Fanatec Reveals New CSL Elite McLaren GT3 V2 Wheel

That's awesome pricing too.
Might jump into it for the F1 racing.

Cant beat the price. And it comes with magnetic shifters!

The Formula Carbon would be the closest competition but its $100 more. Which in all honesty pays for the quick release it comes with. But it does not have magnetic shifters.

And i don't like 270mm wheels, my shoulders are too broad and my arms would be pointing inwards too much. 300mm is a good width for my frame.

Man that’s awesome finally we see life of the McLaren GT3 rim again. Very nice. I’m sure those that wanted to get the McLaren wheel the first time would be very satisfied with the V2 version. Especially with the upgrades.

Cant beat the price. And it comes with magnetic shifters!

The Formula Carbon would be the closest competition but its $100 more. Which in all honesty pays for the quick release it comes with. But it does not have magnetic shifters.

And i don't like 270mm wheels, my shoulders are too broad and my arms would be pointing inwards too much. 300mm is a good width for my frame.
Yup the price is great especially considering the inclusion of magnetic paddle shifters and the width is good not only for formula racing but also GT from what I've seen in reviews. Owners of the previous version wheel spoke highly of theirs so this should be an improved plus.
I was considering previously if I were to get a formula type wheel it would have purchased the Clubsport Formula V2 as as said that doesn't come with magnetic paddles so this wheel seems to be more prudent. I would actually consider this if I wanted to get this style of wheel.

Yup the price is great especially considering the inclusion of magnetic paddle shifters and the width is good not only for formula racing but also GT from what I've seen in reviews. Owners of the previous version wheel spoke highly of theirs so this should be an improved plus.
I was considering previously if I were to get a formula type wheel it would have purchased the Clubsport Formula V2 as as said that doesn't come with magnetic paddles so this wheel seems to be more prudent. I would actually consider this if I wanted to get this style of wheel.

Exactly

And how often is the quick release really worth the $100?

I'd rather have the magnetic shifters which I'll use millions of times vs the quick release which will be "handy" once or twice.

Saving 30sec to switch wheels isnt worth $100.

People just think its "cool" to have it.

The QR is important if you have a DD wheel, otherwise the max torque is limited.

Fair point. But i don't, so to me its of no use. But the day i want to spend $1100 on a wheel base is far from now. And if i can justify that expense, then im sure I'll probably not care about another $100

I was considering previously if I were to get a formula type wheel it would have purchased the Clubsport Formula V2 as as said that doesn't come with magnetic paddles so this wheel seems to be more prudent.
When I bought my rig I was initially going for the McLaren GT3 V1, but it had already been discontinued by the time I was ready to order.

The Formula V2 is great though, especially with the Podium Advanced Paddle Module.

That being said, if somebody is starting from zero, the McLaren GT3 V2 is the better option considering it has almost all of the same features, at a much lower price.

I just got an RA# for the Black Friday BMW rim I got. Then I preordered the McLaren V2. I really wanted the McLaren all along, thankfully Fanatec agreed with their customers and re-released it! Now to wait for the Clubsport QR to come back in stock.

I have the Formula carbon V2 with the Clubsport magnetic paddle module. The functionality of the the buttons is actually problematic sometimes. The QR is something I use all the time. I remove the rim when my son plays on the PS4.

Last edited:
I've had the first McLaren wheel with the QR and had a few issues with it, but after it was fixed by Fanatec the wheel was brilliant. The size is just perfect. In the end I sold it because of the hassle of constantly having to change the wheel for different racing games I played. Also the FFB felt more pronounced on the standard Fanatec CSL rim (maybe also because of the extra weight of the QR with the McLaren rim?). And the rotary switches were useless on PS4 games back then. Every now and then I miss the wheel, but second hand prices on these babies are/were crazy.

So now I've preordered this V2 model. All I play nowadays is ACC anyway, so no need to change rims for now. And I won't buy the QR this time. In hindsight, the QR seems like overkill for the CSL. And I think the lighter the rim is the better the FFB experience will be. Really looking forward to this upgraded version of already a terrific rim.

Last edited:
Ordered one of these. Have been wanting the McLaren wheel for a long time now, but the v1 went out of stock way before I tried to get one.

Only concern I've seen so far is flex in the coupling. The ClubSport quick release looks to remove that entirely. Unfortunately it was sold out before I got my order in. A lot of people must've been thinking the same as me.

Last edited:
Ordered one of these. Have been wanting the McLaren wheel for a long time now, but the v1 went out of stock way before I tried to get one.

Only concern I've seen so far is flex in the coupling. The ClubSport quick release looks to remove that entirely. Unfortunately it was sold out before I got my order in. A lot of people must've been thinking the same as me.
If you watch a review for this V2 wheel from a youtuber called Boosted Media, this is exactly what he mentions in his video. Without the QR there is some flex where the new simplified quickrelease is attached to the actual rim. But on the other hand, with the (metal) QR there is no flex where the QR is attached to the rim but then there is some flex at the shaft that comes out of the wheelbase. The amount of flex looks similar to each other, and apparently isn't noticeable when you're actually driving/racing with the gear. He claims that all Fanatec wheels have some flex and it never bothered him. But of course you have to make up your own mind when you get to use the wheel for yourself. Hope this helps.

Mines arrived today...

I did see boosted medias video and thought there looked a lot of flex.. however as it arrived I quickly got it out the box, updated the firmware and tried it out.

It was only just that I remembered the flex in the video and tbh can't say I noticed any in normal use just

Good to hear. Keep us updated.

Good to hear. Keep us updated.

Just had a couple of lobby races.

Surprisingly took a while to get used to the wheel but up to speed now.

Left thumb keeps going to the wrong place for the stick but will soon get used to that.

Again no noticeable play. If I sit there I can physically move it about and see play dont get me wrong but on a CSL elite I don't feel any play during a race.

Just wish GT would support the rotary switches but other than that I'm happy

Just had a couple of lobby races.

Surprisingly took a while to get used to the wheel but up to speed now.

Left thumb keeps going to the wrong place for the stick but will soon get used to that.

Again no noticeable play. If I sit there I can physically move it about and see play dont get me wrong but on a CSL elite I don't feel any play during a race.

Just wish GT would support the rotary switches but other than that I'm happy

How are the magnetic shifters?

How are the magnetic shifters?

Shifters are nice... took a little while to get used to as the paddle is so much smaller than the wheel that comes with the csl elite. Few laps though and that’s not an issue at all.

The one issue I do have which has appeared today is the screen!

getting lots of issues with it displaying either the fanatec logo, 3, or blank. Occasionally it will go between working with the speed display or nothing during the same race (noticed it start working again after pitting).

I’m guessing this is a firmware issue as the screen still displaying when flicking the paddle selector switch though I’ve just checked again and it appears to be on the latest (38).

wheel itself still functions but it’s kind of annoying even if you don’t really look at it.

This is on a PS5 with GT Sport (expensive few months!) so may only be applicable to that

Got my shipping confirmation today!

Should be here Monday!

20210121_221437.jpg

Mine is due today, but it snowed. FedEx will probably delay it. Which I always expect.
Awesome and sad at the same time SGA.

We got some flurries here but its barely sticking. Hopefully FedEx gets it done! I work in transportation so i know how much the weather can affect things. Fingers crossed for you!

So apparently there is no L2/R2 buttons on the McLaren wheel?

How in the **** is that even possible? The toggle switches do nothing, and the rotary encoders dont do squat either, no matter what mode i set them to.

This is a huge oversight on Fanatecs part and it make an otherwise amazing wheel pretty dumb.

Is this something that can be patches with a firmware update?

Back