"FIA Rally Star" Will Hunt for New Driving Talent on WRC 9

Doubt it,Was suggested during Dirt Rally days by lotsa players but nothing came of it.What with the WRC going hybrid there might not be a WRC anymore cause who apart from kids are going to go see a hoover go past sideways?
# No turbo pops/bangs,No buy.

Doubt it,Was suggested during Dirt Rally days by lotsa players but nothing came of it.What with the WRC going hybrid there might not be a WRC anymore cause who apart from kids are going to go see a hoover go past sideways?
# No turbo pops/bangs,No buy.

Absolutely. Next year is the last season I may ever watch.

Remember 2 strokes ?

My guess 2025 no more bangs,No more pops.
Being fascinated by rally since I was a kid and have being lucky to watch the sport evolve for 50 years.
All my mates thought Brocky or Johnson could drive,The blokes I looked up to were driving group b/a/wrc cars and had weird names.

Remember 2 strokes ?

Being fascinated by rally since I was a kid and have being lucky to watch the sport evolve for 50 years.
All my mates thought Brocky or Johnson could drive,The blokes I looked up to were driving group b/a/wrc cars and had weird names.

It might be Ok with hybrid technology but as soon as it goes full electric I'm out. Sound is such an important element of Motorsport & especially in Rally, it gives the cars character & gets the blood pumping. When I've had the momentarily, unfortunate experience of Formula E whilst switching channels, I feel....absolutely nothing.

It's so sad it's come to this. Other people who don't follow/like cars & Motorsport don't understand, it feels the only sport I love is being cruelly taken away, why us ?

Please God no!!!
Electric are really sweet to drive as an every day car but for motorsport as dull as soot.

It's so sad it's come to this. Other people who don't follow/like cars & Motorsport don't understand, it feels the only sport I love is being cruelly taken away, why us ?
And it really doesn’t have to be this way.
Formula one are developing synthetic fuels which seem actually a better solution to both motorsport and domestic vehicle use.
Win win really.

Last edited by a moderator:
And it really doesn’t have to be this way.
Formula one are developing synthetic fuels which seem actually a better solution to both motorsport and domestic vehicle use.
Win win really.

Don't get me started on electric vehicles being better for the planet. BS.
And before anyone wants an argument, I'm not interested, it's my opinion & it won't change.

Electric cars, the answer to a problem that doesn’t exist.
Big petroleum companies have synthetic solutions to the problem of the planet running out of fossil fuels and the modern internal combustion engine and it’s associated technologies are cleaner than a cows fart.

Big petroleum companies have synthetic solutions to the problem of the planet running out of fossil fuels and the modern internal combustion engine and it’s associated technologies are cleaner than a cows fart.

Exactly. No one talks about the real atmosphere destroying industry, ie avation & the jet engine, oh no bad for business so that's allowed.

Wow this thread descended in bull**** in record time.

Great to see initiatives like this. Hopefully it'll be something that can be followed.

On electric motor racing, its coming, like it or lump it, you'll either continue to follow racing or you'll consign yourself to intentionally not bothering because you disagree with the fundamental principals of car based pollution. And thats fine, everyone's entitled to their opinions whether right or wrong in the grand scheme of things.

" Wow this thread descended in bull**** in record time."
It would appear that your a authority on such matters.

" Wow this thread descended in bull**** in record time."
It would appear that your a authority on such matters.
Can I pipe in, given that I wrote a paper for my masters on the subject (and that's a masters within the automotive industry)?

A few facts, ICE's are not 'cleaner than a cows fart', electric cars have less of an ecological impact over the whole life regardless of what's used to produce the electricity, synthetic fuels are not a solution (as they will do nada to reduce climate change).

Electric is here to stay (unless they can solve the current issues with hydrogen fuel cells, and those things are as dull as hell to drive), and while I will miss the ICE and its contribution to cars and motorsport, I'm not going to abandon either because of it, particularly given that its the racing, engineering and driver skill that makes it for me.

Exactly. No one talks about the real atmosphere destroying industry, ie avation & the jet engine, oh no bad for business so that's allowed.
Yes, they do, how many articles and peer-reviewed papers on it would you like?

Google Scholar has over 120,000

As I said, yes electric cars make sense as an everyday solution.

But for sports cars, weekend fun car etc and definitely motorsport, ice with hybrid and synthetic fuel with associated catalytic converters and direct injection clean burn technologies, still have a place and make more sense than a wholesale ban on said vehicles.

But for sports cars, weekend fun car etc and definitely motorsport, ice with hybrid and synthetic fuel with associated catalytic converters and direct injection clean burn technologies, still have a place and make more sense than a wholesale ban on said vehicles.
Why?

I can only speak from my own experience, my daily driver chr hybrid is fine for what it does, but dull.
My weekend toy is a v8 bmw 840, but I’d only put maybe 1000miles per year on it, it’s fun.

So I’m still maintaining a decent carbon footprint whilst not denying myself fun.
And I’m not anti electric for everyday motoring, my next car will be full electric, but I’d not for example change any of my motorbikes for electric as they just don’t work, with too much weight and too little range.

I’m not the biggest f1 fan, more MotoGP/superbikes, but I applaud f1 for their vision of sustainability with move to hybrid and synthetic fuels, proving this combination with clean burn technologies still have a place in today’s and indeed tomorrow’s world.

From a motorsport fans perspective, what would you prefer to watch between f1 and fe?
Or MotoGP and moto e.

And sunny Sunday, which do you prefer to go for a ride on, your thumping v twin sp1 or some sort of 500kg battery electric thing with a range of 70 miles if your lucky?

I can only speak from my own experience, my daily driver chr hybrid is fine for what it does, but dull.
My weekend toy is a v8 bmw 840, but I’d only put maybe 1000miles per year on it, it’s fun.

So I’m still maintaining a decent carbon footprint whilst not denying myself fun.
And I’m not anti electric for everyday motoring, my next car will be full electric, but I’d not for example change any of my motorbikes for electric as they just don’t work, with too much weight and too little range.

I’m not the biggest f1 fan, more MotoGP/superbikes, but I applaud f1 for their vision of sustainability with move to hybrid and synthetic fuels, proving this combination with clean burn technologies still have a place in today’s and indeed tomorrow’s world.

From a motorsport fans perspective, what would you prefer to watch between f1 and fe?
Or MotoGP and moto e.

And sunny Sunday, which do you prefer to go for a ride on, your thumping v twin sp1 or some sort of 500kg battery electric thing with a range of 70 miles if your lucky?

But thats comparing a dull crossover with a sports car. That's like saying my Dacia Duster is boring and dull compared to my Twingo RS133. Stating the bleeding obvious.

Having driven a Renault Zoe, one of the near top spec ones with the top motor, I've had that taste of what is to come with electric cars. The response and acceleration in the Zoe was very surprising, in a good way, instant torque and power with no drop off compared to my RS which has flat spots low down and runs out of torque and power past 5k. The RS is naturally better in the corners being a hot hatch but the Zoe isn't aimed at that. But it was still a blast to drive and is a very reassuring car when looking to the future.

As it all starts to come to fruition, the next Clio RS being hybrid for example and probably full electric after that, it will come full circle and then we're talking about a hot hatch that can throw down its 220hp instantly with razor sharp handling.

The MotoGP/E and F1/E comparisons at the moment are a bit pointless. F1 and FE are too different as a concept to be comparable, if FE ran on F1 circuits with a small increase in power, it would be just as good as F1 in terms of the racing, plus with free to air coverage, lots of big manufacturers etc, the future is really bright for FE. Moto E is in its 2nd season after a rough ride to get there.cthe racing is just a spectacular as any of the other motorcycle series because they are still riding fast bikes and its still competitve.

But the whole conversation started from the apparent disappointment in WRC going hybrid. WEC, F1 have been there for years, BTCC is going there, NASCAR and IndyCar are going there. Plus many more. RX is going full electric, IoM TT has an electric class. Its just how it is, if more people were open to it and embraced it, it would get better faster instead if everything being held back at fear of upsetting these so called petrolheads and end up being half baked and taking too long.

That's a poor comparison, particularly given that electrics that are both fun to drive and will outperform the majority fo road cars exist.

Or MotoGP and moto e.
That depends on the quality of the racing, not the type of fuel, quite frankly since its inception FE has provided a lot closer racing and a less predictable outcome that F1 has.

I don't ride bikes anymore, but in all honesty, I still care more about how something drives/rides more than what powers it.

What you are effectively saying is the reason why you don't what the change to occur, which is perfectly fine, but its an emotional reaction to change, rather than a real explanation as to why it would 'make more sense'.

What you are effectively saying is the reason why you don't what the change to occur, which is perfectly fine, but its an emotional reaction to change, rather than a real explanation as to why it would 'make more sense'.
To be fair, yes, in a nutshell.
I actually had a first gen Nissan Leaf, and yes I appreciate electric and the benefits, but my heart is with ice, particularly two strokes which I raced most of my career on.
So yes, emotional for me!
So your right, in my case

Edit

Also I do care very much what powers my bike, much prefer thumpy v twin than four cylinder for example. Wouldn’t ever enjoy an electric powered one, too heavy and no character.

Also the tt zero races are boring, and one lap!!
Hardly a race.

Last edited:
Back