Fanatec CSL DD: Entry Level, $350 Direct Drive Wheel

Also I hope the youtube reviews don't miss this it.
A PS version is in the works. I hope he means a PS5 version.
Fanatec will most likely be forced by Sony to include a wheel with the PS5 version, so expect the extra cost of a wheel plus the cost of the PS chip.

Starting to feel like by the time you've bought the base, wheel, the new pedals + brake load cell upgrade and the uprated power supply this isn't really going to be any cheaper than other DD wheels - at least not significantly so ?

It'd be interesting to know the cost difference between the standard PSU and the uprated one, my guess is its very low and the upgrades are being used to claw the money back.

I guess if you are happy with the standard set up (i.e. 5mn / no load cell) then fair enough, you just have to be aware that you aren't necessarily getting a fully fledged DD / top end set up.

I mean, it’ll still be significantly cheaper when you factor in even with the 180watt psu, it’ll still be half the price of the DD1, and as many users say, who really needs 15nm plus in their sim racing wheel? So it’s good to have the option. Just think marketing have failed on how they’ve gone about pricing.

The 8nm psu is surely worth around half what Fanatec are charging (retail). They’d have been better off charging €399 for the base model. Still would’ve had that all important 3 at the beginning to get all the “DD base under €400” headlines, but without such a ridiculous mark up if you wanted to upgrade to the more powerful PSU. €80 is much easier to swallow on a €50-€60 PSU than €130! As can be seen, it’s peeing off a lot of potential customers.

Glad you can buy WITH the enhanced PSU rather than only as an upgrade - the latter would have resulted in tens of thousands of PSUs going straight into landfill.

Last edited:
Also I hope the youtube reviews don't miss this it.

Fanatec will most likely be forced by Sony to include a wheel with the PS5 version, so expect the extra cost of a wheel plus the cost of the PS chip.

Yeah, that definitely a possibility. Probably why it's not been released yet. Endor and Sony are probably still in negotiations. Expect a PS version to cost at least $150us more.

Yeah, that definitely a possibility. Probably why it's not been released yet. Endor and Sony are probably still in negotiations. Expect a PS version to cost at least $150us more.
Sony has always required any wheelbase to include a wheel so far to be licensed to work as a plug n play unit for Playstation.

By the time you figure adding the chip in the wheelbase for the Sony compatibility plus a wheel being included with Playstation exclusive oriented buttons for a 5nm unit you will probably be looking at $599- $649 or so ,no pedals included.

Figuring 349 for the base, 100 for the Sony Chip and 150- 200 for the wheel. Add another 130 if you want the 8nm package. This would be my guess looking at past pricing for PS versus standard non PS units.

It makes no sense that Sony could not just allow the compatibility chip to just be in the wheel like X=BOX rather than the wheelbase. They alienate a lot of Fanatec wheel owners from buying a PS5 I am sure with that policy.

The difference between CSL Elite base V1.1(without Sony Chip) and CSL Elite base +(with Sony Chip) was 50 Euro.
I think when I bought my PS4 compatible CSL Elite bundle here in the U.S. I think it was about $100 more than the comparable Xbox/PC bundle.
When I bought mine the only way you could get a ps4 version was a complete bundle package. You could not buy a PS4 compatible wheelbase separate.

If I ever upgrade or change to a different wheel base I will not pay extra for that wheelbase to work on a Sony product again. I still have an old pre g29 Logitech wheelbase that still worked fine and I had to upgrade the wheel when moving from a PS2 to a PS3 as Sony made the old wheels incompatible with the ps3.
There actually was no reason for Sony to make that a requirement other than a cash grab for licensing fees. That makes 3 times I have bought PS compatible units.

I have no problem with Sony requiring a licensed wheel like x box does but by making the wheelbase instead of the wheel the licensing option you make future switching to a Playstation impossible unless you totally replace the heart of the system, the wheelbase or pay extra up front in case you may ever want to use it on a Sony product in the future.

Many of Sony's practices have turned me off on Sony products. The same way as requiring a subscription service to play any Playstation game online. They charge you for the console, they seriously limit the periphials you can use with the system, (check the approved list for a hotas flight controller compatible with PS) they charge on average $70 or so for a new ps5 game and then you still have to have a monthly subscription service to play the game online.

As of right now I have no plans on buying a PS5 and I have owned every generation from 1-4. I think I have just gotten over Sony being so controlling and limiting the options of even what controller I can use unless they get money off of that choice as well.

After watching the video's from Boosted Media and from Chris this really seems like it will be a good product for those that currently are using perhaps a CSL belt drive or lesser unit from another manufacturer and wants to experience the smoothness,fidelity and response times of a direct drive offering at an affordable price point.

No it is not on the same level as the DD1, DD2 or Sim Cube offerings but neither is its price point even at the 8nm level. But for casual racers or even the more serious but with a limited budget this does look like the ticket to a nice upgrade.

I still think that Fanatec is not allowing enough of a reduction in price for the initial purchase buyers that are opting for the better power supply instead of just going ahead and paying the extra $20 and taking both the 5nm and 8nm power supplies rather than letting Fanatec keep the 5 nm unit for only a $20 allowance.

Initially I had absolutely no intention of upgrading but since I have made numerous purchases from Fanatec in the past in the form of a wheelbase, several wheels and a couple of pedal sets and all I will add due to upgrading and not from any problems or failures at all and should hopefully qualify for the first wave I am currently planning to go ahead and upgrade again to the new CSL DD including a boost kit power supply.

I usually wait for a product to be released for a while before I jump on a bandwagon but honestly I have never bought anything from Fanatec thus far I have not been pleased with the product at the price point I have paid.

I wonder when these production units will actually begin shipping?

Based on the previews I'll stick to my CSW 2.5 for now.
Might consider upgrading if something like a CSW DD comes out. There is certainly room in Fanatec's product range for that.

Last edited:
Based on the previews I'll stick to my CSW 2.5 for now.
Might consider upgrading if something like a CSW DD comes out. There is certainly room in Fanatec's product range for that.
DSL DD with the boost kit is is $479.
DD1 is $1199.
DD1 is $1499.

So I guess there is a room for another wheelbase if maybe they split the difference around the $800 mark but that would be a big step up from the CSW v2.5 that sold for $549.

Last edited:
So I guess there is a room for another wheelbase if maybe they split the difference around the $800 mark but that would be a big step up from the CSW v2.5 that sold for $549.
But if they made a Clubsport DD with say around a 12nm power output to fill that gap then being DD and 12nm of torque would actually more than justify the price increase.
You have to remember they are actually basically saying that the new 8-nm CSL elite dd is pretty much the CSW v2.5 equal but with better fidelity and fine detail response at a lesser price point.

Basically Fanatec has to worry more about not making a Clubsport dd so good and at a cheaper price point where it kills the sales of the higher end Podium products.
I would guess that a Clubsport would sort of replace a DD1 offering and the podium series will be more the current DD2 offering only

Last edited:
Well so far this dd "pre order" has not been much different than any other recent new product launch. Got the e-mail from Fanatac about 70 minutes ago and have been trying to get on the U.S.A. web site and sign in to place the order and either the web site says internal server error or it will let me onto the account sign in page and then say cannot assign information to a user.
Cannot access the web site to do the pre order.

Considering that I actually just signed into my Fanatec account less than 24 hours ago I do know my information to sign in is correct.

Will keep trying for a bit but if I am not successful shortly guess I will have to scrap the upgrade idea, really do not need to upgrade so not the end of the world, just keep the $500 in my account instead of theirs.

Last edited:
I was able to make pre-order. It took some time, so I made a sandwich and read a bit of Autoblog while I waited for the browser to reload the pages.

I ordered the 8nm setup.

Well so far this dd "pre order" has not been much different than any other recent new product launch. Got the e-mail from Fanatac about 70 minutes ago and have been trying to get on the U.S.A. web site and sign in to place the order and either the web site says internal server error or it will let me onto the account sign in page and then say cannot assign information to a user.
Cannot access the web site to do the pre order.

Considering that I actually just signed into my Fanatec account less than 24 hours ago I do know my information to sign in is correct.

Will keep trying for a bit but if I am not successful shortly guess I will have to scrap the upgrade idea, really do not need to upgrade so not the end of the world, just keep the $500 in my account instead of theirs.

I'm at work and don't want to check my personal email from here but I logged into my account on the Fanatec website and didn't see any special offers. I guess you have to get that email to know if you qualify? I don't know if I would upgrade either but I would at least like to know what the offer is and how long it's good for.

Last edited:
Got the e-mail for European account, sold out already, happy to wait to see if a slightly higher end version comes along.
It is still available.
Make sure you are logged in to your Fanatec account on the correct region of the site.

Well I had some other things I needed to get done today so I left and did those and when I tried again to log into the Fanatec web site about 4 hours later everything went smooth and I got the pre order completed for the 8nm version.
I tried to order the base 5nm setup and then add in the $149 8nm power brick at full price but the system is not allowing the upgraded power brick to be ordered separately at this time, you can only order the complete system configured one way or the other.

No big deal at all and I still think the dd wheelbase at $500 is a good deal for a casual player that does not like a heavy feedback feel anyway.
Will just make my current CSL Elite wheelbase a backup along with the CSL Elite load cell pedals that are already regulated to spare backup duty.

Guess now would be a good time to put my Logitech g29 packed away in the original box on craigslist for a local sale and let someone perhaps just getting into the sim thing get a decently good deal on a nice not abused starter wheel and pedal set.

Watched all the vids. Impressive. I think I’m gonna wait for a bit to see what Barry has to say about it. Not to mention, I’m not sure my Playseat challenge can handle a DD.

I’m just curious to see if Fanatec is going to make a Podium set of pedals???

Well after thinking about it I’m going to wait for proper reviews,I’m having a hard time justifying the power pack pricing as i would need the 8nm version to make it worthwhile,If the inevitable Clubsport version comes out for around 800 euros i would be kicking myself for jumping in

I think I’m gonna wait for a bit to see what Barry has to say about it.
I really like Barry's reviews as he disassembles the products and really examines the components used and the build quality of the product. Really no one else does what he does on the Sim gear.

Well after thinking about it I’m going to wait for proper reviews,I’m having a hard time justifying the power pack pricing as i would need the 8nm version to make it worthwhile,If the inevitable Clubsport version comes out for around 800 euros i would be kicking myself for jumping in
I agree on the power pack pricing to a point but the end result is still the 8nm is roughly a 60% or so increase in the power output of the wheelbase motor over the 5nm cheaper unit and in the end how they limit that output whether through a plug in torque key in the base or just in the different power supply really does not matter when it comes to the end result.

I would almost be willing to bet that when a "Clubsport" version is released you will see the DD1discontinued and the Clubsport version will be between 12-15nm and be closer to the $900-$1000 range.

This would give them 2 lower budget CSL models, one midrange Clubsport model and then the one premium Podium offering. Much easier from a marketing and stocking merchandise with a few fewer models if you can still cover the price points and market targets you are aiming for.

I really do not see them trying to squeeze another new model between the price point of the CSL and the DD1 when they can sort of split the difference of the price by doing away with the DD1 and charging a bit more for the mid range clubsport.

Latest Posts

Back