Favorite/Least Favorite Track

• Thread starter Oshow
  • 89 comments
Someone had to ask this question, so it might as well be me!!! Imola is by far my favorite. The track is just so much fun to drive!!! Eventhough I am from the US, I can't stand Indy. The entire infield portion of the track is just so boring. Chime in so we can get this forum going!!!!:cheers:

I love Monaco, and I also like Montreal and Imola.

Least favourite is Istanbul, and I also dislike Melbourne, Catalunya and the second corner at Magny-Cours.

I love melbourne, because it use to be the one that was 1st in the default settings in the older games so i would just race and not bother changing the track, i know i'm so lazy.

Yeah I actually enjoy just about all the tracks. It's usually specific corners on various tracks that I hate. But bye and large they are all challenging and each has it's own rhythm that one must find and become comfortable with. On each track, the first time I find that rhythm, or at least come fairly close to finding it, I always feel a shot of adrenaline and exhilaration.

That being said I'd still probably have to go with Monza as my least favorite, probably a tie with Indy. Most favorite, right now.... Budapest I guess. I've really come to enjoy Shanghi too.

Apart from what I said I dont really have a favourite track. I love certain corners more so than tracks eg turn 8 at Turkey, the 2nd turn at Spa Francochamps (Au Rouge, I think, and I know its not in this game sadly) and the old Bus Stop again at Spa, but sadly we waved goodbye to that last year :( . Also the turn after the long curved back straight at Melbourne, brilliant when you get it right. And the double apex turn 5/6 at Malaysia. Oh yeah and the final turn at Monaco, its like feeding thread through a needle. And the Ascari chicane at Monza. Hell, I could keep going on and on I love pretty much every corner. Especially the high speed, high G-force corners were you can almost feel the the grip and energy from the car and its even great fun when the energy overwhelms the grip, well when its not during a race!!

MOst Favorite

1. Suzuka
2. San Marino
3. Bahrain

Least Favorite

1. Indy
2. Catalunya
3. Monaco

I find ALL the tracks have something to offer, even if at first they seem unappealing: for example didn't like Indy at all at first, but now I enjoy the rhythm of the alternating tight turns.

Possible that Nurburgring & Imola are my favourites. Melbourne is my least favourite as I find the course a bit claustrophobic.

For me, the key in F1:CE is finding the rhythm for each track - you need to be able to drive almost by feel rather than by sight: brake, shift down, coast for a second, accelerate, shift up etc. I wonder how close that is to the experience of actual F1 racing?

I find all the tracks give up their secrets with the right rhythm. When I get into the "zone" it truly becomes muscule memory and feel. The retirement points and turn ins come from a sort of flow. I'm sure the actual sight picture is more subconcious, but I find as I "Use the force" my speed goes up and times tumble. Still no substitute for a good setup, but once I get into the zone I find time that had seemed to elude me before. It seems sometimes in going slower, you can be faster. Better exit speed than entry.

I truly miss Spa and "The Green Hell" and I'd love to have some of the Vintage Tracks also, but I understand the work that is involved.

I wish that the active Suspension cars and ground effects cars were included. The FW 18 isn't slow but Mansell's Red 5 and the Banned Lotus GA cars and the "Chopper's" P 34 Tyrell would be welcome additions.

Imola definative Favorite
Monza sheer history
Bahrain and China for the Tilke era

Don't dislike any but least favorite I'd say Indy which may or maynot be back!

Just my Thoughts for what its worth

Robert

I truly miss Spa and "The Green Hell" and I'd love to have some of the Vintage Tracks also, but I understand the work that is involved.

I agree totally: one of the things that would make F1:CE really perfect would be the possibility to race the "vintage cars" - at least against AI, if not online. The handling, especially of the older cars, is so different it would make for a completely different experience (nice to deal with balancing understeer & oversteer for a change!).

I find all the tracks give up their secrets with the right rhythm. When I get into the "zone" it truly becomes muscule memory and feel. The retirement points and turn ins come from a sort of flow. I'm sure the actual sight picture is more subconcious, but I find as I "Use the force" my speed goes up and times tumble. Still no substitute for a good setup, but once I get into the zone I find time that had seemed to elude me before. It seems sometimes in going slower, you can be faster. Better exit speed than entry.

Just my Thoughts for what its worth

Robert

You are absolutely right, getting to a point where you can feel your way through a course seems to correlate with faster lap times. It just takes seemingly innumerable laps, at least for me, to get to that point. Fun and tedious at the same time.

Lads

I'm glad you find my thoughts strike a note of truth. I usually go to Saturday Practice hit adv time twice and develop the setup during those 30 minutes. Then on to Quali with some minor changes for race setup at the end of Q3. Sometimes more or less downforce or a different longer gear as not to spread parts on the pavement. I like to race at least 12 laps to get the feel of the tires and setup on longer runs where tire management become much more important. It's so easy to run off on a 6 lap race and pay no penalty for using up the skins. Learning racecraft is so hard to do, because we're all so impatient to win. As it's said, "you can't win a race in the first corner, but it can come to tears very easily". I will sometimes use a 1st half strategy that keeps in touch with the leader but is just a bit conservative. Take a later box and push for two or three and build a 15 second lead and manage it.

The right TC settings will help you better save those rears for a late push if needed. Tc works like this 0% allows no slippage by cutting spark and or fuel duration and 100 % allows no interference or direct driver input. Too much, tooo soon and you'll light 'em up. I have taken race engine software mapping courses from Bosch and others to better adapt the fuel injected engined used today, Both street and track. Track conditions as well as grip levels of each venue dictate how much TC for each track and even time of day. For the purpose of this Game you can fine tune it somewhere between 5 and 15 % with a good test program and watching replays for tiresmoke and wheelspin.

A unique quirk in this game in TT you can exit the pit by a car length and then back up and it will deliver you to the same exact spot every time on the track next to the pits (box). You can then do accel tests to a land mark or 100 meter sign and time youself for improvement and watch for wheel spin. Actual fact is you need some wheel spin for a good launch and a little less for race conditions. Hence the 3 presets. Launch, race and warmup or burnout presets. Pretty Cool and very useful.

One area that the game seems to be adrift about is the camber. In world application the levels are very high on the fronts and moderated on the rears to make the best use of the tire's footprint in side load. The game however makes the use of real world numbers a dissapointingly undriveable machine.Time youself through senna S's at Brazil with your best camber set. Now try it with 0.0 fr and rr and see how much harder and faster you can go through! Probably should have kept that to myself, But...I'm a race engineer at heart.

It' easy to lose your way during hugh numbers of laps, take 30 minutes and work up a good test program and you'll have more fun and be faster.

I have some test programs available and if anyone is interested i will post it.

Have fun and be Safe !

Robert
Me in my favorite office!
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=64396&d=1203005395

Hey Rob. Be a pal and post your programs please or e mail them to me. Ifind your comments helpful and will give them a try.
Keep it on the black stuff.:)

Popeye or aka Super K

I'm still "editng" editing but will send it along to you and couple of others for final look before publishing.

Cheers
Robert

In Aviation we say "Keep the greasy side down!" but it apploes to Motorsports.

i do really love monza and bahrain
i hate turkey sink into my own personal hell round that track and same for suzuka

Yeah I actually enjoy just about all the tracks. It's usually specific corners on various tracks that I hate. But bye and large they are all challenging and each has it's own rhythm that one must find and become comfortable with. On each track, the first time I find that rhythm, or at least come fairly close to finding it, I always feel a shot of adrenaline and exhilaration.

That being said I'd still probably have to go with Monza as my least favorite, probably a tie with Indy. Most favorite, right now.... Budapest I guess. I've really come to enjoy Shanghi too.

I know the feeling, that little jump that you get, I often get it when I nail the turn eleven to twelve straight on Melbourne, or on the last part of the Hockenheim circuit.

My favourite tracks are Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve, Hungaroring and Magny-Cours. For my least favourite circuit I would have to say Suzuka, but this is probably because I am basing this opinion on the fact that I find this course very difficult to race without coming off.

Based on the Demo I played, I really love Monza. Partly because I know it well from another game and partly because it has a very good flow to it. Its feels like I'm edge more then I was on Total Immersion racing and that was pretty edgy. IN one of the races I did, I was able to get through the lismo corners in 4th gear on Medium with assists off.Mostly due to inexperience, I don't like Indy. There's no flow there. "sigh" Wish I had a PS3 right now to drive the other ones I reconize like Valencia, Silverstone, Hockenheim, Suzuka, and Monaco. Anyone here that lives near me and has a PS3?

Based on the Demo I played, I really love Monza. Partly because I know it well from another game and partly because it has a very good flow to it. Its feels like I'm edge more then I was on Total Immersion racing and that was pretty edgy. IN one of the races I did, I was able to get through the lismo corners in 4th gear on Medium with assists off.Mostly due to inexperience, I don't like Indy. There's no flow there. "sigh" Wish I had a PS3 right now to drive the other ones I reconize like Valencia, Silverstone, Hockenheim, Suzuka, and Monaco. Anyone here that lives near me and has a PS3?

Valencia?? Thats not in the 2006 season, Catalunya is the only Spanish track and Jerez as a bonus track. Valencia street circuit is only being built now for its debut later this year.

Valencia?? Thats not in the 2006 season, Catalunya is the only Spanish track and Jerez as a bonus track. Valencia street circuit is only being built now for its debut later this year.
Sorry I meant Catalunya.

I dislike Catalunya and Instanbul. I really cannot get a feel for thoes tracks no matter how many laps I do.

I like too many but I'll do my best to keep the numbers down.
Monza - Old habbits are hard to break.
Montreal - Doesn't need a reason, it's just awsome.
Hockenheim - Even though it's been butchered, I still love it.
Imola - Great feel. Great layout.

And every other track.. lol..

I don't dislike Indy, but I don't highly rate it. It is very bland and doesn't have much character but I don't think it's boring. I did a full GP Weekend there and thought they could've made it a little bit better. But after 30 laps I got into a rythem and my opinon from dislike quickly changed. But in saying that, I'm not disappointed in seeing it go.

Wayne

I dislike Catalunya and Instanbul. I really cannot get a feel for thoes tracks no matter how many laps I do.

I like too many but I'll do my best to keep the numbers down.
Monza - Old habbits are hard to break.
Montreal - Doesn't need a reason, it's just awsome.
Hockenheim - Even though it's been butchered, I still love it.
Imola - Great feel. Great layout.

And every other track.. lol..

I don't dislike Indy, but I don't highly rate it. It is very bland and doesn't have much character but I don't think it's boring. I did a full GP Weekend there and thought they could've made it a little bit better. But after 30 laps I got into a rythem and my opinon from dislike quickly changed. But in saying that, I'm not disappointed in seeing it go.

Wayne

i'm with you on every single track you listed with the same exact reasons!
in the case of instanbul, i hate the first half (1.5 sectors :sly:).... the 2nd half gets "better"...
i always lose traction and spin/oversteer on turn 4 of instanbul... no matter how i set up the car... somebody help me with tuning please!

in terms of indianapolis, the in-field is really nothing special, but what's cool about that is that you can unleash the full speed on the oval for about 30 seconds and then back to the slow chicanes again...

somebody needs to admit that bahrain is really similar to imola... i dont know why, but i just think they're extremely similar, even though they're not... i love both, but bahrain is my favourite...

also shanghai is just like the one in malaysia... i hate shanghai, but somehow i've gotten to like malaysia...

montreal and melbourne are also similar, but i hate melbourne with a passion and love montreal...

don't forget, there's 2 new tracks for this season... they'll hopefully be our new favourites =)

somebody needs to admit that bahrain is really similar to imola... i dont know why, but i just think they're extremely similar, even though they're not... i love both, but bahrain is my favourite...

also shanghai is just like the one in malaysia... i hate shanghai, but somehow i've gotten to like malaysia...

montreal and melbourne are also similar, but i hate melbourne with a passion and love montreal...

don't forget, there's 2 new tracks for this season... they'll hopefully be our new favourites =)

How are Imola and Bahrain similar? Imola is an undulating circuit in lush countryside with high downforce and short gear ratio. Bahrain is flat, in the middle of the desert, relatively low downforce with plenty of boring straights and a long gear ratio.

Montreal is a lot like Melbourne you're right, lots of long flat out parts interupted by chicanes.

And yeah Shanghai is a lot like Malaysia, no doubt cos they're both Tilke's circuits. Shanghai is a seriously boring lap though whereas yes, Malaysia has some cool corners.

I cannot WAIT to play the 2009 game at Spa.

Favorite : Imola
Hatred: Hockenheim UGH

Really, I think Hockenheim is underrated. See that stadium complex and the final two corners are brilliant, then you've got that mega fast right hander into turn one. If you have enough downforce you can find the right line for that consistently. Its really fun flying over that kerb and then drawing back onto the track, it feels mega fast.

Latest Posts

Back