of my 41-year run” on TV, so sounds like retirement.

Last edited:
Nothing has been said, but judging by the early tone, the current announcing staff will not be kept on.

Word is it'll be Sky Sports' David Croft and Martin Brundle in the booth, as apparently they'll be the FOM-provided default for all English language broadcasters without their own commentary personnel. I'm guessing there will be somebody from ESPN to "host" (i.e. intro the broadcast and transition into and out of commercial breaks).

Oh wait... ABC also has Indycar...so is it possible to have a Monaco-Indy 500 doubleheader on ABC (if the Monaco GP is held on the same Sunday as the Indy 500)???

Oh wait... ABC also has Indycar...so is it possible to have a Monaco-Indy 500 doubleheader on ABC (if the Monaco GP is held on the same Sunday as the Indy 500)???
Indycar hasn't decided the new TV deal, and now it's probably gonna be 100% NBC. I doubt they'll be resigning ABC/ESPN.

The schedule includes a post-500 re-air of Monaco

UPDATE: Diffey has confirmed he is remaining at NBC.

UPDATE 2: Hobbs calls it “the end of my 41-year run” on TV, so sounds like retirement.

I've always loved having David Hobbs on the telecast. Everytime I see an engine let go from now on I'll still call it a "KERBLAMMO!!" or see all of the built up rubber offline and call it "klagg".

This is absolute trash. Hobbs isn't switching over and evidently neither is Diffey.

So I'm either going to be scoffing up hairballs every time someone talks, or mute the entire race. I don't like the sound of this at all.

It would be better if you guys just get the full Sky Coverage like we get in Australia(including practice and pre qual and pre race)

Atleast this way you get half decent commentary even if it's british bias.

I hope ESPN doesn't make it a habit of cutting into F1 programming for breaking news about other sports and moving the broadcast to another channel it's in family of networks
The last time I remember an F1 broadcast being cut on NBC was the Sunday after the Pulse Night Club shooting. The Canadian Grand Prix was to air on NBC but was moved to NBCSN because NBC was covering that incident.

So basically it’s a bargain-basement presentation, with ESPN spending next to nothing on rights and talent.

Not necessarily... Liberty media sell TV. The Sky commentary is pretty good and all viewers srr the same feed from official sessions, you might like it ;)

This is absolute trash. Hobbs isn't switching over and evidently neither is Diffey.

So I'm either going to be scoffing up hairballs every time someone talks, or mute the entire race. I don't like the sound of this at all.

Same.

Only somewhat decent bit is apparently (from what I hear at least), we look to be getting commentary from sky Sports so hopefully we're spared from the Greg Cremers and Eddie Cheevers (as well as the American "Hello dumb ass, let us tell what this is for the millionth time" Epidemic)

Is it confirmed Hobbs and Matchett won't be brought on? They really help to bring a regular person into the world of a Formula 1 team, with Hobbs having experience from the 60s/70s and Matchett being an engineer for many legendary drivers in the 90s.

Back