Fan art or commercial use ?

Nice work, by the way.

I would argue that a handful of small, free samples to your friends or for personal use, isn't likely going to get you in trouble. So as long as you don't advertise it, nor to use it for promotion (social media, for example). I'm not a legal expert, but that would seem to be okay. One can make copies of a visual medium solely for one's own use without fear of retribution or legal action.

I think that vehicles (and the like) publicly-visible tend to be seen as okay to copy without fear of copyright, but logos, devices, and people are not; they're protected in some degree. In some countries, still works of art, public structures, or buildings are also not permitted to be copied.

There's all sorts of gray areas with logos and whether they constitute a major part of the artwork or not, or used in a way that promotes the object in question. But you could parody a logo in some jurisdictions and so as long as you're not disparaging them or using it to deceive, it's kind of okay. Might want to start out with local club circuit teams or karting operations and see if they'd like you to make promotional material. Definitely get that in some sort of writing.

Perhaps companies found it to be too minimal to go after online racing liveries, and the financial gains/losses aren't worth the trouble after sweat-of-the-brow is factored in. But that's not my call, it's subject to change.

Last edited:
I've done "fan-art" posters for films for fun BUT other people have swiped my work and attempted to sell them for profit and many got away with it - for a while at least. It really can be down to how small the sales numbers are and/or who discovers it for sale.

I now work for a company that licenses the rights to films but there is the odd film that is caught up in licensing issues so a way to get around that is to produce original art (Done from scratch) inspired by the film but not to use any official logos associated with it.

Last edited:
Back