Fanatec BMW M4 GT3 Steering wheel

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 35 comments
Bulgaria
Bulgaria
2020_12_02_bmw_m4_gt3_videostill_8300__1_.jpg

https://bmw.fanatec.com/?utm_medium...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet

Last edited:
You can see in this picture the new Podium QR2 and unknown wheel base:

129594356_2811483169108053_2318144512406564498_o.jpg
We now know what this unknown wheelbase is, don't we? :D

Those wheels look so good but it is it worth it just to play racing games? For some it is but not for me though.

Last edited:
Those wheels look so good but it is it worth it just to play racing games? For some it is but not for me though
I can remember reading somewhere that the cost for this new wheel was going to be somewhere in the $1400-$1600 range just for the wheel, no wheelbase in that pricing tier.

Way above what I would even remotely consider for my personal game controller expenditures.

I can remember when the DD1/Formula Playstation bundle was released with its $1799 price tag, considered it for about 30 seconds then decided maybe at $1399-$1499 but no way at $1800.
I like decent things but I play games to have fun and I can do that very well with CSL and Clubsport level gear and at my ability level really do not think I am leaving a lot and actually anything on the table because of my gear quality choices.

I think a price >$1000 would be not approachable for 95% of sim racers. But, maybe that's the idea.

Last edited:
I can remember reading somewhere that the cost for this new wheel was going to be somewhere in the $1400-$1600 range just for the wheel, no wheelbase in that pricing tier.

Way above what I would even remotely consider for my personal game controller expenditures.

I can remember when the DD1/Formula Playstation bundle was released with its $1799 price tag, considered it for about 30 seconds then decided maybe at $1399-$1499 but no way at $1800.
I like decent things but I play games to have fun and I can do that very well with CSL and Clubsport level gear and at my ability level really do not think I am leaving a lot and actually anything on the table because of my gear quality choices.
i bought one F1 Podium unit in march for 1.799 Euro and i am still fully satiesfied! :D

substract the F1 wheel with APM from the base and you are not far off the regular DD1 PC base price! ..if there is any difference at all!

i bought one F1 Podium unit in march for 1.799 Euro and i am still fully satiesfied! :D

substract the F1 wheel with APM from the base and you are not far off the regular DD1 PC base price! ..if there is any difference at all!

I think when I was comparing the Sony specific DD1/ Formula bundle compared to the regular non Sony specific DD1/standard F1 wheel bundle came out to be a $150 higher for the Sony specified unit over the basic same option in a non Sony configuration. $1649 as compared to $1799.

I just do not think the formula wheel at over its $500 price point is a very good value but of course that is subjective to personal likes and opinion.
At least with the non Sony wheelbase dd1 the customer does have the option for other wheels which is not the case for the Sony PS version.

Glad you are enjoying yours though! They do seem like nice units just a little higher priced than I care to invest.
I am taking the slumming route and pre ordered the CSL DD 8nm unit.

Last edited:
I think when I was comparing the Sony specific DD1/ Formula bundle compared to the regular non Sony specific DD1/standard F1 wheel bundle came out to be a $150 higher for the Sony specified unit over the basic same option in a non Sony configuration. $1649 as compared to $1799.

I just do not think the formula wheel at over its $500 price point is a very good value but of course that is subjective to personal likes and opinion.
At least with the non Sony wheelbase dd1 the customer does have the option for other wheels which is not the case for the Sony PS version.

Glad you are enjoying yours though! They do seem like nice units just a little higher priced than I care to invest.
I am taking the slumming route and pre ordered the CSL DD 8nm unit.
I do understand you, mate!
It is a lot of money for a game controller. The whole fanatec price system ain’t cheap, but so is their quality of products, imo! Never I thought about the price tag again when racing the last few weeks.

I agree, wish they’d offer the PS DD separately to be configured with a wheel of choice.
If I was on PC and wanted a wheel I’d go for the new CSL DD 8nm as well! What pedals you wanna get? What wheel is looking good to you?

see, I was planning to get the CSL Elite when my hunger for sim racing arose back in January this year. Planning to spend around 900 for a set of base, wheel and pedals, I had a rough plan of spending around 1.500 Euro for the whole shabang. The bundle wasn’t in stock for weeks and my Cockpit build nearly done… so I had enough, I only live once, speeded the money and was happy when the wheel arrived.
It sure was the planning of a passionate rookie driver but still it was bad planning, I have to admit.
I stopped counting the euros then… I know what I invested, don’t make me say it! :lol:

Edit: have you seen the new Fanatec M4 wheel?! Holy cow! :bowdown:it’s so easy to get hooked and fall in love with all those sim racing products available in 2021 (when they are in stock). It’s crazy. Crazy good. Call me addicted!

Last edited:
I think, outside of Fanatec, only BMW factory drivers have put hands on the rim. Fanatec are probably obligated to produce rims for RL cars first, then produce the sim rims for sale. Just my assumption.

If I was on PC and wanted a wheel I’d go for the new CSL DD 8nm as well! What pedals you wanna get? What wheel is looking good to you?
I already have the v.3 pedals and will use the McLaren gt3 wheel I already own as well.

M4 wheel way out of my league. At least you will not feel the need to upgrade with the DD1 that will help with the amount of money spent over the long haul. Main thing is enjoying what you have and having fun for you!

Last edited:
I already have the v.3 pedals and will use the McLaren gt3 wheel I already own as well.
Alright. Got the V3‘s myself.
Reg. the wheel: Are you ok with the shifter pedals being one unit?! I think i like them better when separated but I did not have my hands on the McLaren wheel yet.

Last edited:
Alright. Got the V3‘s myself.
Reg. the wheel: Are you ok with the shifter pedals being one unit?! I think i like them better when separated but I did not have my hands on the McLaren wheel yet.
Yes I have both the v1 version of the wheel and bought the v.2 version when it came out as I like the wheel to the point of wanting a backup.
I do use the v.2 version since it has the magnetic shifters but my v.1 version which is now a backup still works like new.

Yes I have both the v1 version of the wheel and bought the v.2 version when it came out as I like the wheel to the point of wanting a backup.
I do use the v.2 version since it has the magnetic shifters but my v.1 version which is now a backup still works like new.
Oh yes, I fell in love with those magnetic shifter on my APM! That click, that satisfying feeling EVERY time I click them!
Had a T300 years ago so that’s my comparison wheel.
On PS5 I had no chance yet of taking great use of the other 4 paddles.
So what i really would like to have is a GT3 wheel with good magnetic shifter and some 300mm in size. The Fanatec Porsche one is nice but Porsche has a new GT wheel now, more formula style and that one looks nice as well. Wish that was on the market die sim racing.

Let’s get back to topic. The M4 wheel will probably be a bit expensive for me too. But I like the design so damn much!!!

Last edited:
Fanatec is now offering a new Clubsport universal hub with the new CSPt mag shifters. You could add a d-shape or round rim to that.

Fanatec is now offering a new Clubsport universal hub with the new CSPt mag shifters. You could add a d-shape or round rim to that.
A new one?! I only know about the black one, also available for Xbox.
Can you please provide a link?

:lol: good job! @DomB_Fanatec

I know that one. But combining it with a rim is more expensive as getting a combo for 400 euro. I like the podium button plate endurance a lot. That one with a D shaped rim and magnetic shifter plus clubsport QR for 400 euro would be a dream come true. I guess.
Is the Clubsport QR attached to the hub you linked taking full advantage of all the DD1 F1 base horsepower?!

:lol: good job! @DomB_Fanatec

I know that one. But combining it with a rim is more expensive as getting a combo for 400 euro. I like the podium button plate endurance a lot. That one with a D shaped rim and magnetic shifter plus clubsport QR for 400 euro would be a dream come true. I guess.
Is the Clubsport QR attached to the hub you linked taking full advantage of all the DD1 F1 base horsepower?!

You could just get the Clubsport 911r GT3 package. It uses the new V2 hub.

You could just get the Clubsport 911r GT3 package. It uses the new V2 hub.
That’s right. Cheaper than the Podium version.
Guess this early into sim racing, 400 is my sweet spot at the moment. That might change. :lol:

I like the podium button plate endurance a lot. That one with a D shaped rim and magnetic shifter plus clubsport QR for 400 euro would be a dream come true. I guess.
The podium endurance button box when paired with the clubsport universal mount they show a couple of pictures of that combo together on the web site and the way it looks to me the function buttons on top of the universal hub are partly blocked by the overhang of the podium endurance box when attached together which seems would disable or prevent access to some of the function adjustments on the hub.

This would be one area I need need clarified if that was indeed an issue before I bought those two units to pair together.

2021_06_01_CSL_UHX_P_BME_Detail_07_200x200.jpg

Last edited:
The podium endurance button box when paired with the clubsport universal mount they show a couple of pictures of that combo together on the web site and the way it looks to me the function buttons on top of the universal hub are partly blocked by the overhang of the podium endurance box when attached together which seems would disable or prevent access to some of the function adjustments on the hub.

This would be one area I need need clarified if that was indeed an issue before I bought those two units to pair together.

2021_06_01_CSL_UHX_P_BME_Detail_07_200x200.jpg
good spot mate! thank you.

i dont like the buttons on the top of the hub too much. its looks "old days", like a gaming controller... and compared to the integrated one button option in the F1 Podium wheel (using the MFS)... na, i dont think i can go back to that level of "quality". i hope you get me.
well, guess i have to go the podium route as long as i am on PS.

good spot mate! thank you.

i dont like the buttons on the top of the hub too much. its looks "old days", like a gaming controller... and compared to the integrated one button option in the F1 Podium wheel (using the MFS)... na, i dont think i can go back to that level of "quality". i hope you get me.
well, guess i have to go the podium route as long as i am on PS.
I actually do not have a problem with the buttons and led readout on the top of the universal hub to access and go through an adjustment or set up menu as for me the ease of accessing those menus even while in game overrides anything to do with looks.

Like the next guy I appreciate a nice professional looking attractive product but I have learned that basically what is more important is the functionality and what one option may do better on that front than a different choice even if the one that works better does not look quite as fancy.

Overall though I do like the looks of the Podium endurance box with some wheel options but realistically the changeable position and even location of the modules on the universal hub really do make it a more versatile and configurable option and even at a lower price point and using that reasoning I have started looking at the clubsport hub from a different perspective than my original assessment of the product.

I actually do not have a problem with the buttons and led readout on the top of the universal hub to access and go through an adjustment or set up menu as for me the ease of accessing those menus even while in game overrides anything to do with looks.

Like the next guy I appreciate a nice professional looking attractive product but I have learned that basically what is more important is the functionality and what one option may do better on that front than a different choice even if the one that works better does not look quite as fancy.

Overall though I do like the looks of the Podium endurance box with some wheel options but realistically the changeable position and even location of the modules on the universal hub really do make it a more versatile and configurable option and even at a lower price point and using that reasoning I have started looking at the clubsport hub from a different perspective than my original assessment of the product.
well written mate, thank you!
i'll have a thought or 2 about it! appreciate your input!

@VFOURMAX1 @PRO_TOO when you combine the Podium button module endurance with the V2 clubsport hub, the PBME is sufficient for all menu access and game functionality. Unfortunately, PS doesn’t take advantage of the LED readout to the extent for which it was designed. Used with PS, it goes into legacy mode and only shows speed (and flashes gear number momentarily after gear shift). Hope this brings something new to the conversation.

Back