2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Schedule has been updated, season ends on 29th Dec, just the one break on 1st Dec
21 22 Exhibition Series Summary D.png

21 22 Exhibition Series Nations D.png
21 22 Exhibition Series Manu D.png

Last edited:
New season, (slightly) new qualifying format, same old Ferrari!

In the minority I know, I'm really not a fan of Dragon Trail Seaside, I mean, it's alright, but I don't get the love for it.

Anyway, entered the race and amazingly not a single Supra, I saw this as a great opportunity if I could nail qualy, a 24:47 practice race time suggested there could be some very big points on offer. To be honest though I was worried about the new qualy system, I prefer tyre wear on and have never been someone who does exceptionally quick FP times. Target was a mid-35 in clean air, but two clips with the barrier ensured I could only manage a 1:35.9 which put me 13th on the grid

Started the race incident free but as per usual struggled on the cold tyres for a lap, this is SO evident in the replay! Got overtaken into the esses as I ran deep then only managed to hold 15th off thanks to staying in the tow of the Porsche that had got past me. A lap later, tyres up to temperature, I got straight up to the back of the Porsche and back past, then hunted down an Evo and again made the pass. Now on L5 I had around 1.5s to a trio of cars ahead and a decision to make.

I'd wanted to test a nine lap stint on softs pre race - but crashed on L6 of it! Nine is too many really, but going around L6 I'd closed in to just over 1s behind the trio in front and a fellow Ferrari that had started the race on softs had moved within half a second behind so I pulled the trigger and pitted at the end of L6.

Completing L7, the three cars that were ahead of me all exited the pits as I went past, on L8 I jumped two more that had chosen to go longer on their first stint. FIVE cars overtaken with the undercut! (THAT'S why I try these strats @kungtotte_ :lol:, not to be a bloody 'hipster'!). Had I run the extra lap I'd have pitted at the same time as the trio I was behind, it's so much easier to pass them if they're sat stationary in the pits!

Closing in on another Ferrari that still hadn't pitted and under pressure from a Renault on brand spanking new tyres, we reeled in the Ferrari through the first half of the lap and I lined him up through the esses getting a run down the left hand side, but I half expected the Renault to make a dive up the inside into the hairpin - which he did - too late however and he ran very deep. I tried to get the cut back but as I tried to turn in a Citroën behind that I'd also undercut tapped me up the back and rather than turning in behind the Renault I turned into the rear of it and ended up being very wide myself, losing two places while the Citroën gained two. Two laps later a little karma, as the Citroën clouted the barrier out of the chicane and the Renault and I went back past along with a Jag in pursuit.

Extremely mindful of how much tyre pain I was likely to be in at the end of the race, I didn't defend against the Jag when he had a run down the straight and I went down to 9th. I just wanted to look after the tyres and maintain the gap to the cars behind if possible. I was actually faster than the Jag between L10 and L12 but turned down a couple of opportunities to overtake because any fighting could drop me into the clutches of the Citroën and Porsche around 1s behind. On L13 though I'd opened up the gap behind and had the idea that I'd try to take the next opportunity to get past the Jag, so naturally, immediately clipped the barrier out of the chicane, fell back and that was that!

Finished 9th for 230 pts, I think without the bump off the Citroën I could have taken 7th, but despite a solid drive in the race it was all lost in qualy really, I should have been starting in the top eight. Really wanted to go again but was desperate for some sleep! Real life is going to get in the way a lot for me this season, next week though I have the scope for multiple attempts so hopefully can rake in a good score at Suzuka

(No pictures, sorry! Forgot to take screenshots - but might do a video of the replay)

Last edited:
Schedule has been updated, season ends on 29th Dec, just the one break on 1st Dec
View attachment 1087823View attachment 1087822View attachment 1087821
Ooh some of those changes could really suit me! Think I was looking at missing three or four of the Saturday races in Manufacturers, Interlagos is definitely back on the table!

Slot 1: Once again got paired with my usual racing partner @F1Bernardo, only for me to get disconnected in the warmup. Given how well he did, I'm very annoyed I couldn't partake in this race.

Slot 2: This time I was in with @Jwptexas, who I haven't seen in quite a while in a race. Qualified 11th and last of the 4 Corvettes after a conservative lap just to make sure I set a "banker" time in case of you-know-the-corner. I went even quicker on the 2nd lap in spite of catching someone at the start of my 2nd lap (he'd been way in front of me, but wasted is first out lap on Mediums, so he pitted and came out of the pits a couple seconds in front of me and was too slow to pull away from me). Unfortunately I messed up the CoD and erased the time I'd gained in the first sector, so my 2nd lap ended up slower.

I finished 7th but could've had 5th if I didn't hit the inside wall at the exit of the CoD. I escaped without engine damage somehow, but the loss of momentum cost me 3 spots and at least 3 seconds. I was 8th starting the last lap when I got past a Citroen on the straight as they were struggling to keep pace on their worn Mediums. The Citroen sent it at T1 and almost ran both of us off track. The Citroen went defensive into the hairpin at the bottom of the hill at the end of Sector 2, so I just braked early and waited for him to inevitably overshoot and give me a chance to cut back. It worked like a charm and I nabbed 7th overall and 2nd among the Corvettes. It was worth 217 points, which I feel isn't quite enough given the pace I had, but I don't trust myself to get through the CoD 15 more times, so I guess I'll take it...
It was great to see you out on the track after about four months away from the game. Decided to go in with no lube and it went about as expected. Quit the first two slots wasn't ready for the randomness that is the CoD with fuel load on.... felt Seaside in the Ford was one of my better tracks so caught final slot managed 253 points on a 4th place finish. I'm so rusty

2021 Exhibition Round 1
Dragon trail Seaside Gr3
DR A+/SR S Door no. 2

Seeing how the majority of YouTubers went with Ferrari, I decided to provide the world with an alternative content choice.

Ole Greddy packed up his smoking jacket, put away his PPK, and garaged the Aston. In its place, the ultimate driving machine, B M W. So, I slid in a fresh pair of New Balance and headed for the track in my sweet new whip.

The M6 fits like a glove at DTS. Its stable, good in corners, and had the tire wear to withstand a 7x multiplier. Top speed could be better but shes got just enough legs to hold back the competition.

I put in a solid qualy and managed Q4, running a 1:36.3xx. Not my best, but far from my worst. All I had to do now was not die and stay in the slip.

And that is exactly what I did!.......for 14.25 laps. P3 to p8 in one corner. Limped away with 190 points.

That same curb got me in my race too. Fortunately I only dropped my left sides in the sand and avoided beaching or spinning it. I definitely uttered the same words as I was trying to get my car back under control though. :lol:

New season, (slightly) new qualifying format, same old Ferrari!

In the minority I know, I'm really not a fan of Dragon Trail Seaside, I mean, it's alright, but I don't get the love for it.

Anyway, entered the race and amazingly not a single Supra, I saw this as a great opportunity if I could nail qualy, a 24:47 practice race time suggested there could be some very big points on offer. To be honest though I was worried about the new qualy system, I prefer tyre wear on and have never been someone who does exceptionally quick FP times. Target was a mid-35 in clean air, but two clips with the barrier ensured I could only manage a 1:35.9 which put me 13th on the grid

Started the race incident free but as per usual struggled on the cold tyres for a lap, this is SO evident in the replay! Got overtaken into the esses as I ran deep then only managed to hold 15th off thanks to staying in the tow of the Porsche that had got past me. A lap later, tyres up to temperature, I got straight up to the back of the Porsche and back past, then hunted down an Evo and again made the pass. Now on L5 I had around 1.5s to a trio of cars ahead and a decision to make.

I'd wanted to test a nine lap stint on softs pre race - but crashed on L6 of it! Nine is too many really, but going around L6 I'd closed in to just over 1s behind the trio in front and a fellow Ferrari that had started the race on softs had moved within half a second behind so I pulled the trigger and pitted at the end of L6.

Completing L7, the three cars that were ahead of me all exited the pits as I went past, on L8 I jumped two more that had chosen to go longer on their first stint. FIVE cars overtaken with the undercut! (THAT'S why I try these strats @kungtotte_ :lol:, not to be a bloody 'hipster'!). Had I run the extra lap I'd have pitted at the same time as the trio I was behind, it's so much easier to pass them if they're sat stationary in the pits!

Closing in on another Ferrari that still hadn't pitted and under pressure from a Renault on brand spanking new tyres, we reeled in the Ferrari through the first half of the lap and I lined him up through the esses getting a run down the left hand side, but I half expected the Renault to make a dive up the inside into the hairpin - which he did - too late however and he ran very deep. I tried to get the cut back but as I tried to turn in a Citroën behind that I'd also undercut tapped me up the back and rather than turning in behind the Renault I turned into the rear of it and ended up being very wide myself, losing two places while the Citroën gained two. Two laps later a little karma, as the Citroën clouted the barrier out of the chicane and the Renault and I went back past along with a Jag in pursuit.

Extremely mindful of how much tyre pain I was likely to be in at the end of the race, I didn't defend against the Jag when he had a run down the straight and I went down to 9th. I just wanted to look after the tyres and maintain the gap to the cars behind if possible. I was actually faster than the Jag between L10 and L12 but turned down a couple of opportunities to overtake because any fighting could drop me into the clutches of the Citroën and Porsche around 1s behind. On L13 though I'd opened up the gap behind and had the idea that I'd try to take the next opportunity to get past the Jag, so naturally, immediately clipped the barrier out of the chicane, fell back and that was that!

Finished 9th for 230 pts, I think without the bump off the Citroën I could have taken 7th, but despite a solid drive in the race it was all lost in qualy really, I should have been starting in the top eight. Really wanted to go again but was desperate for some sleep! Real life is going to get in the way a lot for me this season, next week though I have the scope for multiple attempts so hopefully can rake in a good score at Suzuka

(No pictures, sorry! Forgot to take screenshots - but might do a video of the replay)

how you top guys are able to get that Ferrari around that course once the tires start wearing is beyond me. Good stuff!

how you top guys are able to get that Ferrari around that course once the tires start wearing is beyond me. Good stuff!
Totally, for me it's almost the ultimate test of throttle control, that I miserably fail everytime I try it.

As for yesterday, here is how it went for my 1st night in the Evo in EMEA :

1st slot : DC
2nd : Q10 - P8 (181 pts)
3rd : DC
4th : Q3 - P4 (228 pts)

A sitting duck in the straights and too cautious in the twisty parts of the track. I also didn't make the most of the good brakes of the Lancer as I was saving tyres, probably too much.

I'm surprised by the number of A+ drivers that signed for Mitsubishi. It's gonna be tough to finish in the Top10 :/

And I really hope that these DCs don't become too frequent, it's so depressing.

Pretty excited by this season overall!

Last edited:

Qualifying went to crap thanks to a slower car impeding my lap and then getting divebombed (and then again impeded by a guy who just brakes right in the chicane). Not a fan of the 5 minutes for qualifying, just encourages this nonsense and people who like to wait for a clear track like me have no chance of getting one in without some turtle just being in the way.

Race itself was less annoying, though there was that one orange Porsche that just was racing everyone like trash.

One peculiar thing I would like you guys to pay attention to is lap 13 and 14 at the chicane. Both times, the cars in front do not actually hit the walls but somehow the game treats it as they did. Granted Lap 14 had abit of a slight lag spike that I was lucky not to have been affected by, but I thought that was really bizarre.

Last edited:
Just close your eyes and hope for the best!

You just have to be very, very careful with it and always make sure you've got it balanced through the corners. Once the rears start going anything slightly overcooked into or out of a corner will cause it to get loose

Went in with about 10 mins of practice and was put into a lobby with quite a few familiar faces.
Had a clean quali lap though it was nothing special and that put me P12.
My main target for the race was to just survive so I did play it safe for a lot of it and it did work out. Had a nice battle to finish off (though I probably should've been more aggressive and got the move done earlier)
In the end P8, not a bad result and had a fun race so no complaints from me.

Race Replay

View attachment 1087601View attachment 1087602View attachment 1087603

Great battle with @super_gt !! Was a nice surprise as I watched his video tonight. Well done.

For my first FIA event I guess I didn't do bad.

First race I had second place locked up but made a stupid mistake late braking after an overtake, spun and fell to 11th. Caught the pack and a WRX blatantly pushed me into the grass while overtaking in the bend before T1 on the last lap.

Second race all A lobby Quali 7 but was .5 odd due to slow traffic. I'm usually low 36's. Made my way to fourth while a slower RSR kept defending every corner while 1and 2 kept cruising. I was seriously on his bumper for 3 laps and couldn't cleanly make a move without contact. Almost had him out of the final turn and missed a podium by .2. Would have passed him but I got a little antsy on exit throttle. Oh, well. I'm at 177 points and happy, I guess.

Pretty clean racing in the top of the lobby but the bottom was a different story.

I signed with Toyota and have a feeling the 86 won't be as strong as the Supra. And I need to learn how to drive it.

Last edited:
For my first FIA event I guess I didn't do bad.

First race I had second place locked up but made a stupid mistake late breaking after an overtake, spun and fell to 11th. Caught the pack and a WRX blatantly pushed me into the grass while overtaking in the bend before T1 on the last lap.

Second race all A lobby Quali 7 but was .5 odd due to slow traffic. I'm usually low 36's. Made my way to fourth while a slower RSR kept defending every corner while 1and 2 kept cruising. I was seriously on his bumper for 3 laps and couldn't cleanly make a move without contact. Almost had him out of the final turn and missed a podium by .2. Would have passed him but I got a little antsy on exit throttle. Oh, well. I'm at 177 points and happy, I guess.

Pretty clean racing in the top of the lobby but the bottom was a different story.

I signed with Toyota and have a feeling the 86 won't be as strong as the Supra. And I need to learn how to drive it.
Aren't the FIA races so much more fun than anything else in the game? I was so glad that @Jwptexas talked me into doing them last year.

The 86 is a strong car at Suzuka, I think. And with your pace, I think you'll do just fine overall. I've got some work to do to catch up to you. Hope to keep making progress.

Do we know what the car is yet for Sat?
What was it last time? It looks like a similar selection. Think I used a GT40 IIRK

No there is no GT40...I know I tried the Fugu out, but have a feeling it was a Porsche, going to use the Fugu regaurdless as it's a crap shoot as to what happens in this race. 50% skill 99% luck.

Last edited:
@MCL1974: Not as sophisticated as yours, but I took a liking to these 3 simple special colours so I used them with some stickers.

View attachment 1087875
nice one! Really like the use of bold, bright colours, something I am not very good with myself unfortunately. My design is as usual a bit dark and broody, guess it reflects my personality. 😁 My wife incisted to include a bit of bright yellow to make it less depressing, not sure yet if I will keep it though.

Noticed some good designs here for the coming season, that xxPinkxx Mercedes AMG I saw earlier is especially nice!

Currently testing for the coming race at Suzuka, trying to get to grips with the FR Jaguar. Not really used to FR, always preferred MR. I have done some good lap times, but not very good yet at consistency...a lot of spins and other mishaps so far. So need more practice.

1634907801553.png

nice one! Really like the use of bold, bright colours, something I am not very good with myself unfortunately. My design is as usual a bit dark and broody, guess it reflects my personality. 😁 My wife incisted to include a bit of bright yellow to make it less depressing, not sure yet if I will keep it though.

Noticed some good designs here for the coming season, that xxPinkxx Mercedes AMG I saw earlier is especially nice!

Currently testing for the coming race at Suzuka, trying to get to grips with the FR Jaguar. Not really used to FR, always preferred MR. I have done some good lap times, but not very good yet at consistency...a lot of spins and other mishaps so far. So need more practice.

View attachment 1088025
I approve of the black/yellow combo. 👍👍
7431015266641805332_0.jpg

Aren't the FIA races so much more fun than anything else in the game? I was so glad that @Jwptexas talked me into doing them last year.

The 86 is a strong car at Suzuka, I think. And with your pace, I think you'll do just fine overall. I've got some work to do to catch up to you. Hope to keep making progress.
Totally. I'm glad I signed up. It's really good practice for GT7 and I prefer longer races with more strategy.

With that said my practice lobbies will be FIA heavy so feel free to jump in and do laps.

Besides being fast, what I recall about the last time we did this one is that the Golf was a tank of a machine, very stable in contact situations, so it was becoming the preferred one by the end of the night. I assume it will be a great choice again this week.
I think the Megane will take hits quite well too, simply because it's also FF so it's harder to spin out. Last season when this combo came up, I'd already been planning to try the FFs since I was expecting them to be more stable, and after @Mistah_MCA confirmed they were quick enough to keep pace with the best cars, I knew I was going to use the Golf. I got hit in the side TWICE in the final turn in qualifying and knocked into the wall, but the car was never in danger of actually spinning. I'm going with the Golf again this time.

Totally. I'm glad I signed up. It's really good practice for GT7 and I prefer longer races with more strategy.

With that said my practice lobbies will be FIA heavy so feel free to jump in and do laps.
I'd love to race more, in particular in private lobbies with friends. So I'll try to do so when I can...

That said, I think that on a chart of DR/K' speed vs time spent playing the game, I'm in the very lower quadrant on time spent playing. Somedays I feel grateful I can run in the 40-50k DR range and do well enough, when I'm pretty certain I put in less time and practice than many... just isn't as much time left after work, parenting, etc.!

I'd love to race more, in particular in private lobbies with friends. So I'll try to do so when I can...

That said, I think that on a chart of DR/K' speed vs time spent playing the game, I'm in the very lower quadrant on time spent playing. Somedays I feel grateful I can run in the 40-50k DR range and do well enough, when I'm pretty certain I put in less time and practice than many... just isn't as much time left after work, parenting, etc.!
I hear ya. Im fortunate enough to have a bit of time on my hands which helps being a rookie.

Right now I don't have many friends in the private lobby. Im just learning GR4 so I'm just running laps to get to know it, tire wear, and a quicker way around the track. Hopefully I'll be comfy enough br race day. It seems the 86 has an advantage in tire wear which is good because I'm not that bad on them. I'll sacrifice pace for more consistent laps any day.

Practicing private and messing around in the public practice races seemed to help me out quite a bit with the first race too but learning a car, Q pace, and race pace on 3 tire models is a bit of work in 6 days. Lol

Just had a quick look at the top FP time in Oceania for SSRX and the throttle is held at about 80-90% for the whole lap. Wtf is going on with that? Is it only for the Supra or are all cars quicker just below full throttle?
It's a bug with the time trials at SSRX. I remember previous daily races with the Ford GT here were also like this. No need to worry about the race, just go full throttle 👍

Back