Favorite Film Scores, TV Show Themes - Original or Cover

• Thread starter Dotini
  • 43 comments

Dotini

(Banned)
United States
Seattle
CR80_Shifty
Please post your favorite film score or favorite TV show theme music here. Commercial advertisement theme music can also be posted, but it better be good! It can be either the original work or a cover. Any comments or notes about the music (not the movie or TV show itself) are very welcome.

Please limit your items to one, two or at most three at a time.

I'll start this off with a cover of The Magnificent Seven, a remake of Akira Kurosawa's 1954 Japanese film Seven Samurai.

Up Where We Belong, From An Officer and a Gentleman.
This song won both an Academy Award and a Golden Globe Award.

Joe Cocker and Buffy Sainte-Marie are among the artists here.

Nancy Sinatra performing You Only Live Twice.
This one is unquestionably among the top two or three Bond themes of all time.

Last edited:
I will start by posting 3 non-John Williams/Hans Zimmer favorite soundtracks:

Last of the Mohicans, by Trevor Jones-Randy Edelman, so many memorable themes and moments: Main Title, Fort Battle, and the heartbreaking Promontory:

The Goblet of Fire, by Patrick Doyle. John Williams didn't really gave us a great Voldemort/Harry theme, Sir Doyle did:

Conan the Barbarian, by Basil Poulidouris, Conan doesn't cry, this piece does it for him (and you):

Batman TV show theme covered by the Marketts (studio musicians with fictitious name)
The genre is surf rock.

Disclaimer: I have never seen a single episode of Hawaii 5-0 (past or present series), however I distinctly remember the intro song coming from the living room of my parents' house (It was broadcasted way past my bed time in those days.)

The Midnight Cowboy theme popped up in one of my playlists. I just remembered the ending and never watched the whole thing.
This version is so soothing.

Journey to the Island from Jurassic Park is by far my most beloved piece of movie music. It embodies the themes of adventure and awe at seeing dinosaurs, and I can't help but grin whenever I watch the movie and it starts playing as the helicopter approaches the island.

Crescent Moon Dance from Hibike Euphonium blew me away the first time I listened to it. At first I thought it was borrowed from the real world, but as it turns out, it was composed specifically for the anime series. It's dynamic, features a wide array of instruments and has a beautiful trumpet solo. Season two of the series wasn't very good, but it does feature the full piece, as opposed to the end of season one which only featured part of it.

Also from Hibike is a very nice trumpet/euphonium duet.

Last edited:
Cobra Kai is all the rage these days, and below is my favorite piece of music from the Karate Kid saga, Daniel's triumph:

I love how it weaves the main theme with a melody recurring througout the movie. At 0:55 a boy becomes a grown man.

The RONETTES were the muse for producer Phil Spector, with many Top Ten hits including "Be My Baby". Ronnie Spector did this song for a 1985 film entitled Just One Of The Guys, a loose adaptation of William Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. It was written by Narada Michael Walden & Preston Glass; produced by Paul Shaffer (from David Letterman's show).

Anything with Elfman or Zimmer.

Something anime.

Was going to post the awesome original, but this cover's dope.

edit: I seem to have forgotten how to count to 2 or 3, but couldn't choose one to delete. :dunce:

Last edited:
Right now I'm listening to the Battlestar Galactica - Season One soundtrack (the new show on SciFi, not the old one). It's an up and down soundtrack with two outstanding tracks that put me in a trance every time they come up. Yes I know it's a TV show and so technically it doesn't belong in this thread, but if you watch the show, you know it's practically a weekly movie anyway.

Everyone should check out "Passacaglia" and "The Shape of Things to Come" on the season one soundtrack. Fantastic stuff.
Boy, it's not every day I quote a...what is it now...15 year old thread :lol:
But your link to the old thread above here brought me to this old post of yours. And it was just so spot on in line with my own feelings about that TV-series and its music (no idea how you feel about it these days though).

I think Bear McCreary might be one of the most underrated composers. His music for this TV-series is just magnificent and those two pieces (Passacaglia and The Shape of Things to Come) capture the mood/atmosphere of the show just perfectly. He also seems to master many different styles as does any great movie composer. That music for the Prologue for example. So unique and imaginative, once you've seen it sticks in your head.

For those who haven't watched the series, you really need to! It's still the best TV-series I have ever watched, regardless of genre, and the music is sublime.

Here's the whole playlist (though you should probably watch the show first to appreciate it fully):

Boy, it's not every day I quote a...what is it now...15 year old thread :lol:
But your link to the old thread above here brought me to this old post of yours. And it was just so spot on in line with my own feelings about that TV-series and its music (no idea how you feel about it these days though).

I think Bear McCreary might be one of the most underrated composers. His music for this TV-series is just magnificent and those two pieces (Passacaglia and The Shape of Things to Come) capture the mood/atmosphere of the show just perfectly. He also seems to master many different styles as does any great movie composer. That music for the Prologue for example. So unique and imaginative, once you've seen it sticks in your head.

For those who haven't watched the series, you really need to! It's still the best TV-series I have ever watched, regardless of genre, and the music is sublime.

Here's the whole playlist (though you should probably watch the show first to appreciate it fully):

Well I didn't like the ending of Battlestar. But you're absolutely right about Bear McCreary. Some of the walking dead stuff is outstanding:

That first one, "The Day Will Come" which is from walking dead, is like... very Truman Show... Phillip Glass type stuff.

Last edited:
Well I didn't like the ending of Battlestar. But you're absolutely right about Bear McCreary. Some of the walking dead stuff is outstanding:
That first one, "The Day Will Come" which is from walking dead, is like... very Truman Show... Phillip Glass type stuff.
Really like that last one (Hearts still beating). Nothing out of the ordinary with regards to the use of chords really, but the composition and build-up is beautiful.

Back