FIA Events '18 - World Finals Monaco Finished! Congrats to Team Lexus and Igor Fraga for Brazil!

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 2,544 comments
About Bop, my thinking is that its simply not possible to make it really fair in a group of different acceleration types FF, FH, 4WD and MR.

So, I don't blame PD that much for it. But, that "unfairness" alone wouldn't have been the killer for the most drivers in the event, if there hasn't been additionally the over- importance of the thursday- qualifying.

That doomed the second half of the participiants to the back places not in one but several races. They had then no other choise to risk more -what is nothing else then risking to ruin others- to not to go home with empty hands. And what was the consequence? Dozens of diveboms and crashes.

Last edited:
It's a shame, I honestly believe with the game, the driver talent pool they have and their willingness to put money into it (presentation, venues etc) they could be onto something really special with this format but they need to appreciate that good close racing is the biggest selling point.
gt sport dont remember what mr, fr, ff, 4wd are. they used to do in older games, like when u set up a lobby.

Should be restriction on wheel drive in gr.4 as well, that would actually provide som fun.

And gr.1 is totally broken. Same with gr.2 cars.

I think that's very hard to do,for that to happen they would need people to watch it on the Gran Turismo site because i'm sure Twitch and Youtube doesn't support that kind of thing.
but they could make a in car for every driver on youtube. If its 16 screens it might be messy..

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of months ago IOF had the #1 time in the Americas at LeMans for a Daily Race.

This was the first hot lap I ever watched that seemed totally unreal and impossible, like the car was being driven by an AI and not a human.

Usually when watching a fast lap replay I think to myself 'that looks like what Im doing, why am I so much slower?' I didnt think that when watching IOF's Lemans lap. It was the most perfect lap I had ever seen.

What was so crazy was that most of if not all of the top 10 times abused the track limits or straight cut the course in areas, but not IOF, and yet he still had the fastest time by over a second.

Thank you to all the participants, you guys put on a great show. I was rooting for Doodle, I know he has what it takes to make the top 16 but it just don't work out this year.

I was rooting for Doodle, I know he has what it takes to make the top 16 but it just don't work out this year.

Me, too. He had bad luck with the mentioned qualifying at thursday and was therefore doomed for the rest of the event to the last starting places. Nevertheless he did very good races though. I see him not only top 16 but top 8 at least

Now that the dust has settled a bit I’d like to brainstorm a bit on what I’d like to see from future events as far as adjustments and improvements go.

The first thing I’d really like to see is a second feed of the race that could be used in the broadcast to show another view of the race, live or replay, picture-in-picture. There have been too many instances of an interesting battle happening further down the grid as the camera cuts away to show the leader take the final fews turns and straight uncontested (prompting pleas of desperation from Jimmy). Now, showing the race winner winning the race is a necessary bit of footage, but if we were able to get a split screen between the two it would go a long way in improving the broadcast imo. This could also be used for battles going on in different places, or to show replays of incidents that come under investigation/incidents further back in the field

Another thing, I think there is a fundamental problem with the N500 and Gr.1 categories. It’s not just that they aren’t balanced, but that they are likely impossible to balance. The cars in these categories come from too diverse philosophies in their construction for them all to belong on the track together, Gr.1 being the worst offender imo. You have LMP hybrids against futuristic concepts vs 30 year old Group C cars. We all saw how egregious of an advantage the hybrid had at Monza, I don’t think this category should be looked at as competitive unless the hybrid functionality is removed for the races. I personally wouldn’t shed a tear to see this category gone from future events

The N500 class is a little bit trickier because I think they’ve produced good results. In addition, seeing production cars race around the circuit really evokes the feeling of vintage Gran Turismo, and I think is very much in the spirit of the series. I’d really like this category to stick around, although there may need to be some tweaks to the formula.

I’ve heard people advocate for more one-make races in the nations cup and I have to agree. At first I thought it would get a bit dull seeing all the races in X2014s (great as those races have been) but honestly there’s a roster full of underutilized cars that would make some interesting races with the right setup. The F1500, Honda one-seater, Mini VGT are just a couple examples of some interesting cars that I’ve never raced or seen race since a courtesy stint after I got them as a daily workout.

About the selection process, I have a few ideas. There are certainly standout vehicles in either direction in each category, and PD values showing a diverse field of cars, so I have a couple of ideas that could be used by themself or together. These both involve drivers selecting their own car. The first idea is that drivers can choose their own car, but the field is limited to 2 or 3 of a given vehicle. The selection could then be in a draft style. The second idea would be to take a cue from MOBAs and introducing bans, making a certain car ineligible for the next race (Both of these ideas probably have their own host of side effects, but they’re just thrown out there in the interest of reducing the lottery aspect of car/driver combinations, and generally not ending somebody’s race because they started in a McLaren. :lol:

I’d also love to see custom liveries used in the events. Using the liveries the racers use during the online season would probably be difficult with the various extra steps involved, probably impossible if the drivers won’t know what vehicles they’re using going into the weekend, but if it’s possible I think it would be worthwhile. Failing that, It would be nice to see some liveries made for the event similar to the X2014 and F150 one make races. Just something a little nicer than the regular liveries to look at.

Anyway, I’d be interested to see what sort of ideas you guys have.

I'm excited to see what Tidgney brings next year,we never got to see much of him in the finals because of the elimination rules(which kinda sucks,i wish even the last guy got a chance to do the repechage race)

My A game and hopefully a bit of luck haha! My VLOG will come out next Friday, and then the race analysis the Friday after that. Been absolutely bonkers at work, and then the PC on Tuesday decided it wanted to blue screen during the Driving school edit so that took me all day to fix as well!

One thing is for sure I still want to improve my speed by 1/2 tenths which I will be working hard on for the future.

One thing is for sure I still want to improve my speed by 1/2 tenths which I will be working hard on for the future.

That's the spirit Tidge!

Anyway, I’d be interested to see what sort of ideas you guys have.

A fair chance to recover. We don't want a luck competition. Every race should have its own 10min qualifying. If they feel that a stream shouldn't be longer than 2 hours, well, the races are known before so they could've done all qualifyings at thursday in this case for example. Meaning 1 for Block race, 1 for repechage race and 1 for the first race at Sunday.

I’d also love to see custom liveries used in the events. Using the liveries the racers use during the online season would probably be difficult with the various extra steps involved, probably impossible if the drivers won’t know what vehicles they’re using going into the weekend, but if it’s possible I think it would be worthwhile.
Yeah, I'm dreaming of a Live Event grid where there will be cars painted in ESports Team liveries for those who are part of it, and suddenly an Itasha out of nowhere stormed into the field and taking the race lead, making the ESports teams feel ashamed.
Failing that, It would be nice to see some liveries made for the event similar to the X2014 and F150 one make races. Just something a little nicer than the regular liveries to look at.
This one above is even more fitting into the spirit of the Nations Cup, especially if it represents a country like the X2014 does.

Oh and how about each Manufacturer gets to design a special World Final livery for their cars heading into the Manufacturer Series World Final to replace the stock livery?

My A game and hopefully a bit of luck haha! My VLOG will come out next Friday, and then the race analysis the Friday after that. Been absolutely bonkers at work, and then the PC on Tuesday decided it wanted to blue screen during the Driving school edit so that took me all day to fix as well!

Must've been bonkers to be there to see Igor run away on those hard tires at La Sarthe,if there's any positive side to being eliminated in the first races is that at least you got to appreciate a bit of the audience side of these events,no weight on your shoulders just enjoying the party.

It was a great show of everyone involved. Thank you guys!
The only thing i didnt like was seeing the best of the world racing in N500 class on a totally unrealistic racetrack. I just hope tokyos youth dont try this on the real streets. (FIA Action for road safety:lol:)
Everything else was top!!!

Another thing, I think there is a fundamental problem with the N500 and Gr.1 categories. It’s not just that they aren’t balanced, but that they are likely impossible to balance. The cars in these categories come from too diverse philosophies in their construction for them all to belong on the track together, Gr.1 being the worst offender imo. You have LMP hybrids against futuristic concepts vs 30 year old Group C cars. We all saw how egregious of an advantage the hybrid had at Monza, I don’t think this category should be looked at as competitive unless the hybrid functionality is removed for the races. I personally wouldn’t shed a tear to see this category gone from future events

Make it so people can only race on the real life hybrid modern Gr.1 cars,there will be repetition in the grid but that isn't a negative(it's better than a one make grid) and it might make the job of balancing the BoP easier for PD,they will be working with 3 real life cars instead of a mish mash of classics and future concepts.

The N500 class is a little bit trickier because I think they’ve produced good results. In addition, seeing production cars race around the circuit really evokes the feeling of vintage Gran Turismo, and I think is very much in the spirit of the series. I’d really like this category to stick around, although there may need to be some tweaks to the formula.

It pains me to admit that a grid full of different road cars is unfair to the drivers,it's great to see a Pantera battling with the R34.The solution to this class is the same for Gr.1 either stick with a One Make race(the Raptor race at Willow was great) or pick a few cars with a similar range of performance and try to balance them.

I’d also love to see custom liveries used in the events. Using the liveries the racers use during the online season would probably be difficult with the various extra steps involved, probably impossible if the drivers won’t know what vehicles they’re using going into the weekend, but if it’s possible I think it would be worthwhile. Failing that, It would be nice to see some liveries made for the event similar to the X2014 and F150 one make races. Just something a little nicer than the regular liveries to look at.

I think i have a solution for that,here are my 2 ideas

IDEA 1:
Ask each driver who qualified for the events to send a livery to PD(kinda like the photo contests on GTPlanet),they can create a livery or send someone else's livery and share them to PD with a hashtag(the social system in GTSport is built for this stuff).

IDEA 2:
Hold a contest with the community to send liveries to PD,it will kinda work like the championships,PD picks 10 livery options for each driver,the community votes for their favorite livery for each driver.It's a nice way to interact with the community.

IDEA 1:
Ask each driver who qualified for the events to send a livery to PD(kinda like the photo contests on GTPlanet),they can create a livery or send someone else's livery and share them to PD with a hashtag(the social system in GTSport is built for this stuff).

This was the idea I had, the only issue being if car selection was still an unknown it might be a bit cumbersome for drivers to send in liveries for all the cars they could potentially use that weekend.

This was the idea I had, the only issue being if car selection was still an unknown it might be a bit cumbersome for drivers to send in liveries for all the cars they could potentially use that weekend.

It is known that drivers have knowledge about some stuff about the events.But i think my second idea is better,community engagement is great for a online game and liveries are great for that,people will vote for what they will see at the events.

After watching the last race this morning for the first time, all I can say is wow. Fraga was just on a completely different level and using those hard tyres the way he did was outstanding.

I had no particular favourites through any of the events but given his starting position, I really wanted Fraga to do well and boy was I not disappointed! What an incredible fight and even better laps! Totally deserved on that whole race alone!

I don't know how this viewer numbers are in relation to what PD expected, but I guess you can call it a full success. That will for sure motivate them as organizers to give even more effort next year. I can see already the raising player numbers when the exhibition seasons end and the important ones begin.

I don't know how this viewer numbers are in relation to what PD expected, but I guess you can call it a full success. That will for sure motivate them as organizers to give even more effort next year. I can see already the raising player numbers when the exhibition seasons end and the important ones begin.

Sony is watching these numbers,i expect more marketing from their part next year,it's insane that these events are as big as they are with just PD promoting them.

Am I wrong for being that guy in the room who is cynical about the future of Gran Turismo E-Sports? I don't know if I can take the venture seriously after this, not without major changes at least. Yes, the best driver on the day still won, but had he drawn three poor cars in the lottery instead of just the one he would've been denied that chance. It also made the efforts of certain other front-runners look hollow; were they really driving better, or did the cars do all of the work?

This was doubly painful for me as the format got progressively worse over the regional finals. We went from online rank draft (unfair but based on something tangible), to 10 man lottery (bad), to 16 man lottery (awful, it exposed the flaws in even the Group 3 BoP). PD had over a month from the first regional final to review the format and improve it, yet the set-up that was supposed to only add spice to the glorified exhibitions post selection match was kept for the true grand final, the one that needed to have as little BS as possible.

It hurts to see as someone who could potentially compete in one of these live events again next year, as the casuals don't seem to know the difference and came away with the impression that certain drivers had a bad day when in reality, they just had bad cars. And the core crowd who is likely to watch on a regular basis, be they Gran Turismo players or E-Sports fans, they know when a format is blatantly bad and once the novelty of this wears off, more and more will switch off like I did. Because if RNG is truly what you want in E-Sports you might as well be watching Hearthstone.

The grand final was for many viewers their first impression looking at the numbers. What they saw was an event that went against everything that a good E-Sport should be. A showcase of true gaming talent. That's all many of us really want to see, and may the best man win. I can only hope for no BS next year, because PD seems to have gained a footing in spite of themselves but can't afford to keep making the same stupid mistakes.

Sony is watching these numbers,i expect more marketing from their part next year,it's insane that these events are as big as they are with just PD promoting them.
And let’s forget the new PlayStation boss stated e-sports is a key growth area for them. I expect you’ll see more integration with PSN to promote and broadcast events.

Am I wrong for being that guy in the room who is cynical about the future of Gran Turismo E-Sports? I don't know if I can take the venture seriously after this, not without major changes at least. Yes, the best driver on the day still won, but had he drawn three poor cars in the lottery instead of just the one he would've been denied that chance. It also made the efforts of certain other front-runners look hollow; were they really driving better, or did the cars do all of the work?

This was doubly painful for me as the format got progressively worse over the regional finals. We went from online rank draft (unfair but based on something tangible), to 10 man lottery (bad), to 16 man lottery (awful, it exposed the flaws in even the Group 3 BoP). PD had over a month from the first regional final to review the format and improve it, yet the set-up that was supposed to only add spice to the glorified exhibitions post selection match was kept for the true grand final, the one that needed to have as little BS as possible.

It hurts to see as someone who could potentially compete in one of these live events again next year, as the casuals don't seem to know the difference and came away with the impression that certain drivers had a bad day when in reality, they just had bad cars. And the core crowd who is likely to watch on a regular basis, be they Gran Turismo players or E-Sports fans, they know when a format is blatantly bad and once the novelty of this wears off, more and more will switch off like I did. Because if RNG is truly what you want in E-Sports you might as well be watching Hearthstone.

The grand final was for many viewers their first impression looking at the numbers. What they saw was an event that went against everything that a good E-Sport should be. A showcase of true gaming talent. That's all many of us really want to see, and may the best man win. I can only hope for no BS next year, because PD seems to have gained a footing in spite of themselves but can't afford to keep making the same stupid mistakes.

I totally understand your situation,there needs to be changes but as someone who's watching these events they are amazing from a entertainment perspective and that's what matters in the end of the day to the public.All these events have been amazing to watch including those with very unbalanced grids( i still remember the Classic Corvette going like a missile at Fuji in the Asia finals).What i'm trying to say is that people enjoy these events don't expect them to demand changes about the lack of balance in the grid.If any change is going to happen it must start with the drivers giving feedback to PD(and PD must listen).

The best two drivers finished as the top two. There’s always room for improvement but as an event and format it was near flawless. Which is remarkable for a first season.

Unlike most e-sports, racing is relatable to the average non-gamer. In real racing **** happens from mismatched BoP, reliability, poor set’s of tyres, wiped out, you name it. Being a first season such things may have been more pronounced. But as we get multiple seasons down the line everyone will get a fair shout and you’ll see the best drivers consistently topping the tables.

For me the various strengths and weaknesses of the cars (within reason) appeals. Maybe next season we can do without the random element’s and double up the races. IE two Gr.3 races, one on the technical Brands circuit, another at the fast and flowing Monza.

Unlike most e-sports, racing is relatable to the average non-gamer. In real racing **** happens from mismatched BoP, reliability, poor set’s of tyres, wiped out, you name it. .

And thanks to GTSport and many other racing games, some of those issues can be taken out of the equation, however, they weren't. Just because unfair things happen in real racing, doesn't mean they have to be replicated for an esports event. Hey, certain things aren't already, like engine failures and random punctures from debris, so why not try to get rid of some of the other unfair aspects?

And thanks to GTSport and many other racing games, some of those issues can be taken out of the equation, however, they weren't. Just because unfair things happen in real racing, doesn't mean they have to be replicated for an esports event. Hey, certain things aren't already, like engine failures and random punctures from debris, so why not try to get rid of some of the other unfair aspects?

I guess PD doesn't want to take away the unique characteristics of each car for the sake of balance,that's what the BoP system tries to do but it isn't that effective.

A look at the Discover tab and this would probably just end up with everyone driving around in an anime livery.

Some of us would rather get stabbed in the eyes :lol:

Exactly.

As most things where everyone has a say and a vote, it won't lead to the best outcome.

The best livery creators I know have never created a livery with thousands of likes or comments. One of them is @NBDESIGNZ. He's probably my favorite creator and doesn't get as many votes/likes as some mediocre livery creators who pump out bad liveries every time a new car comes out.

Mass voting doesn't lead to the best, only to the most popular, which is often not the same people.

A look at the Discover tab and this would probably just end up with everyone driving around in an anime livery.

Some of us would rather get stabbed in the eyes :lol:

PD would choose the 10 livery finalists they can work it out haha

Mass voting doesn't lead to the best, only to the most popular, which is often not the same people.

GTPlanet- Come for the Car News Stay for the Political Commentary :lol:

But seriously,my idea is that the voting wouldn't be random,PD would pick 10 liveries designed by the community and then people would vote for one of those 10 liveries aprooved by PD,you won't get a hentai livery at the Live Events :lol::lol:.Those 10 might not be the best liveries in the whole word but they will be cool and better than what we have right now,and it's a big incentive for the creative minds that play GTSport.The contest would only get better as people get more creative to get selected by PD.

Last edited:
Back