FF car physics.

• Thread starter 1989therat
  • 11 comments
Well they may not be the greatest of drivetrains but GT3 took it to the extreme. and our '03 Grand Am GT doesn't handle near as bad as the FF cars in GT3. I just hope they will be able to post better laps and keep up with low HP FR's MR's and 4wd's.:)

I hope this isn't considered necroposting...

I thought the FF Celica SS-II handled very well. I think saying that FF cars handle like crap is an incorrect statement. Understeering can definitely be a big problem to racing, but the fact that it's usually easier to correct understeer than it is to correct oversteer makes FF's predictable behavior good for all racing abilities - novice to pro.

FF cars in GT3 handle like actual FF cars really.. FF cars understeer under acceleration, that is a known fact... There are plenty of good ways to drive FF cars.. Just be wary of accelerating through corners with FF cars, unlike FR cars where accelerating through a corner generally produces oversteer.. accelerating with drive coming from the front wheels like in an FF will produce understeer...

FF cars turn surprisingly well once you get the hang of it and can compete with FR cars..

Originally posted by 1989therat
Well they may not be the greatest of drivetrains but GT3 took it to the extreme. and our '03 Grand Am GT doesn't handle near as bad as the FF cars in GT3. I just hope they will be able to post better laps and keep up with low HP FR's MR's and 4wd's.:)

I think GT3 portrayed FF cars very well, and you say your grand Am handle near as bad, how fast do you generally drive your car? Understeer doesnt exactly kick in during city driving.

Originally posted by lsk8er
FF cars generally do handle like crap(understeer).

Only if you don't know how to drive one, you can drive an FF car as fast as alot of similarly powerd FR cars if your experienced with them, especially in racing trim look at the old BTCC cars, they could go fast as f!(k round a track.

In GT3 there really weren't that many FF race cars, but in Prologue there's the Lupo Cup car and the Celica touring car, and they handle quite well. I've kind changed my driving style since GT3(I'm trying to learn to trail brake more) so I can't really compare unless I go back to GT3 right now and try some of the cars.

Fwd cars dont necessarily understeer on the power, and most will oversteer when you lift (to some degree).

Integra's (especially the type-r) have some nice oversteer off the gas, and are nearly neutral on the gas thanks to the LSD in the front end.

The focus RS exhibits nearly no understeer on the power because it runs a great quaife diff, which while making it s a little torque-steerey on bumpy roads allows it to fly round corners on a track. Of course, you don't need a LSD in a fwd to have a great car for the track...

I hope the peugeot 205 gti makes it into gt4 (anyone know if pug have signed up? It is THE car, next to the t-16 of course ;)). Great lift oversteer allows you to really nail it in corners. Just lift a touch and drift into the apex, then mash the gas and run wide onto the outer kerb. Perfect fwd cornering! :D

I haven't tested all of the cars yet (mostly because trying to get all gold has got me very occupied ATM), but if you compare the handling characteristics of the Celica SS-II Tuner Car and the Lancer Evolution 8 MR (from one of the later tests) - they are polar opposites.

The Celica handles very neutral through the turns and is a great drive, while the Evo 8 MR has VERY harsh understeer on the gas and a good bit of oversteer off the gas.

Best Motoring did a DVD exhibiting the Evo 8 and I seem to recall them discussing the drive characteristics of the different versions of the Evo 8 and the harsh understeer didn't seem too bad to the drivers in the video. But I'll have to watch it one more time to refresh my memory.

Back