"Ferrari introduced the latest evolution of its gran turismo - the 400 Superamerica - at the 1960 Brussels Motor Show. It retained the Superamerica moniker, though the shared little with its immediate predecessor. The 400 SA chassis was based heavily on the refined 250 series and featured a number of noteworthy mechanical updates including four-wheel disc brakes, a fully synchronized gearbox with overdrive and telescopic shock absorbers.
One of the largest updates was the powerplant. The early 'America' series used the Lampredi long block, but Ferrari ceased production of the motor in 1959. The Superamerica was given a larger variation of the Colombo V-12 engine, displacing 4-liters and fitted with three Weber carburetors. The V-12 engine produced as much power as the outgoing 410 Superamerica and benefitted from improved low-RPM torque and maintenance.
In 1960, at the Torino Motor Show, Ferrari introduced the Superfast II. The appearance of the Superfast II would directly impact the appearance of the 400 Supercars that followed.
This 1963 Ferrari 400 Superamerica Coupe Aerodinamico was as a bare chassis frame to the Pininfarina plant in Torino on July 9th of 1963. The work was completed in September of that year. It had the covered-headlight arrangement and was finished in light metallic gray, Grigio Argento, with black leather upholstery and red carpets. The car served as Pininfarina's display at the XLV Annual Torino Motor Show in the fall of 1963.
After the show, it was sold to its first owner, Sig. Severi of Lanificio del Montello S.p.A. in Modena, Italy. The early history is not fully known, but by the late 1960s it was in the United States. During the 1980s, it was sold to Ed Waterman's Thoroughbred Motorcars in Arlington, Virginia and was repainted in red. It was then sold to Richard Gorman who in turn sold it to Craig Zinn of Florida. By the late 1980s, it was in the care of Waterman's Motorcar Gallery in Fort Lauderdale before arriving at Mille Miglia Inc. in Los Angeles.
In the early 1990s, it went back across the Atlantic and became part of the Rex Collection in Stockholm, Sweden, before traveling to Buenos Aires and into the care of Daniel Sielecki. A short time later, it was painted and reupholstered.
In the care of its most recent owner, the car was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Pebble Beach, California. It was estimated to sell for $1,200,000-1,500,000. As bidding came to a close, the car failed to find a buyer willing to satisfy its reserve. It would leave the auction unsold.
By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2011
Introduced in 1959, the Ferrari 400 Superamerica featured a Colombo-designed 4-liter, V12 engine and was the first Ferrari road car to be fitted with disc brakes. Ferrari's fast and luxurious Pininfarina-styled 400 Superamerica Coupe Aerodinamico replaced the outgoing 410 model and continued the marque's tradition of custom-built supercars. Each was specially built with no two exactly alike. The Superamerica was exclusive, driven by Enzo himself as well as by the Aga khan, Italian industrialist Gianni Agnelli, European royalty and Hollywood stars. Only 47 short- and long-wheelbase Superamericas were built during the car's five-year production run, and this is one of only 14 with covered headlights. Since 1998 the car has been owned by its current second owner, who has driven it on many rallies.Coupe Aerodinamico
This Ferrari was originally built and owned by Nelson Rockefeller and is one of 34 coupes built over five years. The coachwork is by Pininfarina.
Rockefeller wanted a silver car and had it repainted. In 1999, the original color was discovered in restoration along with the build sheets.
In the late 1980s, the car was sold in Europe and returned to the United States in the early 1900s. The car was actually raced in hill climbs by subsequent owners and also did the Colorado Grand.
In 2000, the current owner's acquired the car and use it for drives and tours.
Sold for $2,915,000 at 2014 RM Auctions. Ferrari's grand touring luxury automobile of the early 1950s, beginning with the 342 America, continued to evolve over the years. In 1956, Ferrari introduced the 410 Superamerica that would go through three series of limited production. It had a graceful exterior, sophisticated interior appointments, and a powerful Lampredi engine. However, they were heavy and unforgiving and somewhat limited by drum brakes and four-speed gearboxes.
In October of 1959, at the Turin Auto Show, Ferrari introduced the new Superamerica which was intended at addressing these limitations. Chassis number 1517 SA had a unique brushed aluminum coupe coachwork by Pinin Farina and was essentially a one-off showcar. Its underpinnings, however, we soon produced in series in the 400 Superamerica. One of the main differences from its predecessor was the use of the Colombo short-block V-12, which was bored from its 250 GT dimensions to displace nearly four liters. It had an outside-plug arrangement which had been proven effective in the Testarossa sports racers. The 400 also had Dunlop disc brakes, as well as an overdrive that increased the top-end ratio by 28-percent.
The early examples of the 400 Superamerica were built on the short 2420-millimeter wheelbase and given coachwork by Pinin Farina. That all changed in November of 1960, with the appearance of a new show car. That car, chassis number 2207 SA, was called the Superfast II, and it had a pointed open-mouth nose, a slippery roof, and a fastback tail. Aerodynamics was certainly important on the car, and it featured retractable pop-up headlights and rear wheel skirts.
At the Geneva Motor Show the following year, the rear wheel skirts and retractable pop-up lights had been removed. The car at the show, chassis 2373 SA, became the basic blueprint for Pininfarina's Coupe Aerodinamico body style. Due to the semi-custom coachwork, no two Aerodinamicos were precisely the same.
At the London Motor Show in September 1962, Ferrari introduced a second-series 400 Superamerica on chassis number 3931 SA. It had the Aerodinamico body style now rested on the 250 GTE's 2600-millimeter chassis. This would be the platform for the remaining cars.
Series II production came to a close in 1964, with approximately 18 long-wheelbase Coupe Aerodinamicos constructed, and 35 Series II examples produced in total (including the earlier short-wheelbase examples).
This example, chassis number 4113 SA, is the twenty-third Aerodinamico-bodied 400 Superamerica and the sixth long-wheelbase Series II car built. It is the third of just four Series II coupes to be given open headlights. Job number 99548 entered Pininfarina's Grugliasco plant in October 1962, where it was finished in Grigio Argento and upholstered in Nero Connolly leather, and it was finally completed on April 13, 1963.
The first recorded owner, Farinac Fassi of Carazza, Italy, purchased the car on May 30. It was registered the following month on Turinese plates TO 543644, and it was then returned for service to the factory's Assistenza Clienti in Modena in June 1964, at which point the odometer displayed 23,118 kilometers.
Giuseppe Vito Sturda of Brindisi, Italy became the car's next owner, in June of 1966. Mr. Sturda registered the Aerodinamico with Brindisi tags that September. In 1969, the car was imported to the United States. By the late 1970s, the car was spotted in Los Angeles wearing Rosso Corsa and a beige interior. In August of 1980, it was sold to Ferrari West of Monterey, CA. Soon thereafter, it was purchased by Helga Ezazi of San Francisco.
Richard Mazer of San Francisco purchased the car less than two years later. The car remained with Mr. Mazer for 30 years. During most of that period, it was garaged and remained largely idle. In 2011, Mr. Mazer commissioned a partial rebuild of the matching-numbers V-12 motor. After the work was completed, the car was offered for sale. It was purchased by a New York based enthusiast.
Inn July 2013, the car was given a complete ground-up restoration. The body was stripped to bare metal and finished in Blu Sera Metallizzato paint, while the interior was trimmed with proper red Wilton carpeting and matching red leather. The work was completed in June of 2014.
By Daniel Vaughan | Nov 2014
The 500 Superfast was the last in a line of luxury Ferrari GT's. Introduced in 1964, production continued until 1966 with just 37 examples being produced.
Production of luxury Ferrari GT's began during the early 1950's with the introduction of the 342 America. Based on the 340 America, it featured a chassis that had been extended to provide ample interior space. The mechanics were similar, outfitted with a derivative of the Lampredi's 'long block' engine.
Next in line were the 250 Europa and 375 America. The Ferrari 375 was introduced at the Paris Salon in 1953. During its production run which lasted until May of 1954, less than 45 examples of the 375 America were produced. The car was constructed for Ferrari's clientele who had the means to afford one of these beautiful creations. Since they were produced in limited numbers, the production took far longer than volume models. Power was provided by a 4.5-liter Lampredi designed V-12 engine with either three twin choke Weber 40 DCZ or DCF downdraughts, resulting in 300 horsepower. On all four corners were drum brakes, Borrani wire wheels accented the exterior of the vehicle, and a leaf spring suspension was used in the front and the rear. With the four-speed manual gearbox, the car could achieve a top speed of 150 mph and could race from zero to sixty in less than seven seconds.
In regards to the 375, Pinin Farina was tasked with building the bodywork for many of the models. The Pinin Farina design shared a similarity with the 250 Europa's. The dimensions of several automobiles were similar but their interiors, wings, bumpers and detailing were all unique.
In 1955, Enzo Ferrari displayed a polished chassis #0423 SA at the Paris Salon. The completed version of the 410, crafted by the Italian coachbuilder Pinin Farina, was displayed at the Brussels Salon in January of 1956. As was the style of Ferrari, many variations of this vehicle were built. This is due to the fact that Ferrari used different coachbuilders during the vehicles assembly. Coachbuilders such as Boano, Ghia, and Scaglietti produced versions such as the Testa Rossa, Series I, II and III, and Superfast. This included Coupes and cabriolet versions. Mario Boano produced two, one by Ghia, one by Scaglietti, and the remaining thirty were by Pinin Farina.
The 410 came as a replacement for the 375 America. There were three series for this model but only a total of 38 were produced from 1956-1959.
Although similar to some of the earlier models produced by Ferrari, this one had a few styling changes. The 410 featured side vents located behind the front wheels. These have become a signature of the Superamerica series.
The 410 was given a larger engine and bigger brakes. Coil spring suspensions were used in the front. As with most of the Ferrari's from this era, Pinin Farina produced most of the bodies. From 1956-1958, a 110.2 inch wheelbase was used. In 1958 the size of the wheelbase was decreased to 102.3.
In 1959 Ferrari ceased production of the Lampredi engine. Instead, a Colombo deigned 'short block' V-12 engine would provide the power for the next iteration of Ferrari Luxury GT's, the 400 SuperAmerica. A few years later, the four-liter engine was enlarged to five and the final increment of the Luxury GT's was introduced: the Ferrari 500 Superfast. The five liter engine was capable of producing 400 horsepower. The aerodynamic bodies complimented its engine and did glory to the Superfast name. Top speed was achieved at 175 mph. The chassis was multi-tubular. A four-speed manual gearbox with overdrive provided power to the rear wheels. Later, the four-speed was replaced by a all-synchromesh five-speed unit.
These special-order vehicles were customizable. Their dimensions, colors, upholstery, carpets, etc were selected by the owner. Because of this, the specifications vary.
The 500 Superfast was Ferrari's fastest, most expensive, most exclusive, and most powerful vehicle at the time. With production only reaching 37 units, their exclusivity is guaranteed in modern times.
By Daniel Vaughan | Feb 2006
An ultra-rare, extremely expensive, very fast vehicle, the Superamerica featured a low grille opening and covered headlights. With a long sloping rear deck combine with the double curvature of the windshield and rear window, the car had a taut, muscular look in keeping with its performance capability. Built as if for a king, the inside of the Ferrari 400 Superamerica features a lavish interior with thickly bolstered seats and sumptuous Italian hides.
Introduced in 1959, the Ferrari 400 Superamerica featured a Colombo V12 that displaced 3,967 cc. A first for Ferrari road vehicles, the Superamerica also boasted disc brakes. Only 47 units in two series, short and long wheelbase were ever constructed during the Superamerica's five-year production run.
Built to order, the vehicles featured a very demanding clientele that had the option of a wide choice of finishing details on their cars. The Superamerica was built only according to the specifications of the individual. An entirely European concept, the vehicle was a kind of luxury item that only few could afford. In accordance, no two Ferrari 400 Superamerica vehicles are ever exactly alike. These vehicles have been produced for elite owners such as Aga Khan, Gianni Agnelli, Enzo Ferrari and Nelson Rochefeller.
One of the rarest examples of the Ferrari 400 Superamerica is the 5029 SA, the Series II long-wheelbase, which was delivered new in Italy. Finished in elegant silver gray; Grigio Argento, with an exquisite red leather interior. Sold in 1998 in Switzerland, the 5029 SA was restored fully by some of the most respected European specialists.
Still recovering from World War II during the late 1940s and early 1950's, while Europe struggled with the scarcity of fuel, cash, and raw materials, Enzo Ferrari sensed that there was a market for a high-powered GT. The 340 America was introduced in 1950 as the first attempt to put a powerful Lampredi V12 engine in a Ferrari GT. Trying to associate the name with America's ‘bigger is better' culture, Ferrari also sought to make the Americans aware of this new Italian marque.
Popular hits, the 340, 342 and 375 America's were featured in an assortment of beautiful bodies from Italy's most talented carrozezrias, and powered by Ferrari's legendary Lampredi engines. The Ferrari's 250 series had changed the company from a manufacturer of short runs of rapidly evolving models to a series-production-based manufacturer by the mid 1950's. Feeling that it was time to move up-market, Enzo Ferrari moved on to produce a GT model that would satisfy his most demanding and affluent customers. This new model would share a common drivetrain and chassis, but would allow the customers the discretion in the choice of features, tune and coachwork. A step above the previous ‘America', this new model was aptly called the Superamerica.
The 410 Superamerica debuted in 1956 following the ‘more power is better' theme of the earlier ‘America's, while featuring a near-5-liter Lampredi V12 and offered in tuning levels up to 400 horsepower. Reportedly able to spin the rear wheels in third gear, a total of around 35 examples were produced in vastly different configurations as both cabriolets and coupes.
Following the 410, the 400 Superamerica was an impressive automobile, but unfortunately fell short of the 410. The refined Colombo-designed V12 was a more reliable and less expensive alternative to the Lampredi, and a 4-liter version of the Colombo engine was developed for the 400 Superamerica. Rated at 340 horsepower, the new V12 was sadly 60 less than the very powerful 410 engine.
On the other hand, the coachwork options were more impressive. An impressive array of coupe and cabriolet models in both LWB and SWB variations were commissioned, and four show cars called Superfast I, II, III and IV were produced during the 410/400 Superamerica's production run. Featuring Superamerica mechanicals and are apart of the Superamerica family, they are classified by their Superfast chassis number.
The 500 Superfast was introduced in 1964 as the newest car to the ‘America' series and followed the ultra-premium ‘America' theme, though only offered with one engine and body configuration. A total of 36 500 Superfast models were produced." http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z8775/Ferrari-400-Superamerica.aspx