FF Pro race 1

• Thread starter ving
  • 3 comments
Race 1 -
Deep Forest Raceway 2
10 laps (36.008 km)

Like I say, "Nothing like a quick race before work to get me thru the day" :)

An early morning start it was at the Depp Forrest raceway, so after a quick shower I dressed in my race clothes and headed down to the track. I was not looking forward to this twisting undulating monster of a course as it is my least favourite.

So in a cold sweat I hoped in my stock Citroen Xara and headed down the to marshalling area..... TOO LATE!!!

Aaarrghh!! Slept in again. I missed qualifying.

Steaming with anger at my own stupidity I rolled up to the last place on the grid. Just wanting the race over and done with I didn't pay attention to my opponents thinking it would be an easy race anyhow.

GREEN LIGHTS! An we are off!
I over took most of the opponents by the first high speed corner noting who of consequence I passed, bland non descript.... Another one..... Beetle cup car! (hmm...keep that in mind).... Celica of some kind.... And into 2nd place. Who was this car that zipped well away for me and the rest of the pack?

3 laps down and I catch up to the said car, it's a spoon civic (wtf is a spoon civic?) And I sit on its tail for a few more laps deciding to overtake it on the 6th lap 1st corner.
I realise now I just have to hole it off but by the 7th lap my front tires are showing considerable wear at the dark orange stage and the civic hasn't pitted. Meanwhile the beetle has been slowly creeping up and I just 7 seconds behind me.

9th lap, under the bridge and I am too fast, sliding the Xara into the embankment the civic overtakes and I struggle to regain composure and chase him down. I catch his tail on the final corner and go to chase him down the straight.... And he pits, WTF!!!, he could have one!!
I guess his tyres were worn to...

I decide not to pit too and continue even tho one of my front tyres is showing red. Racing this last last is slow as I have little front traction now..... Its half way through this lap the beetle, which has been just a few seconds back, make his move. Half a lap to go and he over takes and I am driving like a mad man to catch/keep up.

Down the last hill to the last corner where I am right on his tail, slipstreaming him, but just about out of control, I make my move and plant my foot. This is the slowest ever overtake I have done... Time seems to slow as I attempt to slide past my opponent and finally pass him just before reaching the finish line for a very narrow win.

Now for Rome.... sigh!:)

Good race my friend and I have to say the early morning run is always enjoyable...unless you lose! Ruins your whole day because you can't just re-race the competition. You have to deal with that loss all day long at work and plan out your revenge...

Nice slipstream on that last turn and I am impressed with your ability to keep your focus and wheels on the track in such a high-pressure situation. Red tires and the last turn in deep forest typically don't bring home the gold....

Those "last-lap" pit strategies are fun to watch by the AI. I have rolled the dice a couple of times in the Pro series with cars ahead of me that I gambled thinking they simply had to pit. I am probably 50/50 on those bets and when you roll 'snake-eyes' and lose...the sting runs deep.

Back