Ferrari 296 GTB (F171) - Hybrid V6

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
118837121_2576616792649794_4648870464016692533_o.jpg

118853726_2576616039316536_7375983934802141299_o.jpg

118845226_2576616432649830_1465689620933693627_o.jpg

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/02/f...-a-twin-turbo-hybrid-v6-could-produce-700-hp/

Codenamed F171, the new supercar has been spied testing on multiple occasions throughout Italy and Scandinavia and will be the automaker’s first model to use its long-awaited, V6 hybrid powertrain.

Car Magazine understands that this powertrain will be a 3.0-liter V6 sporting two turbochargers and a hybrid pack that aims to eliminate lag, torque fill, and provide added grunt. The electric motor is expected to be mounted inline with the crank. The engine will sport a 120° vee angle to lower the center of gravity and on its own, should pump out roughly 590 HP. This figure will rise to 700 HP with the e-motor and will make the F171 the perfect rival to the hybrid McLaren Artura.

Looking beyond the engine, it is reported the F171 will be underpinned by an aluminum-intensive architecture that’s set to underpin a host of new Ferrari models. This new chassis will have a shorter wheelbase than the F8.

The mule's wacky SF90 Stradale front paired with the 488 rear is very funny to me. Very exciting to see more performance hybrids!

I think with this and the Roma, it proves Ferrari (Pininfarina?) can still do voluptuous curves.

I'm also liking the subtle stylistic nods to the 250 LM. 👍

It’s good but it kind of screams “budget SF90” to me. Also weird to see a V6 pegged above the F8 Tributo in terms of performance but I guess that’s just going to become more common as time goes on.

Is it weird I would like it better if it "only" had 500hp? Like just imagine a 2500lbs, 500hp Ferrari that looked like this for $200k, like an exotic/premium Alpine A110S. Surely there is a market for that? It's definitely a better looking car than a lot of their recent efforts though, with the possible exception of the Roma. Even the interior is a step back from crazytown. Overall, yes, it's hard not to like...I just wish it was a little less of a monster.

It's not unattractive, but I can't possibly be the only one seeing an awful lot of GT40 Mk I in there.

It's not unattractive, but I can't possibly be the only one seeing an awful lot of GT40 Mk I in there.
Lots of Stratos in the window line too.

While i'm a fan of clean designs, I think this one takes it too far. Everything doesn't need to look like it was sculpted with an axe while on an acid trip - in other words Lamborghini - but this one has absolutely no interesting details on it. Or any details, for that matter.

It's mostly pretty but I'll be damned if Ferrari is just never satisfied unless they ruin some potentially perfect detail in the design but the photos that highlight it weren't posted above.

affdea9073fcd443a239c499ef964e6e.jpg
79dd17552acc8b43779acbb9088f58a5.jpg

While the buttressed rear window is a classic retro detail that is really cool, the rear fender bulges are not. I don't know who needs to hear this but random bubble popping out of an otherwise horizontal feature are not a good look. From the edge of the side air intake to the spoiler is basically a horizontal line but then the rear wheel bulges blister up out of nowhere and it looks awful. This area of the car should all be combined into a smooth flowing curve just like you would expect of the rear fender on any other beautiful sports car. The front end has a smooth curve but the rear end of this thing is a hodgepodge of shapes and it looks like a completely different car. Reminds me of the fenders on this Maserati which are atrocious.

Maserati-A6GCS-53-Fantuzzi-Spyder-145918.jpg

In general this 296 is so close to being pretty but once again Ferrari manages to put together a car with multiple competing design languages. I'm not sure why they do this, come up with a gorgeous limited edition like he Monza SP and then completely botch a near-perfect road car. They need to simply give up designing their own cars and let Italdesign handle it.

Anyways, I like the multi-colored livery better.

b187d2b40697fcaa9915a967bf7ba754.jpg
e73ecbe06ad7dde816a18c81bd12e80a.jpg

Edit:

in-the-60s-no-road-c-12_800x0w.jpg

Smooth smooth smooth smooth BLISTER BULGE

Last edited:
It's mostly pretty but I'll be damned if Ferrari is just never satisfied unless they ruin some potentially perfect detail in the design but the photos that highlight it weren't posted above.

While the buttressed rear window is a classic retro detail that is really cool, the rear fender bulges are not. I don't know who needs to hear this but random bubble popping out of an otherwise horizontal feature are not a good look. From the edge of the side air intake to the spoiler is basically a horizontal line but then the rear wheel bulges blister up out of nowhere and it looks awful. This area of the car should all be combined into a smooth flowing curve just like you would expect of the rear fender on any other beautiful sports car. The front end has a smooth curve but the rear end of this thing is a hodgepodge of shapes and it looks like a completely different car. Reminds me of the fenders on this Maserati which are atrocious.
The 250LM takes offense at your hypothesis.

250-lm-lede-1507037261.jpg

Admittedly not Ferrari's finest design, but it's where those styling clues originate.

Last edited:
The 250LM takes offense at your hypothesis.

View attachment 1062330
That is the exact car I was trying to find a picture of because frankly it's so butt-ugly that I forgot what it was but knew it was bad. I mean sure it's worth money because it's a Ferrari and old people love old cars but it truly is an awful piece of design.

maxresdefault.jpg

Round headlights, rectangular foglights, oval grille, perpendicular oval openings on either side which are neither aligned horizontally or vertically with either adjacent feature, a flat beltline blossoming into a giant bubble rear fender mounted forward of a sagging ass, all topped with a submarine's conning tower. Anybody who likes this thing has too much money and not enough eyeballs.

To be fair it was their first proper stab at a mid-engine design and they were trying to ‘do’ a GTO on an unfamiliar layout. I’ve said it before and no doubt will say it again, manufacturers frequently get the initial design of a new segment/model wrong, from a styling point of view.

Not to mention that the 250 LM was first and foremost a racing car, and looks have very little value in such an application if it's fast. It was - so mission completed. The facelifted 250 GTO from which it was derived though, well let's not go there. I have no idea how such a beautiful design as the original GTO can even be ruined so completely.

Like a baby SF90. $350K for 800Hp+ though. I'm sure Ferrari won't have issue selling out the first 48 months of production.

It looks stunning from some angles, and a hodge podge of designs from others. Also the rear engine bay looks way too big for a V6. I dunno, this just feels like a poor man's SF90 from a power and price point of view.

The rear end is a Corvette copy. :D

The front end up until the A-pilar is too short/small compared to the rest of the car.

It looks a bit like this:
View attachment 1062677
I'm not seeing the resemblance. But since you brought it up, the Asterion was a beautiful car that was unfortunately a few years ahead of its time. With current battery and hybrid technology, I think this car as a grant tourer would be successful, especially considering McLaren introduced their own mid-engined GT.

Reminds me of the McLaren Arctura which is also a hybrid twin turbo 3.0 v6.... I dont really care for that kind of future to be honest.

We knew downsizing of engines would be inevitable but yeah...

Despite the power deficit, the Artura would certainly be my preferred choice over this. While it probably looks better in person, the swollen rear wheel arch looks off to me. TheSketchMonkey's take on the redesign remedies this problem (plus the more traditional tail lights are a massive improvement too):

Yeah I dont know what they are thinking. They should have never left the four round tail lights... like the Corvette, like the Skyline.

Despite the power deficit, the Artura would certainly be my preferred choice over this. While it probably looks better in person, the swollen rear wheel arch looks off to me. TheSketchMonkey's take on the redesign remedies this problem (plus the more traditional tail lights are a massive improvement too):

Total transformation. I agree with every change he made.
Yeah I dont know what they are thinking. They should have never left the four round tail lights... like the Corvette, like the Skyline.
Corvette has done a good job in my opinion of modernizing the four traditional lamps. The C7 and C8 both still have four distinct lamps especially when they're lit up but the styling actually makes sense in the context of the car. The shape of the lamps themselves doesn't really matter as long as the intent is clear. For example, keeping the suggestion of four round headlights is one of the only things BMW has done right lately. The 296's treatment just doesn't cut it.

hard disagree there

the corvette should always be FR w/ choice of a manual box... and round lights, like the C6

the C8 is something, i dont know what and I dont care at this point

the world still has a lot of choices before the inevitable in 2030/35

The thing I've learned about modern Ferraris is that they always look hit-or-miss in their press photos. In person, is where one can really see the design cues and the little details; personal experience, I've always come to really like the designs once afterwards.

Don't agree with the video of the redesign. Ferrari is clearly trying to distinguish the Hybrid line into its own look, hence why this & the SF90 share a similar approach (the 296 was even called a new segment, not a F8 replacement). So, there's a good reason they don't want it having 4 tail lights, sweeping, tall headlamps, or a smoothed ridge line over the rear wheels b/c they don't want it to look like a Hybrid F8-esque car. I have read some sources this could start around $280K (per dealer est.), but it's also quite likely to start north of $300K. Which is all the more reason Ferrari wants this looking more like its own new, unique design that carries more from the hyper-expensive (in comparison) SF90 than the other mid-engine cars.

Frank Stephenson also gives a 296 GTB redesign a shot (jump to 17:51 for the renders)

Frank also adds round taillights, opting for dual rather than quad lights... Though I think I prefer TSM's take. What I'm surprisingly impressed by are the adjustments around the windows; the redesigned model has a LaFerrari vibe and instantly feels more upmarket.

This is the most tidy, purposeful and pretty Ferrari since the F355. No garish random body trim or tacked on lights that have plagued the brand since the Enzo. No fussy F1 shapes. No semblance of front heaviness with most of the car seemingly being just behind the front wheels.

And it's a hybrid twin turbo V6 mid engined car that doesn't weigh 4000 pounds.

Last edited:
Back