Fanatec Reveals New CSL Elite McLaren GT3 V2 Wheel

So apparently there is no L2/R2 buttons on the McLaren wheel?

How in the **** is that even possible? The toggle switches do nothing, and the rotary encoders dont do squat either, no matter what mode i set them to.

This is a huge oversight on Fanatecs part and it make an otherwise amazing wheel pretty dumb.

Is this something that can be patches with a firmware update?

I noticed that also. On ACC I can map the toggle switches and rotary knobs. GTS wouldn't use them anyway. But the R1/R2 are very important

I noticed that also. On ACC I can map the toggle switches and rotary knobs. GTS wouldn't use them anyway. But the R1/R2 are very important

Are you on PS4 as well? I wonder if its because im using drivehub?

Did you have to do anything in Fanalabs to enable the toggles and rotaries?

What mode do you have the rotaries in?

Are you on PS4 as well? I wonder if its because im using drivehub?

Did you have to do anything in Fanalabs to enable the toggles and rotaries?

What mode do you have the rotaries in?

I'm on PS4. I've only used it so far on ACC. In ACC they are 1 directional, if that's what you mean

I'm on PS4. I've only used it so far on ACC. In ACC they are 1 directional, if that's what you mean

None of the rotaries or toggles work for me on PS4. Playing AC and ACC.

Im wondering if its drivehubs fault. Ill have to check without it to see i guess.

So i played around with the drivehub and put the wheel in Fanalogic mode. And now my encoders work.

But the wheel feels.like Garbage in this mode so the games are unplayable. You barely have any ffb and its very notchy.

So i guess its the curse of drivehub for now until i want to throw down money on Fanatec pedals.

I noticed a tiny "click" in the QR during play. I probably haven't got the ring tight enough, but I dont want to over tighten it. Otherwise, I'm very satisfied with it.

I have only used the original P1 wheel that came with my Fanatec CSL Elite bundle 2 years ago.

I've had this wheel for just a few days and I cannot believe how Superior it is. Turning is so much easier and tighter.

The wheel also feels amazing in my hands.

I do have two complaints though:

1. The split paddle thing is driving me crazy and costing me errors when I race online. The paddle on the P1 wheel is full length so it doesn't matter which finger I shift with.

These paddles are split so if I shift with my pinky I'm hitting the analog paddle that does nothing and instead of shifting down I'm going off track because I can't slow my car down. It's likely just a matter of getting used to it

2. The lack of an R2 button and an L2 button is driving me nuts. On Fanatec's website it has been mentioned by a few people and they have not replied. That's a little disappointing cuz I have been a big supporter of theirs.

In terms of the usefulness of all the buttons and the rotary dials, they have at least touched on that subject and said that it is up to the individual developers of the games to use Fanatecs SDK to make them compatible so I do not blame Fanatec for that, at least

Last edited:
I noticed a tiny "click" in the QR during play. I probably haven't got the ring tight enough, but I dont want to over tighten it. Otherwise, I'm very satisfied with it.

I had to tighten it more than i thought for it to go all the way. Its pretty snug to get all the way tight.

I have only used the original P1 wheel that came with my Fanatec CSL Elite bundle 2 years ago.

I've had this wheel for just a few days and I cannot believe how Superior it is. Turning is so much easier and tighter.

The wheel also feels amazing in my hands.

I do have two complaints though:

1. The split paddle thing is driving me crazy and costing me errors when I race online. The paddle on the P1 wheel is full length so it doesn't matter which finger I shift with.

These paddles are split so if I shift with my pinky I'm hitting the analog paddle that does nothing and instead of shifting down I'm going off track because I can't slow my car down. It's likely just a matter of getting used to it

2. The lack of an R2 button and an L2 button is driving me nuts. On Fanatec's website it has been mentioned by a few people and they have not replied. That's a little disappointing cuz I have been a big supporter of theirs.

In terms of the usefulness of all the buttons and the rotary dials, they have at least touched on that subject and said that it is up to the individual developers of the games to use Fanatecs SDK to make them compatible so I do not blame Fanatec for that, at least

I pmd Dom on here but he hasnt responded to me about the wheel. Hopefully he will chime in. I dont know how to tag people.

I dont know how to tag people.
@SlowGrayAudi

Just put @ and start typing the name. A list of names will appear, click on the name of the person you want to tag.

SlowGrayAudi.png

I pmd Dom on here but he hasnt responded to me about the wheel. Hopefully he will chime in. I dont know how to tag people.
Dom is usually quite responsive. I think we can count on him.

EDIT: It doesn't normally take this long for Dom to reply. I'm nervous that there is no answer

Last edited:
The lack of an R2 button and an L2 button is driving me nuts. On Fanatec's website it has been mentioned by a few people and they have not replied. That's a little disappointing cuz I have been a big supporter of theirs.

The toggle switches are assigned as unique inputs because the CSL Universal Hub, ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2, and Podium Button Module Endurance feature the same toggles, and we wanted to retain some consistency across our wheels. Unfortunately this meant that there was no space for L2 and R2 on the McLaren wheel. These assignments have not changed from the McLaren V1. These toggle switch inputs must be supported by the game to be detected. Both ACC and F1 2020 natively support the toggle switches (and indeed the Multi-Position Switches) on PlayStation. Moving forward, you should see more games support these inputs on PlayStation. However, your feedback has been noted and allowing L2 and R2 inputs on the McLaren wheel is being considered.

The toggle switches are assigned as unique inputs because the CSL Universal Hub, ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2, and Podium Button Module Endurance feature the same toggles, and we wanted to retain some consistency across our wheels. Unfortunately this meant that there was no space for L2 and R2 on the McLaren wheel. These assignments have not changed from the McLaren V1. These toggle switch inputs must be supported by the game to be detected. Both ACC and F1 2020 natively support the toggle switches (and indeed the Multi-Position Switches) on PlayStation. Moving forward, you should see more games support these inputs on PlayStation. However, your feedback has been noted and allowing L2 and R2 inputs on the McLaren wheel is being considered.

If it could be implemented that would be great. Its a fantastic steering wheel, but having all the buttons a controller has i think is important. Maybe one of the toggles could be L2 for down and R2 for up? And then the other toggle can be a toggle as it was intended to be.

Just food for thought

Thanks Dom

And, this is why I will always support Fanatec.

Thank you @DomB_Fanatec

The answer may not be exactly what we want to hear but you can count on two things from Dom:

1. He won't hide from a question/concern. He didn't all of a sudden go dark if there's any kind of criticism out there.

2. He will always tell us the truth. He won't make it up.

For anyone wondering about the wheel itself:

It is superb! I can't express enough, how much better my race craft has become.

My next Fanatec purchase will be a DD setup. When I find a rig that's fairly small which can solidly handle it, that's the day I purchase!

Has anyone had any issues with the shifters? The right side of the paddle works perfectly. But the left side is no. It feels like unless I push really hard on it, it doesn’t register.

@DomB_Fanatec

Last edited:
Did you have this problem when the steering wheel was brand new or appeared recently?

I have may 20 hours of use in last 2 weeks since getting it. No issues. Was playing maybe an hour last night. Let it set 5-10 minutes while working on tweaking some setup stuff (car set up), and started the race. Wouldn’t shift down. Restarted race. Then game. Then system. Wheel a few times as well.

But from feel, it seems the button isn’t being pressed.

Last edited:
I have may 20 hours of use in last 2 weeks since getting it. No issues. Was playing maybe an hour last night. Let it set 5-10 minutes while working on tweaking some setup stuff (car set up), and started the race. Wouldn’t shift down. Restarted race. Then game. Then system. Wheel a few times as well.

But from feel, it seems the button isn’t being pressed.
It's hard to say exactly what the problem is without me having the steering wheel to disassemble it, so it's better to contact Fanatec support.

Hey, guys, yeah the McLaren wheel is a great wheel but I can’t use it to play F1 2018 on ps4 because there are no L2 and R2 buttons. Try and fix this please, thank you. Mason

Hi @DomB_Fanatec

Thanks for this note on the Mclaren GT3 V2 wheel, I am considering getting this wheel, but Play f1 2020 a lot and these buttons are fundamental for the navigation.
Since this post was in Feb and we are now in august I was wndering if there had been any internal movement on this so that the L2 and R2 buttons are working on the Mclaren wheel?
Sorry if this is somewhere else - but i have searched on this and other formums and cant find an up to date comment on this!

Thanks,
Ian

Last edited:
Are there some news about the l2/r2 problem? Is it possible to play newer games like F1 2021, ACC or WRC10 on PS4/PS5?
Hi cebra216, all of the games you mention can be driven with this wheel, because they support separate throttle and brake pedal inputs. These inputs do not replace 'L2' and 'R2', they are different. The question is whether 'L2' and 'R2' can be separately triggered by a button or switch on the McLaren wheel to be used for additional game functions, and this is currently not possible.

@DomB_Fanatec
Thank you for the answer! But that shouldn't be a big problem, because I can use a separate controller for the menu navigation and only drive with the McLaren Wheel.
But as I have done some other researches a lot of people complain about the plastic quick release of the wheel. Was this factory-revised in the last months or is the only good option to buy the metal quick release, too? I don't want to destroy my CSL Elite Wheelbase :D

@DomB_Fanatec
Thank you for the answer! But that shouldn't be a big problem, because I can use a separate controller for the menu navigation and only drive with the McLaren Wheel.
But as I have done some other researches a lot of people complain about the plastic quick release of the wheel. Was this factory-revised in the last months or is the only good option to buy the metal quick release, too? I don't want to destroy my CSL Elite Wheelbase :D
The metal quick release is only a requirement if you wish to use High Torque Mode on a Podium wheel base. You might also want to upgrade to it for the convenience of making it a 'quicker' release. It is also heavier, which makes the McLaren wheel feel more substantial, which some people prefer. But otherwise the standard 'QR1 Lite Wheel-Side' is fine.

It is a fantastic idea, really any option to have the L2 and R2 buttons will be successful, today having the controller close and sometimes is annoying

With today’s Fanatec QR2 announcement I decided “why not” and threw a McLaren GT3 V2 order in there too.

I’ve been looking around to see what interesting mods can be done to it.

I know of the Sim Makerz magnetic paddle mod which seems quite popular, but also saw a mod elsewhere that lets you fit the Fanatec ClubSport magnetic shifters.

That got me thinking, would it be possible to fit the Fanatec Podium Advanced Paddle Module at all?

I have the PAPM on another wheel already, so the main unknowns revolve around:

1. Would they even work on the McLaren GT3 V2, and
  2. What sort of mounting solution would be needed to fit them.

If anyone has any leads, links or ideas on how to do such a thing, it would be handy.

Also, if there’s any other interesting mods worth trying out, let me know, thanks 🙂

With today’s Fanatec QR2 announcement I decided “why not” and threw a McLaren GT3 V2 order in there too.

I’ve been looking around to see what interesting mods can be done to it.

I know of the Sim Makerz magnetic paddle mod which seems quite popular, but also saw a mod elsewhere that lets you fit the Fanatec ClubSport magnetic shifters.

That got me thinking, would it be possible to fit the Fanatec Podium Advanced Paddle Module at all?

I have the PAPM on another wheel already, so the main unknowns revolve around:

1. Would they even work on the McLaren GT3 V2, and
  2. What sort of mounting solution would be needed to fit them.

If anyone has any leads, links or ideas on how to do such a thing, it would be handy.

Also, if there’s any other interesting mods worth trying out, let me know, thanks 🙂
I use the simmakerz and its distinctly different to what comes with the GT3 V2, each to their own but wasn't keen on it. Simmakerz one is crisp on shifts, very definitive (and quiet) although i would have liked the paddles to have extended wider a bit (like 1-2 cm). As you mentioned there is an adapter to use the Fanatac CS shifters. Both methods will require opening up the wheel which isnt too complex.

Short of it is simmakerz is well worth it for 100 EUR give or take, transforms the GT3 V2 wheel into what it should have felt like from day 1

Back