2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
My fingers were done by the second qualy lap. I'm toast out here.
EodZ7wtVQAECPPM

This race is another one and done. Got a terrible lap in Qualifying and started 18th.

Made 4 spots in the opening lap, but never really got going. Had some good battles but came home in 18th.

This Mitsubishi v Subaru battle had the potential to be something great. But they ruined it with a poor track choice tonight. Heck even a second tyre option might have improved it.

Not going to bother trying another run, I'll take my poor result and get ready for next week.

I agree. That was a Daily Race.
EodgLIhUwAAOf7K

EodgO_cVQAIP067

Evo nearly bogged at the start. It's much faster than the STI in change of direction and corner acceleration and tight turning. Much sharper. Kept having to get off the gas. Got a couple penalties that out me down the order. Decided to pit on Lap 9. Caught back up to the groupd of 5-6 that were scrapping. Got past and bolted.

Another race where I could have been up where Nismonath was. Oh well. First two laps below.

That was a stupid demolition derby. Had a few clean races, but it was a mess. People barging, pushing you wide, get a run down the straight and they run you off. I got penalties for getting pushed off track, someone driving from 2 cars back and tapping my rear in the turn, and for getting rammed off. Lost 30 SR and gained a load of hate for the 🤬 in my lobby.

Started p10 and made a solid start, tiptoed through turn 1 and 2 but the people out of control there still tap me enough for a 1 second penalty. That's ok, I figured on that. After serving it I'm p15 so still ok. Move up to p12 over the next lap as people run wide or serve more penalties. Battling the guy who started behind me but seems to be given a halo to protect from penalties. He turns in on me when I'm alongside, tries to run me off track. Nothing. He screws upright the final.turn and I nail it for a pass down the front straight, but he tries to out brake me into turn 1, on dirty tires. I was ready and still manage to maintain the car, but lose 2 spots, and get a 2 second penalty for getting rammed. :irked:

Drop behind a mad pack list beating themselves silly. Manage to get to the front of it somehow when I get bombed into turn 2 from 2 cars back, and get a 1 second penalty and well as being pushed wide. :grumpy: another 4 spots gone again. Manage to get back to p13 on lap 14 when someone I know has no awareness simply tries to rub me into the wall on the main straight as i try to pass them. 1 second penalty. Back to p17 and garbage points. Now SR A. And just furious. What a waste. I drove well, had speed and ease constantly catching people from behind, but there was no patience and people were using cars like battering rams. 🤬 You Penalty System.

Whatever you do try to start out front. No point in me bothering to think about running again. Might just quit bothering with Nations as well. I seem to be a useless moron in these races and jus drive around collecting penalties for attempting to drive fast.

You know it is one of those rooms when at least 6 people are dropped to SR A.
20201205_214432.jpg

Keep it straight, buckle up and hold on tight. Fast tires and good luck to you all.👍

I think we'll all need it.

Last edited:
Having to get a slipstream in quali, to be anywhere in higher split lobbys, is one of the worst things about the way this fia works now. Now we only have 5 minutes to do it, things can get stupidly desperate and it creates unnecessary problems between drivers.

Then there is the tyre wear x 8 or x10, why ? What’s good about it ? Does anyone actually enjoy saving tyres and fuel, more than flat out racing ? If you do, fair enough, to me that is not really racing. I just want to race flat out, like I did in karting. That does not work with these restrictions on enjoyment. If I wanted to save tyres and fuel I’d run a diesel company car. Yawn. It’s meant to be fun and enjoyable.

That’s before I mention the penalty subject that has its own thread / echo chamber here.

Last edited:
First session of Round 2 in Nations Cup, racing in top division. Had put in a good lap time in qualifying starting in 7th, but the race turned sour. Hit the gravel at the Rollercoaster turn losing 3 positions on second lap, and then get a penalty for nothing at turn 2. Dropped to 14th but I managed to claim 9th on last lap without a thud. Scored 206 pts, same old post-race abuse from innocents, and that was that.

Turn 12 track limits is as draconian as Le Mans Indianapolis Kink. Right tyre off = 0.5 seconds, even if you get back on track immediately. I got whacked with that 3 times in race 1.
The first few corners are a complete trainwreck in the first couple of laps. I got shoved down to 16th for getting caught on the outside going 4 wide into turn 3 on lap 2. After the dust settled, I was so far behind that the two that pitted came out ahead of me, with the first pitter immediately taking the first apex and forcing me wide. My three track penalties at turn 12 certainly didn’t help matters.

Have to go in again....

EDIT: Slot 2 is a disconnect before even loading in to Warm Up. Bravo, PD, bravo. You utter morons.

Last edited:
So I lied. I went again. I thought there was a chance i could repair my SR in a grubby lower SR split by hopefully starting at the front and getting some breathing room. Started p2 with the time I should have had in race 1. The polesitter and I gap it as the carnage behind leads to mass penalties. By lap 4 it is a 6 second gap to p3. Proceeded to have an awesome battle with the other driver. Strategic passing, full clean moves. Both of us pushing hard but being smart with it. Solid defense and good clean racing. Swapped the lead multiple times, sometimes twice a lap thanks to the slipstream. Ended up with me behind heading into the final lap. I launch a major run down the back straight but decide not to go full send inside as they were taking a defensive line. Get a solid cutback and run into the next section. Get inside in the middle of the double rights as they had a super shallow entry, but the other guy had a better run for exit. I get a massive turn inside for the final corner but they straight cut me off with a hard block. As we exit they run me super shallow, but I have enough room to stay on track. Run to the line, they win by 0.1.

Man I needed that. So much fun when you aren't getting shoved or crippled by the BS penalty system. And repaired my SR slightly. Only 20 SR for a full clean session, qualifying and race. So still low S on that, but feeling so much better since I proved I had good pace and a good clean race.

May you all get the second version of this race that I had and not the first. :cheers:

Went yolo with the Evo. Only 2 other drivers with me, all the others picked WRX (seriously PD, why even give us a choice). Quali 11th in second split, didn't bother with slipstream. Decent start and survived the first corner. Unfortunately in the hairpin I had to take evasive action against an early braking driver, and went into the kitty litter and straight down to last. This is the third time in 4 races :ouch: Drove like hell and battled through the backmarkers and recovered to 15th, but the points are peanuts really. Lost a further 1k DR because of this.

I must say, it seems like 75% of the room are filled with randoms lately. I know it's not the official season but all the usual names are disappearing one by one. It's difficult to race close when you don't know who to trust :indiff: Guess that's just part of the game dying I suppose.

I think it's more about filling out the grid than it is about cramming as many cars into the group as possible. Instead of two three-car group 2 classifications they have one with six cars.

Group 1 and Group 2 aren't a big problem though. For official races people have to suit themselves if they pick a slow car, for private races you can tell people what to pick.

Group 4 is the big issue, since for Manu you're stuck with FF/4WD while the Gr3 car might be perfectly balanced.

You can still fill the grid with 3 unique cars though, I mean the real Super GT is like that no? :lol: Besides currently whenever you have free choice, people will just gravitate towards the meta anyway so what's the point of including the old cars in the same group?

The Gr.4 class can still have all those brands. They just need to find suitable cars to replace the FF/4WD, and if it doesn't exist make one. They can literally turn an RCZ into an MR GT3 car, why not turn an Evo into an RWD?

It's an issue because it makes the game look unbalanced and unprofessional. I don't know if you watched the EMEA regional finals, but they have a Gr.1 race at Monza No Chicane. The hybrid LMPs were absolutely destroyed. One guy went from 1st to 6th just because of the car he drove, and these are supposed to be the best drivers in the world.

Gr.3 is the only correctly balanced group in the game. Even Gr.B is dominated by the RCZ because of its meta tyre wear. And don't get me started on the N classes...

Due to other commitments I only managed to jump into the last session. What. A. Circus. This combo was a disaster. The amount of brake checking, blocking and pushing off was abhorrent.

And that was just qualifying.

I was Door 1 and one of only 2 A rated DR players in the split. Qualifying I was brake checked lap 1, pushed off at turn 1, lap 2 and then pushed wide at the big banky on lap 3. Best time was 3 seconds slower than my fastest practice time and q19.

The race started ok as I picked up 3 places by the time I exited turn 1 (the Lancers were so slow off the mark) and then the carnage ensued. Just constant bumping, even in the straights, so many ridiculous divebombs and the number of times I got a run out of the esses only to have the guy in front swerve to block was insane.

At one stage I had worked back up to 10th and 7th looked gettable and then some lunatic decides to brake early and swerve into my path before turn 1 and I inevitably hit him. I can only imagine some baby ducks were on the road in front of him and he had to take evasive action to avoid the stigma of being a duckling murderer.

My reward for doing everything I could to avoid him? A 3 sec penalty, whilst he still makes the turn and maintains his position. Finally finished p15 for 55 points. Such a frustrating exercise.

Started 4th in final slot competing for minimal points. After first corner, copped a 4 second penalty that dropped me to 15th. Then picked up 7s more penalties later in the race.

The good part is... I still won :sly::sly::sly::sly::sly:

Took the lead outright on lap 14. Was a satisfying victory. Had an accident on lap 12 after getting squeezed and copped a final penalty, was the only sour note.

Last edited:
Well I'm hoping the Europeans play better than the Yanks seem to have done. I've done a few practice laps and am surprising close to the top players, I.E. finishing the same day, but not looking forward to this that much. Not driven this track much and never against people so probably just take it really easy and try to keep it clean. Then when that drops me back down to D have a go against slight slower players.

You can still fill the grid with 3 unique cars though, I mean the real Super GT is like that no? :lol: Besides currently whenever you have free choice, people will just gravitate towards the meta anyway so what's the point of including the old cars in the same group?

The Gr.4 class can still have all those brands. They just need to find suitable cars to replace the FF/4WD, and if it doesn't exist make one. They can literally turn an RCZ into an MR GT3 car, why not turn an Evo into an RWD?

It's an issue because it makes the game look unbalanced and unprofessional. I don't know if you watched the EMEA regional finals, but they have a Gr.1 race at Monza No Chicane. The hybrid LMPs were absolutely destroyed. One guy went from 1st to 6th just because of the car he drove, and these are supposed to be the best drivers in the world.

Gr.3 is the only correctly balanced group in the game. Even Gr.B is dominated by the RCZ because of its meta tyre wear. And don't get me started on the N classes...

In addition to making Gr 4 FR/MR only - and this might have been a Tidgney idea, as well - keep the FF cars in the game but split them off into their own Touring car inspired group. I think it's pretty clear that there's no way to just BOP and tire wear them to any semblance of compatibility with the rest of Gr 4.

I wonder if there is an issue with the servers today as I’ve just had my first DC in years.

Got as far as 10 laps through my race. Managed to pick up 7 seconds of penalties for virtually nothing, other guys pushing me off track and receiving no penalty.

Might be a godsend that I got DC, however I will go again. Glutton for punishment and all that!

It's times like these I miss Famine
Said no-one, ever.
and his Gr.4 Atenza where we could argue whose 4WD, 8 mile long car was worse. The GT-R is all of the drawbacks of FF with none of the benefits.
If you're still driving the GT-R then the Mazda is still worse, because I quit driving any Gr.4 Manu race :lol:

Qualified in a lowly 12th, and as such had a poor first lap which dropped me to 14th, recovered to 7th briefly where some dives at the corner after the uphill esses dropped me to 9th, would have finished 8th if not for a complete BS penalty as a car ahead was a bit careless rejoining and hit me giving me a 2second penalty, finished 12th.

Definitely a much better day than Wednesday! :)

Qualified P6, finished P3 in the Scoobaru (see livery below!). There was no way in hell I was taking the Mitsubishi for this one, even if it had been the more popular car. :D

I gained a few positions early on when a few drivers went off at turn 1, and then had a fantastic back and forth battle with a Spaniard for half the race, until I accidentally got a track limits penalty for going wide in the last sector and dropped back.

First race with my new CSL Elite as well, so very pleased to christen it with a podium. It's taken some serious getting used to over the last few days, but my god the difference from the G29 is just insane. I'd heard it's a noticeable step-up, but I wasn't expecting it to be as big as it is. The additional/clearer feedback that you get about what your car is doing does wonders for your confidence in close quarters with other drivers.

Last edited:
Well race 1 was a waste of time. Only me and one other C driver, all the rest D's so no points available and it went downhill from there. Door No. 2 and got a terrible quali for 12th (or thereabouts) got shoved and penalised at the start shoving me right to the back and I just found it almost impossible to move up. Ended up in 16th out of 17, lost a huge amount of DR and will have to race from D if I bother. No think I'll try in the WRX, just tried in and I'm faster on this track, but I think it's because the gearing fits better, there are a few places where I feel I'm in the wrong gear whatever I pick in the Evo. So can't see me improving my standing because I'll be in poor scoring lobbies, but I need the practice of driving hard and clean.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20201205155912.jpg

Looks like a good result and was, but could have been more. I spent most of the race behind a German guy who insisted on going defensive at every corner, despite me constantly staying on the racing line and flashing my lights every time he moved. 4th/5th/6th spent the race knocking lumps out of each other and we could definitely have caught them. It was clean racing, but I don't care about fighting over 7th when we're halfway through a race and cars in front are catchable.

They should replace the sportsmanship video with 10 minutes of Tidngey saying RACE SMARTER NOT HARDER on a loop. Still, more points than I was expecting here, so I'll take it.

Race 1

Managed to sneak in a 3rd quali lap, which was good enough for P5 on the grid. @LVS_1986 was good to see you out there.

Lap 1, T1. Dive bombed and pushed off the road. Recovered.

Later in the race, pushed off by a Croatian, then punted off by a French driver. Limped home for P11. Decided to go again.

Race 2

An absolute disaster in quali, got dive bombed and given a 2s penalty. Started P19.

Race started well. Worked my way up the field. By lap 14, I was P7. But network seemed like it was acting up, cars moving all over the place, could have been my net, a few of us got disconnected on lap 15.

Not sure I'll go again. Definitely have the pace for a good finish. But just seems to be one of those days when things aren't working out.

EDIT: With the headphones on. Didn't realise there's a storm outside. Guess I'll miss out on this round. Don't want to mess up anyones race with my bad connection.

Last edited:
Back