Fast and Furious Crossroads Announced: Coming to PC, PS4, and Xbox One May 2020

It's put up or shut up time for Slightly Mad. If they're going on about how their pad handling model has changed for the better in PCARS Revolution or whatever, then they had better have put it in this game, otherwise, you're going to see whatever interest people might have in F&F Crossroads evaporate quicker then you can blink, and have it trickle down to PCARS Revolution too.

Last edited:

They need to fulfill that contract and promise of something new and outside of their typical realm, I guess. And I imagine that with the buyout from Codemasters, they wanted one more bit of time in the spotlight before the new year.

Now, it'd be nice if they offered something substantial on the mobile PCARS and Revolution, though I doubt the mobile title will survive the Codemasters hand over.

This game has been years in the making. Ian Bell mentioned something way back about a certain movie franchise and now it's here. Would I be rushing out the door to get it? Maybe. Project Cars 2 has basically been left out to dry and this game could provide something half-decent.

I hope this does well for SMS. That's the nicest thing I can say about it. Actually, another thing: I'm glad they didn't spend developing a Forza-Horizon-style open world driving/racing game on...this. Instead, it's a "team-based, vehicular-heist action game...[featuring] non-stop cinematic-style action"...so, like, OnRush starring Vin Diesel or something?

It's put up or shut up time for Slightly Mad. If they're going on about how their pad handling model has changed for the better in PCARS Revolution or whatever, then they had better have put it in this game, otherwise, you're going to see whatever interest people might have in F&F Crossroads evaporate quicker then you can blink, and have it trickle down to PCARS Revolution too.
I dunno. It's kind of apples and oranges in terms of implementation.

The struggle of the two Project CARS games was with reconciling the steering logic with a physics engine attempting to simulate realistic oversteer. You cannot dial in a setting that dampens the steering without making oversteer unrecoverable, or one that adequately handles oversteer control without making the steering extra sensitive. I maintain that there's no such thing as a sim too realistic to make the steering logic work, but if SMS had modeled oversteer in a more accessible (ie. unrealistic) way, taming the steering would have been relatively straightforward.

This FnF game is something else. It isn't even a racing game, and you can bet it has next to no sim qualities.

VXR
With little to no interest in anything but 2F2F, this has zero appeal to me. It looks like the premise of a bad PS2 licensed tie-in.
Funny you say that, because the actual PS2 licensed FnF tie-in had the interesting premise of combining touge and "shutokou" style street racing into one game, based only loosely on the Tokyo Drift film and committed to racing instead of theatrics or heists. Mediocre, but with a degree of charm, like a western Tokyo Xtreme Racer and TXR: Drift combined.

it doesn't look good from those trailers and I'm not sure are people interested in scripted missions like those, NFS tried it with Payback and I don't think many like it.

I was hoping it will be loosely based on the franchise and focus more on the street racing than having weapons on cars chasing tanks and hovercrafts.

Looks like it could be a fun arcade racer.
Going to be interesting to see some more footage of it.

The fact its made by slightly mad raises eyebrows because PCARS is quite far from this game, maybe it won't drive too bad.

Funny you say that, because the actual PS2 licensed FnF tie-in had the interesting premise of combining touge and "shutokou" style street racing into one game, based only loosely on the Tokyo Drift film and committed to racing instead of theatrics or heists. Mediocre, but with a degree of charm, like a western Tokyo Xtreme Racer and TXR: Drift combined.

I never knew that, but it certainly sounds interesting. One of these days, we might actually get a decent, triple-A developed touge game. Lord knows why PD haven't tried it as a spin-off. They would be perfect for it.

Reserving judgement on the full game until I see more of actual gameplay. These cutscenes and particularly the lip-synching look, well, let's called it 'aged'. I was pleasantly surprised by NFS Heat this year; something I didn't expect at all, so I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt.

Planet-sized wrecking balls and Twisted Metal-like armored and armed cars...
To be fair: this is completely in line with the latest FF installment(s). ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing I gotta say is...what the hell is up with those character models? Anyway, until we hear more details about the game I'm kinda expecting this to end up being Fast and Furious Showdown 2.

I do appreciate the nice little throwback to the black Civics from the first film.

While it is very early days, Ian did claim this title would blow the Need For Speed franchise out the water, back when Payback was recently released. Fast forward to the present and Heat is an impressive game and so far, this looks far less so.

With that said, I do want to be optimistic and hope this will turn out decent so I'll be keeping a close eye on this.

I'm mildly interested, it looks a bit dated, but the gameplay could be fun, especially if they find the middle ground between epicness and reality.

Not my kind of game (and probably much too difficult for me to play), but I hope it does well for SMS.

The Camaro and Mustang in the trailer look very like the ones in Project Cars 2 - maybe a few of the less extreme cars featured will make it into the next Project Cars game - I wouldn't mind that Pontiac Trans Am!

Some people seem to have the impression SMS are only about Project Cars but they also produced the Red Bull Air Race game and they also worked on World of Speed. They are by sim racing standards a large studio, so need more than one string to their bow. I think I watched half of the first F&F movie so not a big fan and this is probably not for me, but I wish them well.

It does look like a PS3/XB360 game to me too.

The Camaro and Mustang in the trailer look very like the ones in Project Cars 2 - maybe a few of the less extreme cars featured will make it into the next Project Cars game - I wouldn't mind that Pontiac Trans Am!
The E30 M3 shown on the website is a tease after PCARS1+2 have only bothered to feature the Group A car. The Toyobaru is analogous to how good the street M3 would have been to drive in PCARS2, being so similar in specs.

They better let you customize and upgrade your cars. This game should be more like GTA than a driving game imo. Driving is only one part of Fast & Furious movies.

Back