2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Same for me, and I am sure for many others here. And that is why I have so much admiration for professional race drivers in F1 (and other classes) who are able to drive a qualifying lap to the max every single time. Often I find the qualifying session in F1 more interessting then the actual race because of that....
For sure! It's a real skill, the guys that can go out and lay their b---s on the line in qualifying, consistently. I agree, I have more respect for them after playing this 'sim' for some time...

Along those lines, I also have more respect and understanding for the tire strategy games, the tire management skills, and racecraft in general, having tried to master it in this little game. But to see it play out in F1, and IndyCar, it's something that you can appreciate more, having learned the basics in the game (and suffered the consequences when you get it wrong!)

Door 14, q11 and on the way.
A good clean race. I lost two spots in sector 1 lap 1, but once my tires where warm I started to keep lap times consistent and moved up to 9th. Then the last 3 laps I pushed hard and got to 7th.
I saw one guy in an AMG trying to push people off but he ran wide in the final turn and rage quit.
There was a Porsche on my heels for lap 9 and 10 but when I started pushi6he didn't hang in.
The P2 had an accident on last lap so he finished p10. That was one of the two last cars I passed. The other was a Beetle that I pressured into making a mistake so I could pass and build a gap bigger than slipstream.

All in all a race I am happy with. Netted 550 DR too.
PS_App_20210623_072915.jpeg

For sure! It's a real skill, the guys that can go out and lay their b---s on the line in qualifying, consistently. I agree, I have more respect for them after playing this 'sim' for some time...

Along those lines, I also have more respect and understanding for the tire strategy games, the tire management skills, and racecraft in general, having tried to master it in this little game. But to see it play out in F1, and IndyCar, it's something that you can appreciate more, having learned the basics in the game (and suffered the consequences when you get it wrong!)
Indeed. I now appriciate the tactics in a race more. Last Indy 500 I enjoyed so much because of all the strategy, while I heard a lot of people complaining about a lack of action.
Same with the last F1 race; it was so exciting to see Verstappen do a second stop, and the Merc drivers doing the one stopper...

In the game itself I sort of like the qualifying the most too; the tension you feel in the out lap, the gap you are looking for, or maeby looking for a good slipstream and then, when you go for it, the nerves you feel approaching every difficult corner and the relief when you have set a good time. I like the shorter qaulifying sessions you have now, it makes it even more tense.....

Heck, I even like the outlap itself as a prelude to the actual qualifying lap, even at the Nordschleiffe. ..

Before I share a write-up of what happened in my 19:40 lobby, I want to ask if anyone is having connection issues right now. Had the game running in the background and ending up unresponsive a few minutes ago. Now that I've restarted it I cannot connect to the server at all...

Just as well I was going to leave it at that...

Last edited:
Qualified 13th in the AMG, second of the non-Beetles/squashed Beetles. I started on Hards and jumped up to 12th at Dunlop, but then sat in No Man's Land for the next few laps, out of slipstreaming range of the cars ahead and behind me. I made it as far up as 5th before pitting on lap 8, but I also had to serve a track limits penalty for taking too much inside kerb at RTL. That dropped me down to 10th and right next to a Porsche, which I had a side-by-side duel with all the way up (or should that be down?) to Dunlop. I picked off a couple more as a Portuguese Beetle got spun around at the hairpin on lap 9, with his assailant getting some karmic retribution as he dropped his rear left in the gravel exiting the Schumacher S, bumping me up to 7th. That became 5th on the final lap as a duo collided at the exit of the Mercedes Arena. I had a couple of sniffs of 4th as I got a run on a French Beetle out of Warsteiner that he was able to cover off, and he then had a bit of a slide at the exit of Coca-Cola, but he was able to hold on by about 2 metres as we crossed the line. All in all, that earned me 140pts and 847DR.

First racing in a few days.
Tried all but the Audi (Just no) and the BMW (Didn't have time.) Best feel for both time and stability was the AMG so went for that.
Qualified well with my fastest lap of the day 1:57.6 for 7th on the grid. Last minute I decided to go for the hard first strat.
It was a good decision although the first lap was like ice. Went deep into turns 1 and 2. I was down to 10th. I started to pull away from those behind and kept up with those ahead. A few offs, penalties and genuine overtakes got me up to 3rd once those ahead pitted.
Next lap was my turn. Came back out in 7th and immediately set about a Beetle struggling ahead. I made the move into the hairpin but they tried to close the door last minute whilst I was going through. They bounced off and ran a little wide on the exit. After that a couple more pitted and a German came out right behind me. They were faster but very clean in how they wanted to overtake. I knew we'd only loose time so was waiting for them to come close enough. Eventually I chose the outside into the NGK and they passed. We both pulled from those behind and slowly caught those ahead. 3rd and 4th were fighting ahead and the Porsche of the two chose to pit penultimate lap. This gifted me 5th which is what I finished.
20210623_190623.jpg

78 points is my 3rd highest of the season and pushed my points for this season to above 300 which is a huge improvement on before. A good way to close the season.

PB in the qualifying session... NICE WORK! That's not easy to do. I can always expect a 0.4 - 1.0 sec gap from my PB in FP to the actual qualifying time... nerves, being cautious, not being able to 'perform' when it matters... it always means I'm not likely to beat my FP time or even come close in the actual session.

Heck, I'm happy if I get a new PB in the FP session after entering the race... that nice little cheer you get from the crowd then is more motivating than it has right to be!
I say PB, it was compared to the practice quali runs I did in the lobby and I only did a couple of those (my best lap in the lobby did feel like a decent one fwiw). It was about 7 tenths off my FP time. Though in this case I really didn't think the lap was that good so was surprised to pull that out.
is this season only 10 races long? Or do we get a new batch of 10 races in the near future just like last season? (that had 4 batches of 10 races...)
Yes there will be a fresh season (points starting from 0) starting on July 7th. Will be the same format as this one though looks we're getting break weeks after R2 and R5

Well, not the way I wanted this first half-season of 2021 to end, but it is what it is and I learned my lesson today, the hard way (-4000 DR in 4 races !).

Last night, I jumped in GT Sport in order to practice for Nations, test cars, tyre wear, etc.

Before that I just wanted to do a few qualy laps of Daily Race B because I like Interlagos and AWD (without tyre wear...). Turned out I quickly got down to 30th-ish in EMEA, with an optimum potentially putting me in the Top10 of a leaderboard, which would have been the biggest achievement on GT since I started sim-racing last year.

Greedy as I am, I tried and tried again and again, unsuccesfully of course (!) and when I eventually went to bed late in the night, I only had a couple hours of sleep left 🥴
Today, after a long day at work I was already wasted when I did my 1st laps at the Nurb before slot 2 and never found the pace in the wole evening...
I kept making silly mistakes (that had become pretty rare in the last few weeks) costing me tenths here and there, and when it adds up it's just impossible to be competitive at the level I currently am (around 55K), which is probably too high to NOT take this game seriously when you don't have a natural gift 😅

I'll have to gauge if the investment in time is really worth it, or maybe go back my "comfort zone"...

Last edited:
Went with the AMG for the season finale as it consistently proved faster, more stable and more economical than the Beetle across multiple practice sessions. Very intense stuff in the 19:40, but not at the expense of another solid top 10 result as you shall soon find out.

19:40 Nations
Lined up alongside @GR33N in what was mostly a Beetle Fun Cup draw. Paced myself on my out lap to make sure the tyres would be in optimal condition for the first flier, but was mildly concerned when I saw an M6 (whose driver had previously caused me problems at Tsukuba) going noticeably slower in front. Thankfully, he pulled to one side just before Turn 10, allowing me to clock a 1:55.413 which was consistent with the best times I had set in testing. A 1:55.3 or 1:55.2 would've been possible had I taken a better line through Warsteiner the second time out, but nevertheless the first lap was still good enough for me to start 9th.

Yesterday, @Ashthebash suggested that if he were to start mid-field, he would go for a 5H-9M strategy which I decided to try out for myself. I hadn't tested any strategy like that so had no idea what to expect on the first lap. With that in mind, I gently pulled the AMG out of Turn 15 in second gear and nursed it around the track while the Belgian Beetle pressures a Briton in the #3 Porsche. Maintained a decent gap over the Turkish Porsche in 10th when on Lap 3, carnage ensues up ahead at Turn 5. From what I could tell, three cars (the #3 and #12 Porsches plus the #2 Beetle) squeezed each other which resulted in the #3 spearing off into the barriers on the right-hand side. During his recovery drive, the #12 also had a kerb/barrier glitch at Turn 15, which gave me the run to grab 7th. A good sign for the Medium stint...

Being on softer tyres, the #12 claws the gap back up easily, but as I thought since we were fighting for position anyway I might as well try and defend it. Defend it I did until we entered the chicane side-by-side and I had to leave enough room for the #12 to get through; it was a little frustrating to find another Spanish Porsche (car #7) follow through as well. Had the horses to out-drag the #7 down the straight, only for the Turkish driver to swipe the #7 and push me a little forward at the Yokohama-S. This wasn't enough for me to lose another place, but it was enough to hand him a 1-second penalty which gave me a little breathing space before my stop. Hadn't checked my fuel economy as much with all the battling going on, but it was still a respectable 67% coming into pit road.

Hoped to make some gains with this early pitting, but hadn't accounted for the #7 Porsche beating me to the Yokohama-S as he served his stop on Lap 6/7. Fought side-by-side with him through the Mercedes arena, but no matter how much I tried to close off the apexes he ended up getting the the better line through Turn 4. We still pipped the #12 car next time around, however, and on Lap 9 took turns in dispatching the Belgian Beetle as he squirmed around on fresh Hards. No matter how much he flashed his lights coming out of Turn 7, it was clear I had the faster rubber at this stage. The #7 flew off into the distance as the #9 French Porsche also began challenging me for 7th. Rather than risking a collision at the chicane, I made the decision to ease off the throttle when he got a faster run out of Warsteiner. Retained 7th anyway as the other Mercedes, running in 4th, slammed head-on into the inner barrier at Turn 15.

Around three laps from the end, the cars running in 3rd-6th (lead by the M6 on Hard tyres) all bunched up together. Depending on how things worked out, this made the prospect of another Top 5 finish all the more tantalising and realistic. I felt confident I had looked after the Mediums well enough to take advantage of any more trouble up ahead, and my belief started to come true when the #7 Porsche barges the M6 out of Turn 7. The M6, in turn, collides with the #9 through the Schumacher-S, allowing me to shoot up to 6th as the #9 recovered. Began hounding the M6 as he started fishtailing around the circuit, though the #9 also looked to retaliate by getting his nose stuck in at the Yokahama-S. Had the better exit to hold the #9 off, but ended up losing a place as I had to back out of the M6's slipstream and let him through under braking for the chicane. This saved me from the contact that ensued between both cars, but by then the constant scrapping and hold-ups had allowed the chain of cars lead by the #12 Porsche and Belgian Beetle to catch up.

As we start the final lap, the #12 divebombs up the inside at the Yokohama-S as I am busy trying to keep a distance from both cars in front. Then, as he squirms and slides around after being passed by the #9, the M6 blocks and gingerly turns into me as I try to go round the outside of him between Turns 6 and 7. The Beetle gained a lot of ground as a result, so much so that after being held by the M6 again I had no choice but to let him through under braking for Turn 10. The M6 runs wide... but holds the Beetle off until the chicane. Braked early to maintain space between those two, but got hit from behind by the #12 (who picks up a 1-second penalty as a likely result) and ended up tapping the Beetle by accident as I didn't apply enough brake pressure. More bumping and banging ensued through the final corner, but we survived to come home in 8th.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210623202556.png

Aside from the last part, that was actually a very enjoyable end to Season 1. Starting from the midpack really threw a spanner into the works as far as my strategy was concerned, but despite having no practice for 5H-9M the AMG worked well against everything that was thrown at it. It was especially fun trying to defend 7th from the Medium-shod Porsche during the first stint and wrestling the car in the final laps as the Mediums began struggling for grip. Felt there was potential to gain at least one more place out of that, but still happy to take the extra 16 points as one lobby was already intense enough.

Last edited:
Managed to connect to slot 2, spun on my qualifying lap from a possible pole position, pushed on second lap on used tyres to get P9 on the grid.

Started on hards, kept up with the Medium runners on the first stint then fought through to P3 in the second stint, finished less than 5 seconds off the winning time.

In hindsight I may have had a decent shot at winning the race had I not stuffed qualifying, but at least I connected to the race and had a decent crack at it.

I finished P9 overall in OCE which I'm pretty happy with, considering I disconnected from every slot with good points this season

Missed slot 1 in Aus so ended up running slot 2 in the Beetle, qualified 3rd and started on the hard behind 2 Porsches. Porsche behind me barges me out of the way at turn 2 and then an Merc gets past on the way into the hairpin at the bottom of the hill. So I followed the top 4 for a while sitting in 5th about a second back from 4th with the gap to everyone else extending while saving enough fuel to go flat out on the mediums. Everyone in front started on mediums and finished on hards so I was on the alt strategy.

Decided to split the Strat 7 and 7 and when I returned to the track in 6th I picked off 2 cars the first lap but came up on old mate that barged his way through on lap 1 struggling with the hard tyre. He dived all over the road pushing me off when I got beside him and cost me a lap and a half of opportunity to win the race. Defending is one thing but outright driving people off the road is completely another. They eventually ran completely out of talent and I was off chasing the top 2. Caught 2nd and almost hit them at the final chicane with the much shorter braking distance of a bug on softer tyres.

The Merc in 2nd basically let me go at the start of lap 11 unfortunately my front tyres were well worn by now and 1st was 6 seconds up the road. Managed to get it to 2 seconds by the last lap but with shot tyres I couldn't get any closer. 190 points for 2nd call it a one and done.

After testing a couple of cars at Nurb, I decided to go with the 911. I had almost exactly the same pace with the AMG, but decided to go with the Porsche as I had a little bit less tyre wear and so I didn't need to worry at all about the fuel.

CSA Slot 3, door #16 on a 219-point lobby with a mix of A+ and A drivers. I had surprisingly good pace here, managed mid 55 with the 7x tyre wear in practice, but I didn't manage to do a good lap in qualifying. Was P7 on the grid.

Decided to start on hards. I inmediately gained a place from someone spinning out of T1 but then lost two places on the first lap, to guys who were clearly on mediums. I didn't fight them and almost lost no time during their overtakes. I took the slipstream for a few corners although I then lost it. Did manage to gap everyone behind by about 4 secs by mid-race however, closing up again on the guys ahead before my pitstop.

I pitted at the end of lap 7 and everyone ahead was on mediums, it turns out I was the leading car on hards during the first stint, which felt nice as they never managed to drop me.

Unfortunately, I was very unlucky to come out of the pits behind a 🤬 Brazilian who hadn't stopped yet, was on 8-lap old tyres and decided he wanted to try to ruin my race. He punt me on purpose 3 times, pushing me off the track and picking up penalties in the process. Absolute 🤬. All for nothing because by the time he served the penalties and pitted, he eventually finished 18th. But he succeeded in costing me 4 seconds in half a lap.

After everyone pitted I was back in 7th, and started to hunt down a fellow Argentinian who was on hards 5 secs ahead in an AMG (exited the pits a second behind him, the rest I lost during my outlap with the Brazilian). Managed to catch him and we battled for a few corners, although the grip difference was big, so I managed to overtake him into T1 and he didn't defend it too much. The moved up to P5 as a Brazilian spun his Beetle in the last chicane.

In the end, it was P5 for me. With a Panamanian just a couple of seconds ahead on hards, I think the dirty Brazilian cost me a very likely P4, although I don't think the podium was within reach. Points were pretty good for me, at least for a P5 finish.

PS_App_20210624_123420.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve never felt so lost in this game. Absolutely out to lunch at NGP in the RSR. I really wish someone could tell me what I’m doing so different than others. I’m watching people take tenths off Me every turn. It’s like I’m on different tires. And I see people fishtailing and driving anything but smoothly yet still pull away. I see a guy that can close 1.5 sec on me in one lap drive like a monkey on a big wheel after he gets around me and wonder how the hell he caught me. It defies reason. I’m not THAT slow. But come races, it’s like the everyone else has cheat codes. What is going on? Are PS5 better somehow? Is something wrong with my wheel? Are all internet connections not equal? I don’t get it.

Last edited:
Against my better judgement, I decided to do this race, even though I despise Nurb GP. Surprisngly I had decent pace, but as usual my (lack of) actual racing ability made sure that went to waste.

Slot 1: Surprisngly qualified 5th with a 55.6. Was running in the same spot when I went off at the hairpin before the Schumacher esses completely on my own with no pressure behind me. I spun and lost 12s, and after the pit cycle I was 13th, with everyone behind me on Mediums. I didn't have a chance of holding off any of them, let alone try to claw back spots in front of me, so rather than fight a losing battle for worthless positions, I sent it off at T1 and let everyone through. I also didn't bother with saving fuel since the race was pointless by then, and I ran out just before the back straight and DNF'd in 19th. I would've needed 4th at minimum to improve my score, which I didn't quite have the pace for, even before my typically stupid driving kicked in, so at least it wasn't a total loss.

Slot 2: 2nd split depleted really quickly again, which meant I had to win to have a meaningful improvement in my points total, or finish 2nd for a small (basically worthless) improvement. So naturally I 🤬 the bed in qualifying and started P9, when my lap the previous slot would've gotten me P2. I decided to start on Hards then dump them on Lap 6 for Mediums. I almost got a Top 5 with this strategy, until idiot me showed up again and started divebombing everyone because I was on better tires. I kept going for lunges, realizing they were stupid, then having to back out to avoid collisions and take awkward lines as a result, which cost me even more time. Really made myself look like an absolute 🤬, but thankfully didn't ruin anyone's race. I then did the same exact thing as the previous race and ran myself off the track at the hairpin at the end of the 2nd sector. I didn't spin this time, but lost 4 spots. I was lucky to even get a Top 10 after 3 cars tangled in front of me on the last lap and 2 of them went off track, promoting me to 8th, with 6th and 7th right in front of me, and 9th right on my rear bumper. Points were useless of course.

Not going again because being put in Top Split for the final 3 slots is a recipe for disaster with this combo.

Last edited:
I’ve never felt so lost in this game. Absolutely out to lunch at NGP in the RSR. I really wish someone could tell me what I’m doing so different than others. I’m watching people take tenths off Me every turn. It’s like I’m on different tires. And I see people fishtailing and driving anything but smoothly yet still pull away. I see a guy that can close 1.5 sec on me in one lap drive like a monkey on a big wheel after he gets around me and wonder how the hell he caught me. It defies reason. I’m not THAT slow. But come races, it’s like the everyone else has cheat codes. What is going on? Are PS5 better somehow? Is something wrong with my wheel? Are all internet connections not equal? I don’t get it.
The only advantage PS5 users have, as far as I know, is that they get out earlier in qualifying due to faster loading times. In some combos, that leads to having an extra hotlap in qualy.

911 RSR requires very smooth inputs, you almost need not to push to actually go faster. If you try to consistently hit apexes and avoid slides, laptimes will start to improve. Not saying it's your case, but it's easy to get frustrated and overdrive sometimes, happens to me at least.

The only advantage PS5 users have, as far as I know, is that they get out earlier in qualifying due to faster loading times. In some combos, that leads to having an extra hotlap in qualy.

911 RSR requires very smooth inputs, you almost need not to push to actually go faster. If you try to consistently hit apexes and avoid slides, laptimes will start to improve. Not saying it's your case, but it's easy to get frustrated and overdrive sometimes, happens to me at least.
I posted a replay of my best FP lap on GTS Community. All comments and critiques are welcome.

Well I just got on few mins practice Bmw quali 9th finished p6. Had some blockers but I managed. I'm gonna do the last alot. I only raced the bmw a few times. Fun and I love the motor sound when ur breaking her down for corners.

Nothing much to write home about. Decided to race a couple slots in the morning on my Euro acct because I had a stacked afternoon. This is not an especially strong track for me, so at least I entered this race with very low expectations!! I sucked with all the cars we had to choose from, but sucked the least with the 911 so I went with that.

Before the second slot (not sure what time it is for you commies across the pond but it was 9:20 am for me in California), I hot lapped around for about 15 minutes to get my braking points right with the RSR. The best I could manage was a 1:57.2. Not bad (for me on this track), hopefully I can duplicate it come qualifying. First flying lap I hit a 1:57.1.... Nice!! Last flying lap I hit a 1:56.5....Whaaaaaaa???

Like others have said, I can ALWAYS expect my actual "Q" lap of an FIA race to be AT LEAST a half second slower than me just hot-lopping about during practice. Not to mention I'm not good at this track so I was really surprised. A 1:56.5 slotted me P-5 in a solid B/S lobby. P1-6 were all separated by 2/10th's and the rest of the field was at a minimum 1/2 second back.

Green flag goes up and I'm pleasantly surprised that P1 through P-6 in my mirror (... I use cockpit view) are all doing quick S-turns down the straight to warm up our tires before the braking zone.

I'm even more surprised as everyone ahead, and immediately behind me takes a conservative braking point and a nice wide arc going into turn 1. "No amateurs here" I think to myself. Just as I'm getting to the apex, I hear the all-too-familiar sound of screeching tires. I look at me radar and see a blue arrow closing in on me like a MIG-29 from TOP GUN. Like a crushing Little Mac "Leaping Uppercut" from Mike Tyson's "Punch Out", I'm sent into oblivion. (all you millennials can youtube the reference)

RACE OVER.

Or is it.....
Luckily I get reset quickly...and only in 11th place to boot!! Race not over!!

I make my way through Mercedes Arena and apex into turn 3 when all of the sudden.....BLAMMO!!! I get cold-cocked again and take a straight right to the jaw like when Foreman defeated Michael Moore. Only difference... this was the back of the pack coming through.

So there I am on lap 1....three corners in.....and in 20th place.

NOW MY RACE IS OVER.

With nowhere to go but up, I hammer down on hards for 7 laps and gain a few spots from people going off, gain a spot or 2 from people serving penalties. And end up in 12th going into the pits at the end of lap 7. From lap 8-12, I get into a real fun battle with the only other 2 Porsche's on the grid. We all follow nose to tail for pretty much all laps until the lead car of our 3 car train buckles from the constant pressure from myself and a "fellow" Brit, and he goes off at Dunlop. A little while later, my fellow countryman goes off at NGK when I show him a wheel on his inside and he outbreaks himself. Lap 13-14 I'm just by myself whistling Dixie.

Finished P-9.

///////////////////////

Race 2:

Went to my chiropractor appointment at 10am (getting older sucks), went to the gym to do the stair machine and swim a mile (no alpha-male workouts for me anymore), and made it back in time for the second to last Euro slot. Not sure if it was because of my arms being Jello from swimming or what, but I had zero pace during qualifying. I ended up driving waaaaaay to conservatively en-route to a 1:57.6 and 16th position on the grid. Ouch.

I start on hards and throughout the first half of the race, there were a couple guys all around me that were clearly on mediums and most likely getting frustrated by me because I wasn't letting them by. I was not driving dirty by any means whatsoever, but I was going to make them take the long way around every corner. As long as I made my intentions known early that I was defending, I figured its racing...and therefore fair. My strategy worked as those around me eventually got overzealous and went off into the sandbox..... or made their "medium stint" worthless, and by lap 6 and 7...they were done. I make my way up to like 10th or 11th by the time I pit for Mediums at the end of lap 7. By lap 9 I'm on P-6's tail (he pitted for mediums at lap 5) and stay there for 2 laps , showing him a wheel at every corner but backing out as I didn't want to force my way through spaniard/brazillian-style. As I'm trying to get around him for a couple laps, he's doing enough blocking where I would consider it dirty driving by anyone else that didn't have a "Red-Yellow-Red" striped flag next to their name.

Going into turn 1 at the end of lap 12, the Spaniard hits his normal braking point but alas..... his worn mediums finally betray him. He goes way wide and I sneak under him and get a decent apex out of T-1 and into Mercedes Arena. I take my normal line going into turn 3 and "WHACK".... he gutter-runs me waaaaaaaay up the inside and just clips my rear quarter panel. For some miraculous reason I don't spin. He gets the spot back but now everyone from mid-pack is on us. Knowing that his tires are just about done, I resort back to my strategy of showing him a wheel at every corner until he finally overcooks it at NGK.

Start of last lap, I have 5th trained on my sights and I'm drafting him hard on the home straight. Because of the Spaniard holding us up, all of the mid-pack is behind us about 5 deep. The beetle in 5th place is feeling the pressure and he overshoots his braking point by a mile into turn 1. I take my normal line and then as I apex into the turn, I once again hear the familiar screeching of tires....and I once again get a leaping left uppercut. This time from Mike Tyson himself!!!

The mid-pack all gets by me as I get reset. I finish 13th. I lose DR for a second race in a row. Life in the B's I suppose.

On a related note, I really think these races need to be about 5 minutes longer. Its hard to get genuine overtakes when racing clean. Even with these "longer" races, it takes laps to wear your opponent down and force them into a mistake. Especially in the higher lobbies. Even tho this race was better, I'm not sure how much more they can do with the multipliers. Maybe make it 4x fuel so it at least had the slightest bit of a fuel saving component?

On an unrelated note, how is everyone uploading images of their finishing positions??? I feel left out!!

Last edited:

True and true.

And you can get that "advantage" on the PS4: I have the very 1st model of the console (2013) and just bought an external SSD Drive and I'm now exiting the pits in 1st 90% of the time. Second youth!

Regarding the 911 @KosmoKazi , watching the replay of my race I had the feeling that the others were going super slow. But apparently "slow is fast" in this car. Plus you save the tyres. Pff, if only I had known before. I'm gonna fire my race engineer 🥲

Last edited:
Nothing much to write home about. Decided to race a couple slots in the morning on my Euro acct because I had a stacked afternoon. This is not an especially strong track for me, so at least I entered this race with very low expectations!! I sucked with all the cars we had to choose from, but sucked the least with the 911 so I went with that.

Before the second slot (not sure what time it is for you commies across the pond but it was 9:20 am for me in California), I hot lapped around for about 15 minutes to get my braking points right with the RSR. The best I could manage was a 1:57.2. Not bad (for me on this track), hopefully I can duplicate it come qualifying. First flying lap I hit a 1:57.1.... Nice!! Last flying lap I hit a 1:56.5....Whaaaaaaa???

Like others have said, I can ALWAYS expect my actual "Q" lap of an FIA race to be AT LEAST a half second slower than me just hot-lopping about during practice. Not to mention I'm not good at this track so I was really surprised. A 1:56.5 slotted me P-5 in a solid B/S lobby. P1-6 were all separated by 2/10th's and the rest of the field was at a minimum 1/2 second back.

Green flag goes up and I'm pleasantly surprised that P1 through P-6 in my mirror (... I use cockpit view) are all doing quick S-turns down the straight to warm up our tires before the braking zone.

I'm even more surprised as everyone ahead, and immediately behind me takes a conservative braking point and a nice wide arc going into turn 1. "No amateurs here" I think to myself. Just as I'm getting to the apex, I hear the all-too-familiar sound of screeching tires. I look at me radar and see a blue arrow closing in on me like a MIG-29 from TOP GUN. Like a crushing Little Mac "Leaping Uppercut" from Mike Tyson's "Punch Out", I'm sent into oblivion. (all you millennials can youtube the reference)

RACE OVER.

Or is it.....
Luckily I get reset quickly...and only in 11th place to boot!! Race not over!!

I make my way through Mercedes Arena and apex into turn 3 when all of the sudden.....BLAMMO!!! I get cold-cocked again and take a straight right to the jaw like when Foreman defeated Michael Moore. Only difference... this was the back of the pack coming through.

So there I am on lap 1....three corners in.....and in 20th place.

NOW MY RACE IS OVER.

With nowhere to go but up, I hammer down on hards for 7 laps and gain a few spots from people going off, gain a spot or 2 from people serving penalties. And end up in 12th going into the pits at the end of lap 7. From lap 8-12, I get into a real fun battle with the only other 2 Porsche's on the grid. We all follow nose to tail for pretty much all laps until the lead car of our 3 car train buckles from the constant pressure from myself and a "fellow" Brit, and he goes off at Dunlop. A little while later, my fellow countryman goes off at NGK when I show him a wheel on his inside and he outbreaks himself. Lap 13-14 I'm just by myself whistling Dixie.

Finished P-9.

///////////////////////

Race 2:

Went to my chiropractor appointment at 10am (getting older sucks), went to the gym to do the stair machine and swim a mile (no alpha-male workouts for me anymore), and made it back in time for the second to last Euro slot. Not sure if it was because of my arms being Jello from swimming or what, but I had zero pace during qualifying. I ended up driving waaaaaay to conservatively en-route to a 1:57.6 and 16th position on the grid. Ouch.

I start on hards and throughout the first half of the race, there were a couple guys all around me that were clearly on mediums and most likely getting frustrated by me because I wasn't letting them by. I was not driving dirty by any means whatsoever, but I was going to make them take the long way around every corner. As long as I made my intentions known early that I was defending, I figured its racing...and therefore fair. My strategy worked as those around me eventually got overzealous and went off into the sandbox..... or made their "medium stint" worthless, and by lap 6 and 7...they were done. I make my way up to like 10th or 11th by the time I pit for Mediums at the end of lap 7. By lap 9 I'm on P-6's tail (he pitted for mediums at lap 5) and stay there for 2 laps , showing him a wheel at every corner but backing out as I didn't want to force my way through spaniard/brazillian-style. As I'm trying to get around him for a couple laps, he's doing enough blocking where I would consider it dirty driving by anyone else that didn't have a "Red-Yellow-Red" striped flag next to their name.

Going into turn 1 at the end of lap 12, the Spaniard hits his normal braking point but alas..... his worn mediums finally betray him. He goes way wide and I sneak under him and get a decent apex out of T-1 and into Mercedes Arena. I take my normal line going into turn 3 and "WHACK".... he gutter-runs me waaaaaaaay up the inside and just clips my rear quarter panel. For some miraculous reason I don't spin. He gets the spot back but now everyone from mid-pack is on us. Knowing that his tires are just about done, I resort back to my strategy of showing him a wheel at every corner until he finally overcooks it at NGK.

Start of last lap, I have 5th trained on my sights and I'm drafting him hard on the home straight. Because of the Spaniard holding us up, all of the mid-pack is behind us about 5 deep. The beetle in 5th place is feeling the pressure and he overshoots his braking point by a mile into turn 1. I take my normal line and then as I apex into the turn, I once again hear the familiar screeching of tires....and I once again get a leaping left uppercut. This time from Mike Tyson himself!!!

The mid-pack all gets by me as I get reset. I finish 13th. I lose DR for a second race in a row. Life in the B's I suppose.

On a related note, I really think these races need to be about 5 minutes longer. Its hard to get genuine overtakes when racing clean. Even with these "longer" races, it takes laps to wear your opponent down and force them into a mistake. Especially in the higher lobbies. Even tho this race was better, I'm not sure how much more they can do with the multipliers. Maybe make it 4x fuel so it at least had the slightest bit of a fuel saving component?

On an unrelated note, how is everyone uploading images of their finishing positions??? I feel left out!!
Sometimes longer races can be a blessing and to others too long. How about starting P1. You get blasted off. Down to last. Now, you've got an extra 5 minutes of dread. Could be you stay P1, your strategy keeps you in P1, but during that last 5 minutes, it gives P2 the time they need to overtake you. If pnly the race were 5 minutes shorter! ;)

Hit the share button on your controller. Pick the media you want to send it to. Copy & Paste it here.

Happy with my overall positions at the end of Nations Season 1: 175th in EMEA, 32nd in the UK and 2nd in my region. It wasn't without its rough spots, but it was a consistent start bolstered by my best-ever Super Formula run at Catalunya and a podium drive at Fuji in Gr. 2.
Following on from @RacingGrandpa's suggestion, another method of sharing is by copying the screenshot to a USB stick from Capture Gallery (Media Gallery if you are using a PS5). From there, you can simply copy or transfer them onto a PC.

Last edited:
FWIW, I've always expected and assumed that the time of day DOES impact the grip level and therefore the tire model behavior in the game... can't prove it but it's always 'felt' that way, and it's a fairly standard and well-known aspect of racing and tire performance. So perhaps there is a little impact that swings the advantage of certain cars based on the priority of grip vs power vs other that plays into it.
It wouldn't surprise me either, but if it was a factor they would have the track/ ambient temp somewhere so those who are clued up can use that info, so likely it is not a factor.
Unfortunately, I was very unlucky to come out of the pits behind a 🤬 Brazilian who hadn't stopped yet, was on 8-lap old tyres and decided he wanted to try to ruin my race. He punt me on purpose 3 times, pushing me off the track and picking up penalties in the process. Absolute 🤬. All for nothing because by the time he served the penalties and pitted, he eventually finished 18th. But he succeeded in costing me 4 seconds in half a lap.
I know there are idiots everywhere and the reasonings in their heads indecipherable, but could this have been due to a country rivalry? I know during the 2014 world cup a Brazilian friend of mine were rooting for Argentina to go out at the Semi's as they considered it a national shame for Argentina to be in the final of their world cup. So was he overly aggressive due to your flag? If so that's a real shame and a small minded mentality from them.
Following on from @RacingGrandpa's suggestion, another method of sharing is by copying the screenshot to a USB stick from Capture Gallery (Media Gallery if you are using a PS5). From there, you can simply copy or transfer them onto a PC.
My PS4 doesn't recognise either my external hard drive or my USB stick so I'm stuck with the good old fashioned point my phone at the screen and click.

It's been a good season which includes a podium or two and a fantastic win at Suzuka.
1624531814780.png

Up 1,481 positions in EMEA
Up 247 positions in the UK
Up 2 positions in Bristol.
Some good forward progress.

I still find it mad you can't just share straight to your phone or laptop via bluetooth to massively simplify the process - unless I'm missing something and you actually can already do that... ?

Last edited:
My PS4 doesn't recognise either my external hard drive or my USB stick so I'm stuck with the good old fashioned point my phone at the screen and click.
That’s probably because they’re using the NTFS file system. (You can check this by right-clicking them on your computer and then clicking Properties.) The PS4 only recognizes FAT32 and exFAT, so you’d have to reformat your external hard drive and USB thumb drive under those to use them.

Last edited:
Back