Fanatec Opens Limited Pre-Orders for New CSL Elite McLaren GT3 Wheel

Offering a promotion price (they stated it would likely go up) was in exchange for pre-paying and putting up with possible delays. It is not an excuse for false advertising. Why is this such a difficult concept? I am not ready to leave Fanatec as a customer, but if they screw up to make a few more dollars Im gonna say something, and so should you! Its not really a bargain price if its most distinguishing features dont actually work. I never said it was over priced, just sleazily marketed.
The problem is you are complaining to the wrong people about the wrong thing. What you should be asking Fanatec is if they can add software support to allow them to behave like rotary encoders for legacy support in games which don’t and won’t ever support them.

The fact none of them support rotary switches is the sim devs fault and you should be complaining to them asking why they don’t support them when positional rotary switches have been available in custom sim products for a long time already on PC. On the console side why would they add support for a control type that never existed before now?!

When new wheel bases get released they don’t automatically work on old titles, no the devs have to add support or the wheel manufacturer adds a compatibility mode which brings me back to my first point. Make a friendly suggestion instead of kicking off and they might be like oh that’s a good idea we didn’t think about it.

Those rotary encoders are not the main reason that all want this wheel...it is Mc Laren replica design, great size and even Xbox compatible! Racing titles will evolve very fast...btw one of the reason to do not work on all titles is that those titles see the Fanatec wheel, but don`t have implemented encoders in its profile.

Ya know, Krassi, it was driving me crazy your number of posts. I was thinking, "I know he has been around longer than the 11 to, as of now 33 posts, and I KNOW who this guy is!"

I thought I was honestly going nuts.

Then I found myself back on, I believe the ISR Forum, trying to verify the proper procedure for updating the Firmware on my V2.5 and there you were. Mystery solved!

You are good man in any forum, my friend!

Ya know, Krassi, it was driving me crazy your number of posts. I was thinking, "I know he has been around longer than the 11 to, as of now 33 posts, and I KNOW who this guy is!"

I thought I was honestly going nuts.

Then I found myself back on, I believe the ISR Forum, trying to verify the proper procedure for updating the Firmware on my V2.5 and there you were. Mystery solved!

You are good man in any forum, my friend!
Thank you for the kind words! I always want to help! - We bulgarians never leave people behind, you can see that in this forum with "super_gt" ! I am more "ISR" user - at least for now!;)

The problem is you are complaining to the wrong people about the wrong thing. What you should be asking Fanatec is if they can add software support to allow them to behave like rotary encoders for legacy support in games which don’t and won’t ever support them.

The fact none of them support rotary switches is the sim devs fault and you should be complaining to them asking why they don’t support them when positional rotary switches have been available in custom sim products for a long time already on PC. On the console side why would they add support for a control type that never existed before now?!

When new wheel bases get released they don’t automatically work on old titles, no the devs have to add support or the wheel manufacturer adds a compatibility mode which brings me back to my first point. Make a friendly suggestion instead of kicking off and they might be like oh that’s a good idea we didn’t think about it.
Anyone who doesn’t receive the functionality they were promised through no fault of their own reserves the right to “kick off” about that product. The reason I am kicking off in this forum is to make console owners aware that it is not in the advertising that they don’t currently work on consoles. And its ridiculous to expect everyone to know all the gory programming industry details of rotary switches, developers, and games.
So you are about the third person blaming this advertising omission on the developers. So let me get this straight. Every time I buy a wheel that is compatible with a PS4 liscensed wheelbase, I should expect a few unspecified switches on it not to work on delivery because developers haven’t thought of it yet, developed a game for it yet, or because I don’t currently use a PC? Is that pretty much it?

Anyone who doesn’t receive the functionality they were promised through no fault of their own reserves the right to “kick off” about that product. The reason I am kicking off in this forum is to make console owners aware that it is not in the advertising that they don’t currently work on consoles. And its ridiculous to expect everyone to know all the gory programming industry details of rotary switches, developers, and games.
So you are about the third person blaming this advertising omission on the developers. So let me get this straight. Every time I buy a wheel that is compatible with a PS4 liscensed wheelbase, I should expect a few unspecified switches on it not to work on delivery because developers haven’t thought of it yet, developed a game for it yet, or because I don’t currently use a PC? Is that pretty much it?
They do work on consoles though but no game uses positional rotary switches. Just like the handbrake only works in games that support an analog handbrake.

You are making a fuss about them not adding a little note in the platforms section for both to say mps only work in supported games. However how could it possibly be the most important feature for you and something you think is required and then you don’t read into it or see in the current controls why they wouldn’t work?!

What you are saying just seems crazy to me because to go back to the handbrake it’s like buying it for an F1 game and then complaining it’s not supported when you don’t even need to use it.

Switching to PC also won’t change anything when only one and the most expensive sim on PC have programmed in proper support for rotary switches.

I just found rotary encoders that always work!!!

pechka.jpeg

What you mean two more? I understand you give me just example... I can say that - I understood that I need to wait when I had CSLE PS4 Official licensed wheel and was not supported by GT Sport. I knew that is up to Poliphony to make it work. It is all related to devs - they have the magic power. Fanatec can`t have the control over the sims. The only possible thing for Fanatec is to make in the firmware option - for example rotary clockwise to be possible to be mapped as button from the rim and counter clockwise to other button from the rim ( to be usefull on a consoles). That`s it!
I mean that you already know the rotarys don’t work so I’ll throw in a few unexpected ones because according to several in here, you should be okay with that.
They do work on consoles though but no game uses positional rotary switches. Just like the handbrake only works in games that support an analog handbrake.

You are making a fuss about them not adding a little note in the platforms section for both to say mps only work in supported games. However how could it possibly be the most important feature for you and something you think is required and then you don’t read into it or see in the current controls why they wouldn’t work?!

What you are saying just seems crazy to me because to go back to the handbrake it’s like buying it for an F1 game and then complaining it’s not supported when you don’t even need to use it.

Switching to PC also won’t change anything when only one and the most expensive sim on PC have programmed in proper support for rotary switches.
When I was deciding to buy this wheel these questions were being asked but only a few people commented but weren’t sure because they are not official sources. That is why it is up to the manufacturer to disclose it. Manufacturers do this all the time to prevent this from happening. I think its called a disclaimer. Its really not a big deal. All those little asterisks and crosses you see at the bottom of an advertisement are there for the same reason. Why make such a fuss resisting the note? Why not just put it in there? It would remove all doubt for future buyers. When the support becomes available you take the note out. Not hard at all. Is it really that crazy for me to assume these swithes would work, and do you seriously think I’m the only one who’s going to make that assumption? Its not about me at this point. I now know way more about these switches than I ever wanted to know. Its about preventing others from making the same mistake. (If assuming all the features of something you buy are going to work properly can be considered a mistake)

I just found rotary encoders that always work!!!

View attachment 733729
Sweet! Then you got it home, all hooked up and two of them didn’t do anything at all! But you love Zanussi so much you are willing to overlook it. After all Zanussi said the encoders are designed for the power grid of the future and will begin working as soon as those darn power companies catch up and deliver that power that this range was designed for. Zanussis right. Its the power companies fault! They’re working on it!

T-GT's compatibility explained in Thrustmaster site:
GT mode on PS4™
• Only in GT Sport
- 2 mini-sticks and 4 rotary selectors + push buttons
- T-DFB
• Unique feature on PS4™: offering 25 action buttons

OTHER mode on PS4™
• All other PS4™ games

Last edited:
how could it possibly be the most important feature for you and something you think is required and then you don’t read into it or see in the current controls why they wouldnt work?
I had a TGT for a short time and assumed they might be directly connected to abs or tcs like those were. They didn’t require mapping. I thought it was the best feature of that wheel too except their design wasn’t as good as these. Also I was disappointed they only worked in GTS. One of the reasons I returned it.

Last edited:
I mean that you already know the rotarys don’t work so I’ll throw in a few unexpected ones because according to several in here, you should be okay with that.

When I was deciding to buy this wheel these questions were being asked but only a few people commented but weren’t sure because they are not official sources. That is why it is up to the manufacturer to disclose it. Manufacturers do this all the time to prevent this from happening. I think its called a disclaimer. Its really not a big deal. All those little asterisks and crosses you see at the bottom of an advertisement are there for the same reason. Why make such a fuss resisting the note? Why not just put it in there? It would remove all doubt for future buyers. When the support becomes available you take the note out. Not hard at all. Is it really that crazy for me to assume these swithes would work, and do you seriously think I’m the only one who’s going to make that assumption? Its not about me at this point. I now know way more about these switches than I ever wanted to know. Its about preventing others from making the same mistake. (If assuming all the features of something you buy are going to work properly can be considered a mistake)
That’s fair enough if you asked before and nobody said anything.

I guess it isn’t all that obvious to anybody who hasn’t had or tried to use positional
Rotary switches that currently they aren’t of any use in most sims. All I’m saying is be patient and give it some time, support will come but just bare in mind they aren’t all that useful even for sim racing.

The reason they even use them in real cars is because the whole car is bouncing around and they are wearing thick gloves so they need solid switches that clunk into place. A rotary encoder in those scenarios that are easier to turn and rotate through a setting in finer increments would be a nightmare. Also consider that they will setup each of those switch positions to perfectly match all the data they gathered from hours of testing in practice per track and with telemetry data from their mechanics.

This is why they haven’t really been used in sim racing games before because most games don’t simulate that kind of thing well enough for it to be an issue or worry too much about endurance racing. iRacing on the other hand has dedicated endurance championships and goes into fine detail with these things with people practicing for weeks for one race in one car. I’m just asking you are you really going to be doing that kind of thing to make you need to be using them and getting so annoyed you can’t use them in say GTSport where they are of basically no use even if they did work?

As I said if all you want is rudimentary software support to make them behave and be seen as 2 way rotary encoder buttons then just ask @Fanatec... if it’s something they could add. I mean the have mouse emulation for wheels with dual joysticks on PC so I’m sure it’s something they could at the very least look into.

I feel like this guy's only problem is that he never seems to read anything about the products he is buying.. All of this is made quite clear by the manufacturers well before the product was made available to purchase. It was well known from the start that no current games would support the rotary dials until after the wheel was released and developers could start deciding how to use it. Stop making something out of nothing. You weren't "promised" ANY functionality beyond, "developers will need to update their games to support these features". It's not complicated.

That’s fair enough if you asked before and nobody said anything.

I guess it isn’t all that obvious to anybody who hasn’t had or tried to use positional
Rotary switches that currently they aren’t of any use in most sims. All I’m saying is be patient and give it some time, support will come but just bare in mind they aren’t all that useful even for sim racing.

The reason they even use them in real cars is because the whole car is bouncing around and they are wearing thick gloves so they need solid switches that clunk into place. A rotary encoder in those scenarios that are easier to turn and rotate through a setting in finer increments would be a nightmare. Also consider that they will setup each of those switch positions to perfectly match all the data they gathered from hours of testing in practice per track and with telemetry data from their mechanics.

This is why they haven’t really been used in sim racing games before because most games don’t simulate that kind of thing well enough for it to be an issue or worry too much about endurance racing. iRacing on the other hand has dedicated endurance championships and goes into fine detail with these things with people practicing for weeks for one race in one car. I’m just asking you are you really going to be doing that kind of thing to make you need to be using them and getting so annoyed you can’t use them in say GTSport where they are of basically no use even if they did work?

As I said if all you want is rudimentary software support to make them behave and be seen as 2 way rotary encoder buttons then just ask @Fanatec... if it’s something they could add. I mean the have mouse emulation for wheels with dual joysticks on PC so I’m sure it’s something they could at the very least look into.
Thanks for understanding. I disagree about the functionality as I think you and many others will enjoy less task loading once you are able to use these as intended, no matter what the game. I’m pretty sure Fanatec agrees on this or they just would have made them spinny clicky things not connected to anything. Oh wait... (Kidding!)

I feel like this guy's only problem is that he never seems to read anything about the products he is buying.. All of this is made quite clear by the manufacturers well before the product was made available to purchase. It was well known from the start that no current games would support the rotary dials until after the wheel was released and developers could start deciding how to use it. Stop making something out of nothing. You weren't "promised" ANY functionality beyond, "developers will need to update their games to support these features". It's not complicated.
I read everything that was available on Fanatecs website from day one. You guys can bash me and try to make this all about me all you want, but I know I’m not the only one who was taken advantage of by this, and there are potential buyers that will benefit from it as well. These posts are for them, not you. I don’t care how annoying it may be to a few experts.

Not his first walk in the park:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-with-emails-requesting-load-cell-mod.367948/

Jeez, we gave enough attention to our fellow simracer Twstcrv`s concerns! Now let`s talk about the GT3 rim - I really want to hear more from you that have it in hands. How feel the rubber grips after long race? Do you hear sqeeky sound when you use it with strong FFB or the rim feels rock solid? Do you like this shifter type same as the TM F1 rim - those kind of things..;) Thanks

Jeez, we gave enough attention to our fellow simracer Twstcrv`s concerns! Now let`s talk about the GT3 rim - I really want to hear more from you that have it in hands. How feel the rubber grips after long race? Do you hear sqeeky sound when you use it with strong FFB or the rim feels rock solid? Do you like this shifter type same as the TM F1 rim - those kind of things..;) Thanks
Polite to the end Krassi! Thank You!

The cheese button caps had to go ... and I prefer the feel of a concave button surface vs. convex.

i-MtLq5Lw-XL.jpg

EDIT: Fantasy labels have been removed .... here below, are what seem(mostly) to be the actual button call outs for, PC in white, PS4 in yello ... (funky stick works on both) ... (PS buttons: select=X, back=O, delta=triangle, box=square)

i-pSTRQXj-X3.jpg

Lol my kind of guy 4 on caffeine, but up to 12 on THC:cheers:

I read everything that was available on Fanatecs website from day one. You guys can bash me and try to make this all about me all you want, but I know I’m not the only one who was taken advantage of by this, and there are potential buyers that will benefit from it as well. These posts are for them, not you. I don’t care how annoying it may be to a few experts.

You absolutely did not. I was one of the first on the pre-order list. And it was absolutely made clear by Fanatec that the rotary switches likely wouldn't be supported by any software at launch since it was a new feature. You invent your own reality, please leave all of the rest of us out of it. The only person that took advantage of you is yourself. Your posts on the topic are useless drivel that everyone else was already well aware of. Now you are trying to tell us all how useful and important your complaining is, don't make me laugh..

So, let me get this straight. Fanatec puts out a seemingly very high quality wheel* at a very attractive price when compared to competitors but because developers have yet to take advantage of all off the great features it's somehow Fanatec's fault? I personally love that a company like Fanatec is pushing the bar forward for sim racing hardware

*I say seemingly because I placed an order on BF but the servers went down and my order got lost in the ether so now I have to wait patiently for these to come back in stock. As a result I can't speak from first hand experience on the level of quality for this wheel rim.

To the people that have the wheel, how are you liking it so far? Is the build quality up to par? How about the feeling of the shifter paddles, are they similar to what fanatec has on the P1 E wheel or are they clicky like TM wheels? Also do the rubber grips feel nice?

Latest Posts

Back