2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
I qualified in 10th without much help, but it was the poor connection of the 6th place that would give me all the help I would need. We all came to a stop behind him as the race was starting, and by the time it was sorted out I was in P6 before we even crossed the start line. We were however, 6 seconds from 5th place. The one red bar dude stayed in the middle of Parabolica for the whole race!

This may sound harsh, but I think people with bad internet connections should not be allowed to do FIA races for this reason. There are still dailies if they want to play online.

Getting held back at the start by a player with an awful connection can spell the difference between someone not making it to a Top 16 race or the finals because of something like that being totally out of their control. Not to mention how ridiculously irritating and distracting it is to see someone with McDonalds wi-fi buzzing all over the track like a mosquito.

I was in this race with you actually, great job by the way!!. I qualified 6th in the Vette with a #10 on the door and finished 4th for 124 points so I was happy with that as I finally got my dr A back.
I do have a question for all of you talking about your SR dropping....where do I find this info?

Type your PSN name into this and and hit enter, then click on your profile when it pops up. 👍

https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=search

Thanks, everyone... seems the most common way is to message it from the PS4 unit itself. I guess that's not a lot different than posting it to the Activities.

I hadn't really even looked at the FIA events schedule, while I was away from the game for a few weeks. But a few observations:

• Nations: I really like the variety in the Nations schedule overall. The Integra and Mini Vision races play nicely into my strengths I think... I'm usually pretty competitive in the FWD road cars, so I am hopeful this will be my best season, especially given the Yaris event that we started with also went well for me.
  • Nations: Glad to see that SSRX event... we have to all agree it was a blast and nice change of pace. Given that we only score the top 4 out of 8 events... what's the harm in a joker of a race? It was so fun to run that one over the summer, and I hope this one goes just as well.
  • Nations: SF19 race?!? YES! ... Bathurst?!? NO!!! what a bummer... those cars at a proper GP track are a great challenge. But I hate Mt Panorama and it's a waste to run the SF's there IMO.
  • Manufacturers: Blue Moon Bay Speedway?!? YES!! ...wait, the OVAL? NO! (I really like the infield road course, it's set up for great racing IMO)
  • Manufacturers: Straight up Nordschleife race? Gr4, though... suspect that the FF cars will dominate as their tire wear will just slow down anyone behind them until the back straight, then their HP advantage will just let them pull on the straight again to keep that position. Not optimistic will make for a fun race. I'd like to see a longer one if we raced there.
  • Manufacturers: Having the Lago Maggiore Center short course in the same season as the RBR short course is interesting, but with high tire wear and Gr3 cars, gonna be a frantic banger of a race, I bet. At least it's some variety to end the season with.

Good luck for the rest of the season. See a lot of you out there on the grids, I hope.
I feel the exact same way about Bathurst, even though I'm not that great at the SF cars to begin with (relative to how well I typically do in the other open-wheelers at least). On the other hand, I've been waiting for BMB oval to return to an FIA event. I'm looking forward to this race more than any other. I'm hoping Maggiore Center will be more like Tsukuba last season than RBR Short. I wish I could do more of that Tsukuba race.

This may sound harsh, but I think people with bad internet connections should not be allowed to do FIA races for this reason. There are still dailies if they want to play online.

Getting held back at the start by a player with an awful connection can spell the difference between someone not making it to a Top 16 race or the finals because of something like that being totally out of their control. Not to mention how ridiculously irritating and distracting it is to see someone with McDonalds wi-fi buzzing all over the track like a mosquito.
Agreed... or they should just ghost and their FIA points not count in the rating, if that's too harsh. It's terribly frustrating to race with people when that is occurring. I've been sandwiched between two of them with one red bar each, teleporting and sparking between the walls at Tokyo, and it's all you can do to not bin it yourself when those references keep messing up your eyeline. I had a 0.5 sec penalty at Monza yesterday as a result of a lagging issue on the car in front of me as well, and the only contact I had in the race was probably because of some moderate lag on the part of the guy that bumped me. Would be nice if there was a way to eliminate that stuff from the racing... especially when it was clear the drivers themselves were all trying to race clean.

Was it you that missed the braking point at T1 yesterday in the practice race? It was Vette(was a couple in the race), but I didn’t catch the name attached to the car.

I was in practice but the car in front of me was breaking real early, I think he was actually in between you and I. He jumped out and was mad saying ****ing Really?, so I backed out calling out his brake point......Needless to say we were both frustrated, and obviously 100% right, Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snuck in to the final slot yesterday, high hopes for the AMG but qualifying was ruined by me trying to follow slower drivers for slip. Ended up ruining my own lap after they messed up in front of me.
Result: start last and MANY SR downs.

Thankfully the race was clean and I worked my way up to finish 3rd. Didn’t touch a soul during the race but still lost 21 SR!

Enjoyed the race, just need to finesse quali strat and use some more common sense

I was in practice but the car in front of me was breaking real early, I think he was actually in between you and I. He jumped out and was mad saying ****ing Really?, so I backed out calling out his brake point......Needless to say we were both frustrated, and obviously 100% right, Lol.

He was probably just accounting for draft and cold(Hard) tires to start the race, Snipey is pretty quick. You can’t push the brake points on the first lap, he was hit into me, and I lost the draft to the leaders before we even got though T1, which ruined any practice I was gonna get before the actual race last night(with no apology from anyone). It’s best to take it easy on the first lap, especially on hard tires in FIA. That long intro lets them get really cold before the race starts. :)

He was probably just accounting for draft and cold(Hard) tires to start the race, Snipey is pretty quick. You can’t push the brake points on the first lap, he was hit into me, and I lost the draft to the leaders before we even got though T1, which ruined any practice I was gonna get before the actual race last night(with no apology from anyone). It’s best to take it easy on the first lap, especially on hard tires in FIA. That long intro lets them get really cold before the race starts. :)
to be fair, I did accept some of the responsibility, and did stop to concede the spot, and hopefully race back up together, but he came up, hit me, and left the race.
Sorry if I messed your night up as well, without apologizing, I'll take that responsibility as well.

He was probably just accounting for draft and cold(Hard) tires to start the race....

...It’s best to take it easy on the first lap, especially on hard tires in FIA. That long intro lets them get really cold before the race starts. :)

Can confirm. (Says the guy who put his 911 into the gravel in the first chicane by simply letting the rear end around on those cold tires... when leaving TCS on the first lap, or simply running thru that chicane at what would feel impossibly slow, but not put me any further behind after I had the benefit of the slipstream the rest of the lap anyway, would have preserved a sure top-5, maybe better race.)

Last edited:
to be fair, I did accept some of the responsibility, and did stop to concede the spot, and hopefully race back up together, but he came up, hit me, and left the race.
Sorry if I messed your night up as well, without apologizing, I'll take that responsibility as well.

It’s all good man. :cheers: I should have started practicing earlier so I had time for more than one. I got taken out before T1 in the real race too, so it’s not like it mattered anyways. :lol:

I've been kind of avoiding this update but here goes - this round managed to encompass almost everything I think is wrong with GT Sport.

Slot 1
I get caught up behind a guy blocking and defending during qualy and start P12 - more than 1.5 sec off my practice time. I would've jumped out and restarted Q but with only 5 minutes on this track I had serious doubts about finishing another out lap in time.

I then get a decent start and avoid the carnage of the chicane. I pass a ton of people after the penalty zone and move up quite a bit. By L3, I'm in P3. A Peugot slipstream passes me on the straight and holds the line going into the Roggia chicane. I slow down more than usual to avoid hitting him then get bumped from behind and end up in the gravel.

I went back and watched the replay, the guy behind me doesn't make contact but you can clearly see my car suddenly lurch forward off the track and into the gravel. Lag punt? The guy behind me didn't get a penalty (of course) but then neither did I. I didn't even get a SR down arrow. What I did get, however, is sent back to P8. And that marked the beginning of a complete and total collapse of a race.

A lap later and we're once again headed towards della Roggia. This time I let myself get distracted by a Porsche spinning way off track - I look over and start to wonder how he ended where he was. I then realize that I'm about to miss my braking point and slam on the brakes - about 100m early. As soon as I realize it, I lift off the brakes, wait a moment then trail brake into the chicane. An Aston flew by me during that and apparently he thought I was intentionally brake checking him or something. He then completely lost his mind for the remainder of the race. I don't know why I seem to be some sort of magnet for 13 year old kids with impulse control issues but this is far from the first time I've encountered someone like this.

A lap later he divebombs me at Lesmo 1 and tries to brake check me. I don't hit him but he does succeed to get me skidding onto the grass. On the back straight he serves a penalty, I wasn't close enough to pass him while he was ghosting so when I do try to overtake him he swerves over and manages to catch my front bumper and sends me spinning into the gravel at Ascari. After I recover, during the runup to Parabolica he runs me into the wall. As I get back on track, he manages to PIT me to the other side of Parabolica. I don't even know how long it took me to get back on track after that one. Whatever it was, I was DFL more than 18 sec behind him and the other backmarkers. I refused to quit and managed to gain about 6 sec on them before we ran out of laps and it thankfully came to an end.

Slot 2
I set a decent banker lap that had me in P3 for most of the session. My next flying lap would have been a strong P2 except that I got a track limit penalty coming out of Ascari. The banker held up for P5, though.

We set off and right away a Porsche goes wide at Curva Grande. I get inside and get a good run getting right up on P3's bumper when lo and behold the Porsche comes rocketing through. It's obvious he missed his braking point by a bunch and I will give him credit that it looked like he was trying to steer his way through and avoid punting anyone. But then when he goes through the first part of the chicane, he get his car turned and swerves it back onto the track - right into me in the middle of the chicane. It not bad enough that I get punted off in a real bizarre and stupid way but PDs wreck of a penalty system decides that it's all my fault and gives me a 4 sec penalty and SR down, to boot. Once again, I pull myself out of the gravel at Roggia due to no fault of my own, this time in P9. After I serve my 4 sec penalty for not avoiding the flying Porsche, I'm in something like P12. Frustration abounds as I'm faster than most of the people around me but can't pull far enough ahead on the main straight to break the slipstream. I somehow manage to claw my way back to P8 by the end of it all but had to pull a fastest lap by almost 0.5 sec to get away from the pack I was fighting with.

Lots and lots of not fun last night. I lost something like 1400 DR in the first race but amazingly only 4 SR. I got a fraction of the DR back and repaired to slight SR loss but this is just getting stupid. I might just pick and choose a few races this season and spend the rest of the time ramming the rammers with my alt-accounts. Apparently that's what this game is becoming about now and that seems to be the way PD likes it.

Last edited:
Agreed... or they should just ghost and their FIA points not count in the rating, if that's too harsh. It's terribly frustrating to race with people when that is occurring. I've been sandwiched between two of them with one red bar each, teleporting and sparking between the walls at Tokyo, and it's all you can do to not bin it yourself when those references keep messing up your eyeline. I had a 0.5 sec penalty at Monza yesterday as a result of a lagging issue on the car in front of me as well, and the only contact I had in the race was probably because of some moderate lag on the part of the guy that bumped me. Would be nice if there was a way to eliminate that stuff from the racing... especially when it was clear the drivers themselves were all trying to race clean.

I know my internet has moments where it's just awful using my phone as a hot spot, primarily last season I couldn't even get a race in so many missed opportunities. If I see my internet is messing up though I just pull over and let everyone by me I'm not using my internet to hold anybody up but I know some people do this. Luckily I've had no issues this season :)

Has anyone had any issues with the start lights on grid start? We were doing a practice lobby for nations ant the main set of red lights went out half a second late for at least three of us

I'm racing again. Turn 1 Lap 1 was hilarious in every race I saw lol...

Pew pew pew...LMAO
Thanks, appreciate the help.

I recognized your name (even mentioned it on the stream), didn't know you were on here though. Good job on that p4.
I was in this race with you actually, great job by the way!!. I qualified 6th in the Vette with a #10 on the door and finished 4th for 124 points so I was happy with that as I finally got my dr A back.
I do have a question for all of you talking about your SR dropping....where do I find this info?

The game should sense an issue when crap like this happens.. some foul language, warning!

The game should sense an issue when crap like this happens.. some foul language, warning!

God, that was painful to watch and perfectly illustrates my point. This just ruins the quality of the racing.

And if I remember correctly, there was a North America Top 16 race earlier this year that never got broadcasted because part of the field got a delayed start thanks to someone with a weak connection.

How that driver didn't disconnect is what is most astonishing. I had one DC at Monza in front of me with 2 bars and gave no warning (lagging or ghosting) before he dropped.

I like Willow Springs - my only 40 point win was here with the Gr4 Alfa earlier this year.

There is more time in the lap I did, but I was only 0.007 down on my optimal time so called it a night after that.

It's all fun and games until someone mails in a lap 0.5 seconds per lap faster than that time with the TT or Scirocco. They're 400-500kg lighter than most Gr4 cars so they don't really have any tyre wear weaknesses either.

Everyone knows BOP is broken, but the last BOP update was nearly 6 months ago now, so I don't really have any faith that it is going to be fixed until some point next year

The problem with FF/4WD tyre wear isn't the amount of wear, but the imbalance with front-to-rear wear. So the NSX for example might be down to 60% front/60% rear at the end of the stint, but the TT will be down to 30% front/90% rear. The total loss is the same (80%), but the massive understeer with the TT will kill it's speed.

This is something that no amount of weight reduction will be able to compensate for unfortunately. The more they try to compensate, the more divergent the quali and race pace will be between FF/4WD and FR/MR. The only way to survive, is to quali as high as possible, get away from the pack and hope they don't catch up when your tyres fall apart.

Tidgney made an excellent suggestion of making a separate BOP for quali/no tyre wear and race/with tyre wear, but given the game is in its last legs PD probably wouldn't bother.

The whole Gr.4 is just poorly setup. They need to make it FR/MR only in the next game, just like real life. Also split Gr.1 into at least 3 groups (Group C, non hybrid, hybrids) and Gr.2 into old/new. PD just have this obsession with shoehorning as many cars as possible into one group. In the GT7 trailer we see the RXV racing against 917K, so obviously they haven't learned from it.

Last edited:
I think it's more about filling out the grid than it is about cramming as many cars into the group as possible. Instead of two three-car group 2 classifications they have one with six cars.

Group 1 and Group 2 aren't a big problem though. For official races people have to suit themselves if they pick a slow car, for private races you can tell people what to pick.

Group 4 is the big issue, since for Manu you're stuck with FF/4WD while the Gr3 car might be perfectly balanced.

That's the thing, they havent realised they don't need to fill out the grid with every type drivetrain car. Minus 4 FF and 5 AWD Gr.4 cars, the grid remains at 18 RWD choices(including the Gr.4 Supra). PD painted the series into a corner with the way they promoted Manufacturer Cup. Of course I wasn't in the board room that day, but I can imagine PD pushed to not leave a brand out. I mean, a Gr.4 Beetle could have been an option, but the length of time to build an FF into a RWD, is said to be time costing. So, we get the old N24 Scirocco.

Well, first up is the Evo. Then. I'll try the WRX nest race.
EodXsIRUwAApT4h

Back