FIFA 2002 Discussion

• Thread starter KevinPSX
  • 13 comments
I apologize if this has been discussed before. I did a search in the console gaming section and found nothing.

I think this is a pretty good game. It doesn't always seem very realistic, but it's fun to play and there are a lot of different teams to make things interesting. The game seems to encourage a bit too much long passing and not enough of a short pass possession game. For example, the easiest way to score is to clear the ball from your defensive half and have a forward slide tackle the ball away from the opponent's defender. Then boot the ball past the bad A.I. keeper. The score tends to be way too high (even on the highest difficulty level).

What formations do you guys use? I typically use 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 with everybody straight across? Does anyone like to mix things up and play with a sweeper or have some of the defenders come up on the wing? I was playing 4-3-3 and switched by defenders to have the two outside guys with arrows pointing up. That made my forwards play defense, along with a few other wierd changes.

I don't have it and I don't play soccer. I was thinking about getting it though. Maybe I will someday. :)

Originally posted by KevinPSX
I apologize if this has been discussed before. I did a search in the console gaming section and found nothing.

By the way, that was a smart way to go. Searching first. Many of the newer guys don't do that often. Some of the older guys don't even do that. Just wanted to tell you GOOD JOB.

Originally posted by KevinPSX

I think this is a pretty good game. It doesn't always seem very realistic, but it's fun to play and there are a lot of different teams to make things interesting. The game seems to encourage a bit too much long passing and not enough of a short pass possession game. For example, the easiest way to score is to clear the ball from your defensive half and have a forward slide tackle the ball away from the opponent's defender. Then boot the ball past the bad A.I. keeper. The score tends to be way too high (even on the highest difficulty level).

What formations do you guys use? I typically use 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 with everybody straight across? Does anyone like to mix things up and play with a sweeper or have some of the defenders come up on the wing? I was playing 4-3-3 and switched by defenders to have the two outside guys with arrows pointing up. That made my forwards play defense, along with a few other wierd changes.
Well i dont have FIFA 2002 but i do have the 2001 and well the only time i play this game is when my brother comes around. We both kick each others A**'s . And yes the game does tend to get alot of high scores when i play the comp. For me even the hardest level is not hard at all.

You can crank up the difficulty by just playing better teams. But if you're playing you're playing, say, Manchester United vs. Arsenal, your team will win nine times out of ten. That said, somtimes you can make mistakes and find yourself down a goal or two. If a few too many defenders come forward the other team might have a one on one with your goalie, in which case the keeper AI is so bad that it's a guaranteed goal. Teams have scored on me from just past midfield a few times.

You guys are too good, I get my crack kicked when I put it on World Class level (whatever the hardest is). I usually play it on pro level, that's when I'm competitive.

I usually run a 4-4-2, with the outside midfielders up. If I am going to play a really good offensive team ie. ManU or Real Madrid, somebody like that, then I always play a 3-5-2 with a sweeper and my midfield pushed up.

:soccer: :soccer: :soccer:

Good to see other people on here enjoy the beautiful game :D

Do you all ever do a game where your on the same team. It is actually quite fun, takes a bit to get used to. Everybody always wants to go to the ball. When you score a goaaaaaaaallll playing two people on the same team it sure is satisfying.

Thought you all would get a kick out of these. The first picture is a poster designed by an Argentine condom company(Tulipan) to promote the soccer match between Argentina and Brazil.
The second is a poster created by Brazil to respond to the first poster.

Attachments

• argentina_cndm1.jpg
    argentina_cndm1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 23
HAHAHAHA Man thoes 2 teams have to be my fav. ones. I cant wait till the World Cup This comming summer. :D

Yeah, World Cup 2002 should be nice. Especially at 3 a.m. in the morning. The Univision coverage should be great. I don't speak Sapnish, but I know how to translate "Gol!" Pablo Ramirez is great. Better to not understand a word he says that pick up every letter of Jack Edwards's speech. Hopefully Rob Stone will be anouncing a lot of games for ABC and ESPN/ESPN2. He was great in the USA-Mexico women's exhibition game.

Well, qualifying can be a little difficult unless you're a top team. I had a tough time playing as Scotland and qualifying in UEFA. I finished second in my group and had a hard time beating Poland in a two-leg playoff.

Right now I'm playing as Guam in AFC qualifying. I've made it through the first round and am almost halfway through the second stage.

I'm just about done qualifying as Brazil from CONMEBOL.

One of the disappointing things about the game is the lack of polish. By polish, I mean the not-too-pretty interface, the lack of statistics, and the occasional bugs. There are way too few stats. Goals and cards? How about shots and fouls? And that's just a start with things that I know FIFA 2002 keeps track of. Then add assists, tackles, and a bunch of team stats.

The interface is pathetic compared to Madden or NCAA 2002. Even as far back as 1999 NBA Live had a nice interface. But some of the lesser titles like FIFA and March Madness still have to put up with an ugly presentation. And occasionally the stats will mess up and you'll see the wrong player listed in the goals leaderboard.

If EA made a bit more effort this game would be much better.

As for the gameplay, I was watching a real soccer game (US v. Costa Rica) earlier, and it's such a difference. In FIFA, your players don't make a steady progress toward the other goal when you have the ball like they do in real soccer. This forces you to rely on long passes over the top.

[edit]--I decided to set up a world cup. I put in all the right teams and kept randomizing the brackets until the seeded teams fell right. As of now, the USA is set to play in the round of 16 against Sweden.

I finished up all the tournaments and decided to start a season in the Premier League.

WOW!

You can go for the Treble! Depending on how good your team is you compete either for the Champions' League or the UEFA Cup (or neither), as in real life. I thought the season mode was just a little add-on with simple league play. I was very wrong!

Back