Fiat/Abarth 500

• Thread starter Moglet
  • 224 comments
Yeah, why exactly did they decide to ball-gag it? I really don't understand Fiat sometimes...

If you checked DeviantART out these days, you'd see why. Artist-types apparently find bondage hot. :nervous:

Yeah, I don't get it either.

I think they ruined the Punto withe new nose, the new Abarth is OTT. I think Fiat have sold out the Abarth brand and tarnished. The original Abarth Punto was perfect and the 500 was acceptable, now they're just vulgar.

I wouldn't go as far as to say they've "sold out" - the current Abarths are absolutely cracking cars and genuinely up there with the best in class for performance and fun - they're certainly more worthy of the badge than the old Abarth Stilo or Seicento (both of which I do actually like... but they aren't Abarths) - but I do hope that Fiat doesn't expand the Abarth range too far as beyond a certain point it ceases to become special - sort of like how Ford treated the Ghia badge so that it became utterly meaningless (a "Ghia" Fiesta was just a normal one with a shiny grille and velour seats... mmm, velour).

New Fiat 500 upside-down edition

_47639823_car.jpg

A learner driver taking her second lesson managed to flip her instructor's car on to its roof in Oxford.

The woman, in her mid-20s, hit a gatepost on Old Road in Headington, causing the Fiat 500 car owned by driving instruction firm BSM to flip.

Paramedics treated the woman and the instructor for cuts to their hands and elbows at the scene of Sunday's crash.

BSM described the crash as a "freak incident" and said it took health and safety very seriously.

Communications manager Paul Shepherd said: "We have spoken to the learner driver who is fine and is already hoping to book her next lesson with us soon.

"The instructor responded calmly, professionally and swiftly, and is back on the road in a new car."

Russ Dunne, 30, of Old Road, was talking to a political candidate on his doorstep on the opposite side of the road when the crash happened.

He said: "I heard the car accelerating then I heard a loud bang when it hit the gatepost.

"I saw it roll on to its side and on to its roof. I hoped no-one was seriously injured and I was worried it would catch on fire if fuel was leaking."

Mr Dunne rushed over to help pull the learner driver out of the passenger window. The instructor had already managed to pull himself free.

"The instructor was very quiet and calm he just said 'accidents happen', but the driver was in real shock and kept saying she couldn't believe it."

Source

I think the term "whoops" would probably be appropriate...

turtle2ef3.jpg

That is all.

Incidentally I discovered the other day that my instructor has changed to a Mini Clubman D (or rather has been forced to by a new company).

MiniCooperClubman_1_440.jpg

That's £16,000 of car with 110bhp - who on earth thought that was a good place to stick a learner?

Last edited:
That's £16,000 of car with 110bhp - who on earth thought that was a good place to stick a learner?

In my home town there's an instructor car that's a Mini Cooper with a private plate about Aston Villa :banghead:

*snip*

That is all.

Incidentally I discovered the other day that my instructor has changed to a Mini Clubman D (or rather has been forced to by a new company).

*snip*

£5 says it gets put on the black list due to poor all-round vision.

My friend (who's learning in it) did comment on that actually. And let's not forget that the cabrio was banned by the DSA a couple of years ago for the same reason.

After driving one round the track a few months ago, I'd disagree.

But after loaning one for a week just this month... definitely. No wing mirrors... no rear view... ugh.

When does Australia even get any Abarth? They told me two years ago that it was months away and yet, here I am, along with thousands of others who would snap it up in a heartbeat, still waiting. Bloody Ateco...

You? An 18 year old Aussie teenager? Would you honestly snap it up? I know I can't afford it, but props to you if you can.

caradavice.com.au
And the best news is that we’re going to get a shot at it in Australia, with the cabriolet version to launch locally sometime after the 500 Abarth coupe, which arrives mid-year.

I've heard something along those lines a few too many times before. Here is hoping, anyway...

Hm. Though this would probably be for the lower engine classes for "those" people who think AWD is some kind wonderful, end all solution to bad weather, my mouth does salivate at the idea of one of those with about 200-220 HP.

If it's a performance AWD model then good, if it's an SX-4 type competitor then it's useless.

Well the 500 is based on the Panda which already is available as a 4x4 ( even the first Panda was available as 4x4 and was and still is used by Police forces in the Alps as it seems to be a real useful "mountain goat" ) so I guess it will be just that, a more rugged 500 to further extend the niche market.

I agree with the above. Unlikely to be a hot version, more likely to be a rugged off-road style thing that'll appeal to people in less accessible areas but fancy something more chic than the Panda.

I agree with the above. Unlikely to be a hot version, more likely to be a rugged off-road style thing that'll appeal to people in less accessible areas but fancy something more chic than the Panda.
Yum, with unpainted plastic bumpers all around for that "soft roader" look.

On the Panda I think it works really well. Panda 4x4 is the coolest off-roader on sale I reckon. On the 500? Smacks of a niche too far.

Well, if it's anything like the Panda 4x4, then, yeah, I'm all for it. If it's just something for people who don't want a Subaru then...yeah.

It seems pretty awesome, and I think Fiat could do well with the 500 here once it arrives. The biggest hurdle they're going to have is the dealer network, and with the list that has already leaked out before, it is somewhat disappointing.

Generally speaking, if Fiat were smart, any city that has a MINI dealer should probably have a Fiat shop as well.

It looks interesting, but the Sport model has lost a bit of the original charm of the 500 due to the Punto Evo fittings on the front. The foglights are too modern for my liking. Also, notice the reflectors in front of the front wheel arches. Is that a US thing?

Yeah, the reflectors are standard practice on U.S. models I think, or at least European models sold in the U.S. The MINI has them too, as does the Lotus Elise.

I wonder if "Sport" will be the base trim for the 500 in the States, just like Cooper is for the MINI? Not a fan of that practice. The Cooper name has been completely urinated on by making it effectively the base model over there. I suppose "Sport" is better than making the Abarth the default car, but I agree with you Mog that it takes away some of the charm of things like the "Pop" that you can get here in the UK.

At the same time, it's understandable. For small cars to sell in the States you need to fill them to the brim with kit otherwise nobody will ever downsize.

Yeah, the reflectors are standard practice on U.S. models I think, or at least European models sold in the U.S. The MINI has them too, as does the Lotus Elise.

All cars sold in the US have to have reflectors, most brands sneak them in with the headlight/taillight assembly. I don't know the exact reasoning but I think it has to do with other cars being able to see you during nightime driving if you don't have your lights on.

Back