FIA Boss Stephane Fillastre Tells Us How the FIA Influences GT Sport's Tracks and Penalties

Great read.

It's interesting to see the perspective of someone from FIA who's humble enough to admit they're new to the eSports world and will learn with time and experience as well.

I also like his perspective on the penalties, but ingame the algorithm doesn't really work that well yet (which is normal, it takes time to make such a complex system work properly).

Also, Spa? :D

Haha Spa incoming :D
I think GTS will get Spa for a Christmas present wouldn’t that be a great present. Sure hope it will come soon.:bowdown:
Your post and avatar together just made me realise that if Spa gets put in the game then there will be an FIA race in the Merc F1. The first two corners of that should be a laugh.

He said the S-word

giphy.gif

Last edited:
The most interesting point for me: “Fantasy tracks is something completely different. We leave Gran Turismo with that, and we feel that’s right.”
So if they bring back the classic tracks in GTSport or the next game, I want 100% the same track and layout. I mean, the last turn at Trial Mountain, the crazy jumps at Seattle, the very close walls at the beginning and at the end of each tunnel for Grand Valley and Deep Forest...
Even the FIA understands how important the fantasy tracks are for GT.

@Famine did you have to sit on the interview because he mentioned Spa?
:lol:

No - Spa was one of GT6's tracks that was FIA-certified; Stephane could have used Silverstone as an example instead, but chose Spa. There's no significance to it that we're aware of. We're running some of the interview excerpts from Madrid this week in the lead up to the World's simply because they're cool FIA topics that will whet your appetite! We're big teases :D

There's a bit more to come from Stephane and we do have another really cool answer from Kazunori from the earlier interview (we left one bit out because it was so awesome :D ).

Still no news on the FIA DIGITAL RACING LICENSE :banghead::grumpy::confused:
From October 18th:
GTP: One feature mentioned early on was the Digital Racing License. Is that still in the works?
KY: It’s a major, major undertaking. It’s something that involves making a lot of decision together with all the automobile clubs around the world and the FIA. Rather than it being something technical that’s in the way, it’s about establishing a new set of rules. The automotive industry is a very conservative one so there’s a lot of things we have to work on. But it is a project that is moving forward!

:lol:

No - Spa was one of GT6's tracks that was FIA-certified; Stephane could have used Silverstone as an example instead, but chose Spa. There's no significance to it that we're aware of. We're running some of the interview excerpts from Madrid this week in the lead up to the World's simply because they're cool FIA topics that will whet your appetite! We're big teases :D

There's a bit more to come from Stephane and we do have another really cool answer from Kazunori from the earlier interview (we left one bit out because it was so awesome :D ).

Oh you tease :D

Oh no, please no Spa Hype again!

As I mentioned before, when Spa should really be introduced sometime, I'm afraid there will be a major wake up. Because, I wouldn't be surprised if it would end up like Monza, useless in online mode because of T1 and the chicane at the end.

The most interesting point for me: “Fantasy tracks is something completely different. We leave Gran Turismo with that, and we feel that’s right.”
So if they bring back the classic tracks in GTSport or the next game, I want 100% the same track and layout. I mean, the last turn at Trial Mountain, the crazy jumps at Seattle, the very close walls at the beginning and at the end of each tunnel for Grand Valley and Deep Forest...
Even the FIA understands how important the fantasy tracks are for GT.
If, only they thought of it being even more important for all race fans across the board and build an actual GTS Fantasy Track for Formula 1... One can dream right? :lol:

So you take Spa.....
350.png

I understand his perspective, but I think the hands-off "we'll let GTS do what it wants" has produced very uneven results. Right now the game is somewhere between FIA sanctioned and PD's "change the penalties and see if it helps" philosophy. I think this the wrong approach, especially if that digital license is eventually coming, because right now there's so much videogamey meta 🤬 in Sport mode that has no application to real-life racing.

350.png

I understand his perspective, but I think the hands-off "we'll let GTS do what it wants" has produced very uneven results. Right now the game is somewhere between FIA sanctioned and PD's "change the penalties and see if it helps" philosophy. I think this the wrong approach, especially if that digital license is eventually coming, because right now there's so much videogamey meta 🤬 in Sport mode that has no application to real-life racing.
PD are trying. As the article shows, with no human watching over the Sport Mode races, this is the only solution for PD. I'm sure we all have ideas and other systems have their methods, but PD do things their way. PDi are known to not follow what other games are doing. With some learning from the FiA, maybe we'll see virtual judging get better.

I'd be surprised if Spa isn't coming after the recent and frequent influx of highly regarded real world tracks.
Guess there are no patterns, but with tracks, have we been getting one Japanese track and then two European tracks all year?

Your post and avatar together just made me realise that if Spa gets put in the game then there will be an FIA race in the Merc F1. The first two corners of that should be a laugh.

Haha yeah for sure, wonder who’s gonna lift going side by side up eau rouge (:

I want to know what track I can pit late on and gain 15 seconds :lol:

Donington Park. I say that because Senna set the lap record during an abortive pit stop there in 1993 (pre-pit lane speed limits)! Track was shorter through the pits.

Another great article by the way. Love the insight from GT Planet.

Nice to see tacit admission from the FIA that human stewards are needed for fair online and esports racing.

So, can we now all just get back to the lobby system and SNAIL, WRS etc., and give up on this pipe dream?

Back