Fanatec Replaces Thrustmaster at the GT Sport Tokyo World Tour Event

Big kudos to them for being transparent here, and for the precaution they took to ensure that an unlikely failure didn't mess up any of the competitors this weekend.

That is interesting but I don't think it's the full story. They pulled all T-GT's from the World Tour Event because ONE wheel in Japan failed?

We'll probably never know but that doesn't sound right to me.

That is interesting but I don't think it's the full story. They pulled all T-GT's from the World Tour Event because ONE wheel in Japan failed?

We'll probably never know but that doesn't sound right to me.

The idea here is likely if that one failure happened with one wheel, it's better to lessen the odds of it happening with multiple wheels. I know it seems overreactive, but it's kind of a classic case of better safe the sorry.

All I can say is if the top guys have no problems with this wheel/pedal combination and still put in the incredibly fast laps they normally do, the rest of us mere mortals, who have had these wheels for as long as we have, cannot complain about a thing. :)

The idea here is likely if that one failure happened with one wheel, it's better to lessen the odds of it happening with multiple wheels. I know it seems overreactive, but it's kind of a classic case of better safe the sorry.
And the Thrustmaster has no resource to replace all the wheels with brand new ones?
Just a logical question.

And the Thrustmaster has no resource to replace all the wheels with brand new ones?
Just a logical question.

While they could, what are the odds the replacements could have the same issue? I am only guessing here but again, it seems like it's a case of being super thorough and making sure no more have them as opposed to just shrugging off the issue with one wheel. Admittedly it's the most reactive case of quality control I have ever seen, but I am guessing that is what's going here.

Still seems a bit fishy to me. One wheel failed and they went out and bought 12+ new ones? Presumably within a couple days? After all that sponsorship and long-term relationship? Riiiiight... Unless there's a consistent problem and they're about to recall a big batch of wheels, or something.

Still seems a bit fishy to me. One wheel failed and they went out and bought 12+ new ones? Presumably within a couple days? After all that sponsorship and long-term relationship? Riiiiight... Unless there's a consistent problem and they're about to recall a big batch of wheels, or something.

I imagine it's because they know what component failed and are aware of the potential for that to affect other devices from the same batch. They're the only ones who will know what the real risk is here.

Nobody is asking the real question here though - Why does the wheel come with a plastic turbo?

EDIT: It's the power supply, I had never seen one before.

The very carefully non-specific description of the nature of the problem suggests to me that property was damaged or someone was injured, so possibly a mounting clamp failure or an electrical fire. It's pure speculation on my part, but that would definitely warrant pulling the devices until testing and analysis were completed and corrective action was decided. I doubt they'd pull them for a single instance of a wheel simply stopping working, that would be chalked down to "in race mechanical failure" and is a normal part of racing even with a DS4.

Last edited:
I know at least three T-GT users that have experienced Failures, making the Wheel unusable.
2 seem to have been electronic related, and one Physical hardware related.

So there could be a Batch of wheels made around the same time, that have a potential Flaw.
and Thrustmaster doesn't want to risk a Failure during such a Promotional Live event.

This makes no sense at all. During the New York event the Toyota (and i think Mercedes?) teams lunched a T GT during the practice sessions, they got swapped out and nothing else was said.

But one fails miles ahead of it and they swap them all out suddenly? Fishy as hellllllllllll. And competitors only found out thanks to a tweet? What's going on?

Maybe this will mean we (Fanatec Elite PS4 owners) will finally get a fix for the god awful clanking the wheelbase makes when the tyres scrub.

I don't imagine there will be much ambient sound recording during the races as it could sound like the Normandy landings....... clacker clacker clacker.

This makes no sense at all. During the New York event the Toyota (and i think Mercedes?) teams lunched a T GT during the practice sessions, they got swapped out and nothing else was said.

But one fails miles ahead of it and they swap them all out suddenly? Fishy as hellllllllllll. And competitors only found out thanks to a tweet? What's going on?
That was abusing the wheel
This is a mechanical failure, and they pulled all of them because there may be a risk of affecting other wheels

That was abusing the wheel
This is a mechanical failure, and they pulled all of them because there may be a risk of affecting other wheels

was it? Our wheel literally just ate itself on the inside and eventually disintegrated and locked up. That’s a mechanical failure.

Classic TM reliability. I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner with all the abuse these wheels get during live events. My experience with the T-GT has been totally underwhelming for its price and if it weren't for the 4 rotary dials I would've swapped back to my G25.

PD really should get Fanatec's as an official partner for next gen and have a DD wheel specifically made for GT7/8. TM just isn't cutting it.

Whether or not Thrustmaster’s deal with Polyphony is in any strange phase or not, I hope this at least bodes well for Fanatec being allowed to sell wheels/hubs that support the PS4 soon in Japan. Currently none of their wheels support the PS4 in the Fanatec Japan store, and must be imported from overseas should people really want one...

In future this is possible.
This is interesting, I can think of two reasons for this possible future:
1. The Thrustmaster is not able to fix the problem until the next show and you will have to supply wheels also for the next show.
or
2. This wheel problem is dust in the eyes and Fanatec will be the new official supplier.

if this is a lasting partnership maybe somehow this will help fanatec sell me a wheel in canada without the high shipping and duty charges or finally get them in a canadian store.

This just seems like an instance where TM's poor reliability/build quality caught up with them in a verry public setting and they want to avoid any further potential embarasment while they figure out what actually went wrong.
I've used my T-GT on both my ps4 and now on pc and from what I remember the wheel always felt like it was clipping alot more on the ps compared to the pc (even without me changing any of the settings in the properties tab)
I've had little to no issues with my t-gt so far but I've owned a number of thrustmaster wheels prior to this one and none of the wheels or pedals have lasted the 2 year warranty without having to be sent back for either repair or replacement.

I personally don't think them switching to a competitors hardware to make the event go ahead is indicative of anything other than the fact sony/PD have a lot riding on these events and canceling /postponing them while they wait for TM to get on top of their quality control was not an option.

Not trying to slam TM as I've had a lot of fun using their product over the years but I can't deny that my personal experience with the reliabillity of their hardware has been a bit dodgy

Maybe this will mean we (Fanatec Elite PS4 owners) will finally get a fix for the god awful clanking the wheelbase makes when the tyres scrub.

I don't imagine there will be much ambient sound recording during the races as it could sound like the Normandy landings....... clacker clacker clacker.
Its called understeer? Have you ever experienced it?
I have my CSL Elite on all default settings and i dont se anything strange with it?

Back