Fanatec CSL DD: Entry Level, $350 Direct Drive Wheel

That's the stand I got. It'll handle a CSL DD with the BK180 just fine.

Exactly. Direct Drive or not, doesn't make a difference on what the wheel stand can withstand. What's important is the the torque. The CSWV2.5 can output 8nm, and it's just fine for the Classic wheel stand, according to the people at GT Omega. Then the Classic wheel stand is just fine for the CSL DD in either 5Nm or 8Nm.

CLASSIC Steering Wheel Stand | Sim Racing Stand | GT Omega Racing – GT Omega US

Click on "What's Supported" Left-most column towards the bottom.
I'm having to send my Fanatec V2 base, both the Universal Hub and the Formula V2 rims, back to Fanatec for repairs. I've been dealing with the base not wanting to come out of PC mode for several months now. It would take several times of powering off and on before it would go into Xbox mode, or when it was in PC mode the power switch won't turn the base off and I would have to unplug it. Sometimes changing rims back and forth would trigger it to Xbox mode. It's just been a huge pain in the neck for a long time. A few nights ago nothing worked. Could not get it out of PC mode at all.

Contacted Fanatec and after trying to update firmware etc. it still has the red ring of death. So everything is getting sent back tomorrow if I can get to the UPS store at lunch.

BUT. During our email chain I told the rep I am very interested in this new CSL DD unit but I wondered if the mounting points on the bottom of the CSL DD are the same as my V2 and I got the answer back this morning that they are so it will mount up to my GT Omega Classic stand the same way the V2 does.

Soooo..... I'm going to hop on this thing and order it. My question is 5nm or 8nm? Even though I might not ever use close to the 8nm get it anyway?

I wonder if we'll ever see third-party high wattage AC adapters for the CSL DD priced more realistically, vs at what the market will bear.

I expect they already exist but Fanatec will sternly say such usage will void the warranty. That’ll bring the next question. Don’t ask it . . .

one else notice that the Boost 180 PSU is the same as the one supplied with the CSL Elite and CSW 2.5 with a different plug?
Why re-invent the wheel (pardon the pun). They already have a well-made and tested PSU they can adapt to a new product. It might sound scummy to someone who doesn't work a business, but you don't get cheap DDs by re-inventing all the parts of it :)

i wouldnt risk a $600 device personally

i assume you get no wheel and pedals? what would be your choice to get going?

I personaly dont like 'non traditional' wheels ie. no elon musk F1 style knight rider things.

My original estimated shipping date was Sept 6th in the first wave. Fed x now has my package and with me being on the east coast my shipping arrival date is scheduled for Wed, August 25th.
I have been in the process of getting things together to totally redo my racing rig set up and although I pretty much have everything I need now with the delivery date moved up I am not sure I will have everything ready to go by then!

I am actually building a platform on ten 3" castors that will contain everything in one easy to move unit including monitor and mount, 5.1 channel surround sound speakers and receiver, (only the sub will be separate not on the platform) dedicated headphone amp, keyboard and mouse trays, computer tower and will be configured to easily switch over to a flight stick and throttle for flying games.

My thing is I basically only want to have to unplug the sub and a couple of power cords to wall (individual component power cords will be plugged into surge protectors mounted on the rig) to be able to easily move the entire rig with no fuss. I have all the materials but need to build the platform and time consuming will be the wiring to be neat and easy to service.

I will not be surprised if it will be next weekend before I have it all up and running. But it does look like shipping dates are running a couple of weeks ahead at least on the first batch.

Last edited:
I got my CSL DD, after many years with a CSR Elite.
This is my first DD, I was expecting a better wheel, but I was not expecting how much better this CSL DD feels.
The smoothness, the speed, the details are on a totally different level.
I choose to start with the 5nm, with the option later to go to 8nm, if I feel the need for it. So far, 5nm seems to be plenty, time will tell. To me, the main avantage of DD, is not to develop upper body musculation, but is a very smooth and detailed feeling inducing immersion. To me the DD brings an extra level of reality, that make simulating driving more believable.

Last edited:
This is my first DD, I was expecting a better wheel, but I was not expecting how much better this CSL DD feels.
I choose to start with the 5nm, with the option later to go to 8nm, if I feel the need for it. So far, 5nm seems to be plenty, time will tell. To me, the main avantage of DD, is not to develop upper body musculation, but is a very smooth and detailed feeling inducing immersion. To me the DD brings an extra level of reality, that make simulating driving more believable.
Remember to change your signature ;)

Anyone else having serious trouble getting on the Fanatec website?

For the past week or so on various browsers/devices I have tried logging in, and either the cart won't load, won't add items or the whole site 504s on login attempt. :(

Anyone else having serious trouble getting on the Fanatec website?

For the past week or so on various browsers/devices I have tried logging in, and either the cart won't load, won't add items or the whole site 504s on login attempt. :(
No problem for North America 🇺🇸 Fanatec website access.

Last edited:
NM

Last edited:
Since these are now rolling out into the wild. Can anyone confirm whether it works on a PS4 with a Drivehub?

It's in German but with subtitles

Cheers. Thanks a lot. I'm looking to make a transition to sim racing on pc but it will be a while before I have time and money to make the transition. Good to know I can allready upgrade to a DD on my PS4 in the mean time.

Cheers. Thanks a lot. I'm looking to make a transition to sim racing on pc but it will be a while before I have time and money to make the transition. Good to know I can allready upgrade to a DD on my PS4 in the mean time.
Alternatively you could wait a short while for the PS4/5 compatible version of the CSL DD to be released.

Mine finally arrived yesterday, well most of the order, UPS seem to have kept hold of the quick release for some reason :( it should turn up today. Really looking forward to getting it mounted to the rig and turning some laps! :D:D:D

Back